Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Big, with the carb loading practice it pre your 20 mile training runs as it can take a while to adjust.  Also from experience (and a google search) trying to get to the bottom of my sickness on race day; is be careful to not consume a lot of sugar when carb loading as it is known to effect the stomach before the race.    

• Options

Are there any entry promo codes knocking about yet?

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I ran this year, it was my first marathon and I really enjoyed the experience. Everything went according to plan but I exceeded my target by quite a bit. I only entered late this year so ended up staying in the Premier Inn at Altrincham. I've just booked it again as I intend to everything the same for next year.

Not started training for Manchester yet Big, will start around November for that. I do have a couple of races lined up for the next few months though; the Long Tour of Bradwell is a 50k race in the Peak District with 7000ft of elevation and the Ladybower 50 is a 50 mile plod around the 3 reservoirs. I must be mad !

• Options

Carter - im thinking of doing Ladybower too!  Not the 50 though, i would probably "only" do the 20, more for a day out than anything image

Ive been concentrating on speedwork since Manchester and on Sunday got my 10k PB down to 44:09 from a previous of 47:53 image  A 5k tonight (Sale Sizzlers race 2) and then another in 2 weeks (Sale Sizzlers race 3) then i'm starting a 12 week half marathon plan ready for Capesthorne in November and working back up from there into full mara training from xmas time.

• Options

Wow - there are quite a few of us from this year's thread that look like we're coming back for another bite at it! I was toying for ages between doing Manchester again in 2015 - this time with the family fingers crossed (as my daughter got badly ill the day before this year's race so I ended up having to come up by myself and feeling like a terrible mother for the weekend), or going for the Seville Marathon.

Very tempted by Seville as it's similarly flat but obviously more exotic! Only problem is it's much earlier - February - and I have so much going on at the end of this year as my sister is getting married up in Manchester and I'm Maid of Honour so what with dress fittings, hen weekends and the event itself (and although I grew up in Altrincham, I'm now based on Poole so not local!), I don't think I'd feasibly be able to fit the mileage in that I'd need to in November/December.

So have plumped for Manchester again this year so I can start the formal training schedule in December after the wedding of the year is done with and might do Seville in 2016 instead.image

I wonder who else will join the thread fro last year - I ran the last few miles through Carrington and Urmston with ExEggchaser and he well and truly got me through that section.

• Options

I had a similar dilemna Kirsty, i really fancied Barcelona but that's in March, and I'm off on a cruise in early December which would screw my training plans up.  Manchester falls nicely with the 18week P&D plan starting 15th December and i get back on the 13th image  That 3:30 will be mine this year!

• Options

I've just entered image

Chasing sub 4 again - got 4.10 last time so it's in reach...

• Options

Hi all, caterusm yes you must be mad, tired just reading that..

Animal-your 10k is one second quicker than mine! 

Kirsty like you chasing sub 4 at Manchester. Got HM time down to 1.45 and my focus over the next 9 months( 9 months on Sat) is getting that sub 4!!

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Big, with that 10k time you should kill a sub 4 marathon pal.  keep those long runs at an easy pace mate. image

• Options

Cheers Pete, will do. Got my 44.10 just a few weeks ago. Joining a club has helped with a bit of structured training. 

• Options

As Pete says, you should smash 4 hours Big. 3:30 would be an achievable scaled up target.  I got my 5k PB last night, a 21:17 (although it was 21:23 official -gun time only) at the Sale Sizzler. 2 PBs in 4 days image

• Options

Agreed, I nailed sub 4 in paris off a 1h48 half time. And I still have a slower 10k than you. 

Get 5 or 6 x 20 milers in along with plenty of other easy miles you should breeze it.

I'm targetting 3.30 ish (I'm hesitant to put my neck on the line to prefix that with "sub") but a lot will depend on my Bristol Half time in September - hoping for sub 1.40

• Options

Thanks animal and Matty, did 4 and half hours in London but a lot has changed in my running in that time, my training is more structured and times have came down well. I will be doing more longer runs( 20 and above) this time. Peaked at 2 20 milers last time and will do more and will do a couple 22 milers. I did London for charity and main focus was too complete and enjoy which I did, time to get serious now....lol

Ps. Well done animal on your shiny new 5k pb. Not DID one for ages but it was 22.07, maybe try a parkrun and see where I am now!

