Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Simon, you are well ahead in your training! image I hope the next four months go well.

I have booked a couple of local races as part of my training. I have yet to choose a 10k in February, but am going to run Richmond half-marathon in March and a ten miler for fun in April, Fuller's Thames Towpath.

• Options

Hello everyone, nice to come across this thread relatively early in the chat!  I can see already that there'll be some really interesting marathon journeys unfolding here. 

Am signed up for Ed Marathon 2014 having done the Half last year.  It'll be my second Marathon - but I haven't actually done my first yet.  That's in just over 2 week's time...

So when I say I'm doing Edinburgh, what I probably mean is, 'watch this space', I might be screaming never again when I cross the line (assuming I get across the line of course!)

Everyone out for a run tonight, maybe already been out this morning?

• Options

Im doing Manchester marathon month before I do Edinburgh marathon. Was also thinking about chester half marathon week before Edinburgh as a last run.

• Options

Hi All,

Thanks for starting the thread Kathy, gives me somewhere to come and get all my Marathon stresses of my chest!

I'm just getting back into my running now, quite a long story but short version is I had to get an ankle arthroscopy in September and haven't "run" properly since. Will be starting my training plan in Feb too, currently just trying to get fitness levels up as I got quite lazy over the last 6 months and did nothing - which was quite good too! Currently up to 5 miles now though, so feeling a lot more positive!!

I did Edinburgh last year and have done the 1/2 a few times as well so happy to share experiences...Simon, to answer your question, with the right planning, it would be quite easy to get to a couple of view points and then back to the finish, I would probably recommend a viewpoint at Portobello, then Prestonpans at mile 12ish and then back to the finish to give her plenty of time to get parked etc? I would ask though if you are already on week 9 of the training program, you should be careful of not overcooking it if it's your 1st?

Pineapple - I'll be at Alloa 1/2 too, did it last year, loved it! Running at the foot of the Ochils was a great experience!

Ann - I did VLM last year and the Edinburgh after (another story), got some good advice from various sources and managed it no problem! I'll do my best to help you if I can?

Good luck everyone, looking forward to hearing all the stories along the way and getting some motivation from everyone!

• Options

Week 16 of my training plan will be the last week of Feburary, so my plan was to see how comfortable i feel a do a 26.2 mile run in training on the last week of February, then take a week off, then repeat from Week 6, i think, of the training plan so i peak at the end of May.

Not sure if that's the best way of doing it, but week 7 is a 14 mile run and then slowly increase that again to the Race day.

This is the training program - http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/intermediate-marathon/

With my lady friend, it'll be public transport only as we'll be taking the train up.  I've got her a bus ticket from the start line to the finish, so with the course doubling back on itself, i think she should be able to see me off at the start, get the bus to the finish line and then see me coming from at around the 10 mile mark.

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Hi Kathryn, what marathon are you doing first? Let us know how you got on image

Hi Rick Have you run marathons so close together before?

Hi Miggito. You're welcomeimage  What has the weather been like in Edinburgh at the end of May? Or has it been mixed?

• Options

Nice to hear a others are doing/ have experience of marathons close together! 

Really looking forward to this! Who thought running could be so much fun?

Hi Miggito. I was thinking about resting for two weeks after Brighton and then just building it back up again( 5 weeks). Doing the great Edin run on 27th April might be a fun way of getting back into it?

Anyone else doing the great Edin run? 10 miles, city centre route! Would be nice if the Edin marathon took in more of the Edinburgh center!

• Options

hi Kathy. no ive not run 2 marathons close together.but im normally good to go a week or so after a marathon.i think the trick is to know your own body,and I would be on over 20 mile runs in the build up to a marathon anyway,so I will train my mind to treat the Manchester marathon as a 20 plus build up run ,the chester half marathon the week before edinbugh I will prob take it easy and not race it ,from now on my plan is to do 6am 5 milers midweek with a 7 mile club run midweek then my long sunday runs, unless someone on here can tempt me with a better training plan ,im a open book to any good advice,

• Options

Hey all

Simon, yes, there's a good double vantage point just after mile 9 near Mussleburgh Stadium where your friend can see you looking strong on the outward stretch, and then triumphant on the homeward last km.

