Options

Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

Comments

• Options

In which case Dan can you add my 5k as 23.23 and Marathon as 5.22.18.  Promise I wont do anything silly like beat any pb's in the next few weeks image

• Options

Matty, I saw your before and after pictures on the Paris thread. Very impressive! My nephew has lost about 3 stone in the last 6 months and has gone from a 30+minute park run to sub 20!

I'd like to think I could go under 20 minutes but like you it's more of a long term goal - probably 18 months away at least. My OH doesn't think I can do it but that just makes me more determined! And I shall remain hopeful as long as I keep making reductions however small they may be.image

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    https://revdanmcmahon.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/timeytimes.jpg

updated table is here!

*NB I've been asked to say that I am not the originator of the "putting times in a table and assigning them colours" idea, it was in fact borrowed from the "overdone it" thread here, please dont beat me up now lit...

*Edit* damnit! they're still shrinking my picture, grrrrr!

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    /members/images/771922/Gallery/timetimes_2.png

lets see if this is better

*edit* aha! the power of switching axis!

• Options
    Good work on the table Dan! image

acp - yes it is the P & D one, still need to read the book properly but understand it comes very highly recommended. Just hope I'm not being too ambitious - but I won't be afraid to make tweaks if it feels too much! Funnily I felt very tired when I started doing VLM marathon training, and found taking an iron supp really helped (although not actually tested for anaemia). I don't eat meat so it is quite tricky to get adequate iron just through diet ...

Bob- yes I like that idea, we will have to formulate a plan! The Kenyan team have the right idea, not that I'm putting us in that category haha image
  • Options

Great work on the table Dan- and a nice bit of reverse engineering seems to have got around your imminent run in with the copyright lawyers!image

• Options
    acp wrote (see)

Matty, I saw your before and after pictures on the Paris thread. Very impressive! My nephew has lost about 3 stone in the last 6 months and has gone from a 30+minute park run to sub 20!

I'd like to think I could go under 20 minutes but like you it's more of a long term goal - probably 18 months away at least. My OH doesn't think I can do it but that just makes me more determined! And I shall remain hopeful as long as I keep making reductions however small they may be.image

There is hope for us yet! There is nothing like wanting to prove the OH wrong as a motivational factor image

Dan - you could always do the document in Google Docs and then invite threaders to it, then they can maintain their own times and not annoy you all the time image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    TheDan wrote (see)
    https://revdanmcmahon.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/timeytimes.jpg

*..... the "putting times in a table and assigning them colours" idea ...

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Matty it shouldnt be too much trouble now that i've filled the table (and remembered to save it) unless someones planning to PB their parkrun each week it shouldnt be too much work now

• Options

Just entered Bristol Half - guaranteed a PB as long as I finish!image

• Options

Well done Rich! Say hi if you see me, I'll be wearing a green and white Yeovil club vest with Matty written on the front!

6 x 800m intervals last night with 2 min recoveries. Man they hurt. 

3:09 (6.20m/m)
    3:15 (6:32m/m)
    3:17 (6:35m/m)
    3:19 (6:40m/m)
    3:24 (6:50m/m)
    3:22 (6:46m/m)

My 800m intervals are supposed to be between 6:34m/m and 6:54m/m and was targetting 6:45m/m on my Garmin, but with tree cover it got a bit difficult. 

On feel, the last 4 were definitely right and looking back on the stats I can see that I need to focus on hitting the targets in the early reps rather than trying to blast it. But very pleased to see that they were all faster than the high end of my scale.

Considering that session was the 7th consecutive day of running, doing 42miles in the 6 days previous, I am double chuffed!

In other news, another 2lbs lost this week, so my weight loss plans are back on track too image

• Options

Will do, although you'll need Matty written on the back of it too and in big writing... you'll be way up in front of me!!image

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - is it too late to join in with this thread?

I started running (semi) seriously just over a year ago and by the end of 2013 had pbs in 5k of 21.02 (Dec '13) and 10k in 45.35 (Oct '13).

Then injury struck and meant I didn't really properly run for about 4 months at the beginning of this year and I have only been steadily working my way back into training over the past 6 weeks or so.

So I expect that if I ran a 5k tomorrow I would probably struggle to beat 25 mins! (And you can forget a 10k for a few months!).

I'm aiming to do a parkrun at the end of July (aiming for sub 24.30 which was the time I did in my first parkrun last July, so I want to see that the injury hasn't left me any worse off than at this stage last year) and then some further 5k and 10k races in the autumn. By the end of 2014 I'm hoping to be down to about 22mins for a 5k and 47mins for a 10k.

