RW Forum 5 - Sub 5

Comments

• Options

/members/images/186716/Gallery/B&Wmedals.jpg

'Medals' is a loose term for it image

• Options

Argh, now why didn't that work image

• Options

I have tried electrolytically etching spoons using wax, salt water, a battery, and some wires.  The water turns opaque and green which is nice but the spoons come out a bit of a mess when I do it.

• Options

Daffs, with the event being Buttons for Brathay Bells & Whistles - it's a printed ribbon and instead of the usual medal it's got a metal whistle, bell and button hanging from it.  Hopefully looks better than it sounds!! 

• Options

marrows - I don't really train in the conventional sense of the word (in fact I'm barely running at all at the mo so I need a kick up the a*se too!).  Basically each marathon is training for the next one.  I'm also not good with conventional sources of nutrition - I'd rather eat sweets and crisps/peanuts than gels and bars.

• Options

bells and whistles and buttons sounds fab!! Quite jealous I'm not doing it now image

Bam86! How very lovely to see you. 4 hours in heels DEFINITELY counts as training in my book, and 4 hours of *shopping* in heels is ultra endurance, so extra points image

VERY glad you won' be forcing me to munch gels and bars and nonsense. I got round the last marathon on a couple of flapjacks from the Women's Institute image

• Options

Oh that sounds very much like my usual marathon nutrition image

Finding out what food and drink works for you, and equally what doesn't, is almost as big a part of your training as the actual running bit.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Ooh finally found you Daffsimage I'm really looking forward to following this thread I might even join in with some of the runs!!!! 

I must not, must not enter Chester image 

*moves away from the computer*

• Options

Woohoo Daffs

So glad you've been chosen - you can always pop down and do some southern softie races in your build up - I'm sure Yums would put you up and so would I if necessary.........

.....which was meant to sound more gracious than it comes out in print!!!

Good luck gal

• Options

Hey!
    I'm doing the VMLM 2014 with Oxfam in April...

Currently away skiing until 4th Jan and couldn't find a gym anywhere (unless I wanted to pay 25 euros per session at some hotel gym) so I'm getting the mileage in skiing to increase core strength along with core workout back in chalet I'm stayingin and have brought a skipping rope ready for high intensity workout!

A little more about me...

I'm 18 years old (19 in July 2014) and only got back into sport in May 2013 after a series of foot operations (14 surgeries in total, 3 of those major) from April 2009 and am still left with a quite severely deformed left foot with my sesamoid bone (where if you are on tippy toes it is under big toe) extremely inflamed and I still struggle with pain.

I used to sail competitively along with hockey, netball, rounders all at county level in year 9 at school and xc up until about year 7 so was a very fit & healthy person

Currently studying A-levels and working 16hrs a week so find it very difficult for time - my usual week consists:

Mon: 9am leave flat, arrive back by 6pm as Southampton traffic awful and finish college in New Forest at 4:20pm

Tue: 9am leave, back by 4:30 - usually work 5:30 - 9:30 tuesdays (realistically 10pm finish so home by 10:15)

Wed: 8am leave, finish college 1:40 so can be back by 2:30 but use  my afternoon for run in forest

Thurs: 8am leave, home by 6pm but sometimes work again a 5:30-9:30

Friday: 8am leave, home by 6pm

Sat: work at least 4 hours, sometimes 6 but can shifts vary - usually on a 9-1 or 4-8 or 5.30-9.30

sun: work at least 4 hours, sometimes 6 but again shifts vary - usually 11.30-3.30, 10-4, 11-3 or 2-6.

Along with boyfriend starting work at 7am sometimes so up early and I tend to go to college earlier straight to library...luckily boyfriend runs too but conflicting shifts at work (we work together though) and conflicting run plans can make it hard to train together.

I'm wanting to do VMLM in 4:30 but will be happy with sub 5 considering I only started training late october (when I found out I was doing it) and I was hit by bad chesty cold which took me 3 weeks to recover from along with a stint in hosp and foot playing up...

At the moment 5k run (training havent managed to do a park run yet due to work) at 25:27 (8:11 min/mi) with McMillan calculator estimating marathon at 4:07!!!!

Currently doing about 18 miles a week (6 runs per week) so really need to start upping my training mileage wise...

How is everyones nutrition?? I struggle with planning meals too time wise as can never run on full stomach....

• Options
    Yay I'm glad I have confirmation that today counts as part of training image tomorrow I shall put on my new trainers and get serious! My first marathon training was unconventional - 2/3 runs a week, tried 1 gel once n had to use the loo pretty quick after I stopped, rest of the time was normal food, not enough water and using whatever energy bars etc I was given. Yes, I'm a cheapskate at times and I don't understand so I'll take whatever! Apologies for copious use of commas!

