Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hey hey hey! Mr P! How the devil are you sir?

• Options

Well not good at the moment, terrible cough/ throat but getting better now. No parkrun tomorrow but maybe a gentle run on Sunday. Not a bad time for an enforced rest really in terms of spring marathon I guess. Club place for London is looking unlikely so perhaps Manchester next year. 

Swimming image

• Options
    Yep go for Manchester Mr P. It's not far for you to travel and is supposed to be fast. Did you do it last year? Are you putting in a asics26.2 entry? Hope you're feeling better soon. That goes for everyone else feeling a bit rubbish at the moment. Guess it is just that time of year

Released myself back into the running community this morning. Heaton parkrun 24th in 20:05. Little gutted not under 20 but am pretty happy with it and foot doesn't seem to be hurting too much. Might substitute a mid week swim with a run next week!

Malcs with your running at the moment are you going to have a new target time for London? Your times are not too dissimilar to mine so in the right conditions you should be able to dip under 3:10 easily..

Always fancied a training weekend McHilly. Let us know what it is like. Hope you have good weather for it
  • Options
    Nice one Nayan!

Well I think I had a season's best ParkRun despite prevailing wheeze and a steep hill each lap, lovely course really, 24:24.

Didn't do the XC, wish I had but everything was against, incuding that we didn't arrive early enough for me to register and do other than run t the start and carry on, no chance to test various shoes, it was chucking it down sideways and freezing also.

Amazing to watch though!

Had a lovely 10K along a gorgeous canal ths morning, took around 56 minutes.

It was a hard visit in some ways, I was sad to leave, but delighted to get home.

I had landed on Friday to learn that my job in it's current form is to go in the new year. It means I will be doing other projects, not all the sport engagement and camps etc.

Pah.

Will have a look around this week!
  • Options

First solo parkrun since April. Titanic struggle with two old rivals. Took a scalp with 19.54. This with no warmup and realising its a solo run 2min before start! Seriously chuffed!

I am making a public declaration of intent: sub 3-30 at Manchester next year. Entered already for a flat, fast course! God willing and injury free............

We should do a forum parkrun rendezvous

• Options

Thankyou Minni for your vote...I still need to enter and convince them that they need to mentor someone to sub 3:15!

You sound so passionate about Snowdonia McHilly...im going to try and enter it at the end of December, thankyou. I was thinking about entering a 10k at the beginning of feb, Dewsbury 10k..it apparently flat and fast. “Run the highlands” sounds amazing. I cant wait to hear all about it.

Sorry to hear about your thyroid Chick. Hope its just a blip and it settles back down to normal soon.

The 400’s hurt at the time RR but felt great afterwards. This week I did mile reps instead...they hurt more. Managed 4 good ones but by the 5th one I was suffering. I had planned to race a 10k this morning but my husband developed a corneal ulcer so instead I spent the morning at the opticians and then eye hospital so missed my race. Was gutted as it was a nice course through dalby forest. When I got back from the hospital ( 4pm) I decided to do the mile reps...but I was very under fuelled having only ate an apple since 8am and paid a little towards the end as a result. Congrats on your recent times and your 400’s, and good luck with all those races...looks like you have 2015 mapped out quite well already. Sorry to hear about your job, do you know what projects you will be doing instead?

Haha..im not sure i could get a sub 3 malcs..only in my dreams.

Glad to hear the foots much better Stan. Well done on the fantastic parkrun time, i would be delighted with that time post injury

Hi Mr P, loads of people I know are doing Manchester...it does sound like a fantastic event.

Well done at Parkrun Hans

Angela I would love to do the Disney marathon also so if you need a friend to go with you image

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

HI Malcs. Im discovering what two marathons have done for short speed right now in fact. This week's schedule Features some stuff at what I figure is 3k pace. I wouldn't say those surges were easy but it certainly wasn't as eyeballs out as before so lets see.

My coach has set me sub40 10k and sub 1:30 HM as minimum targets ahead of London2015 if I want to be going for a sub 3:15. I haven't raced 10k for a bit but I'm going to try for sub 41 in a few weeks time and build on that if all goes well. Looking at your 5k and 10k times I suspect I'll have to build plenty of wiggle room ahead of going for it!

