Options

Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Ehh hemm! A little announcement to make over here!

Don't know if any of you know but WE'VE GOT A MARATHON THIS WEEK!!!

/members/images/816806/Gallery/marathon.jpg

• Options

It is time to make lists! Time to eat and drink (no booze) and time to sleep loads. So long as I don't worry about speed I'm feeling good about this, with a few background nerves. Weather continues to look good.

In the fight between the chimp on my back and the tapir, the tapir is winning image

Stay sane and healthy everyone!

• Options

Like that HIAHS, Triumph of will over reason. Or possibly 'triumph of insanity over reason' there is no reason that a sane person would run a marathon.  

Sleep seems to be an issue at the moment, I'm so tired, feel like I'm starting to come down with another cold!! Not good timing for this. I'm thinking of seeing if I can start sneaking in afternoon naps under my desk. 

I have started a metal list, need to start writing it down though or I'm bound to forget something.

Still not sure I'm ready for this, but hey-ho flights are paid for so might as well turn up.  

• Options

This metal list of yours Andy, will you be engraving it, does it make it harder to forget!? image

• Options

lol, just a big chunk of metal I carry around at the moment, it's a bit like an extreme version of trying a knot in something to remind you. I'm a bit worried the weight of it will take up my luggage allowance on the plane though so will have to change it to a move conventional list at some point.  

• Options

List...

t-shirt, trainers, gel, vaseline if you need it, running bra (probably for only half of us), oh and some good old fashioned gumption image

Says I, when I'm sat at my office desk and it takes me a couple of minutes to actually stand up... my thighs are a tad achy today.

• Options

I wouldn't be in work after a 50 mile run, I'd be on bed-rest because I'd be so stiff that I wouldn't be able to get out of it!!

• Options

I might grind to a halt on Sunday and end up just treating it as a nice walk image

• Options

Yep it's not walking just very slow jogging. 

Can't believe you're at work the day after 50 miles, I've booked 2 days off to recover a little from the short 26.2 we're doing on Sunday.  

• Options

To be fair 1 of those days is taken up sitting on a plane/ in a car, and I hate Tuesdays at work so is more of an excuse really image 

• Options

I have found that it would be better for me to take the week off before the marathon because I get absolutely nothing done at all, my heart just isn't in it!

• Options

Good to see everybody being so positive about Sundayimage

Good news and not so good news. Good news is we have sorted the breakfast issue, not so good news is the Guest House we had booked don't allow doglets in the room (cats are fine) so had to rebook into a swanky Hotel.

Upshot is there is a cancellation fee on the guest house so if anybody is still in need of a room walkable to the start then let me know - dbl room en suite £75/night.

Good to see you back at work Steph! Oh, and a 50mile pb of 7 minutes isn't to be sniffed at image

• Options

Must be very swanky hotel Ecce, if they allow doglets and still have space left, must be the sort of place that us normal folk can't afford and that are used to those celeb types with their handbag dogs! 

I think the week off before the marathon might have been a good idea, I'm procrastinating at work and have so much to do. 

• Options

Well, I say swanky - depends what your used to I guess image Tis the Inverness Palace Hotel and Spa - sounds swanky to me image

• Options

ecce - a palace and spa ?? that sounds mighty fancy

• Options

in other news ive moved out my house for the final week of taper,,  i shall be staying happily in denial till the race , its a big place ,, anybody else want to join me  

• Options

lol Scott - I've been in denial for years image

Looks like I'm fully recovered now and peaking! For the first time ever I managed 5k in 29:47 with an average heart rate of 69.68% of MAX! First time I've been close to 70% so mighty chuffed.

Now there is the small matter of a sub 60 minute 10k with sub 70%AHR . Am hoping the cooler months will be kind to this ageing HADDer 

Oh, of course this has no bearing on my ability to complete 26.2 miles at any AHR in under 4:29:59 image

• Options

WTF everyone: Ultramarathons, Spas and % Heart rates! Sounds like I'm doing a different event on Sunday. Is anyone else doing the Loch Ness marathon?

• Options

Sounds nice Ecce must say I was a little disappointed the other day when I checked out the hotel my wife booked didn't have a spa, thought a nice relaxing massage Saturday evening would have been great.

Sounds like a good run as well, to hit a goal like that just a few days before the big one must leave you feeling positive.

• Options

Alastair, don't include me in that ultra madness stuff, as for the rest - guilty as charged image

Txs Andy, it's on Ness walk as well - the finishing straight so, if it's raining the OH can photograph me just before the finish. The run was a nice bit of icing on my poor marathon training so hoping the low HR will help me along come Sunday.

• Options

well I'm certainly not in a Spa! I'm in a room with a shared bathroom! nice! lol

11 miles yesterday at 7:32mm trying to find my MP and failed. too fast! picked up a few fore niggles in the process to add to the cold I've got! not good!

Never mind I'm sure I can drag myself round!!

are you gonna run round with the pooch? not sure your allowed that but I think it's great fun for others round about you! Always cheers me up running along with a dog! although not a handbag dog! might be a wee bitty slow image??

• Options

what's allthi s talk of doglet being a handbag dog? tis a 4 month old Sable rough collie and even now would need a large handbag image Not running with him - he's too fast!

Rich, running faster than pMP is good right now as imho it will make it feel so much easier on Sunday (for the first 18 miles!). Fingers crossed your niggles clear up this week!

• Options
    Well... I can move today, that's an improvement. Back is stiff image never had that before, hope it goes soon!
  • Options

Alastair - thank Nessie you're a voice of reason around here! My only intention is to start and finish without any limbs dropping off or death occurring en route.

I have this week off work and am thoroughly enjoying doing feck all.  Unfortunately, my brain thinks that holidays=alcohol, so there is a bit of a mental battle going on.

• Options

Collies are the best training partners... not sure mine would like the race though, she's more about the trails than the roads.

Super excited for the weekend as I'm writing this from Inverness (not arrived super early, just a happy work coincidence!

• Options

ooh, are they building the fayre and finish stuff?

• Options

I had an e-mail earlier listing the food village stuff. I've decided I'm having an entire roasted hog in a roll when I finish. image