Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

5 mile lunchtime bimble today, no watch but I'm guessing 10m/M.  I tried to see a tapir (for the taper), but I think they are hidden behind the camels.

• Options
    Nice bimbling. I'm going for an EIGHT miler tonight. Really ramping up the miles now in preparation... Wish me luck.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Did you survive, Cougie? Hope so! Which start are you on at London? I am green but guess you might be red.

I had another good parkrun this morning.  Fumbled my watch at the end, but friend who finished just behind reckoned it was about 19:10 (PB by at least 30 seconds).  Happy with that - I feel it earns me permission to go for A target of 3:10 if feeling good on marathon day.

Ouf but I stink! Time for a shower.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
  • Options

Nice going marrows. Smashed it comes to mind image 

i really must do one of those image

• Options

There's only one reason I'm up this early on a Sunday,morning image

My first 20 miler!!

wish me luck image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Go on then Jason - how did it go? I did wish you luck, by the way.

Well done for toughing it out at Brighton, Lou! How's the hip?

Yesterday morning I found myself washing up enormous pans and scrambling 30 eggs for one of the rowing crews that raced yesterday.  I had some of the scrambled eggs and they were excellent: definitely not to blame for the result of the race.

/members/images/473351/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2014-04-07_at_17.53.19.png

yum!

Then I went for a 9 mile jog with a friend and a few hills and my legs were none too zippy.

Other half has a stinking cold and has now left the country, thank goodness.

• Options

Sorry didn't update sooner. 20.5 in the end. Total time on feet 2:43 so 8 m/m average spot on.

felt good throughout, didn't fade at all so very good for the confidence. 3 gels consumed (5/10/15) 

update lou? Didn't catch the time (or looked on other threads to be honest)

talk about a good breakfast marrows!! 

• Options

Hi, Managed 3:30.48 and really struggled with the last 6-7 miles. I'll hopefully find time to write up a full report later today.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Jason - sounding strong. Will you be spectating on Sunday?

Lou - sorry it hurt but that is a very respectable run!  I was going to say I look forward to the report, but on second thoughts, just don't give me nightmares. OK?

I ran 7 miles tonight with middle 2 at marathon pace.  At least, that was the intention.  During the middle km of the quick bit I imagined that I was at mile 25, running down Victoria Embankment, maybe with a little group of other runners, all bad-ass, like 'yeah, we know what we're doing', so that part came out a bit quick (7:00m/m). Then I came to my senses and looked at the trees and heard the tweety birds and pulled it back to 7:15m/m.  jogging home afterwards, I had to breathe through my nose because of clouds of midges.  Why on earth does anyone think that is a good way to breathe when running? something about not getting a chill on your lungs?

calves twanged a bit when i stepped out the door but basically that run felt good.  I have been low carbing since Sunday afternoon so I thought it might feel bad.

• Options

I posted a report on Skinny's Overdone It? thread if you're interested.  Not really the stuff of nightmares - you'll be fine.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/overdone-it/202026-286.html#last

• Options

Marrows I am indeed spectating on Sunday. First time watching it too so looking forward to it.

nice one lou it's still a decent time.

im currently resting up at home as we speak feeling sorry for myself. Mostly because I don't know what I've done. Right foot is in excruciating pain when walking further that 100 metres. The heel feels really tender.

went for a VERY gentle 2 miler last night and upset it somehow making me stop and wince a bit.

looking like rest is the only option for me this week. going for a swim soon tonight to cheer me up a bit image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lou - I read your report.  Poor you! I can let you know in the morning whether it has given me nightmares.  When's the next attempt?

Jason - sorry to hear about the foot. That sounds like it may take a while to sort.  Would it be OK to ride a bike? that's an attractive option now the sun is out. Happy swimming.  Where are you watching from?

I picked up my number at the expo today.  No body composition analysis this year so I was unable to get an update on last year's 'NORMAL WEIGHT STRONG TYPE' but I did enjoy making silly faces in the photo booths and running round the mini track above the New Balance stall.  I met V70 Keith Scrivener of 100 marathon club, who told me he'd had a stroke, had re-learned how to walk, and is running the marathon this weekend.  I also saw a lad I recognised from a recent run: 'did I pass you on Chelsea Embankment last week? You looked a mess!' which his girlfriend found very funny.  I was pleased to see him on his feet today since I've had a bad conscience about not stopping to check he was OK at the time.

