Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    20 trundled at 8:45s, made pleasant by good company.

Lou is US for that quackery? Nothing on Cochrane.

Jason a half eh! Got a target?
  • Options

Next week's plan:

M : rest
    T: recovery 6am + 4pm
    W: ML 15
    R: recovery 6
    F: ML 13
    Sat: GA+speed 7 w/6x100m strides
    Sun: MP 16 w/12@MP

Please excuse the acronyms.  The only 'session' is the Sunday run - the rest all at least 10% slower than marathon pace.

274 miles logged for January, 69 this week.  I feel fine - no niggles, no sniffles - but legs are a bit tired.  Mo says that's how it ought to be though! (OK piece but that driving simile is a bit of a car crash).

• Options

I think US is fairly established treatment for that sort of thing. Whether there is scientific evidence for its effectiveness is another matter.

I read that piece about mo earlier. I wonder what the draw of marathon is for him. More cash?

176 miles for Jan. 11 for the week.

• Options
    Excellent work - and interesting about people who should have run faster on the marathon based on their 20 milers !

Enjoy your day of rest - you've earned it. And you know the marathon course from cycling it - this is all very useful.

I've finished my 9 consecutive days of turbo sessions today so I must get back to the running.
  • Options

Actually I've run it! just not very fast.

9 consecutive days of turbo, ouf.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Marrows - wow, you are going amazingly well. I just can't get my head round your mileage! Aside from the amount of work involved, it must take a huge chunk of time out of your week. How do you find the time?

Very impressive!

Cycling the VLM route on race day morning sounds great. How long before the start do they close the roads off then?

Sorry to hear about the hip Lou. Sounds like you're being sensible and getting it sorted early. Hope it clears up quickly.

• Options

Malcs - I'm sorry, I can't remember how early it was when I cycled round. Maybe 7:30am? I didn't ride the whole route - just some bits of the highway - and I probably wasn't meant to do it at all. prob helped that i was on my own, riding slowly, and very polite!  As for the mileage, thanks for the kind words. I do plan to be more busy and important one day but right now I have few responsibilities, which helps with fitting it in.  I have not achieved your reproductive success nor do I have your abs to maintain.  Mid-week runs are mostly to or from work which would be a 40min-1hr commute anyway.  We have no TV and I'm not sure I would want to sit around watching it anyway given this morning (with heating on) home was 13.5C.

• Options
    Now we see why your mileage is so impressive - its either run or freeze to death.

I thought it was always balmy in London ? Have you thought of getting a front door or maybe a roof ?
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cougie - ha ha image 

marrows - lol image you really do crack me up! 

I'm with Cougie on your heating issue. Either you have your thermostat way too low or there's a serious insulation problem. 

Don't know how you survive without a TV though. We don't watch much but I couldn't survive without sport on telly at the weekends. 

Do you live in the East End then? We used to live in Wapping so naturally I know the Highway. That's where we used to watch the marathon years ago, before I even thought about running. In those days it was easy to walk up, stand right at the edge and have a great view. Now the Highway is swamped with supporters. Quite amazing how it's changed.

• Options

Nope Malcs I'm down SW.

Lou - you cynic.. extend his set of UK records? be part of his home town's annual running carnival? Maybe he just WANTS TO RUN A MARATHON like YOU. Or maybe Salazar has something to do with it. The poor laddie didn't sound like he was enjoying the training ('getting back from your run, waking up the next day, going for a run, not feeling great').

How fast do you have to run to see the leaders coming the other way after you cross Tower Bridge?

I was going to be home alone (and cold) so did the 15 miler last night as an extended commute.  Went exploring tunnels, alleys, and urban canyons so GPS data is a mess but think it was 8:30ish/mile. I jogged 6 in the morning so that was 21 for the day.  I arrived home some time after 21:30, ravenous and confused about what to do first - put on 3 jumpers? have a shower? eat all the things? ice my ankles? go to the loo? eat the other things? stretch? respond to colleague's request for emergency computer support? long johns? more nesquik?

