Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

PS Alan sorry I just realised I ignored a previous question by you, Ultra wise I am indeed thinking of the Clyde Stride one, as you say meant to be good for newbs.  Have you ever done one?

I will look out for your Garscube vest on Sunday.  Hope you do well.

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    I've not done one Ali, the marathon is still daunting enough for me!

Also getting the train down, think ours leaves Glasgow around 11am. Got enough food for about 3 lunches! image
  • Options
    Morning, Volunteering @burnage parkrun this morning. Wanted to run wythenshawe but thought I'd save myself. I offered to volunteer but they were ok for ppl but said burnage were desperate. Off to the city afterwards to stock up on gels etc. lovely day for a run

Thanks

Ed
  • Options

Perfect conditions this morning in Sale: bright, cool and calm. Blowing a bit of a gale in my trousers though; all these carbs are playing havoc with my digestion...... I would also like to thank the regular contributors to this thread, it has been a constant source of advice and inspiration. Good luck everyone.

• Options
    Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all on here for your inspiration, advice and support and to wish us all the very best of luck. I'm bib number 1187 and will be the one looking the perfect mix of excitement and terror. Go us!
  • Options
    Alan and Ali- I'm down for clydestride, ouch! Weather is fab here in Manchester. Getting nervous now image knee playing up in yesterday's 5 mile warm up. Need some plasters and blu-tac to hold me together lol
  • Options
    I run marathons because I can, because I like the challenge, because I like the ritual of a post marathon Guiness, because I meet interesting people with good interests (marathon running ???? because I love being in big races- London BerlinParis Manchester- and small marathons Telford track and so many more reasons
  • Options
    Yep Sean 1st 20 miles don't be an idiot, last 6 don't be a wuss
  • Options

Setting off from South Wales...  I've splashed out on a luxury hotel - called the Ibis Budget in Salford Quays.   I'm looking forward to relaxing in one of their lounges and strolling around their grounds. For £118, room only, I would expect nothing less image

Good luck everyone.

• Options
    Last little run done just now in bright, cool but slightly breezy condition here in East Manchester. Nice and steady but picked pace up in last mile just as a gentle reminder of what's to come.

I'm up for a post race beer, has anywhere been officially designated RW Manc Mara thread pub? I'll have Mrs SJ and mini SJ in tow so won't be allowed inside most likely.. The Trafford is the big home supporters pub right? With the big outdoor area?

I hope you all smash your targets and bask in the glory. All the best and enjoy it (if you can). See you on the other side...
  • Options
    Oh and I will be loitering sheepishly near the 3 hour start area looking distinctly like my avatar and wearing a green, red and white Sale Harriers vest. Don't be shy and my name really is Jason.. I'll leave my name on my bib !
  • Options

After taking inspiration from the forum since the start of the year its time for a first post as myself and 10 other club runners from Troon Tortoises start the journey south,I am a Stockport boy and a county fan so almost a home marathon for myself,good luck everyone the trainings done now its a case of just getting on with it and enjoy the experience

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

I hope to be there.  Unfortunately I have had another f'in cold the last few days but made a big recovery last night, however, I still have a dry cough (but not persistent).  hopefully will go by tomorrow but if not I am planning on jogging around.

what is everybody's thoughts on this, will I be okay to run with a bit of a cough?

ultimately I think any scope for a fast run is gone as I have not been out for any kind of run for a week now.

• Options
    Any tips to deal with the nerves? Barely slept last night!
  • Options

Wythenshawe Parkrun done as a last run. Steady effort with a few 30s - 60s stride outs.

Good to put a face to a name Animal.

Try to keep off your feet today.

I'll have my Trafford AC vest on - White with a blue/yellow diagonal stripe.I'm number 10695.

See you in the race village.image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. I'm feeling surprisingly calm this morning. Just taken the mutts up for a walk in the Peak District and it was effin freezing and blowing a gale ! Just about to pack my stuff and head off to the train station from Sheffield. Have a good run everyone and enjoy yourselves. Don't be shit and don't go off too fast !

