My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Comments

• Options

Brilliant Result Roger image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

What a great race, well done image

• Options

Awesome! Can't wait for the full report!

• Options

That's a great result Roger, well done - you must be well pleased!

• Options
    Awesome performance Roger, be proud.
  • Options

Cracking, Congrats Roger.

• Options

Absolutely superb. Well done Roger!! imageimage

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Smashed that Roger! cracking effort

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Chuffed to bits for you Roger!! I finished in 2:58:01 so over the moon!!
  • Options

Outstanding performances, Roger and Roundman!! Delighted for you both! Hope that Kronenbourg is tasting sweet, Roger...!

• Options

Roger, you smashed a sub 3! Absolutely  fantastic, you deserve this.

Roundman - well done!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Roger and Roundman! First Sub 3 is to be savoured!

Roger - two words: bloody brilliant!
  • Options

Nice one Roger, well done and a great achievement!

• Options
    Well done roundman, excellent result.

My official time: 2.52.23. I am over the moon!

Fantastic race. Loved the whole thing.

Thanks guys. Great race, did 6.40 pace up to about 20 miles the started pushing, checked my watch to find I was on 5.45 pace, whoops , slowed, A bit variable pace must check my watch which wasn't reading the miles very accurately, went through half at 127.35. Lap 20 was 6.35, 21- 6.19, 22-6.38 +7s. 23-6.26, 24-5.58, 25-6.01+7s, 26-6.16, then .23 miles at in 1.16?? I will have to look at it on garmin connect. But smashed it and felt strong all the way. Really happy with that.

Managed to download the garmin but it a bit confusing as my miles did not link up with the mile markers. So I kept hitting the lap button at the. Mile marker

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/474768783

Thanks again for all the well wishes and support.
  • Options
    Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Wow, respect to you Roger! What an amazing time only many can dream of! Congrats! image

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You're living my dream,  Rodger.

Well done.  

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Top man Roger. Fully deserved result well done.

I got a five minute pb at Brighton 3.04:12. Cramped up while showboating in the last 400m and had to trot in.No fool like an old fool!
  • Options

Well done on a fantastic performance!

I was watching the Eurosport coverage of the race showing Bekele running the last few miles flanked by bunch of random blokes on bikes, kind of surreal.

Your garmin splits show you were flying and hopefully enjoying that last 10km. Testament to the hard graft you've been putting in over the past months. Well done again.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Awesome performance and you've got every right to be over the moon 

• Options

some other great runs too - well done Andy V - sub 3 next year.

Roger's 5km splits

20:44

20:48

20:46

20:43

20:42

20:32

20:21

19:18

halfs of 87:34 and 84:49 - pretty much perfect pacing and obviously more to come.

• Options
    Thanks for the really great comments and well done again to those of you that race Paris and Brighton.

I am still buzzing from Paris. What a great experience the thing was, I have met so many wonderfull people, learned so much and thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

A big thank you to Steve who is truely a genius and a mine of knowledge and experience and who is always willing to help.

Ruth, you are amazing and your nutrition advice without a fought made a massive diffence to my race but also practical help with day to day stuff has been great. Amazing to have so much energy all the way through and be able to do a sub 40 min 10k after racing 20 miles, I still can't believe it.

Runners world team you have been like family, so supportive and helpful and facilitated a really great experience.

Asics team thank you for the fantastic kit and help and advice and experience

Fellow team mates, it's been a pleasure to experience this wonderful journey with you, you are all stars. Well done to all of you for achieving PB's

Thank you thank you
  • Options
    Sarah and Victor also deserve a special mention, thanks for the physio and sound advice you guys are great and also part of the reason for my great success.

James thanks for looking after my asics kit needs, it performed fantastically.

Andrew thanks for all the help

Dr Vice thanks for the Chiropractic which was invaluable.

I am so blessed to have such an awesome team
  • Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Having been with Roger over the past few days - he is an inspiration. The man is a machine. Where he get's his energy from is beyond me.

He has a heart of gold and that shows in how he looks after people and brings his experience to the conversation.

Thank you Roger for your words of wisdom.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Well done Roger ,Great running and much quicker in the second half so definitely potential there to be even faster. image

• Options

Roger - thanks for being so nice about us all! I am just so thrilled for  you. when is your next marathon????image

• Options

It's like an Oscar acceptance speech in here! 

Now you get to just sit back and watch the rest of us give it a go in London. I'm a little bit jealous. Only a little bit though image

• Options
    Haha, oscars. Thanks Gareth, you are gent and really tenacious, you never gave up and you had a much tougher day than me.

Ruth I meant it. Advice was golden.

I hope all of you guys doing London are getting excited, big day soon. It's your turn to shine.

For me it is now time to catch up all the things I've let slip being so foccussed on my running, since I got back my car has given up the ghost, my conservatory door fell off! And I am waiting for the aa to pick me up with my motorbike as I put diesel in it, bit tired/ stupid ( not the first time). But hey that is all ok cos I got a 2.52.23image
  • Options

Hello everyone,

Not sure who's still checking in on here, but keen to know how all the VLM runners got on yesterday.

I managed 03:08:35, which, given that this time 4 weeks ago I didn't think I'd be able to take my place in the race, is pretty pleasing. I managed remarkably even 5km splits throughout, and even had a bit left in the tank for a burst at the finish. Definitely a case of 'what might have been', but I'm young enough to have plenty more attempts at sub-3 in the future - starting with New York in November!

Hope everyone else is happy with their outcomes as well; well done to you all!

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Well done Cookbox!  I had a similar experience last year at London and finished in 3hrs 11 mins but spent the following 12 months improving my speed and following 'the plan' and all came good in Paris.

Think my next marathon will be London 2015 - in the short-term I am going to remind my kids they have a dad after all this training!!!image