• Options

I sure hope you got them in the right order marrows. 

12.6 just done and dusted (see Lou I can run longer image) completed in 1:27 so very happy with that. 

Sundays target marrows is sub 1:30 I'm pretty confident I will break it but just by how much?? 

• Options
    If you're on for about 3.15 or so you get to see the leaders coming the other way.

If you're too fast or slow - you'll miss them. But try not to get distracted - its easy to step on a water bottle if you're watching the leaders !

Jason - I'm sure you'll smash 1.30 !
  • Options
    Ja5onW wrote (see)

I sure hope you got them in the right order marrows. 

12.6 just done and dusted (see Lou I can run longer image) completed in 1:27 so very happy with that. 

That's more or less 90min HM pace!!!  Are you sure you've not got your watch set to km by mistake.

With training runs like that you should be well under 1.30.

• Options

Don't know where I got the 1:27 from......

actually looked back and it was 1:34. Glad I log runs when I get back straight away. 

Still confident I'm going to break the 1:30 on Sunday. It's a flat fast course so got a good chance. This time last year it was cancelled due to snow. 

• Options

Ja5e - You should have no problem. What's your current pb?

Marrows - You have more willpower than I to rack up miles like that just cos you fancy it. I woukd be home shivering under a blanket. Or did you get lost.

I've done a couple of days easy running and rollering and the hip feels much better. Ill keep it all easy until the weekend and hopefully be fit for 20 on Sun.

• Options

Great news about your hip, Lou.  There was no choice about the 15 - it's on the schedule.

Jason I was worried you'd gone and run your PB in training! I reckon your chances are better than if you had run 96% of the distance at target race pace 4 days before.

got a place for ridelondon 100 again.  Mixed feelings - it was fun last year but I felt lucky to have survived it unscathed after seeing a few crashes and nearly coming off myself.

I thought of skipping the 4 mile jog yesterday but since we reinstated Steak Wednesday, needed to work up an appetite.  10:30 pace image.  13 miles to do tonight.

• Options

Current P.B stands at 1:30 image

Lou my roller is certainly one of my best friends/enemies depending which muscle group im laying into. Got my calf muscles back on track a few times now.

marrows i love steak nights, one of my best image Spag bol night comes before it though, i love the stuff.

Easy/recovery run for me tonight in this pleasant Essex weather!

• Options

Confessions. I was running late, to siren call of chilli con carne, and only did 9.5 miles instead of 13 last night.  Was cruising comfortably round 7:45/mile but Garmin started to play dead again when I tried to upload.  7.5 mile jog this morning and GPS still dead.

• Options

Jason - how was the half? Not wokingham I hope.

I did a little easy 5-miler yesterday and then this morning, 17 with 12 at marathon pace.  I did make it round inside target pace (averaged 7:06/mile for the fast 12, with about 200m of up and down and some wind) but it wasn't easy! I wouldn't have the guts to be hanging on at that effort level for the middle 12 of a marathon.  Started out trying to run nicely but degenerated into a ball of grr and must apologise to the guy (in running kit, toeing a little puddle he didn't want to go through) at whom I shouted 'YER PUSSY' towards the end.

That was an OK week of training: I started it feeling wiped out so took most of the runs slow, and curtailed the second midweek long run.  Was feeling stronger by the weekend and the one proper session (today) went well.

Next week is meant to be cut-back week:

M: rest
    T: 9 w/ 6x800m @ 5K pace, jog 50%-90% interval time in between
    W: ML 11
    T: recovery 6
    F: ML 11
    Sat: GA + speed 8 w/ 10x100m strides
    Sun: ML 15

I'll swap some of the runs around and also enter a 10K on the Sunday, maybe not race it flat out, and use that to replace the following week's LT session.

• Options

'ball of grr' indeed image I can just imagine image

Excellent work there!

