Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think you should give yourself a generous pace range to stay within, incorporating both your targets, trust that you've done enough MP training to know what the appropriate level of effort feels like, and adjust as you go.

(Disclaimer: I have only done one marathon, but with similar targets to yours and it went okay!)

• Options

Nice training there - impressed!

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Malcs, Jason, Lit, Rachel - thanks!

I have two conflicting ideas of what marathon pace should feel like.  There's the one from actually running marathons: my vague memory is of an easy jog that eventually sometimes gets a bit tiring because it's quite a long way.  Then there's the one from doing big sections of training runs at marathon pace: hard effort right from the start, but don't feel any worse in the last mile than the first.  I never did big chunks of long training runs at target marathon pace in previous campaigns.  Curse my former self who did not keep training logs!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

This is how my last marathon went pace wise:

First 14 miles - keep a check on the garmin and slow down.  This is especially essential in first 5-6 miles.

Miles 14 - 16 - getting used to the pace now.

Miles 16 - 22 - keep checking the garmin and make sure the pace is holding.  Needing to concentrate now.

Mile 22 - finish -  chant 'maximum effort, minimum pain' over and over.  You're all most there and need to keep it going.  Don't lose focus and only think of the next mile. 

Mile 24 of London last year was my fastest at 7:09. image

But, I'm a bit like Marrows in that I don't like it to hurt too much so very careful with my pacing!

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

thanks Minni that's helpful!

Did my 5M recovery jog yesterday but in a dramatic rebellion, I am skipping today's one.  I will cycle a few miles extra though, cos I'm going out for a curry.  Hope this has no ill consequences for parkrun tomorrow.

have taken delivery of 24 SIS go gels for £13.93 from Wiggle. bargain. I tink they are going cheap because the tropical flavour is disgusting but I don't care - gels are not meant to be NICE.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I wouldn't even consider tropical. Might be secret banana in there. But it'd take me about 3 years to get through 24 gels.

• Options

Apple SIS is my fav image. Especially nice when they have been in the fridge all night. 

24 would last me about 2 months image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I've had an apple, a lemon and an orange one so far this year. In the marathon I might really push the boat out and have four.

• Options
    VAVA ✭✭✭

Hi there,

that's more or less my marathon pace, sub-3.30, and I put 3.32 as expected time for London. I'll try to go 8 min per mile.

My question: is it true that because of congestion at the beginning you might be significantly slowed down at the London marathon? Obviously, it is different with different paces. Has anybody experience of whether congestion is a problem for someone running at 8 min per mile?

Thanks!

Vin

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

VA - I went off the green start last year and don't remember the congestion being too bad, but I wasn't in a hurry.  I was running about 8:30min/mile and started behind the 3:45 pacers.  I would guess it could cost you up to 30 seconds over the first mile, probably less, and after the first mile it's fine. The usual advice is that if it is congested, don't waste energy trying to dodge around people, and if congestion causes you to lose time over the first mile, don't try to make it all up over the next mile but recover it gradually over a longer period.  Sorry I can't be more help!

Lit, Jason -  I'm not sure why I bought so many gels.  I'm offended by the unit price when you buy them singly but it will take me a couple of years to get through this lot.

Parkrun PB this morning, 19:41.  The course measured short on my garmin (trees, corners) so that was a nice surprise.  Good sprint finish with a couple of guys, which I lost.  Jogging there and back made 8-9 miles for the day.

Sun's out! Go outside and play, everyone

• Options

Nice one marrows on the PRPB image. ive never run one before. i must book time off work to go and do my local one (chelmsford) they seem to have very fast times when i have looked at the results (low 15/16's some weeks image)

My only claim to a 5k P.B is in a 10k race (19:15) but im sure that doesnt countimage.

VA sorry cant offer any advice for london as never ran it and probably never will as this is my last year of marathon 'faffing' for a while image

• Options

Nice one marrows on the PRPB image. ive never run one before. i must book time off work to go and do my local one (chelmsford) they seem to have very fast times when i have looked at the results (low 15/16's some weeks image)

My only claim to a 5k P.B is in a 10k race (19:15) but im sure that doesnt countimage.

VA sorry cant offer any advice for london as never ran it and probably never will as this is my last year of marathon 'faffing' for a while image

• Options

Congratulations Marrows on the prpb today. I managed a similar pb last weekend, which was nice.

Ja5e - havd you fallen out of love with 26 miles? Why is that? I'm already planningnext years escapade.

I have a box of 20 hi5 gels in berry flavour. I was surprised by how inoffensive they taste. Don't know why people make a fuss about them.

VA - first attempt for me so I cant offer any help.

• Options

Hi Lou. To be honest I'm too young to be dedicating my time for 26.2. 

