Options

Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Anyone following this taper?

http://www.runnersworld.com/marathon-training-plans/how-to-taper-for-your-next-marathon-or-half-marathon

I'm not following this, but its interesting. Interval pace 9m/mles if you plan a 4.22m mara? Sounds weirdly slow.

• Options

I agree BM, the intervals on that taper plan seem very slow. I did intervals last night and based on the speed I did them at and that chart, I should be looking at around a 3:15 marathon! 

Hoping with the talk of taper speed I can break the 21 min parkrun this weekend. Not that I'm putting any pressure on myself by telling anyone. 

• Options

Munter - It's funny how running can be like that isn't it, I think we've all had one or two absolutely shocking runs recently, partly because we are all absolutely knackered!!

I went for a very hilly 11.2 miles this morning, the last time I did that route was in June (well it was bang on 11 miles in June as I nipped down a side-alley!) and it very nearly killed me. This morning I took it at a decent but not deadly pace and I was very happy to see that I've improved by 20 mins which also included messing about picking up the dog every time a car went past (back roads, fantastic scenery and very rarely see any cars). It felt lovely, my legs are already showing signs of the taper working, I felt so fresh! Now all I need is for my heel, back and hip pain to not get any worse as although all of them are hurting a tiny bit they are more than manageable.

I also did a very silly thing last night and got sucked in to taking someone's Abingdon marathon spot, so i'll now be doing that 3 weeks after LN, and then there will only be a week until Venice. God, I don't know WHY I did that!!! image

• Options

HIAHS - because you love it and you're flying right now. You may need to pick a goal race out of the two, but I reckon you have what's needed all coming together at the moment image

• Options

Okay, so earlier in the week it looked like hubby and I were pulling out due to lack of proper training and general logistical/ childcare hassle. Too may feeble excuses when we really need to man up! Himself did a 10k race Sunday ( decent time, but he wasn't happy) and managed a horrific long-ish run Tuesday evening (his first/last 15m +), I did 14m on Sunday ( went fine), club training Tues and now it looks as though we're back in! Maybe it was Nurse Ratched swung it - better to be in and have the satisfation of finishing, whatever the time.  Seems to be a lot of competition on here for last place- happy to throw my hat into the ring!

And I won't be worrying about whether my outfit is colour co-ordinated, comfort all the way for me..

• Options

AliBallyBee 3 - great news! Its definitely the taking part that counts image

Right now it looks like the wind is may blow hard in the right direction. WooHoo!

• Options

great news on the wind! great news Ali and Hubster! it is about finishing! doesn't matter about how long it takes you!

got roped into 25 x 200m tonight! got sucked into the pace with the faster ones! doing between 35-37secs was awfully sore! did have a few outliers, one at 32 and one at 39, first was 32 and there was one where i was stuck behind a few guys! soooooo drained though.

well will try a run on fridat or sat of around 12 at MP and see where I stand....

not long to go now!

• Options

Cheers.Hopefully just a bit of a nervy "wobble" from us both. Himself did it last year ( his one and only marathon to date) and may be feeling the pressure of improving on his time ( a respectable 3 and a half hours) but I'm feeling the pressure of being the slow one who holds up the journey home with a less impressive finish time!

Bring on the tail wind ...

• Options

Exciting image not to long to go before I get my bottle of whisky from Ecce image 

• Options

you'll be fine Ali just enjoy the atmosphere and the time will fly as will the miles!

Whiskey? has to be a single malt! image

• Options

T-9

Now were getting closer, I'm finding it easier to get out the door but I seem to find running harder. Maybe my head think all the hard work is done, yet my body is saying we still need more. 

Can't to see you all, even though I'll won't who you are!

• Options

No passport required!

• Options

OK.... so identification... It needs to be light, but not stupid. Hummmmmmmmmmm

Kinesio tape strip on your lower right arm ? we are marathon runners must have some kinesio tape or some other tape we can put on ourselves.

• Options

Could we not just meet up at the start somewhere? There must be something strategically placed there like a tent or bag drop or something?

I will be wearing a light blue vest that say's 'it's gonna get Nessie' on the back, I think Benign, Scott the Walker, Eggy, MacPerky and KeyserSuze will also be wearing them, so we should be easy to spot!

