Options

Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

Comments

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

TheDan - thanks for updating the table and including me in it. Feel a bit bad strolling in here and taking the gold spots for 5k and 10k straightaway though, especially as they are based on old(ish) times which I couldn't get close to at the moment. So I'll leave it to you/the thread to decide if you want to blank those times out and wait until I put in a racetime again before adding a time back in for me.

Got a bad back this week, so no running since Sunday. Hoping it will be something which doesn't hang around for too long .....

Am going to join my local running club and was due to get down there tomorrow night for my first session with them, but due to the injury this may have to wait a week.

Rich - great intervals - would expect to see you knock quite a bit off your 5k time next time out based on that!

• Options

My plan with the club runs is to treat it as an easy run. So on my plan swap the easy run to Tuesday (Club night) and do the corresponding session when I was meant to do the easy run. Simples image

Our club does do a friday track night, but the word "coaching" is used very loosely! We are defintiely a more social road running cub then a serious AC, and I like it that way I think.

Good luck with the P&D Nicole.

• Options

Fortunately I have avoided the 'blister blight' since switching to New Balance.Never had a mark on my feet in all the marathon training nor following the race. Mind you I dont wear socks and plaster my feet with vaseline before long runs.

Also ramping up the mileage now. Did a 13 on Sunday and a 10 yesterday. Looking to get well over 40 this week. Only one race planned (a hilly 10 mile in early September) before Valencia. Nicole, I notice on the website they have had record entry levels so far (7000), with over 2000 non-spanish (mostly French, British and Italian).

• Options

I've never had a blister since using Karrimor socks. They are only a few quid for a couple of pairs and I stock up regularly just in case they decide to stop making them (And because I end up with odds!!)

Tasty hill repeats for me last night. Very tough in the conditions. Quite pleased with the speed and consistency of the reps though. Quarter miles @ 8m/m on a 10% gradient.

Unfortunately the run TO the hill was downhill all the way... Which meant the run home after the reps was uphill all the way!

Surprise intervals session tonight. I never know what session the group does on a thursday until the chap taking it tells us but I suspect 12 x 400s as we haven't done it for a while. Last short distance speedwork for a few months and I have to say I'll be glad when its over and I can go back to endurance!!

• Options

Bob - Going to give the vas a go thanks.

Andrew - that 5k time is history next time out - I think/hope I've got a 23:30ish in me sometime this month!

Matty - Hill repeats... sounds more like hell repeats! 

Nicole - good luck with the marathon training - and more importantly that shopping trip - although I'm sure the former will have a bigger impact on your timesimage

I'm feeling exhausted today and I only did a 3 mile easy last night to try and get some blood to my sore legs after tuesdays intervals.

2 x 3 miles tempo tonight if I make it out, then 3 days camping/surfing in Cornwall (planned long run along the coastal path Sunday although this may be aborted due to saturday evening excesses!)

Have a great weekend all!

• Options

By the way Dan, Now AndrewD has added his times I'm going to be a pain in the ass and ask you to add me in now image

5k: 21:59
    10k: 46:14
    HM: 1:48:35
    M: 3:59:12

• Options

Poor over worked Dan... oh, and he's lost all his bronzes too. Harsh Matty, very harsh image

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Rich - I'd have said closer to 22.30 (or less) is possible if you can get close to stringing those intervals together in a race scenario! When do you next have a parkrun/other 5k planned?

Matt - perusing the parkrun newsletter this week, did I see your name mentioned in dispatches or is it another Matt Warr who organises Yeovil parkrun? If it is you, then kudos to you image

• Options

i went out last night and managed a 6 mile run with 3 mile @7:40, nearly killed me though...

I find I struggle to keep going when it starts getting hard, do others have the same issue ?

• Options

Yes! I'm frightened of 'blowing up'. Probably why I prefer the Marathon, happy to plod away for mile after mile and it's a different pain that I can handle.

• Options
    AndrewD wrote (see)

Matt - perusing the parkrun newsletter this week, did I see your name mentioned in dispatches or is it another Matt Warr who organises Yeovil parkrun? If it is you, then kudos to you image

Ah yes, thats me alright image In the photo I'm the one in the Yeovil Town FC top (We had a football special for the world cup)

We're doing a tour de france special this week - where a yellow jersey. I'm going one better and wearing a helmet to top it off!

PTD - Absolutely! I find thats when I get the most benefit though!

Intervals last night for me. I was a bit out of sorts as I was convinced we were doing 400s so I'd geared up for them only to discover it was 8 x 600s!

Splits:

Average 2.32 (6.47m/m) which is right at the slow end of the zone I should be hitting, but after the tough hill repeats on wednesday I was happy.

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

because of the obvious theft of all my bronzes, i'll update the table once some official time come in ( granted this will last until  sunday week when i run leeds 10, but i can only shake my fist for so long 

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9i4abLVeD1qc073co1_400.gif

Shake harder boy!

• Options

Ha ha, nice GIF image

Good weekend running for me. I turned up at parkrun ready to either a) volunteer, or b) Pace the missus around. I ended up taking option c) being bullied into a crack at a personal PB for the course.

It was tour de france week so we encouraged people to bring yellow jerseys and cycle helmets. Unfortunately I was the only one in a helmet!

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10449898_10154346387035634_8279822721988249534_n.jpg

Set me a wonderful new 25 second course best in spite of the helmet! Reckon I could have had another 5 seconds without it!! Then my friend Neil (In yellow on the right) took this photo and photoshopped these little beauties!