Congrats on the PB reikirabbit.

Hans C. Having run both Manchester and Abingdon this year I think Manchester is an even better PB friendly choice. Really nice event - good luck

CHickadee - for what its worth different doctors will argue with each other about what is an acceptable level of thyroid- or thyroid stimulating- hormone In the blood. Not only that they have to test over time to see what if any pattern is emerging. One doc might prescribe drugs where another may be more relaxed about it. It is well worth reading up on this. Get well soon.

• Options

Stan / Hans great park running from you both. Seems a whiles since I've last done one, I shall make sure I get back to my local one later this month. 

Mr Puffy - Manchester sounds good, I've entered it as my spring marathon for next year, so I think there will be a few on here targeting it. 

My weekend with Running the Highlands was excellent. A guided run on Balmoral Estate ( choice of distances and pace) and couple of practical sessions (training drills with a great Scottish coach; stretching exercises) and a series of talks on running / nutrition / dealing with injury.  A really full weekend with great company in a wonderful setting, and now lots of information and advice to put into action!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - sorry to hear about the lurgy. Seems to be alot of it going around. Hope you're feeling better soon!

No getting out of Manchester now with everyone else doing it image

Stan - nice parkrun and great to hear the foot was ok, that's very reassuring. 

Yes, 3:10 would be the obvious new target for me. The paces just start to get incredibly scary at this end of things which is why I'm focusing on short speed for now. 

reikirabbit - congratulations on the season's best Parkrun! image

Sounds like you had a great 10K too.

What's all this about your job? Sounds like a big change. I hope it doesn't take you too far away from the stuff you really enjoy.

Hans C - great parkrunning! Love the public declaration - bring it on, you can definitely do it! image

Sarah - I think you underestimate your ability. I'll be amazed if you don't go sub 3 eventually. You have it all there. I'd love to see what Steve could do for you. 

Sorry to hear you missed your race. Corneal ulcer sounds pretty scary stuff - hope Mr A was alright!

Nayan - sounds like you have everything planned out well. Just need to execute now which I have no doubt you will.

Going sub 41 will give you a good confidence boost. I did a similar thing going from  42 down to sub 41 and then sub 40. 

Best of luck!

McHilly - sounds brilliant, the perfect weekend break!

Parkrun wasn't so great for me on Saturday - 20:12, 30 secs slower than two weeks ago. It was very muddy but I'm not sure I can claim 30 seconds based on just that. It'll be interesting to see how Dulwich goes this week.

Got a pain in my foot where the shin muscle attaches. Sure enough on prodding said shin it's as tight as a tight thing. Bit of ball work should sort it I hope. 

• Options
    Hi all tFl is conspiring to keep me away from Dulwich tomorrow, although I can get to West Dulwich statin by circuitous means, would need to leave home around 06:45.

Is anyone else going via West Dulwich &/or knows how to get to the park easily from there?

Malcs i've had pain exactly there before, and shin is hanging on hence tight - have done the chi foocus thing of pretending nothing eists below the knee, and have used heat to good avail / backed off.

Work has taken a couple more twists since, will know more a week today, but looks like major abandonment of all the projects I've set up over the years in a massive cost cutting exercise.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

reikirabbit - oh no, that's terrible news about your work projects! Totally gutted for you image  I hope that you hear something better in a week's time.

Don't worry if you can't make Dulwich, it is a pain to get to from Hackney. 6:45 is a ridiculous time to have to get up for a run.

I'm going to West Dulwich. I will have Malcs Jr. and his mate with me and we'll be there around 8:30 ish. 

It's dead easy to find the Park from there. Just ext onto the S. Circular, turn right out of the station and take the 2nd left (College Rd.) then down to the park entrance on your right and follow the path/road through the park to the right. 

There is an entrance off the S. Circ. but it was closed at that time in the morning last time I was up there.

Thanks for the recovery tips and reassurance. My foot is still a bit sore. Maybe I should have rested yesterday. Then again it might be completely fine by tomorrow, I know how these things can go image

• Options
    Thanks Malcs will know for next time, am not going to make it this morning, will have to go for local glory instead.