• Options
    AliBallyBee 3 wrote (see)

Okay, so earlier in the week it looked like hubby and I were pulling out due to lack of proper training and general logistical/ childcare hassle. Too may feeble excuses when we really need to man up! Himself did a 10k race Sunday ( decent time, but he wasn't happy) and managed a horrific long-ish run Tuesday evening (his first/last 15m +), I did 14m on Sunday ( went fine), club training Tues and now it looks as though we're back in! Maybe it was Nurse Ratched swung it - better to be in and have the satisfation of finishing, whatever the time.  Seems to be a lot of competition on here for last place- happy to throw my hat into the ring!

And I won't be worrying about whether my outfit is colour co-ordinated, comfort all the way for me..

OI! Don't blame me! image

• Options

Sounds like HIAHS, Benign, Scott the Walker, Eggy, MacPerky and KeyserSuze have all started their own run club.... 

Whos bringing the stick on name tags so we know who's who? I'm rubbish at names, and faces... 

• Options

Andy for better or worse we are already members of the same clan yes, a by-product of running multiple marathons image

• Options

I'll be wearing mine, worn it on a couple of runs and it's lovely and soft. Will we have any flags?

I'm thinking a pre race meet up would be good, maybe a photo before the start?

We could have a password or leading question with a response? Maybe "Flash" followed by "Bang"?!

• Options

For those of you who haven't met me I'm easy to spot. I'm the tall, handsome chap with rugged good looks who'll be surrounded by the ladies*.

* The above statement is absolute bollocks apart from the tall bit!

• Options

i look like the photo on the left! lol

tall, with a cup permanently sticking out my mouthimage

• Options

And I've always got my thumbs up!

I'll be in a blue running top with white sides and my name on the front.I like the idea of a team photo. We could all meet up in the toilet queue. After all that's where we'll be spending most of our time! (Joke I hope)

• Options

well, I think you just need to look for the 3 pirates....it's not like anyone else would be silly enough to wear black and yellow.

/members/images/685592/gallery/pirate.jpg

• Options
    My blue top is very nice , it makes people stop and stare at me
  • Options

I have a big trunk image although some people say they cannot see it image 

• Options
    Lol, I'll be wearing a grey cap with wee white polkadots and an Alzheimer's scotland vest. I'm going to try and get stuck on letters to put my name on the back.
  • Options

Now you lot have me going..... Might get a t-shirt printed with my elephant and @booktrunk on it, hehe Decathlon seem to do it reasonably cheaply. ... Taper madness is taking over image

/members/images/712846/Gallery/T-Shirt-Back-small.jpg

• Options

Looks good Booktrunk, go for it. I will look for the pirates, Alzheimer's and Union Jack elephant. 

I now have a mix of getting really excited and also terrified at the prospect of having to run 26.2 miles BUT woo hoo, let's all go for it.

• Options

You guys are making me jealous!

Looks like I am going to have to pull out, everthing was going fine until 4 weeks ago picked up an injury in my groin, went to get treatment- cost me around £200- felt as if I was getting back after 2 weeks, done a few runs a little niggle,  now I feel like shit no energy all bunged up with a cracker of a sore head- went to Doctors- on anti biotics, he advised me not to run!

Only consolation is I was running the Glasgow half marathon the week later, hopefully I can manage this! Not happy with my number for this either 9779, I ran this last year from the first group running 1.45, now they have put me in the last group??

I know I will run this faster than 1.45 this year!

Still not happy I am going to miss Loch Ness, so looking forward to it running for meningitis & Leukemia & Lymphoma.

Best of luck everyoneimage

• Options
    Scott the Walker wrote (see)
    My blue top is very nice , it makes people stop and stare at me

Sweetheart they aren't staring at your fantastic top, they are staring at your hair, you KNOW this!! image

RBTC67 - sorry to hear that you're not well, what a shame to have to pull out but marathons and existing illnesses don't mix and it is always best to err on the side of caution, there'll always be another race. image

• Options

Booktrunk - if could take the hit on the type of animal you have on your vest you could get this - it's quite close to an elephant after all!!

/members/images/816806/Gallery/IMG_4643.jpg