• Options

Half marathon done!!

wasn't as fast as I expected....very windy. 

Finished in 1:30 so not too upset with the result. Minus a minute for perfect weather. Couldn't believe how tough it was running into a headwind. Thought I was walking at one point!!

GT Bentley marrows. Lovely flat course just very windy This year. 

• Options

Not bad at all Jason!

I wrote down the wrong schedule again this week.  Here's what it should be:

M: rest
    T: GA 9
    W: 9 w/6x800m
    T: recovery 6
    F: ML 11
    Sat: GA  8 w/ 10x100m strides
    Sun: ML 15 (but I'll do a 10K instead)

• Options

10x400 on the track last night. 2mins recovery........well received after Sundays efforts.

all came out below 80s apart from the 1st so impressed the legs still worked. Think the very last one came out at 76s

very sore this morning but nice slow recovery run planned later tonight. image

• Options
    1:20s would be quick for a 3hr chap no? U r shiftin
  • Options

10 miles total tonight. Hill work with the club.

3 mile warm up with various hills around the town. One monster .5 mile effort in the middle was not pleasant but worth it in the end.

looking back at Mondays session, that was pretty sharp and surprising I produced such sharp times Off a brutal half the day before. 

Mondays are always a tricky time of the week. Going by the general rule of thumb 2 hard sessions back to back are never ideal but I'm sort of stuck with it.

• Options

Jason .. sandbagging Sunday?

My week so far: Monday rest, Tuesday about 10 miles at 7:30-7:50 pace, and Wednesday morning a gentle 7.5M jog.  I'm just heading out for 6x800m on the way home - will be against the wind but it's not too blowy today.

The wind brought me a crop of strava 'uh-oh' emails on eastbound segments, which suggests a plan for an upcoming LT session image

I have exhausted the world supply of kinvara 2s in my size. Kinvara 3 chafes and 4 is expensive.  Other suggestions for light soft cheap shoes..?

• Options

6x800m last night:

3:01 (1:06), 3:02 (1:46), 3:06 (1:32), 3:05 (1:42), 3:08 (2:03 - this road takes ages to cross), 3:01

That was hard and I felt a bit squiffy afterwards.  Last summer I was running 6x800m in 2:5x on the track but I'll award myself a few seconds for running 804.67m instead of 800m and into a headwind, and say not gone backwards too much!

Anyone seen this calculator? http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html The site is down at the moment but it does pace adjustment for wind and hills. No idea of the accuracy.

Happy Valentine's day, everyone

• Options

Happy Valentine's chaps.

Marrows - That's a good pace for 800s , especially if there's a bit of wind.  I did my first set of 4x800 at that sort of pace just before Christmas, but I've been aiming for 3:10 on sets since then.

Ja5e - 400s on the day after a HM sounds tough and slightly risky.  Can you change your long run day to 
    Saturday?

No running for me this week as the hip flared up after 19 miler on Sunday.  Bloody annoying as if felt fine during the run and on during my rest day monday so I really thought it had gone.  But then Tuesday morning it was really quite painful and I've been limping since.

Had a massage and a bit more ultrasound Weds and it's feeling better now, but still not quite right.  It's clearly not something that I can run though, so I guess I'll just have to have a couple of weeks off and keep my fingers crossed.

• Options

Tidy 800's the marrows image I must say though running in the summer is always nicer, so times seem to be better when its warmer.

lou im stuck with it for the time being as Saturdays (like today) working until 6ish, then home to do either - nothing - or easy 5/6. tonight's option is definitely the former as ive got the final XC of the season 2moro image

Bad luck on the hip too as it definitely sounds more than a 'niggle'

with the XC on sunday its 25 miles for the week. Back up next week for pretty much solid 4/5 weeks then a cheeky 10k race for the final in our club champs (gunning for that P.B obviously image)

• Options

Last XC of the season today image

Good luck in your 10k marrows. image