• Options

I also read your very detailed report lou.

foots feels a little better today. hopefully should be ok for next weeks last 20 image.

im watching from various places marrow as I'm with lots of people that know where they are going image

• Options
    I smashed the 8 mile barrier with a whopping 8.6 miles Marrows. I did have a backpack on too - so I reckon thats worth an extra 11 or so....

Erm - I think I'm on green start ? I'd best check. Going down to register on Saturday anyway and get my last training walk in by checking out every stall at the expo ten times over to make sure I havent missed any bargains.

I get the feeling that your pal Keith might be kicking my ass this year.

Oh parcel in the post yesterday - my Team GB trisuit with my name on. Whoot Whoot !

Tempted to start carboloading at lunch. I'm starving.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Yep cougie, we can round that up to 20 miles. Congratulations on the GB suit!

I am in green pen 3. If it's warm I'm likely to wear this (rather than the airtight club vest):

/members/images/473351/gallery/DSC01355.jpg

Difficult call though: social discomfort of bear tummy vs. physical discomfort of overheating?  I'll have a bright orange bobbleless bobble hat on before the race, until it has to go into the bag drop.

I'm really really good at carb loading by the way.

I had a little jog down to the track last night where I did 3x200m at 6:00 pace.  Well why not?

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Good luck Marrows image

• Options

That's a nice vest Marrows

Is this what you mean by "bear tummy'?

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/37/174030716_e4285d1441_o.jpg

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lou, what did you have to type to find that picture? Or did you take it yourself?

Before my first marathon a dyslexic friend, experienced runner, wrote me some advice: 'just think about the bear at the end'.

Thanks StewartC - and well run last weekend!

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Just finished off carb loading with scotch pancakes and am about to drink a gallon of tea.

I might not come on here again before tomorrow so just wanted to say good luck to cougie and thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

My plan is to set off between 7:10 and 7:25 m/M and see what happens.  Could go horribly wrong but hey ho.

• Options
    I made sure safe search was on before I googled.

Good luck tomorrow guys.

Marrows - Your training has gone fantastically well. Have faith in it.
  • Options
    Marrows you've been the easiest protege ! You've done all the hard work and been perfect.

Weather tomorrow looks good for it - i think your pace sounds about right to me - my PB is 3.09 and I hope you'll smash it.

Have a great run !
  • Options

Good luck marrows and cougie for 2moro image 

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

ooh, good luck to the pair of you! have enjoyed sneaking in to read about your training, you have indeed been very well behaved. Can't wait to hear what happens today image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Had a good run 3:09 negative splits and felt mean all the way in to the finish! Sadly didn't get to meet cougie! Longer report tomorrow.
  • Options
    That's fantastic stuff ! So you're in for next year ! Brilliant time. You deserved that. I'm so chuffed !

I was on red start FGFA pen - which was new to me.

In pen 1 and due to other priorities - I was trying to take it steady and avoid leg fall off by pacing for about 4 hrs.

What actually happened was I spent 20 miles taking it relatively easy - and still felt good at 20. So I thought - what's the harm- its just a 10k left.

Upped the pace and actually began passing people and then got a real wiggle on at 23. Hurtled onto the mall desperately trying to get under the Er magical 3.30 barrier that my stupid mind came up with today. Did it with 18 secs spare.

So clearly marrows shows that actual proper training pays off.

I'm just amazed I could do a decent time off 1 long run of 13.1.

Wait for spring for the patented cougie lazy arse plan.

Can't wait to hear your report marrows - you must have hurtled past me at one point !
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun way to run a marathon cougie!  You must have some impressive long-term fitness to pull that off.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

An awesome run Marrows congratulations looking forward to the report image

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

crikey, well done the pair of you, excellent work!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cougie - wow, I've clearly been doing it all wrong image

Amazing stuff to get under 3:30 on minimal long stuff. Well done, no wonder you're delighted!

Marrows - huge congratulations, that's an incredible time in very warm conditions. I was up there supporting but sadly I didn't see you. That said, with only a pair of legs to go on it was always going to be tough to pick you out from the crowd.

I haven't posted much here as I've restricted my inane ramblings to my own little corner but I have been following your brilliant progress. It's been a joy reading your thread, always full of good humour and positivity.

Very well done!