Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Come on toastie - get off your @rse and get out there!!! How's that for motivation? image

I'll give you an even better one, I got up at 5am this morning, ran my LSR at 9-910 min miles for 10.65 miles, home at 7, got kids ready, at work for half past 8  - all that that and I am now "nearly" officially an old man! It's nice I can come here and share / gloat, everyone at work just thinks I'm a little bit mad image

Have a good weekend of running follks, Simon my plan starts on Monday but ironically I will have to miss the first day as I will be away!

+1 for Alloa, the hills aren't too bad PT, apart from the vertical at mile 11ish image  

• Options

Pineapple, I find it very hard to restrain myself on the slow runs as well, if my mind wanders, I tend to speed up.  I always thought this was because of 6'5" so have big, strong legs.

• Options

Hi all

nice to see that everyone is keeping up the hard work.

After my interval session on Weds ran a recovery on Thurs 3.8 miles with a 8:55m pace and then today was meant to be a rest day but decided to brave the wind and went out with the dog, steady 4.2miles @ 8:58 pace.

Rest day tomorrow as away to Glasgow for a friends birthday and sunday have an 8 miler planned.

• Options

Splendid updates.  Especially like Toastie's Stairs Challenge / Domestic Harmony management.  Next time you do stairs, crush him! Go on!  For the group! And Miggito, you're an early morning run winner! Marvellous stuff.

Did 15km with club ystday, should have been slow given it's only1wk since Mara, but there was some mix-up in group leader availability. It ended up around 8:30 min mile pace, too fast for my slow runs at the best of times, def too fast for ystday.  I bailed at 15km when we looped past my house, that was plenty.  Am planning just 2 or 3 light short runs in next few days.  Got some good advice about waiting at least another 3 weeks before even thinking about seriously long runs of above 27km. 

Races - next one here is the RAK half on Feb 14th.  I'm trying to convince husband that it would be most romantic indeed to get up at 4:45am to drive me there image  He seems almost persuaded!

enjoy your 8miler Colin. Hope the weather's kind. Robbie,welcome!  

Kathy, you done any treadmill work In last couple of days? Or ventured out? Ditto RJ?

• Options

Hi everyone.

Miggito, I am impressed!

As it was a sunny day, image I enjoyed running in the local park. After my two long days at work (!) my legs were quite tired and I couldn't get faster than a gentle jog. Not like some of you who find it difficult to run slowly enough!

But I am fairly pleased that I have managed to keep to my training plan. Just a four miler tomorrow to complete the second week.image

• Options

Hi all

Great to hear training is progressing well for most folk. Pineapple toastie, sure the motivational will lift with a few more miles under the belt and some bright weather image, hope you get through today's lsd in good nic and rar'n to go next week.

Hi Simon, I've entered a half 5 weeks out from the mara (in Geelong so guessing no-one on this site will be doing the same race) and will use this to gauge where I'm at in terms of my goal mara pace/time. 

Welcome & good luck with the mara prep Robbie.

Completed my lsd this morning (23 k's), weather was about 90 degrees when I finished the run at 9 am but I'm getting a bit better at running in the heat (well over 100 now). Ran very slow though, but getting the miles under my belt which is the name of the game for me (distance then speed!). 

As you mentioned sticking to the training plan Kathy, I missed one (tempo) session on Tuesday when I came home from work to find 3x fire engines, one cop car and half the neighbourhood in front of my house. No one hurt, finally found my dog that ran away in the commotion, insurance will cover the considerable fire & water damage and we are still able to live at one end of the house,....so things could have been worse. As a result, I didn't meet two goals for the week - to do all 5 planned runs (only 4) & to keep off the grog (needed a mild relaxant to deal with the shock) - but I reckon it's a valid excuse.

So my 18, then 17 week abstinence goal has been revised to 16 - weeks and plan to get 5x runs-in from here-on.  

By the way Miggito, I'm claiming the old man tag as I'll be 50 when I do the mara, also I do see the funny side of the grog thing and am expecting my right whack!image

Happy training y'all.