Hope the foot has calmed down.

The auntie I went to Ireland to see at the weekend died last night, so I will be off back for her funeral.

This and the work silliness are taking my mind off my latest test results, due midweek.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your Auntie Reiki. Seems you're having a rough time of it at the moment. Hope you did manage to claim some local glory this morning to take your mind off it?

My four seems to be holding up. Managed nearly 4 miles mid-week but my parkrun this morning was a disappointing 20:01.... Next week sub 20. Think I had the same problem last year dipping under 20....

How was the Dulwich parkrun? Good time had by all?

Does anyone know where Jenf, DS2 and Clive have disappeared to? Haven't seen them post for ages!
  • Options
    Stan I didn't go, had a lot to sort out for cover at work etc, but did 60Km on the bike in 2 hours during the tennis!

20:01 is mental
  • Options
    11.87 for me today in 3 stages - to and from Junior ParkRun, then canalside and home - lovely, left knee and ITB into top of shin quite sore though.

All packed now for my trip tomorrow, have just been reminded about warring factions who will be in attendance, so hope it isn't all too predictable.

Looking forward to the canal near my brother's house for respite.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

reikirabbit - no problem, it was always going to be a trek for you. Maybe we can find one that's more central next time?

Echo what Stan said, you're being tested at the moment for sure. I love how you still manage to stay so positive though. 

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. I hope it's some comfort to you that you got to see her so recently. Hope the trip and the funeral go well and that the leg problem is just a little flare up and nothing more. 

PS. 60K in 2 hours on the bike is pretty mental too!

Stan - well done on the 20 min PR. I know you wanted sub 20 though. As you say, next week. 

Did you check your Garmin? I did 19:07 at Dulwich but my Garmin read 0.04 mlies over the distance. Doesn't sound like alot but that's 14 seconds! Grrr. image

Anyway, met up with Angela and Mr Angela which was great. Really nice coffee after too. 

Jen, DS2 and Clive are all very much alive. Jen claims she is too scared to post on this thread image Clive is getting back into his running after the long foot problem he had.

DS2 has a foot problem too which has kept him out for quite a while. He's hoping to be back in December. You know how it is when you're injured though, it's hard to join in with the running talk when everyone else is fit and you're struggling.

Oh and Tigger is still about and doing really well with her running. RRR is still lurking, no doubt saving everything for one her typical mammoth 40 page postsimage

• Options

Hi Nayan it looks like my aims are similar to yours at the moment...im currently training to get a sub 40 10k...it's killing me. After doing lots of slow miles for my ultra all these quick miles are certainly testing... But fun. 

wow, your training weekend sounded fantastic Mc Hilly , who did you book it through? I would be quite interested in doing something like that.

Thankyou Malcs for the sympathy, Mr A's eye is now ok and he's back at work. He's also stopped panicking about himself going blind (he's a bit of a hypercondriac). Would be lovely to go sub 3 hours for a marathon...but baby steps first...sub 3:15. Ive managed to get a championship place for VLM so if I don't make paris I have a nice backup plan.

So sorry to hear about your Aunti and your work reikirabbit. It's a dreadful thing to happen after all your hard work. Hope you have a safe journal And it goes ok. 

Stan you have my sympathy... My aim of a sub 20 yesterday got me 20.0 exactly (my watch said 19:57 so it's a little frustrating as I started it on the 2 part of 3..2..1 and i managed to run 3.12 miles) but never mind...means my aim to run rothervally parkrun next time will be a sub 20.0....again Rather than sub 19:30 (which sounds impossible) 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You're not wrong Sarah A. I havent had a proper go at 10k for a while and started reading about how to pace it properly. 

sounds like you are breathing too hard to talk by ten minutes, then you have 20 minutes of wondering if you went off too fast before 10 minutes of hell. Lovely! 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

All those in favour of giving Sarah a sub 20 raise their hands now...image

Nayan - only 10 minutes of hell? Surely it's all hell image

I found my last 10K as painful as a 5K but twice as long. Really isn't a comfortable experience.