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Great times those magic. In LVG we trust image

• Options

aye lets hope we can proudly talk about our club in this years thread, last year was horrible.  The difference in the air of authority with LVG is amazing, really hope we have a fun season ahead.

• Options

Ran this last year, didn't really achieve what I wanted (3rd marathon and learning all the time), and despite saying no more around mile 22 I'm tempted to give it another go. Really good race, well organised with lots of support.

suffering from a mysterious groin / stomach muscle injury at the moment but once repaired will be building back up the miles slowly and giving it another go.

• Options

I entered yesterday!

FIRST ONE !image 

• Options

Nice one Alice95, let the training commence!!!

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

way to go alice. At least you are certain of a PB image image

• Options

Welcome Alice!  You will love Manchester, its an excellent event!

For anyone not on the thread last year who wants to follow the P&D 18/55 plan i have uploaded by excel sheet again onto dropbox which can be accessed here.  Its set to km so those using miles will have to convert or use something else image

John

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Magic, how does the P&D plan differ from other plans?

i.e. what are the main features of it.

cheers

• Options

thanks image

I've done a couple of half marathons and some shorter races, but I'm trying not to worry about covering that distance!! image 26.3 miles is a looooong way!! 

• Options

Pete - I'm unsure how P&D compares to other marathon plan books as its the only one ive ever followed.  Hopefully some more seasoned Marathoners can provide some feedback on that question.  As for how it works, the 18 weeks are split up into 4 (5 if you include the recovery) Mesocycles of around 4 to 5 weeks each.  The first MesoCycle is all about increasing mileage, there is very little speed/racepace work, its all about getting the miles in.  The second Mesocycle is about improving Lactate threshold, the third is race prep and the 4th is the taper (hooray!).  Each Mesocycle is split into microcycles which are in effect a single week from that cycle.  Every 4th week is a step back week allowing your body to recover and prepare for the 3 weeks ahead.

I will use it again as i felt it worked really well for me last time.  The 5 days a week (Tue-Thu and sat-sun) work best for me too (although you could adapt any plan into your preferred week).  Some of the weeks in the middle were tough going and the legs were really on the edge of injury but that was to be expected as it was my first marathon and my first step up to running anywhere close to 90k a week (i usually do around 40-50)

John

• Options

Alice - luckily for you Manchester follows the UKA guidlines and the marathon is only 26.2 imageimage  You can save that ultra for another time.

• Options

Anyone else finding it really hard in this heat? Thought I would try a new way and got out of bed this morning at 6.30am and did a tough wee 5 miler, went well and Sun wasn't out but took a mile or so for the legs to actually wake up!!

• Options

Big - I like to run in the mornings too when its hot although I'm much more prone to "toilet problems" when running first thing image  It seems to take a couple of miles for the body to get moving but for the most part i enjoy morning runs more than any other.  After work evening runs are the worst, especially in heat

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Pete/Magic - I followed the P&D 18/55 plan in my attempt to run my first marathon 2 years ago. I say attempt as I failed due to injury and I think that following the P&D plan partly contributed to this. I found it tough going when entering the 2nd mesocycle and I seemed to keep breaking when doing 2 speed sessions a week until finally I could run no more. I was on a P&D thread on here as well and a high number of people got injured all around the same time. I'm not saying it doesn't work as I'm sure it does work for some people but just not for me. Good luck if you decide to follow that plan as I believe people who complete it do get some great results.

I'm finding the heat fairly bearable providing I can get enough liquids on my long runs. I'm currently training for a couple of ultras so my long runs are around the 25 mile mark and lasting well over 5 hours. I use a bladder but find after about 3 hours the same drink does get rather boring so I have been planning my routes to pass by shops so I cab get something different, which can be difficult when in the middle of nowhere ! I've waited a few months for this nice weather so I'm going to make the most of it while it lasts !

• Options

Carter - What plan do you use instead?  Or do you develop your own with features from various plans?  I also felt i was very close to injury (mainly my calves) during the training although i just about managed to get through.  I think this time i will be a little less obsessed about ticking off the days on my calender and instead take an extra rest day if needed.