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10361525_10152125115466433_188945237248875341_n.jpg

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10428250_10152125107056433_1398725311944194220_o.jpg

Rich - you should head over to our course some time, its a cracking little course, very challenging off roader and loads of fun!

I followed this up with a 10 mile LSR and was bang on target pace, averaging 9:15m/m.

Most pleasing indeed!

How did everyone get on? 

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Half marathon yesterday. 2:08. Ouch! My lower abs have been broken for a while and don't seem to be healing. I think it's time for an enforced rest for a few weeks.
  • Options

10 miles @ 8:53 - 41miles for the week building up nicely and thankfully staying injury free. Considering Worcester 10k 20/7/2014 but it's 3 laps and I can't stand that, even though its flat.

• Options

Terrible weekend running wise for me - skipped my Thursday run planning on doing it Friday but what with packing for camping never got round to it. Saturday spent surfing in Newquay and managed to pull a muscle in my back and get pretty sunburned so Sundays long run skipped too. Feeling ok ish now thankfully.

Looking forward to getting back into it this evening, can't decide between thursdays missed 2 x 3 miles tempo, or 11 miles to make up for sunday.

Planning on Park Run Pb attempt this week too before getting stuck into HM training.

• Options

Matty - which park run is that then? My local is Taunton which is nice and flat but is getting pretty popular and the start is pretty congested (I think I lost about 20-30 seconds the week I ran) - great Tour photoshop stuff there!

Bob - nice mileage for the week - was that 10 mile your LSD? - I did my last 10 miler @ 9:12 and was concerned I'd maybe run a bit fast for a "slow" run but maybe it was about right.

• Options

Rich - Yeah I've done Longrun meadow before. its a good flat run. Yeovil Montacute is ours - its very close to the A303. We get about 150 runners, and the start is congested too but its much much wider over the first 500 yards. Its nowhere near flat though and is very challenging!

• Options

Was pacer week for me at parkrun so no speedy time but best thing was finishing without any knee pain.

Sadly the monster midges were also out so it looks like ive got a leg full of golfballs from the pesky little buggers.

First 10k race on a while tomorrow and at this point anything under an hour will feel like a major achievement.

• Options

Longrun is getting nearly 300 now, narrow start and then a bottleneck over a narrow bridge - I think they may have to rethink the start soon. Might have to plan some parkrun tourism over your way, looks like a cracking course.

• Options

Just the usual training over the weekend for me. Ran Canon Hill parkrun with the kids on Saturday then 12 miles on Sunday. This morning was 8 miles with 4 at tempo pace (supposed to be 7:55ish but came out a bit quicker at 7:50!). I've entered a 10k in August when I hope to get close to 48:30. Also planning to race our local parkrun just after my birthday at the end of July and hope being a year older will help me increase my age grading!image

• Options

Hi Rich, sounds like you had a fun weekend! Yes that was a LSR but remember I'm training for a marathon so 10-12 miles I run at marathon race pace. 

• Options
    Hi all! Great weekend's running everyone. Love the pics, Matty!

My week's been very interesting, first week doing the new P & D marathon training. It's been quite tough sticking to the heart rate zones which are prescribed. I can see now that my previous way has been to go out and run everything pretty hard! Going at a slower pace is actually quite tricky and I've had to be very disciplined. Apparently all this should pay dividends for the marathon and raise my lactic threshold.

Today I had 8 miles run at a slowish pace but then at the end had to do 10 x 100 metre sprints, with 200m jog recovery in between each. Well, they were called 'strides' but the way the book described them it was clear they were actually sprints, when I've done strides in the past I've just kicked up a couple of gears, not going full belt. Anyway that was challenging! Looking forward to my long run next weekend which is a faster one, 13 miles at marathon pace, with 8 miles marathon race pace!

33 miles last week, up to 36 this, then zipping up to a new first for me, running x 5 a week.

Quick trip up to Sweatshop earlier and have come back with some new Nikes, never tried this brand before so am hoping it will suit me for the long runs. Am a bit fed up of constant blisters, black toenails and bruised toes since VLM!
  • Options
    Oh, and was amused to see my Garmin registered my fastest pace during the run as 4m55s, guess that was during one of the sprints. Nice to think I could keep up with Paula Radcliffe for a few seconds! It's just unreal the pace the top marathoners can holdimage
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Nicole, black toenails generally mean that yous shoes are a little too small in the toe box, I'd try moving up half a size, its worked for me, no black ones for over a year now

day 1 of my new training plan today, 60 minutes with 20 min of steady 5 min km's in the middle, came out at about 11k in total,

• Options
    Thanks Dan, that's what I thought but going up made no difference in my Mizunos- mile of room at the end but my toes too close to top of the shoe. Unfortunate as I loved them otherwise! image Good luck with the new plan!
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

oh and i forgot my random animal count, 3 rabbits, 1 squirrel, quite a low count compared to normal

• Options

could you do a chart for animal spotting, TheDan?

• Options

Nicole, I think that 13 mile long run should be 8 miles at your LR pace then 5 miles at your planned MP. I haven't got the book in front of me but I know it definitely shouldn't be as you described - it would be far too hard! Your MP should be the same as the pace you plan to race the marathon. They aren't two different paces. The aim of this type of long run is to get your legs used to running at MP when already tired without totally wiping you out. You should pop over to the P&D Autumn Marathon training thread (don't know how to do the link thing!image). There are alot of friendly, experienced people on there as well as people using P&D for the first time.