Rick, like your plan.  Nice opportunity for some steady Mara pace running midweek, and the crucial weekly long one.  And Ann, will look forward to hearing about Brighton, gorgeous place to run.

Kevin and Miggito - excellent stuff persevering after injuries, and getting back into training and committing to this one.  Hope it's smooth sailing now til end of May.

And so many of you aiming for around 4 hours.  Fantastic.  I'm doing Dubai on 24th Jan, and have really swithered re running hard (for me) and pushing aggressively for 4 hours, or forgetting pace targets and instead making it a priority to enjoy this 1st experience.  And I've decided on 'finish with a smile and try not to have a disaster'.  4 hours would be a real stretch even if all the stars were aligned. 

I applaud you all training through UK winter, I was back for a few days over Christmas and managed a handful of runs in hailstone and rain, it was yuk.

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

What training plans are people going to follow?

Last year, I chose the RW's basic Intermediate schedule. I often couldn't commit to the five runs in a week, so left the shortest one out. But it had four 20 milers, which I thought was good.

This year, I am going to follow RW's Ultimate Sub-4:30 training plan. It looks more manageable, but it only has two 20 milers, along with one 17 and one 18 milers. Maybe I'll squeeze in a couple more. image

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Hi All, I've chosen Edinburgh as my first marathon too.

Kathy H I'm only doing three runs a week plus a long cycle and some circuit training once a week. But I am injury prone so I just want to make it to the start!

I would love to be able to do under 4 hours but I'll just have to see how the training goes. I have a 1:44:30 half PB but have no idea how that will translate into a marathon.

I was planning to do a 20 mile race The Grizzly in March. But it's meant to be particularly tough so I've wimped out and downgraded to the 12 mile version.

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Hi Uluru. With the time you got for your half, you are almost definitely going to get sub-4 hours for your marathon image with room to spare.

• Options

I'm doing Edinburgh this year too, after I've had a crack at the Cape Wrath! It's a week before and feeling like I won't be able to give it a good shot!

Training for Lochaber though so should have a good base to jog around in under 4image

doing the runners world sub 3:15 schedule. quite tough! into week 4 at the moment and have to run sub 40 min 10k tomorrow???? ha

• Options

Kathy, I'm doing the BUPA Intermediate.  just completed week 9 which was a 10km "race", done in 45:55 which to me is a very good time.  Next Sunday will be 18 miles which I'm dreading a bit, definitely the longest run I've ever done by 3 miles.

• Options

I will be following the plan devised by Sam Murphy for the "Sub 4.00 My 26.2 Asics Journey to Paris", blogged by James in the Spring Marathon thread.

Last year I followed the RW sub 4.00, with some mods, as I got injured 1 week into the plan and lost 3wks right away.. Hopefully we have better luck this time image

• Options

Kathy,

I've made up my own training plan, loosely based around the RW Challenge break 330 plan. Not that I've decided to go for sub 330 yet, will decide maybe end March once I see how progress is coming along, would like to do sub 345 this year if I can but will jiggle things around if required as don't want another injury, and I am determined to be disciplined this year!

Ran 6 miles this morning, very slow and not ashamed to say I stopped to walk a few times but felt good considering I've not ran that far since June of last year! Should be ready to start the proper training on the 3rd Feb tho, last week I had man flu so obviously couldn't do anything!  image

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Man flu is a good excuse image. My training partner's excuse on our 16km run on Sunday was that his legs were tired from doing Park Run the day before! Us girls are made of tougher stuff image or I hope I am!

• Options

Kathy H, I'm following a 4h15m plan on Asics. Only 3 runs a week but I do other training too so hoping to be ok.