Anyway, that's enough for now ......

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Andrew. I'm sure the Dan can add you.

Everyone ready for blistering Park Runs tomorrow? Should be plenty of fast running looking at the weather.
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

*grumble grumble grumble*

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Ha. Maybe we should set a weekly deadline of Sunday evening to submit any new times and you just produce the chart once a week.
  • Options

Welcome Andrew! Wow, your pre injury times are very fast! Good luck with the rehab and hopefully you can give all of us some pointers image

First run for me all week since Hackney Half on Sun. A very disciplined 10 miler! Started reading the P & D book, and it gave calculations on how to work out the right paces for different types of run, based on your resting and maximum HR. So for me a long run should be done between about 140-151 HR. Stuck to this like glue although could see at the end I was creeping over - made myself go back down! At the same time I experimented with trying to use a running cadence of 180 steps/min. I know mine is usually slower, with long legs I tend to take big strides. Downloaded a running metronome app which ticked away the whole time in the background on my phone (alongside the music!) felt weird at first but it was interesting to experiment and try to run faster or slower with the same cadence. Noticed I needed to step lighter and almost like I was running on hot coals! Hopefully this will all help me though my knee feels a tad sore, guessing more steps means more impact?

Anyway this ended up pacing out at 9m25/mile. I quite like this method of oacing on HR as I always get very bored/frustrated just focussing on keeping the pace slow during long runs image

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    mattywarr wrote (see)

In other news, another 2lbs lost this week, so my weight loss plans are back on track too image

Matty, i'd be cautious about dropping too much weight,  once you get to a certain point (which i'm pretty sure you're at) then when you lose weight you're also losing a chunk of muscle mass ( and thats bad) do you have scales that work out both? because otherwise it may not help too much, i've been reading "racing weight" by Matt Fitzgerald which is very illuminating on this, i tried a similar thing in the run up to chester last year and i'm pretty sure that's why the wheels fell off my run at about halfway

• Options

7 miles last night with 5 mile tempo... set out feeling a bit nervous and slightly negative about being able to keep up a decent pace for 5 miles.

But averaged 7:52m/m for the 5 miles tempo (was aiming for 8) - eased into it and gradually increased the pace. Something I had read earlier in the week about being able to run hard but relaxed really stuck in my head and every time I felt myself starting to struggle I concentrated on relaxing my shoulders, and on running as smoothly as possible. This really helped. Ran the cool down mile in 8:32 and felt like I had a bit left in the tank.

Finished, and my garmin beeps "2 new records" - 5 km 24:17, 10km 49:52. (Don't worry TheDan, the table is safe for a while... no races planned for the next 2 weeks!)

Over all 7 miles average pace 8:13.

Nicole - I'd be interested to see how you get on with the training by heart rate... I'm guessing it takes a lot of discipline. I find my cadence has improved since introducing some shorter faster intervals. By running quick 400m intervals at least my legs know what 175+ feels like and it's not quite a shock whenI ask them to turn over a bit quicker on the slower runs!

Andrew - welcome, impressive times - I'm sure you'll be back up to speed in no time!

Matty - 7 days straight, around 50 miles i'm guessing... I hope your having a well deserved day off today!!!

• Options

@Nicole

I use the HR monitor all the time and its very benefical.  you need to get you max and resting HR ok.

I got long legs and started getting the runners knee, was advised to take more steps so lessen the impact, sems to have worked as my times are improving

My HR for the 70% target for the LSR was 150% which is now around 9:20 a mile, was 10m when i first started.   A great book is Heart Rate Training for a complete idiot... 

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Nicole & Rich  - thanks, I hope that I can get back to those times and better. It took me about 4 months to knock 5k down from 24.30 to 21, so it shows that some sort of organised training can pay off! Not sure I can really add much in the way of advice, but I will try!

Hope anyone who ran Parkruns today had success! No running for me today, been at Newmarket races on a stag do, so will no doubt be feeling that on my run tomorrow!

• Options

Dan, my scales report on BF% and body water % too. Everything logged in a spreadsheet with some calculations which tell me what amount of my weightloss is what. Its all approximated obviously but it's pretty nifty.

Rich - Rested friday! Little easy 5 miler saturday morning to parkrun. Was meant to do a 9 mile LSR but also had to attend a christening/BBQ followed by a 2 hour drive home, needless to say the LSR got shelved!