I haven't run since Saturday. Won't run today either. I want to give the foot tendon a bit of time to recover and not make it any worse. I'm sure it'll be fine but it needs a few days off. 

• Options

Go Stan and Sarah! Sub 20 glory.

Reiki, sorry to hear about the various challenges, hope there is light on the horizon.

• Options

Ello ello, sorry for the vanishment... Do you like my new word?

So sorry about ur aunt RR, I hope you can find peace in the coming weeks and months x

Was fun parkrunning with Malcs on Sat, although I'm blaming the cold I have on his brining young people with him, those carriers of disease!!  Didn't have quite the run I wanted - it was a pb 20:53, but only 8s quicker than my pb at Colchester Castle parkrun which I set in July.  Colchester is known to be quite a challenging course because you have to go up this godawful hill twice during the second half, but I am now starting to think the predominantly flat/downhill first half is a big advantage.  Dulwich started on an up.  That said, I did have quite a heavy training week last week swim, bike, run, weights, and I clearly was beginning to come down with something.  A shame as I was expecting, and training would indicate that I'm in shape for 20:30ish at Colchester and probably a bit quicker on a totally flat course.  Either that, or at the ripe old age of 28 I've hit my peak!

I believe that Sarah can claim her sub 20 image 

Malcs/Nayan I also hate 10ks- they used to be my favourite, but since I've done more long training, and the expected 10k pace has come up, they just plain hurt!  Least a 5k is over in 20ish minutes... 10k is prolonged pain!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Greetings all. Looks like the Bootcamp phone calls may have started. Exciting stuff! Would be brilliant if all of you who entered from here could make it to Bootcamp.

Angela - sorry to hear about the cold. I will be sure to de-louse the youngsters before bringing them along next time image

Hans C - there was a guy at Dulwich last week who was avec buggy. Very quick - couldn't catch him. There's a little downhill bit at Dulwich so I had my beady eye on him to see if he was freewheeling but no, he played it completely by the book. 

reikirabbit - any news from work this week? If there is news then I hope it's good news!

Not much running for me this week. Decided to give the foot a break before it gets any worse. I did a gentle 6 miles on Wednesday and had no pain but the tendon was getting tired towards the end. 

Still doesn't feel quite right but I'm tempted by a little jog today to test it out. If all is ok then I may pace Malcs Jr. round parkrun on Saturday. 

• Options

Wow, the mighty Malcs scalp by a buggy hugger! Oh if I could dare to dream! Back to buggy this weekend after a 2 week solo.

Did parkrun tourism last weekend at Wakefield. Didn't pick up that most of the course is grass or trails. The grisly goats wearing trail shoes should have been a clue. I was dueling another runner with my best 'Bambi on ice' impressions. Despite his belly laugh handicap at my discomfort he took me down. Was pleased with a 20.40 in those conditions.

Roll on #54 tomorrow!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Yep, I was truly done for fun image

The mud makes a huge difference doesn't it? Orpington has become very sloppy recently. I'm using this as an excuse for my drop in speedimage

Good luck tomorrow Hans!

Anyone from here make bootcamp? SupermanRuns is in, which is great news! image

• Options
    Haven't heard anything about Bootcamp so guess it's a no. Can't you pull a few strings for me Malcs? ????

Which parkrun are you doing tmrw Hans? Don't think I'll ever do Huddersfield as the kids I teach seem to make up a few of the top 10. Never be able to live it down! I'll just have to get fitter and turn up when I've upped my game! Sub 20 tomorrow hopefully but it is pizza tonight....
  • Options

I got in Bootcamp! ever so excited!! 

• Options

Excellent news Tigger, well done!

• Options

Go Stan and Sarah! Sub 20 glory.

Reiki, sorry to hear about the various challenges, hope there is light on the horizon.

• Options

Well done Tigger, first steps on an amazing journey maybe?

Back to Greenpark tomorrow to get whupped by Stan's students. Hmm, pizza!

The mud was a serious energy sapper, glad there wasn't a buggy involved.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tigger that is brilliant news - so pleased for you!

Stan - sorry to hear you didnt get a call. If only I had that kind of influence, I'd have you all in!

Good luck tomorrow Hans!