Rich26, Love the way you say jog round in under 4, some of us are just hoping to get somewhere near 4. Obviously you are a seasoned runner. image

Miggito, sounds like you are at a similar stage to me, I did 6 miles Sunday (longest run so far this year) and also walked a little. Have had a chest cold though so I was really happy with 6, finally feel like I might be getting somewhere image

• Options

Hi - i have missed the cut off for entries so if anyone knows of a spare place going I would be interested...

• Options

Is the race full? That's crazy! what is going on these days? who is taking all these places? I think people should have to qualify for a marathon! eg 10k or Half in a certain time. Anyone who does qualify gets first stab at a place! Would make it easier for all the hard core runners to get the places! Rant over image

• Options

Rich 26, Not sure if you are being serious or not. Not wishing to get into an argument, but maybe all the hardcore runners should enter the less popular events. Why shouldn't less hardcore runners get the chance to run a marathon. You don't get any quicker if you don't do the distance and a race situation is a lot more motivational.

• Options

Hi all, I am running the Edinburgh Marathon as my first.  I decided to run for charity at the same time.  I am using the RW sub 4hr training plan. I'm a member of a local running club and tend to get good distance in with them.  As part of my training I have gone for a 12.5k in Feb and the Alloa half in March.

• Options

Well, got the (almost all clear) from surgeon who operated on my ankle, he reckons the niggles I'm getting are from the dissolvable screw in my ankle which will fully dissolve over the next couple of months, so fingers crossed!

Managed 6 miles this morning, only stopped once at 5 1/2  (I have a mile of uphill to my house image) so getting better very day. Man flu defintiely gone now!

Kevin, good for you, hope fully we can nudge each other on to bigger things! I'm looking forward to checking these early posts in a couple of months to see how far I've come.

Colin, well done on going for your 1st Marathon, hope it all goes well and good luck with the fundraising, another one for Alloa as well.

Rich, if you were being serious, what a lot of p1sh!! image

• Options

Hi everyone and thanks for starting this thread Kathy

A few moments ago I signed up to this site after reading the Ed' Mara' thread for a bit of Edinburgh marathon inspiration and to get a bit of local knowledge about the course, weather, etc. I'm writing from Melbourne where I live and don't know anyone who is running the race. The back story is that my wife, kids and I lived in Edinburgh for 18 month in 2000/01 (still regret coming home but that's a longer story!) where I would jog from our flat in Montgomery St down to Portebello and back a couple of times a week. Entered the Ed' marathon 3 years ago out of sentiment but tore a calf and it didn't happen. So with a couple of mara's under my belt and a better understanding about how to prep myself for 42.2k's I entered when entries were first released (a little too keen I know.....sorry Rich my pb is only 3.46).

If you've been watching the Aus' Open you'll know it's bloody hot here at the moment which makes training a little harder than usual. Most marathons here are run in the Spring also so I've never seriously trained in the summer for an autumn race (if this makes sense). However, I understand that the event has been run in very hot conditions a couple of times so I guess it's good prep,....in this regard not sure why the start is so late with half starting earlier though???  

Also interested in dealing with the jet lag after a 26 hour flight, arrive on the preceding Wednesday, plenty of time to think about that though.

Sorry, didn't mean for my first entry to be a book. Good luck everyone with your training and keeping injury free. I'm guessing the days are getting shorter and a bit cooler, might sound dumb but I'd rather your conditions than 40+ degree heat here.

• Options

Edinburgh hotel booked! It's really happening.

Training plan - am also kind of cobbling one together, based on running club sessions geared specifically towards Dubai marathon on 24th.  Long run every fri, Long intervals tue, and a mash-up of my own choice in between, peaked at about 55 miles in Dec.  Now tapering and excited re next week's race.

Russell, hi! I'll be training through Dubai spring into early summer so it'll be fairly warm here too, though it's a sublime 18 degrees early morning here just now.  Will be good to hear how you're getting on.

All - will def welcome some advice about how to transition from one Mara into new training plan.  But we'll see how it goes first.

Miggito, nice update.  Sounds positive.  Simon, ready for long run Sunday?!  Uluru, agree with Kathy H re sub 4.  I keep hearing that if you can do 1:50 for half then it's utterly achievable to target sub 4.  Am still not 1:50 myself!  

happy running this weekend

• Options

Sounds like everyone is well underway for the Edinburgh Marathon.

