Options

Comrades 2015

Comments

• Options

The one thing I thought worthwhile to carry was a little money - I bought 2 ice creams along the way to help cool me down.

• Options
    Just gels. Bear in mind it starts at 5:30am so most folk's tums won't be expecting food at that hour anywayimage
  • Options

I love the idea of buying ice creams en routeimage, carrying some money for this purpose is now on my list of hints and tips I've started to collate, so I don't forget all the useful bits I've read on here!

• Options

Thanks for the brilliant feedback again everyone - good to know I can run unencumbered - the ice cream tip is brilliant - what size of zar note would cover a double scoop 99 with raspberry sauce? I want to hand in the cash but leave the change. Might try this on Sunday in Cape Town!

• Options

I had a look at a course profile picture and estimated the total ascent at 1,700m. Does that sound about right?

Also, is my head on the right way round; here: http://www.comrades.com/international/international-race-information/2-race-info/314-general-rules-info under the title CUT-OFF POINTS, that list is in the wrong order for an up-run isn't it?

• Options

Yes, those are cutoffs for the down run.

• Options

Hello all- Wow, so much helpful info here. I just discovered this forum thanks to Emily Schmidt's FB page- which I also stumbled across while desperately seeking Comrades info. I've registered for the 2015 Comrades- as a novice grandmaster. Decided that it would be a great way to celebrate turning 60. Jacquie Millett is a big inspiration. I'm hoping to be right behind her image

For this Canadian the Comrades can seem a lonely quest because few people over here have heard of it.

I'm planning to run my qualifying marathon in Seattle on November 30 (I live in Vancouver)  

Next week I'm travelling to SA for a holiday and will check out the Comrades course for the first time. I hear there is a Comrades museum. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a pre-Comrades visit? Eg. Is it practical to run any of the well known hills or other sections of the course- to help with mental  and strategic prep?

• Options

Angela 3: This may sound peculiar, but one of the things I recommend you to do while you're in SA is go run a parkrun (a free 5K timed run) at 8am on a Saturday morning, if you possibly can. Sign up beforehand (go to http://www.parkrun.co.za/ and register - just choose the parkrun you think you're likely to visit as your home run for now, or go to http://www.parkrun.us/register/ and register with Livonia, Michigan, as your home run, since that's the one closest to you), print out your barcode and take it with you [this info will make sense later, but is very important]. There's North Beach parkrun in Durban (which quite a few people ran on the Saturday before running Comrades) as well as Dusi parkrun in Pietermaritzberg and lots of others around the country, so wherever you are on the saturday morning there will probably be a parkrun. You'll meet lots of local runners at a parkrun, some of whom will no doubt have run Comrades!

• Options

Thanks Debra Bourne. Great suggestion. I'll look into doing a couple of Park Runs when I visit SA. 

• Options

I am in as a newbie.  Looking forward to it.

• Options

Angela 3: where in the US are you?  it seems you might be an ex-pat SA ?

i'm not sure running any section of the course helps to prepare you better than running anywhere else. I say this because I think Comrades really is more than the sum of its parts. The fatigue, the weather, the crowd support and the camaraderie make the running an other world experience.  

• Options

Hi Dannirr- I live in Vancouver, on Canada's west coast. Not the US! (I was born in the UK) I'm married to a South African and have visited SA many times. It has always been my dream to run Comrades. Better late than never.

I totally get what you're saying but I figure that since I was going to be in SA from the end of Sept to end of October this year anyway I might as well check out the route. I want to learn as much about the course as possible ahead of time and perhaps even develop a hill-by-hill pacing strategy. I know, I know.. probably all that will go out the window when faced with actually doing it and I find myself in survival mode.

I'm used to training on serious hills where I live and thought it might be fun to compare the elevation changes on some of my routes to the notorious Comrades hills. But really, at this stage it's as much about the continued fuelling of my Comrades obsession as anything. 

• Options

Great to see some new faces - welcome to you all - I hope you'll all enjoy the whole Comrades experience.

Anyway happy to report that I am now qualified having sneaked a sub-4 at Tallinn (Estonia) on Sunday. It was a loop course and I saw AllyofNotEnoughHills racing near the front - a very impressive sight!

• Options

Angela 3 - cool.  I used to visit Vancouver quite a bit when my brother liced there (he's an SA Expat).  Tons of SA people.  