Hi emma37! How is your foot holding up with running after the ops? Yep technically u could do a 4:07 marathon but until u have longer distances to compare it's hard to tell as there's no results which show your endurance or stamina. No reason why
  • Options
    Blergh stupid forum! Should say no reason why u can't achieve under 4:30 if u stick to a plan. I did say more but cba to write it all again as it's late!
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Yay Daffers - here's to the bohemian training thread. Sounds like you've found your spiritual home!

Looking forward to following your progress and watching you smash Spence's PB (mwah ha ha ha)

*bounces around in an over excited anticipatory way

• Options

Yay, more people image

Hello to all my lovely pals from the Working At It Slowly thread - you've provided much support and hilarity over the last 10 years and I shan't be abandoning you now, even with all this fame and glory!! image

Welcome Emma37 image Running 6 times a week?! Goodness me, that's keen! Are they all the same length and time or do you vary a bit?

Bam86 - aha, new trainers, of course! That's exactly what I meant to do this week and now I have a lovely excuse image

Nutrition... I have a reasonably healthy diet with an excessive fondness for cake. Things got a little out of hand a while back and I've been going to Slimming World for about 5 months now - lost 1.5 stone with just another few lbs to go.

I feel MUCH better now I'm a little bit lighter, and find it much easier to run, and have much more motivation!

Never really thought too much about nutrition while running. I tend to eat cereal bar/ banana/ yogurt (not all of them!) before I run, and usually take water if I'll be out for over an hour (although lately I've been getting quite thirsty while running, so taking for shorter distances too). I usually run in the morning, and eat probably 5 mins before going out... image

Plan this morning is to sit in cafe and write training plan for next few months image

• Options

oooh look what I found! image Daffs this is so exciting and you are certainly going to get quite a support crew!

Chester marathon everyone? might as well join in! Spence, DL, sister of Daffs, Meldy, Podds image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

image Don't say things like that Far Far!!! 

DL, Daffs is easily going to smash my PB (still held at Windy not Chester) because she's got that "thing" that I don't have...I had that "thing" at Windy when I was after Meldy's glove but its gone image I'm hoping that "thing" will come back for me to get a half PB next year image

What training plan you following Daffs?

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

That 'thing'? ......Thrush?

• Options

Oi!! Don't you be casting aspersions on my nether regions!! 

Yay to a big Chester meet up imageimage You too DL, you don't get out of it that easily!!

Just busy writing my own training plan Spence image Looks something like this...

Phase 1: Liverpool half (23rd March)

As now (1 swim, 1 bike, 1 pilates, 3 runs), but increase long runs - 7miles, 8,7,8,9,6,9,10,11,10,6, then Liverpool Half on 23rd March (PB currently stands at 3.04 - got to be able to lose half an hour surely?!)

Phase 2: Stratford triathlon (11th May)

Extra bike but keep running fairly steady (1 swim, 2 bikes (one outside), 3 runs) - long runs ticking over at 4miles, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, then triathlon on 11th May

Phase 3: Chester marathon (6th October)

Not got as far as planning for this bit yet... but I'm hoping having 5 months to prepare, and already being regularly running 15-18 miles a week will stand me in good stead! Might drop regular swimming (and even spin classes, maybe) so could perhaps add in another run or two if necessary

What do you reckon??

• Options

I don't tend to plan what I'll do on which day til the week itself - the days I travel for work change quite a bit at the minute and there's no point trying to do a long run on the same day as 4 hours of travelling!

So this week will look something like...

• Mon - 30 mins pilates
    • Tues - 7m
    • Wed - rest
    • Thurs - 2m
    • Fri - 1 hour spin class, 30 mins swim
    • Sat - 3m (parkrun)
    • Sun - rest (family visit?)

• Options
    Omg the weather is horrendous!! My bf is about to take me for food so hopefully it will have cleared up a bit later.... Does anyone else have a thing about getting their new shoes wet/dirty?!

I'm sure u can lose 30 mins of ur hm time. What will ur other 2 runs be?
  • Options

One 3 miles (usually parkrun), and one in the week - usually 2 miles of moaning before work, but I'll work on getting it to 3 or 4 miles, or possibly doing proper speedwork or something...

I love getting new running shoes wet and dirty image In fact, I am just this minute heading off to the running shop to buy some new ones image

• Options

*peeks in briefly* - goodness I'm going to struggle to keep up with you lot during the day. image

• Options

Well done on getting this Daffs image will be following your progress too!

Its a ritual getting shoes dirty, I treated myself to a pair of nice yellow Mudclaw 300's some weeks back, they stayed yellow for almost a day .... been a funny mud tinted colour ever since!

Mind you, this rain should clean them down a bit image

• Options

don't worry kaz, it'll calm down once the initial excitement wears off and we all goback to work!

just bought new shoes imageimage bright red somethig-or-others - they looked very swish with my black and grey over the knee socks image

got to love a running shop that makes you a cuppa and gives you a free cake image

• Options

Hey guys! Thanks for replies! image

Sportsshoes.com have some AMAZING sale prices for running shoes at the moment so might be worth a look!

