Options

RW Forum 5 - Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    marrows wrote (see)

There's been a problem with peanut butter though: I completely ran out by Friday and have now had to move back in with my parents for a bit. They have a full jar (not for long)

Ha ha image Amazing the lengths people will go to to get a fiximage 

Great to hear the anaemia was found and sorted!

• Options

marrows. Damn,flaw in the plan!

• Options

5 miles in total tonight.

3x1m (1600m) off 400 recovery. 

6:03, 6:08, 6:13. 

Quite a tough session as expected (27 miles in 3 days!!) 

looking forward to rest/easy miles 2moro night.

rest of the week looks pretty mental as I will be running 5days straight but easy mileage breaks it up nicely?

tue: easy 2/3, wed: 5/6 club session, thur: 4/5 easy/steady Friday LSR consisting of 10+.

24/5 miles top for this week but cranking it back up next image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good speed Jason. Why don't you run more miles?

Rest day yesterday and working from home this week - haven't stepped outside for 36 hours - time to invent an errand I think

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Today my schedule said 8 miles easy with 10x100m strides but I decided that rather than plod round alone for 8 miles it would be more fun to do evening hill reps with a local herd of triantelope.  They do laps, running hard (but not too hard! cut-back week, remember) uphill for about 550m, then jogging back down the long way round to make a mile loop.  I didn't go hard enough for legs to burn, but puffed and blew a lot, especially because I've got a slightly bunged up head today.  Conveniently, I had to leave after 4 or 5 laps (pie to eat) but one of the guys said they were going to go round 10 times! Respect.  I ran some errands earlier which meant about 4 miles jogging, so 10-11 miles total for the day.

I've really missed interval sessions.

The reason I'm not sure how many laps of the hill I did is that when I got home, my Garmin died. It's already been fixed/replaced twice.  Won't switch on.

Slow 12 miles tomorrow

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

oh also I wore yellow shoes and used an alpkit gamma. I hope you approve, cougie

• Options
    Very impressive stuff ! 11 miles on an 8 mile day !

Just listen to your body though - your plan is already qiute high mileage so adding extra might stretch you a bit more. We dont want you to snap !

Loving the yellow and alpkit. We must talk triathlon one day....
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

OK body I hear you! Still got a touch of sniffles whcih are well timed to coincide wtih cut-back week at least.

Talking triathlon - Meldy warned me about that.  I nearly signed up for half IM last September but something else came up. Close shave.

Today I was on taxi duty so dropped off my passenger and then went exploring.  No GPS and no idea where i was going so I ran at low effort for 1h46 and hoped that was about 12 miles.  Scared some pigs and got muddy.  Lots of near-falling-over in road shoes (not so yellow now) - does that count as core workout? I feared the car owner might not share my love of mud so spent some time rinsing my feet with a can of diet coke found in said car.  Then was clean enough to step inside for stage 2 (flannel + sink).

You regular flannel+sinkers: how do you clean your hair? My head sweats.

• Options
    Nice work and a gold star for the macgyver style shoe cleaning. Very resourceful.
  • Options

Good going marrows. Not sure about the cleaning method though. 

rest day yesterday gave me fresh legs for tonights club hill session. 

got a text earlier before asking if I wanted to do extra miles before the start. 3 miles warm up at 7:30 pace....nice!!

extra 1 mile to get to the hill. 15 min on the first 1 400m up recovery down. Second set was a pyramid of 100m 300m 400m again for 15 mins and also recovery down Each time.

nearly 3 mile cool down gave me a total of 10.8 mile for the night !! 

Longest mid week run I've ever done So very impressed. 6 miles 2moro and LSR Friday will now change my weeks mileage to over 30 so glad to see that. 

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

10-11 miles.. hills.. copycat

My Garmin is back from the dead.  I've celebrated by creating a new Strava segment

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Yesterday, I forgot to stretch BUT I did make lifetime first attempt at the renowned CORE H routine.  I struggled with the V-sits.  If my dad heard the grunting noises through the door he was too polite to enquire.

Today was a 5 mile recovery jog in the rain. Luminous bogies, but resting HR is back to normal

I noticed during Tuesday's hill reps that I find it much harder to keep my hips high & forward whilst running uphill.. is it supposed to be like that?

• Options

2 miles recovery tonight. Pretty pointless I know but just felt good to turn the legs over after yesterday's battering.  image

I always got told to turn the legs over quicker up the hills. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

marrows - I have tried that Core H workout (H for Hell clearly). It made it onto my top ten list of near death experiences!

lol image I was going to say I can't imagine what sort of noises you were making but sadly I know only too well.

How are the peanut butter reserves? And will you move out (or on to the next unsuspecting victim) when they are gone?

Great to see you doing so well. I missed earlier that you are trying to get under 60kg - sixty? Was that a typo? How is that possible?

Ja5onW - I believe that even just a small amount of running can have a recovery benefit by getting the blood pumping and moving any toxins away. So your 2 miles were certainly not pointless.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Yep Malcs the abs soreness just started to kick in.  I finished one jar of parents' peanut butter this morning but there's another at the back of the cupboard. Sainsbury's delivery back home is scheduled for the day before I return, and will include some peanut butter, to ensure continuity of supply.

60kg is possible if you're only 1.69m tall! My current weight is healthy and stable but not speed-optimal. I'd be happy to see it go down a little so I can run faster. On the other hand I do care about the healthy and stable part, and love to eat, so you won't see me making massive efforts to shift it!  I had a go on one of those body analysers at VLM expo and was declared 'NORMAL WEIGHT STRONG TYPE' which I'll take image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha - good forward thinking on the supplies front image

Aha, I guess height does play a big part. That said you're only 10cm under my height and I'm 72Kg.

