Options

Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I was feeling fine before I dropped in here, now I'm sat at my desk with my stomach churning with nerves!!

Sorry to hear that AliBallybee is dropping out, that's a real shame. Well done Nurse for getting back in the game - you don't need to win, just go and enjoy the agony!!

So now I have two pairs of Brooks Ravennas, one cheapo pair that are two versions old, and one brand new pair that of course came on to ebay the second I paid for the older version! I have spent SO much money on kit, I should look fantastic come race-day but actually my vest is too big and doesn't go with my running skirt, might have to have a re-think, can't go looking like a state with the amount I've spent!! image

• Options

Heroine: hehe image don't start looking at Salomon Skorts... eyewateringly (new word?) expensive.

• Options

Since when are we supposed to look presentable at this? That's me done for!

• Options

Eggy - I like to try and get one reasonable 'before' pic and then ban all in-race and après-race pics!!

MacPerky - will you just be running at Loch Ness or will we have to stop you diving in to the loch for a couple of pre-race laps!?

Booktrunk - I've looked image!! I wouldn't be tempted though, they are too butch for me, I like little frills like the Lululemon skirts, all the short-wearing that running involves makes me occasionally want to remind people that I am actually a girl!!

• Options

It looks great.... I have a few to many pink wobbly bits that wouldn't look pretty image

The more I run the more i'm running in full length leggings image

• Options
    I'm so glad I have no idea of colour coordination
  • Options

feeling very unprepared and now im also worrying about what im going to wear! image

• Options

Shorts, t-shirt, socks(compression), trainers, sunnies, race number and your good to go! wore tights last year and ended up too hot! image

• Options

Thanks image Def shorts for me, and prob a vest. But after reading these posts worrying about not matching!

Should go back to worrying about how long it will take me .....

• Options

You should definitely worry about not matching gk_mc, this is serious business not just a little saunter around the park! image

• Options

I'm seriously thinking I've so overreached myself, I reckon 5.5 hours might be good! Andi might get a cold waiting around for me to finish to pick up his prize image 

• Options

Whee! Had a club run last night where I was talking to someone about how Loch Ness was NEXT WEEK. Erk. Am simultaneously excited and scared. My running buddy and I had an off-piste run (instead of an efforts session with the club) where we ran 5miles at marathon pace i.e. 9min/mil. Felt brilliant. Not sure I can keep up that pace for another 21.2, but we'll see how taper rest/race adrenaline/carb loading helps out. 

Oh, my number is 1049.

RunningRodent, Mr KS is doing the 10k. I love that when he signed up for it, it was a long run. Now, in the midst of half marathon training, it's a cutback week!

I'm getting on the bus in Inverness. AbiMac, I'm a bit worried about the queueing and the peeing and the travel sicknessing now.... Will we all get on? I hope the start isn't dleayed by an hour, we've got a plane to catch at 6pm that night. Eep. 

How's everyone else going? Packing list written yet? We're off glamping this weekend for our first wedding anniversary so we wrote that list yesterday. Woo. Lots of cosy blankets and brioche. Last long run on Sunday of 9miles. Then rest!

• Options

Oh, and my go to song to sing when I'm going too fast is the Cold War Kids' "Tell Me in the Morning", which has the lyric "Slow it down, slow it do-own". Always helpful!

Last night's run was soundtracked by me singing 'Copacabana'. In the style of when Rachel from Friends sings it. Funny what pops up in your head, isn't it?

• Options

I think my body has hit the wall already. Last few days I feel really tired and my legs ache all the time. Feel worse than I did during the high mileage weeks. Skipped last nights run didn't help any. 

Anyone want to push me in a bed around Loch Ness? 

• Options

ha!  I too have been aching and twitchy and worried about pains in my knee and adductor muscle, so I went for a quick 3 miler yesterday and today and it felt fine.  My only chance is that I'm too stupid and bloody minded to give in and I stagger over the finish line one way or another.

Although my family isn't being very sympathetic...when I told them it'd be 3pm before I finish they wanted to know what they were supposed to do for all that time! 

• Options

Hmmmmmm…………….wardrobe.  Yellow and black. Will be easy for the search and rescue team to find in the dark.