• Options

Kathryn, it'd be more romantic if you ran it together hand in hand image.

Will be setting off for a 13.1 mile training run that I'm supposed to race, going to try to do an 8:30 pace and beat my half marathon record.

• Options

Really good run this morning, faster than I had planned but felt comfortable so carried on.  Plan was a half marathon at 8:30 pace but ended up doing a half marathon at 8:16, doing it in 1:48:11 and carrying on until I hit 13.35miles in 1:50.  It beats my personal best for a half marathon by a good 4-5 minutes in training and beats my fastest official time of 1:59:27.  

Also tried using Lucazade Sport today, took a squirt every so often after I hit 7.5 miles and stomach felt a little cramped to begin with but soon settled down.  Also managed a nice 1.5 mile warm down run at the end of it all as well and I feel good, legs are sore but don't feel like I need to lay in bed for the rest of the day recovering and eating cheesecake.  I was also told that to calculate your full marathon time, you take your half marathon time, double it and then add 20 minutes, so 1:48:11 is ahead of that time and still got a long way to go in training still.

Next week...the dreaded 20-22 mile run, not looking forward to it at all but will stick to a 9:00-9:10 pace all the way through and see how I feel when I hit the 20 mile mark, if I still feel ok, i'll carry on until I hit 22 miles.  Also forgot to charge my watch last night so will make sure it's fully charged next Saturday.

• Options

Edinburgh marathon thread looking good! I signed up in a moment of madness last year - had done the half and was really pleased with my time and my finisher's technical top. Then I saw someone with a similar top with 26.2 on the back and thought "Ooh,I'd love one of those!". Just getting back into the swing of things after a very frustrating 4 months of injury. I'm doing Alloa half next month- yes, it's uphill for the last 3 miles or so but it's pretty much downhill or flat for the 10 miles before that! Not got any real expectations for marathon - never run that far in my life. But then I'd never run 10k until a couple of years ago. Who'd have thunk it???

• Options
    Hi all,

Many thanks to all for the advice. I think I'll aim for a 3:45 and see how is goes from there (first marathon at 46 years old - am I b***y stupid or what!) image

• Options

Russell, that's terrible! Though you are putting a brave face on it. Hope that it is sorted soon.

Simon, good trainingimage

Welcome, Ali. Hope your training goes well.

Gordon, the beauty of starting marathon running at your 'advanced' age is that when your peers are declining, you will still be improving your times.image

• Options

Russell, that's some serious stuff to deal with, glad everyone (and dog) is ok. training goes to the bottom of the priority list, hope you get the main practicalities sorted quickly.

Simon, excellent running, you must feel brilliant.  And I'll be so keen to hear the update from your 20-22 miler.  Really, do update us.  That was when I seriously started struggling the other week.

Hello  to all the newest post-ers too! (I kind of feel bad for not giving a shout out name by name to everyone in the group but it would be ridiculous and would make for very dull reading, i do genuinely enjoy every single update though).

16 week countdown is now on!  I'm still in official recovery period, so spent a jolly hour mapping out where to fit in the long training runs in amongst the Half race  and the 32km event in Mar.   It's EXACTLY the same as going out running image

Kathy H, you said it!

• Options

I will, don't worry Kathryn image, no matter how tough it is, I'm sure they'll be a moment at the end of February when I'm about to do a full marathon training run and think "I wish I was only running 22miles" Lol.

Got my British Heart Foundation welcome pack through this morning as well, got to sort out a BHF tshirt as well and a Just Giving page.

• Options

My fund raising page is all up and running image

https://www.justgiving.com/Simon-Peart

Will have to sort out a cool BHF running vest with my name on it, will definitely beat the 3 layers of clothing I'm running in now.

• Options

16 week countdown email from emf has given me a bit of a fright/boost/kick up the proverbial. Managed approx 10k yesterday and going to drag my lardy self off couch and head out shortly for 30 mins of hi-viz pavement pounding. Still having to follow guidelines laid down by physio but better than not running at all. Keeping a close eye on sunset/ sunrise times- daylight running will soon be an option through the week too. Hoorah!image keep up the good work folks!