Ive still got (hopefully) enough years ahead to concentrate on speed work. The aim is to get sub 60 for my favourite distance 10 miles image

Loving the training and all that but im going to bench the marathon for a few years image

• Options
    VAVA ✭✭✭

Hi there,

thanks everyone for your advice. I've read all sorts online, that it can be hugely congested, that it's not a problem at all or that it is not so bad depending, I guess, on the pen, although people have also ended up in the wrong one.

I'll try to go to the front of mine and be ready to run negative splits. I suppose that's all you can do.

Vin

• Options

18 this morning in lovely weather. Finished so much stronger than previous weeks which is a fantastic confidence booster. 2:28 gives an average of just over 8.

3 apple SIS gels sorted me to the finish. Nature wise was nice too 1 wild grouse, lots of duck (wild ones) and chuck in some horses too image. Went past a farmer spraying his field and to be fair he did stop spraying but it absolutely stunk and made our eyes water a bit.

finished the last Few miles under 8.

My plan now looks like this for the next 3 Sundays 18 (today) 20,18, 20 image

The next 18 is VLM day so should be doing it on the Saturday night before which I'm not looking forward to.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

What's your 10 mile time at the moment Jason?

Lou - are you running in Paris this weekend? Good luck!

I meant to do my last long run (17 miles) yesterday afternoon. Got engrossed in some work and at 6:30pm realised it was too late (still had to cook and eat a roast and spend 2-3 hours getting home, plus it was actually 7:30pm and I'd forgotten to reset that clock).  So I whopped chicken in oven with many delicious things up its wotsit and trundled 7 miles while it cooked, mostly easy 8:20m/m with a little spurt at the end getting chased up a hill by a cyclist - didn't look round, didn't get caught. Next window for the long run is Tuesday night.

So here's the P&D plan for this week:
    M: rest
    T: GA 7 w/8x100m strides
    W: recovery 4
    T: 8 w/ 3x1600m @ 5K pace
    F: recovery 5
    Sat: recovery 6 w/ 8x100m strides
    Sun: ML 13

and here's my actual plan, unless someone persuades me it's terrible:
    M: rest
    T: 17
    W: recovery 4
    T: 7 with maybe 5x600m or something
    F: recovery 5
    Sat: parkrun
    Sun: 11

• Options

working on a sunday marrows? 

Nothing to be proud of at the moment, it stands at 1:06 but looking to improve on that this year.

looks like a good weeks running to me image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Jason - the 60 minute 10 mile target - when do you hope to hit that? How will you go about it?

Well this evening was a bit of struggle! Plopped along nicely for a few miles but after a while the legs didn't want to know any more, pace drifted off to terminal waddle/death march, and SHOCK HORROR I only ran 16 miles (not 17).  It ended at Sainsbury's, where I got chocolate milk.  Mmm.  Ready to zonk now.

• Options

Marrows - Brighton this weekend.  Not long now. image

• Options
    Excellent parkrunning there Marrows. And running 16 miles rather than 17 wont be any harm. You'll be finished hours ahead of me in London !
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

indeed I will cougie - B Rapoport's endurance calculator has me down to smash the world record by 6 minutes

• Options

You just need to get your nutrition right Marrows - It's in your hands.

• Options

Marrows, just decent structured training. 2 speed sessions,easy running recoveries ,1 tempo, 1 LSR.

Maybe next year but that's very optimistic. Would be happy with 'close to' maybe1:02/3.

lou diamonds- not long now image

• Options

Mcmillian currently puts my 10mile equivalent at 1:07 so It would require a massive improvement for me to get close to 60mins.

Maybe next year.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Yep Lou - if I forget to eat, I could miss our club record by 1 second. That would be annoying.

Jason I look forward to following your 10 mile progress!

I binned the recovery run yesterday but did walk 6 miles and cycle 9 so OK on calories even though it was steak Wednesday again.   I'll go to the track tonight but not do a proper session, just pester clubmates a bit and wait for parkrun on Saturday when I am a bit fresherer.

Off coffee this week and have been sleeping outstandingly well.

• Options

Do you drink a lot of coffee by any chance marrows? 

lou, any things possible with beliefeimage

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Gotcha, jurassic improvement etc. Usually two a day weekdays. Sometimes one or two at the weekend.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Done my baby track session: 4x400m (200m recoveries) with some much better runners who were doing many more reps. 1:26, 1:25, 1:25, - enough of this cruising around chatting - 1:22. Got some panic-inducing taper twinges in one hip while warming up, but sorted it out with a tennis ball when I got home. 

I doubt that such a lenient session does anything for my fitness, but I enjoyed it and felt reassured by how comfortable it felt after a baddish run on Tuesday.  Love running fast in a group.