I've succumbed to a dose of whichever random lurgy the weans have had this week. Nothing major, just feeling really wabbit (a wee bit of language practise for those of you of a southern persuasion image).  Still, better to get it out of the way now than in a week's time.
    I am so looking forward to the next 10 days of winding down (not that I've done much to wind down from!).  I'm on holiday now until after LN, so lots of early nights, good food and a wee bit of jogging in between.

Bring it on.

• Options

Eat a load of food at the food fayre image I told my oh to stuff himself and the dog.

I did suggest we actually set off at Midnight on Saturday and we alternate driving and sleeping then just drop me off we race then drive straight home.... he told me to f**k off!! So I'm still hunting for a camp site image

• Options

booktrunk - might be worth having a look at city council reg's and seeing if you can pitch a tent on a bit of the park that isn't official campsite.
    Or you could ignore local bylaws and do a bit of late-night stealth pitching.

• Options

In our local paper recently there was a homeless guy living in a tent under a bridge at the side of the canal. Took the council months before they moved him on.
    If I was tenting I'd be tempted to pitch up right at the start line on Saturday then have my OH move it to the finish line for Sunday night.

My wife has also moaned about what she's meant to do in the morning waiting for me! My response was do what you'd do if I was there. Don't see how my presence would make much difference I'm usually just doing what she tells me anyway. Other than that I said she should take a camera and loads of photos of people at the finish line, she could sell for a fraction the cost of official photos.  
    She's currently contemplating getting the bus to the shores of LN. 

• Options

Andy tempted by that idea register n spend Saturday evening chilling then drive to and camp at the start no messing around with buses Sunday morning. 

• Options

Booktrunk - you would be very well equipped with portaloos overnight. Are you still planning to run 50m this weekend?

Andi - has your wife looked at some of the boat tours available? Here's a link

http://www.inverness-dolphin-trips.co.uk/indexa.html

Mr Benign has got some fabulous walking planned near our B&B. He doesn't seem to understand his role as my cheerleader and supported at all!

• Options

bm: hehe yup still planning my last LSR this Sunday image

Mr(ish)BT is the same he won't even carry pompoms!!

• Options

Booktrunk and Benign - at least your other half is going with you, I have roped my 73 year old mum to be my roadie for the weekend. She is great and always has a tear when I finish, I think she is just glad that I actually finish! I will give her everyone's numbers and she will cheer everyone as they cross the finish line, she has been known to be very loud.

• Options
    booktrunk wrote (see)

I'm seriously thinking I've so overreached myself, I reckon 5.5 hours might be good! Andi might get a cold waiting around for me to finish to pick up his prize image 

Wo(man) up BT!  As my school reports used to say, doesn't really try and can do much better image

benignmurmurring wrote (see)

....Andi - has your wife looked at some of the boat tours available? Here's a link

Benign, no but then again, I'm not married or maybe you meant AndyR image 

All this talk of what to wear! I know what shoes I'm wearing and that's about it thus far! Snapped an arm on my prescription sunglasses the other day so might be running blind!!

On the subject of OH's mine will most likely be getting dragged around by a 4 month old Rough Collie that answers to the name Skye (the dog not the OH of course).

• Options

If your dawgie meets a big fat chocolate Labrador that will probably be soaking wet then that's my dawgie, oh and probably being dragged along by my OH.

Regarding the fighting talk, good point. But hey even if i'm last over the line, anyone fancy a lap of honour? image

• Options
    Just a word of encouragement to those with strains and aches. I had the very worst run possible on Sunday at the start of my taper and had to cut it short. Felt horrible and LN seemed a terrible prospect. Went out tonight and did a PB on both my 5km and 10km by some distance!

Never thought I'd ever be able to run that fast ever, even less so off the back of Sunday. Confidence is up again and looking forward to a week Sunday even though my achillies feels sore still.

Keep on running!
  • Options
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Regarding the fighting talk, good point. But hey even if i'm last over the line, anyone fancy a lap of honour? image

Er, excuse me booktrunk!  I am the slowest on this forum! If you want to come last  you'll have to beat me to the honour...image

• Options

"It's the final countdown" (bet you humming the tune now!)

T minus 10 days and counting

• Options

10 days, how did that happen? I am sure it is still August. 

BT - lap of honour, I think I will be lucky to finish.

Pete - don't worry, I think I will be behind you by some distance. I planned to run it all but lately think it will be a run/walk now.