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Parkrun at Delamere forest for me with wife and mother law enjoying themselves too. Beautiful morning for it and absolutely stunning location. Had to have a word with myself and keep it easy. A la Gary, did a few strides in the middle mile. Getting excited now!

Pete, I would follow the usual running rule: if you feel everything (all symptoms) is above the neck, then you're fine to run, if it is below the neck (ie chest) then be very wary. Sorry if this is the case - I can imagine it would be very hard to make that decision at this stage. 

Keep cool and calm today everyone!

• Options

Just about to head off for Manchester from east coast ...

never read forums in my life b4 but glad found this one as it has kept me 100% motivated and got me where I am... Not sure where that is but will find out tomorrow.

Plan is just start with 4 mile pacers in site ish then probably catch one up by halfway then stay with them till 20 miles ( hopefully !!!) then let the fun begin !!! Whatever happens it will be a massive achievement as 12 months ago I couldn't run a mile without pulling up injured with a dodgy calf.

again thanks for all the inspiration it has helped load image

• Options

Good to meet you too Gary.  parkrun for me too, a leisurely 27:xx.  sore left knee which is rather random but sure it will clear, not too worried.

7291 for me (red), will have a beige jumper on before the start and will be up at the meeting place posted a couple of pages back.

SJ - i think a lot of people are doing there own thing as families/friends will be around and people are going back home if local or hotels if not so i dont think there is a definitive meeting place.  Ill be in the Bishops Blaize until around 2pm personally so if i meet you before the start ill look out for you.

• Options
    Ah fair do's Animal. I guess I might well just hobble off back to the car as well if I'm honest.. Depending how well im walking/feeling after the race.
  • Options
    I'm nearly in Manchester now! Also thanks to everyone on the thread. It has been a tough year for my training and you've all kept me going. Hope to see some of you in the morning. I'll be in navy and white Oxford Uni Triathlon kit!

I hope you're feeling better tomorrow Pete.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you all. Hope the weather is good for you.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Just spotted someone out in a Balloch to Clydebank t-shirt at St Peters Square, that wasn't you bigeater was it? image
  • Options
    Just catching up on the last few days of posting. Sat on a train Manchester bound a bundle of nerves - been to visit the loo about 6 times in 90 minutes!!

Everyone's comments have cheered me up no end - Ali: ditto - I'm shitting it too!!

Caz - OMG you've done the WDW marathon weekend - I am so jealous and all being well I'll get to do it in 2016. We're all big Disney fans in our family - debates of favourite Space Mountain coasters erupt all the time: think mine is Anaheimimage

Good luck one and all! I'll be wearing my club t shirt which is a sick/Korma colour with the word 'Bilsthorpe' on the back which looks like it's been drawn by a child ('cos it has!!), loitering around the 4 hour pacers before slinking off to the bay behind. Kershaw is on the back and Amy on the front.

Thanks to everyone on the thread - loads of motivation and a goldmine of useful info over the last few months.

Once again - good luck - lets smash it!! Oh gosh...in Stockport: not far now image
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. There are problems with overhead cables leading to suspension of service on Altrincham tram line today...so please make sure you check on metrolink website tomorrow morning if planning on using this line.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ibe just been told that they are 'hopeful' the tRams will be working tomorrow morning as normal but there will be bus replacements if not

• Options
    Yep 15West!

Currently on the replacement bus service and working out plan b for tomorrow.

So much for the best laid plans...
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

http://www.marathontalk.com/resources/articles/the_marathon_prayer_by_tony_audenshaw.pdf

Classics. Tony's Trials from Marathon Talk. Well worth a read or listen tonight. 

Thank you for the info 15West - concerning! Will have a look online later. 

• Options

Best of luck tomorrow everyone, go and smash it!

AM could you remind me of the meet point, I'm on my own tomorrow so could probably do with a bit of pre race nerve calming.

• Options
    Made it to Manchester and found my hotel for the night at The Hotel Ibis in Salford Quays. Apparently everyone staying tonight is going to the marathon, so should be pretty quiet later!

Breakfast is from 5:30 as the marathon is on, but I think I'll head down about 6:30.

Get a good night's sleep and see you all on the road!

Let's smash it!