"NORMAL WEIGHT STRONG TYPE" - lol, brilliant! image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

10 miles in the dark at 7:45/mile or so this evening was nice and comfortable.  I got chased by some schoolkids which fortunately did not interfere with my first attempt at Strava art.

I have recovery 5 miles tomorrow and then a long run Sunday.  The schedule says 15 miles this Sunday and 21 next - but I'm racing a 10K next weekend so I think I will bring the 21 forward to this weekend (but keep it slow)

• Options

Sounds good that you're finding it comfortable to do 10 at that pace marrows.  What exactly does strava art involve? Running a route in the shape of a cock?

I did the core h routine for the first time in a few months last weekend. I managed to balance the Vs much better than I remember. I suppose thats good but I think it was easier when l kept tipping over.  A

nother session planned for tonight as soon as the kids are in bed.

8m MP tomorrow then 18 lsr Sunday, which will be The Longest Run I Have Ever Done. Slightly nervous tbh.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Lou, not necessarily but in this case, yes.  It seemed like an easy and traditional way to start. I nailed the business end but the testicles are squashed.

Enjoy the 18. It might be horrible and perhaps you'll cry. What plan are you following?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Marrows - lol image Why did they chase you? Do you think they somehow knew that you were marking out the shape of a giant member? 

Wow, 21 milers already - impressive stuff!

Lou - really hope you enjoy the 18, take it sloooow. Well done on taking on the core H again, I still can't bring myself to revisit.

• Options

Following Hal Higson Advanced 2 schedule of his website. The midweek sessions feel quite comfotable, a bit too comfortable even, but the typically has back to back MP/lsr on the weekend which I have mostly been ok, but might get harder now the numbers are getting bigger.

malcs - ive decided to try and do both the core h routine and the asics leg workout once eack week. Legs tend to feel a bit heavy a day or two after both of them.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Malcs - just larking about I think. They liked my head torch.

Lou - sounds like your training is going well.  Good.  I just looked at the Hal Higdon thing and it's very different to my Pfitzinger & Douglas one. P&D has lots of mid-week long runs and no interval sessions until quite late on.

• Options

Other than the long run at the weekend and the recovery runs its little different to my normal routine. That's why I chose it really, but tbh it doesn't really feel like a marathon program. 

It will peak at around 55mpw. So decent enough mileage but it does feel a bit unbalanced. Tempted to ad a few easy miles on to the weekly tempo to get them into double figures at least.

My missus was also planning to do Brighton next year using P&D55.  We thought that if she's doing much of her training midweek and I'm doing mine at the weekend the kids would be less likely to receive a visit from social services.  she's pregnant now though, so her marathon plans are on hold for a while.

8 @ MP done averaging 7:18 and, apart from a couple of uphill sections, felt comfortable at that.  Slight ache in my right hip.  I experimented with few foam roller exercises on my upper legs last night so hopefully it due to that and nothing more serious developing.

• Options

Good going Lou diamonds. Sounds like this 3:30 is going to be laughed at by us lot.

Resting for 3 straight days for me as its my birthday Today so going out tonight image Back on it monday night. 

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

His & hers compatible mara schedules Lou - I hadn't thought of that market before.  When's the baby due? popped out in time to train for Abo? image or is she going to come out with some twaddle about needing time to recover from pregnancy and childbirth, or take care of your baby, or something? Congratulations anyhow and good luck for the long run tomorrow.

Happy birthday Jason. if you get very drunk, please send us a message or two before you go to bed.

5 miles recovery around 9:30/mile this afternoon.  Favourite paths not as flooded as I feared! Stopped off to watch a frisbee game

• Options
    Due in June, so plenty of time for Abo, but for some reason she's talking about spring 16 for her next Mara campaign.

Happy birthday Ja5e.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

21 miles this morning nice and steady (averaging 8:15/mile) with an old friend, out and back along the canal so it was flat but muddy and climaxed in a refreshing 100m stretch of ankle-deep water.

Long slow distance is getting easier, and nothing broken yet after 6 weeks of high mileage (55, 57, 57, 60, 64, 63 miles).

That concludes 'MESOCYCLE 1: ENDURANCE' in the P&D schedule.  Tomorrow I embark on 'MESOCYCLE 2: ENDURANCE + LACTATE THRESHOLD'.  This was a cutback week with no fast running but Pfitz&Doug are back to bash me on the head now:

M: rest
    Tu: 10M w/5M@LT
    W: med/long 14M
    Th: recovery 5M
    F: med/long 11M
    Sa: GA 7M w/ 10x100m strides
    Su: long run 21M
    total: 68M

well actually I plan to bunk off the long Sunday run and race a 10K instead.  That's why I did the 21 miles today.  Once again it is the Tuesday/Wednesday combo that alarms me most.

• Options
    Nice running yesterday. Hope you put your feet up tonight - looks like you will need it !
  • Options

5 miles last night on the track.

1m WU 400/800m with 200 jog recovery x3 each. Then progression sprints for 400 x2 100m jog 100m 10k pace 100m 5k pace then last balls out sprint!

80/3:00 80/3:01 80/2:58 very consistent and very pleased.

nice run on Sunday marrows 21 is not an easy mileage so by you saying it's easy that must mean your super fit!! 

• Options

easy 4 tonight in new trainers. Nothing special, jut nice to wind down from yesterday's beast session.

legs felt a little sore for the first mile but nothing long lasting. image