Options

Dog owner rant

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Sassie. DOGS are still wild creatures and so it's impossible to legislate for every eventuality but it is 100% the responsibility of the owner to ensure the dog is trained correctly and behaves in public. Even after training, if this means a lead etc. then so be it.

I'm not so sure all dog owners think like you though, Sassie, which is a shame.

Like raising children, you must teach dogs right from wrong and how to behave. I also think alot of dog owners go head first into buying a dog without too much thought on training, behaviour etc.
  • Options
    RRR sassie proposed detroying the dog.
  • Options
    If a dog bites someone I think euthanasia is the only option. Using a muzzle can be more cruel, as the dog has no way to defend itself against another dog, and will be very aware of this, and so will spend every walk in fear.
  • Options
    Sassie... I'm shocked you of all people would say that.
  • Options
    Totally agree rrr.I got bitten when i was a boy by my nextdoor neighbours dog.They had an Irish wolf hound puppy !!!! in a small 3 bed semi .No wonder he was excitable.He got into our garden won day and bit me on the leg .I was about 11 at the time. My dad went round there demanding the dog should be put down . I cried as i didn't want it to be killed as i felt it would be my fault . So we phoned the a local dog place and they agreed to take the dog and rehoused it on a farm where it should have been in the first place.
    It was the stupid owners fault not the dogs .
  • Options
    If a dog bites someone, I think euthanasia for the owner is the only option.
  • Options
    Before the usual arguements continue, lets not forget our good dog owners... eh?
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm
    hadnt thought of that about muzzles

maybe a short strong lead would do
  • Options
    In an ideal world all dogs would be trained correctly and not misbehave but we don't live in an ideal world.

What alternative do we have. If owners do not live up to their responsibility (which alot don't and won't) then I don't believe there is any other option.

You can't have dogs attacking and seriously injuring humans.

Why should dogs be any different to humans. If a human kills another, they are imprisoned for life (in theory!)

• Options
    But then i spend many of my runs in fear---
  • Options
    RRR precisely, we don't destroy humans as a punishment do we?
  • Options
    Bingo, Dodge...
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Dogs are semi-domesticated pack animals. They belong on farms and other places where they can do something useful. Keeping one in a home as a pet or a fashion/lifestyle accessory is just plain cruel, IMHO.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Am a dog owner, and run with them occasionally. I have one that is similar to a husky (a bit smaller) and other than resembling a wolf is no problem. The other is a greyhound... it runs with a muzzle on because it chases (and catches) small furry (non dog) animals like cats - the muzzle causes no problems. I have 2 kids and have no concerns over the dogs.

I cannot help other runners attitude to dogs, it may be caused by bad experiences or by insecurity, but please remember like bad peeps, there are relatively few bad dogs.

If you see a dog on your run - be prepared that it may trip you up - this is really the most likely event - take care. Keep your eye on the dog at all times, talk to it. I always say 'hello mate'. Don't go mad sqwaking at the dog or owner, it stresses everyone out.

Whilst doing intervals around the perimeter of a small local park a small dog ran up to me and I did my normal as above and carried on without problem, the runner behind had a fit and abandoned her circuit...its a state of mind most of the time.

Don't forget that the dog and owner have a right to be there, and in certain places the dog can be off the lead.

That said - if the owner should take precautions if his dogs show any predisposition towards biting. Being bitten on the arm is most unusual!
  • Options
    Dodge

No we don't but we can't have prisons for dogs and dog's homes will not have the space or resources to take in these dogs
  • Options
    To hell with it then... Kill everything.
  • Options
    Bod, it is good to have advice from dog owners about how to avoid being bitten. But Meerkat seems to have done all the right things.
  • Options
    Quite right, minkey

Let God sort 'em out.
  • Options
    RRR there aren't prisons for dogs that is true but we seem to have been able to come up with an alternative to executing human offenders so maybe we could do the same for dogs? Of course that might be too much like hard work and so we should continue with the easy option of just destroying them. If that's the case then why do we bother keeping them as pets.
  • Options
    Dodge

Do you honestly see that happening in today's world ie an alternative being sought? I don't think so.

I agree with you in that destroying them is the easy option and it would be better all-round if there was another option rather than death. I'm just being realistic in society today!

I LOVE dogs (surprisingly enough) but we don't live in an ideal world.
  • Options
    The dog threads recently have had quite a severe affect on me.

I now tend to worry if there are big dogs loose in the park.

However I will shortly be joining the ranks of dog owners so am taking interest in the other side.

Meer, I'm really sorry that this has happened to you and I hope the consequences aren't too horrible.
  • Options
    Really JJ? Whatcha getting?
  • Options
    A dog, Dr Nic.

Come on girl, pay attention.

:-)
  • Options
    .....is this thread about the letter in this months RW where a runner wa ran over by a dog?

Titled- "dog eat woman".

Id have beaten the rotten thing. All that preparation, only for some fool to free his dog into a mass of running limbs.
  • Options
    We've been considering this for years and we're probably getting a cocker spaniel.

Now we've just got to find the right breeder and a puppu ready at the right time, i.e. after our holiday so we can give it lots of time.
  • Options
    Springer Spaniels are nice dogs too, Josie
  • Options
    RRR I don't think it can be that hard for people to start thinking of alternatives. I thought we were a nation of dog lovers but it seems more that we just treat them like accesories and when they become inconvenient we just get rid and move on.

I've always liked Dobermans but a few years ago I got a hankering to get a Redback. However, if were to get a dog it'd be a retired greyhound. You wouldn't believe the numbers of these that get abandoned once they're passed their racing prime. They don't eat much and they don't need as much exercise as people think. Apparently they make great family pets.
  • Options
    Dodge - completely agree about greyhounds. Lovely couch potato dogs.
    Stifler - no, not about the letter, but about my getting bitten yesterday.
    Thanks, JJ! I'm fine and have a little bruise to display at the social.