• Options

I don't think I'll be joining you all next year image. So far in my recovery (now more than 11 months since the accident) my longest run has been a whole 10 miles. However, at least I have reached 10 miles, with my tendon not complaining afterwardsimage. I feel it's probably most sensible for me not to plan any major races for next year, just keep building up slowly, maybe manage something low-key like Croydon 30 in July and Ladybower 50 next September, and look to 2016 to hopefully return to ultras properly and finally get to Comrades, two years later than planned.

• Options

Anyone here use Strava? I joined a Strava Comrades group. It might be interesting to follow others' training. Women's Comrades winner Ellie Greenwood's (Titanium E ) down run this year is on Strava - km by km. Amazing.

• Options

Hi Angela, I've only recently started using strava, and wasn't aware of the comrades group (I'm still learning about how to use it), but as this will be my first Comrades (and haven't yet done more than a marathon), it will certainly be interesting to see how others train for it. Not sure that Ellie's training plan will be an appropriate one for me to try and copy though!!

• Options

Hi Angela 3

Consider getting in touch with some of the local running clubs. I think there is a Hillcrest Harriers. They would have experienced locals who have done the race and could advise on race and course.

• Options
    Still seeing fizz, and in an interesting twist, the *new* dog has started limping (aaargh no)... but we and the vet think it's a problem in his pad (phew).

The Don Oliver schedule doesn't have mid long mid week runs - so even when you're up to marathons, apart from the long runs, you only run 10 or 12km tops at a time.

Yes, thoughts like this are very much "hoovering behind the wardrobe" given the above and the fact I haven't entered yet!
  • Options

Come on F2D, you gotta join the party! Oh Canada! It brings back memories of long runs in Halifax and Sydney on holiday training for...which marathon was that? My better half never allows me to book a flight involving Air France when we travel together "they'll be on strike". So what do I do with my kitchen pass to Cape Town...arrgh! Agent says I am now travelling half a day earlier at a ridiculously early kick-off with KLM. Just booked the extra night in CT now required. Was going to run tonight but spent so long re-arranging the schedule I just want a kip. My hams are very happy at the lack of disturbance and are yearning to be ravaged by my physio tomorrow. Looking forward to reading up on the banter on my return; I hope to regale you with tales of a sub 5 hours snatched from the jaws of 5 hour plusdom.    

• Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭

Angela, any chance you can link to the group? I don't seem to find it on Strava.

It isn't under events, I check there quite regularlyimage

• Options

Lars, if you search in clubs for Comrades, it brings up 2 options, think it was called comrades buddy's 

• Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭

Cheers, it will probably depress me in the weekly mile ranking, but maybe I take some motivation out of it.

Also good to see what others are running.

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I am reading this thread as I am hoping to do comrades in 2016 for my 40th. Its been an ambition for YEARS!

I wondered if anyone knew if the jw ultra could count for qualification? I came across the race on Saturday whilst on a girls weekend in Stratford and quite fancy it. Just pondering my qualification. Also anyone know the approx difference between starting in the sub 4 pen and the sub 4.20 pen? I believe there is a pen for club runners between them.

Thanks

• Options

Yes, those are cutoffs for the down run.

• Options

Hi Lars- here is the Strava link to Comrades buddy: http://app.strava.com/clubs/comradesbuddy

it is just kind of fun to follow others in different countries training for Comrades. Still early days yet but I figure the more Comrades, the better.

also, especially for any novices not familiar with the course, the Comrades up run "segment" is worth checking out:

http://app.strava.com/segments/4171473

• Options
    PG3 - never heard of an international not being able to use a particular marathon or ultra for qualifying.

Pen doesn't make a huge difference - it's just one small factor over a very long day - 2-3 mins...less than the time lost if you walk a mile rather than run it (and it's not unusual to be walking a lot late on!).
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    How did they measure a segment for 12 hours? I am not sure my Garmin will survive a the run.
  • Options

Depends on the model but some Garmins have long battery life, especially if you switch off the backlight.  My Garmin 310xt had plenty of charge left both times I ran Comrades.  I had used this battery life to justify its purchase in the first place as my old Garmin would have conked out before half way.

• Options

Lars, my current Garmin the 210, wouldn't make it so I plan to get one with a longer battery life, either a better Garmin or a Suunto. I suppose one could also use the Stava app on a smart phone...... Which reminds me- I read the Comrades rules and it says that mobile phones are not allowed. is this rule enforced? I'm pretty sure I've seen Comrades blogs where people have taken photos. Presumably they used an iPhone not an actual camera..