Dr Daffs - I'm having to run shorter distances at the moment hence why I'm having to run 6 days a week as GP advised me it would be less impact on foot. Although my surgeon told me I could do no further damage to it when I was officially discharged back in Jan 2011 I'm still slightly sceptical that bones/metalwork might have shifted as I do lose sensation/tingling in my toes along with more pain...should be seeing surgeon in the NY to get it all checked over though and give me a peace of mind and most likely have steroid injections again...

My current training plan is lost somewhere in the New Forest after I lost my memory stick whilst supporting my boyfriend at the CC6 league! Luckily he's supporting me and helping me up my training now and new training plan as soon as I get back from holiday on 4th Jan.

I usually do 2.5 - 3 mile runs daily or take one day out and focus on core & stretching on foam foller with wednesdays being my "long" run day in the new forest with 4 - 5 mile runs.

Bam86 - You're definitely right, once I get the all clear from surgeon to really up my mileage then I will definitely have more of an idea of a realistic time. This is going to be my first marathon and it's in aid of charity too so it's not the end of the world if I don't get what I want - I plan to do more in future for myself and will have a lot longer to train image

• Options

Also nutritition wise I'm quite big on it - especially as eating healthy is cheaper and being a student living independently this is always helpful image

I'm also a vegetarian (no meat or fish) so I have to be very careful with my diet and training - I eat a lot of pastas with tomato sauces and some sort of veg (usually peppers), bananas on toast for breakfast, porridge with bananas and oat milk instead of regular milk...

I also have a slow cooker (lots of people chuckle that aged 18 I'm already banging on how amazing they are but they REALLY are) where I literally just bung in a load of veg (usually going out of date so super cheap from supermarket and leave it for whole day and come back to dinner basically cooked for me!

I get a lot of recipe/food inspiration of blogs and pinterest too - would really advise people to look at this for super yummy food - butternut squash risotto is AMAZING!

Dr Daffs - I think most people have an excessive fondness for cake...I certainly do!!

• Options

Hi Emma37, welcome to the gang.  Think we're turning into a merry little band image. Agree with Bam86 that you'll not get a real indication of potential finish time till you're doing longer runs but I see no reason why it shouldn't be achievable.  Obviously the main thing for you right now is getting the all clear from your surgeon. 

As for nutrition, I think it's a combination of being a bit of a cheapskate and not really buying into the whole sports products market.  I know people who eat loads of gels, drink all the sports drinks and that works for them.  Equally I know people (me included) who'll run a marathon on a handful of peanuts and coke/water.  Like I said yesterday, it's very much a case of finding what works for you and that's something we can look at over the next few weeks/months.

Emma, re planning meals around your daily schedule and your runs, one thing you could try is having a snack an hour or so before you head off for your run.  I'll have something like a peanut butter sarnie or an Eat Natural bar just before I leave work and by the time I get home I'll be fuelled and ready to head off.  Might be easier for you to fit more filling snacks in rather than trying to shoehorn a meal in.

Oh and I hate muddy shoes.  In fact I have a pathological hatred of mud in general image  I do love new shoes.  Feel the need to flex the plastic again though I may wait till I'm in the States next month!

• Options

Ultra Kanga Kazzaaaaah - 

I've always avoided the sports products markets as there is nearly always a cheaper option! Instead of post workout shakes my boyfriend and I drink chocolate milk which is our motivation sometimes to get out there! I'm not really needing gels etc as of yet as I'm not running the mileage but I think it will be something I'll have to research as will need to replenish lost ions etc on long runs...sports drinks I've found squash with sugar added in has done the trick for a quick boost! Used to have this when I was younger if I was ill to boost energy! Wish I could run on peanuts and coke!!

I've always had that dilemma of early morning runs whether to eat breakfast or not but I eventually found that a banana worked for me or if I am able to wait for one hour banana on toast image

I definitely need to start planning meals around my schedule & running plans - eat natural bars are super yummy too!

That's the difference - I love getting muddy in the forest and driving home feeling successful and jumping in the shower! I always run through the mud rather than avoid it!

• Options

Chocolate milk is great and is a post-long run staple for me.  I'll often mix my own sports drink - 50/50 oj/water with a pinch of salt.  It's worth trying gels, they may work for you.  I used to use gels till I discovered that I could only cope with so many before my stomach rebelled very badly!  Not good when you're still a couple of miles from home.  Whether I eat before I run depends very much on how far I'm going.  As I tend to do my long runs first thing in the morning I'll often get up 90/120 mins before I intend to go out to get my breakfast and take it back to bed to eat it.

• Options

What does the 50/50 orange juice/water taste like?? I'm going to try gels - my Mom uses them when going mountain biking a lot so might "borrow" a fewimage

That sounds like a good idea about getting back into bed to eat it - something I could do quite easily!! Luckily my long run day can realistically only be wednesday afternoons and either sat/sun so I don't have the issue image