• Options

Take each run as it comes Ali and get some good music to run too and you can lose yourself in.

What does everyone listen to when they're out running?

• Options

Ipod  in serious need of a refresh - quite a shameful selection including some of my daughter's stuff that found its way on ( Saturday's Megamix anyone???). Open to suggestions. 

Gordon, glad to see someone older me is daft enough to give this marathon lark a go ( and that year makes all the difference). 

So..Simon will be wearing his BHF vest. Did I miss the bit where everyone else agreed how they will recognise each other at the start? Is there a dress code ? Secret handshake? Or will we all wear a pink carnation and carry a copy of Runner's World under one arm? Just wondering ...

• Options

SP83 & AliBakkyBee3 - yep got my 16 week EMF reminder too, time does fly.  I listen to Running Beats that I downloaded from ITunes keeps me going.

Haven't done any running since Friday night so looking forward to session with Running Club tonight.

Didn't know we were plugging just giving pages!!! I'm running for Macmillans and my just giving page is http://www.justgiving.com/Colin-Lee2 image

• Options

ooops sorry AliBallyBee3

• Options

URGENT!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of anyone who has entered the 2014 Edinburgh marathon but can't run it ?!

I missed the cut off date for standard entries for a number of reasons and want to run this years marathon. 

Please can anyone who wants to sell their spot contact me via this thread please. 

Thanks.

Wayne.

• Options

Oooft, its too soon!!! First official run of the training plan is today. image Starting to get a bit worried really.

Ali - I guess we can post up numbers when they arrive so we know who to say hello to!

I have a cunning plan. I'm considering wearing a tortoise outfit so that people will think it's on purpose that I'm crawling across the finish line!!

• Options

9 mile trail run on Sunday (mud again!) then 8 on the roads today. Glad all is going well. Am thinking about the Freckleton Half  as a "tester"

Sorry Wayne, don't know any drop outs.

1st proper long one next weekend off the "schedule"......it must be obeyed !!

• Options

Hi everyone, Edinburgh will be my first full marathon and I am aiming for a sub 3:50 finish time.  I started my 16 week training plan on Monday and I am already feeling nervous, excited and a little bit nauseous image

• Options

Well done to all

For me, yesterday was running club night, ran 7.6miles in 1hr 2mins 50secs so was @8.18 pace.  I had 2 PR in there too, PR on 2 miles in 15.26 and 10k in 50.07.

Today was a 1m warm up, 4x1m@9mins, 1m cool down.  I just timed the 4 miles and did 4.6miles in 36.08@7.54 pace according to my Strava app and set a PR 5k 23.07.

Calf niggling abit so may rest tomorrow and run Friday instead.  Weekend runs ar 3 miles Sat and then anything from 10-13 on Sunday.

• Options

All these stats and details of everyone's training programmes v impressive. And just a little intimidating. I'm worried about my feet. Not in possession of the daintiest of trotters at the best of times, I seem prone to blisters and have had some fairly spectacular ones after only 10k/ half marathons. To date, I have  tried: anti blister socks, compeed type patches; special rubs and Vaseline ( the most successful, but it's all relative). I've had my gait analysed and spend a small fortune on well fitting shoes ( I have wide feet) but based on previous experience my husband reckons I will be crossing the finish line on a pair of bleeding stumps!image Any advice /top tips from you more experienced types would be appreciated ..

• Options
    UluruUluru ✭✭✭

I'm with you AliBallyBee 3 about feet issues. I don't suffer from blisters but when I do my LSR on road they are quite sore the next day, especially on the ball of my foot.... and I'm only doing 12 miles at the moment.

on my LSR on Sunday I saw a fellow runner with an EMF Edinburgh Marathon t-shirt on. Definitely made me keep going image

• Options

Ball of left foot for me. Heavier on that side? One leg longer than t'other? Dunno. But I agree that t shirt envy is a great motivator!

• Options

I used to get problems with the bottom of my feet but my feet did get used to it and now, apart from a little soreness, I'm blister free.  It did get to one point last year though where my main pad behind my big toes were black...