Miggito, hope your ankle gets better soon and the training comes along nicely.

Kevin, hope the wrist is coming on fine.

Is anyone else using the RW sub 4 training plan?  On the slow runs ie 7 miles in 70 mins, I seem to struggle keeping to a 10min m pace.  When I am out with my running club I tend to do 10 miles @ 8.30-8.45 min pace.  As this is my first Marathon I thought the 4 hour mark was achievable.  Would anyone recommend changing to say a sub 3.45 plan or is it best to stick to the sub 4, bearing in mind that I haven't run this distance before?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

• Options

Good to "meet" you Russel, that's a long way to come for a Marathon!?!? Re the hot weather, you are right, it always seems to be one of the hottest days of the year on Edinburgh Marathon day, although last year was a bit cooler than previous years. I think it's an advantage if you can train in that kind of heat, will certainly prep you better than running in the 0 degrees I was doing yesterday. Hope you get yourself wrapped in cotton wool up to the date, I'd be bricking it in case I got injured and had to pull out to an event so far away.

Kathryn, I'm very jealous, I wanted to do Dubai this year as a "big one" as I'm hitting 40 soon this year but with my injury, I had to discount it. It's my favourite place in the world so if you're living out there too I'm even more jealous!

Cheers Colin, very pleased with progress, although I did go to the boozer last night and now have slight hangover but will be doing a very slow 8 miler tomorrow. Re your question, I am the same, always struggled to slow down. However, I think as it is your first one you should follow the plan and then after the Marathon use that experience for the next one to see if you could have pushed further. I was doing 8.30 - 8.45 as my LSR pace under 14 miles but found it difficult to sustain under Marathon conditions. A Marathon is a totally different ball game to a 1/2 so I would use your first to do the training as prescribed and use it all as experience. Edinburgh will be my 4th Marathon and I still feel I have loads to learn but using past experiences to try and ensure I am better prepared this time. I don;t know how young/fit etc you are though so it could be quite easy for you to revise to a lower time but maybe do it in another 6 weeks or so when the proper training starts and you know where you are so you don't injure yourself also as the mileage increases.

Enjoy your weekends all, only 2 weeks to go before the real work starts for me image

• Options

Hi Miggito

Thanks for the advice, I will continue with the sub 4hr plan and see how I fare on the day.

In terms of age I am 42 next and consider myself quite fit, tend to run roughly 5 times a week, though not as fit as some of the club runners I run with on Tuesday evenings. 

• Options

Good luck in all your training guys. I'm 5 weeks into mine and going well.

go with a plan that you think suits you. There is time to change paces and plans as you go.

Main thing to remember is not to take your weekly volumes up too quickly. by a rule of thumb I always stick to no more than 10% a week.

Edinburgh is a great race for a P.B on the right day(Overcast and 10c) wouldn't that be great.

Moral boosting run too! seeing the faster guys coming back at you is great!

really looking forward to it!

• Options

Hi Kathryn, gee I reckon Dubai trumps Melbourne for heat. Well done training in those conditions in lieu of the marathon on the 24th. Good luck and hope you enjoy the experience (smiling always helps) and hope you smash 4hrs.

Thanks for the heads up about the likely weather Miggito. Hopefully training in a bit of heat preps me for a hot marathon but fingers crossed for a cold day with a very slight breeze & intermittent drizzle. And yea, injury is always a worry, I guess I'll try and err on the side of causation and reach my first goal of getting to the start line. Planning to do a lot of distance but not too much speed stuff which only ends in tears (both kinds). Good luck with your full recovery - that dissolving screw thing makes me cringe.

One question, does anyone know why there are no pacers in this event - or does this happen informally anyway? I've found pacers to be a great help in terms of running at a constant speed and reaching a goal time. I guess there is an official regulation?

My 18-week mara training plan commences on Monday,....only 2 more sleeps!