Options

Dog owner rant

1235»

Comments

• Options
    If I lived in the country Chimp, then I'd like a springer, but they need so much excercise that I wouldn't feel right keeping one in the 'burbs.

My aunty has a rescued greyhound, someone threw it out of a car near her home.
  • Options
    ...and I bet your kids love it, might even want one of their own ;)
  • Options
    Oh no, not again ! So sorry to read this - but also a little angry. Is there anybody out there who's NOT been bitten by a dog whilst out running ? (just once in my case)

MK - you'll find this may have a synergistic effect ; you may be even more nervous from now on when you see a canine. They pick up on this etc etc..

Dogs = just another example of how our society is so complacement + unable to deal with such problems/risks.

Owners also increasingly more selfish, more likely to own a dangerous dog (why TWO alsatians ?), less likely to accept responsibility (eg blame the runner !) + less likely to put the effort/love that is required to properly train a dog

Such a pity as they really can be man's best friend

• Options
    Meer - I'm very sorry about your experience. Hope you are now o.k. Big hug from me and a lick from Shani and Oz.

As a dog-owner and trainer for many many years, there have been some good points made on here but also a load of tosh. Muzzling a dog that has never misbehaved, never attempted to bite anyone, is well-trained and always on a leash is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment. A very large part of a dog's life relates to his ability to track smells, and wearing a muzzle the dog cannot drink water on a hot hot day either.
    A 'dangerous' dog, i.e. one that is untrained or has demonstrated agressive behaviour of any sort should simply not be taken out amongst the general public. Period.
    Legislation - do what the Germans did and bring in a 'dog owner's license' for which both owner and animal have to attend a training course and pass an exam.
  • Options
    Such a pity as they really can be man's best friend
    unquote

Absolutely bang on.

I really adore dogs.

:-)

I've not contributed to teh debate in any way at al, just wanted to say that!
  • Options
    oh and Oft - dogs are social pack animals by nature, that's why I have two.
    And when I need to leave them for a couple of days (very rarely, they normally travel with us), I leave them with a trainer friend who has SIX German Shepherds and takes out our 2 plus his 6 all together. Never been a problem - all 8 are thoroughly trained and recognize that Juergen is boss.
    I realize it takes a lot of time, patience, and effort to train a dog, I've done it often enough, and that's where the real problem lies - the owners are too lazy.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Ironwolf: you are right about the pack animals, should have seen 4 happy dogs and 5 happy runners in bright sunshine last Friday through the woods at Stourhead. Glorious.

Didn't kill anybody either!

Strangly, or maybe not, when we are all running free the dogs totally ignore other people and dogs.
  • Options
    Thanks, Ironwolf, Oz and Shani! I agree with you 100%, which is why this an owner rant not a dog rant. A dog licence is a superb idea.
  • Options
    Of course Mak's friend - because contrary to what most people 'know', you and I know a dog held on a short leash automatically interprets that as a signal that danger's about and therefore he might need to defend his owner!

• Options
    Hi meer - yes I understand. Thoughtless ignorant owners make my blood boil. Many owners should never have a dog, they don't know the first thing about them.
  • Options
    I'd be more than happy to take a dog owning test and I fully intend to go to training classes.

I've always thought it is too easy to own a dog.
  • Options
    i was once bitten a few years ago when delivering papers to a caravan. It didnt even bark or make a sound, just came from underneath and bit my arse.

Fackin bruise it left too!

I hit it with the paper, and the woman came out! Said the bugger just bit my arse and she said......"there was no need to hit it???"....NO NEED?