On the plus side, my Plantar Fasciitis is feeling 100 times better form the extra rest!

• Options

Good news on the Plantar Fasiitis (I had to look it up!)

I've developed some blisters on the inside arch of my foot, same trainers, same socks so anyones guess what's going on there. Currently trying to decide if I should abort my 8x800m intervals later (any excuse as I'm not exactly looking forward to them!)

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Table updated (again), no more new people now! (unless you ask nicely)

/members/images/771922/Gallery/timetimes_2_0.png

• Options
    No idea on the blisters Rich, must be something rubbing somewhere - are your trainers reaching end of life?

4 nice easy miles last night, and a 6 mile run with the club tonight. I'm starting to really enjoy the club runs. Very sociable and it spurs me on to run a decent pace, even though we stop regularly to regroup. It's great meeting new people and think I'm going to volunteer as a run leader soon.

Some hill sprints for me tomorrow, and my last 5k interval session on Thursday before my Half training plan kicks in. I think it'll be 12 x 400s but will not know until the coach tells us!
  • Options

Found a rough patch on the insole of my trainer so trimmed it a little and headed out anyway (seems like a good excuse for new trainers too me!)

8 x 800 - goal time 3:30-3:40 (7:00-7:20mm) off 90 sec recovery jogs

3:36, 3:34, 3:32, 3:38, 3:36, 3:37, 3:38, 3:37 so all in the target range.

Definitely doing the job as my legs were screaming by the last one and pretty sore this morning.

Matty - whats your target time for the half? I've just realised Bristol is only 11 and a bit weeks away and I haven't really thought of a training plan - have you written your own? Any tips?! I'm also really tempted by joining a club, but am worried about losing control over my sessions and not being pushed hard enough/or too hard)

• Options

I have an optimistic target of sub 1h40, but a more realistic target of sub 1h45, off a 1h48m PB. McMillan says I should be capable of around 1h43, so we'll see!

I tend to start of with a Bupa training plan and work it around my life. I've found the Bupa plans have a great mix of easy miles and speedwork. I also tend to make my long runs a bit longer. But it's the framework thats important.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/

I'm doing the Advanced Half training plan. It's running 6 days a week, which isn't for everyone. The intermediate is off of 4 runs per week. I used their Intermediate Marathon plan for Paris for my first marathon and it was fantastic, got me a sub-4.

At first I was worried about the club running affecting my plans, but I just treat it like a Fartlek session now. I only run with them once a week on Club Night, but if you get the right pace group to run with you can really push on. Last night, although it was a bit stop start, I was running at around 7.45 per mile, and it seemed more comfortable as everyone else was doing it too. It's strange really.

But getting to know people is good too. Turning up at races and actually recognising people to speak to has made me so much more relaxed pre race!

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'm thinking about a club too. I guess you don't HAVE to go to every session. What I've been told is training with other runners is very motivational, also you'll be invited to run in club races. Also they'll have coaches who can asses you and suggest ideas.

My friends have just completed a 'mid week series league'. Looks like about six weeks of 10km races. One a week. One of my friend has dropped over 10mins off her 10k time and now running sub 50mins.

It's something I will definitely be doing. Just a matter of when.
  • Options

Great splits there Rich and good luck on the blister front! I've been having terrible problems on my long runs, my Mizuno trainers gave me really bad blisters at VLM.  I had loved them during training as they were so light yet supportive.  So I bought some more but in a bigger size.  Unfortunately - same problem! It seems that it isn;t that they are too smal but that the toe box is too shallow so the tops of my toes keep hitting the top of the shoe!  The only ones I can wear for longer runs are my Asics but I do find them too heavy.  Am planning a shopping trip next week, maybe try out another brand like Brooks image

Well, officially started my marathon training plan on Monday! It's from the P&D book and have chosen the 'easiest' plan which only goes up to 55 miles/week - the hardest one is 105 miles and involves not only running every day but running twice a day 4 x a week.  Hmmm... maybe not image

Along the way (marathon date is 16th Nov) I have 2 x half marathons booked (GNR and Royal Parks) and have just signed up for a 10k in Regents Park 2 weeks before the marathon as the plan advocates doing various 'tune up races'!

Am now very torn about the running club I just joined.  Was starting to get a lot out of it but the marathon training is very prescriptive and I just can't see how I'm going to make it work doing the club sessions.  Thinking I will have to go back to training alone mostly, maybe I can make the odd session work into my plan...