Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Hello everyone. This thread is the follow on thread from the beginners section of the forum (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/simple-training-forumla-would-it-work/254891.html).

The aim of this thread is to continue the training programme and to develop my experience and improve on the existing times already achieved with the help of LG.

A little background, i am 45 years old, 12st 4lbs, 5'5" and started running on the 2nd January 2013, when i literally could not run 100m and so started the C25K programme from Zen Labs.

My current PBs as are as below :-

5km - 27:43  - on the 28/09/2013 

10km - 56:52 - on the 13/11/2013 (I did run 53:30 but i have not counted as the course appeared some 400m short).

Half Marathon - 2:09:38 - on the 08/03/2015

Marathon - 4:57:14 - on the 19/04/2015

My aim in the next 12 months is the achieve at least the following :-

5km - sub 25 mins

10km - sub 50 mins

Half Marathon - sub 2 hours

Marathon - sub 4 hours 30 mins

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    You can't get away from me that easy. I'm still watching your progress.
  • Options

Thanks Gary, Any comments or advice would be welcomed as usual. Hope you have recovered from Manchester.

• Options
    Yes. Fairly recovered. Now in London getting ready for Sunday's marathon.
  • Options

Crazy crazy guy, but i wish you all the best.

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Hi John, if you'd fancy a bit more company you could join us on the sub 50 thread

• Options

Morning JJ - nice clean fresh thread image

I see you did the 3k loosener - how're the legs today?

Regarding the plan - I think we should take the marathon objective and work backwards from there.  You'll be delighted to hear that there will be many hill sessions.

Do you know which dates / events you want to target for each distance?

And you need to get the heart rate monitor sorted because we use that to monitor effort but more importantly, your general fatigue levels to avoid injury.

• Options

Heart rate monitor sorted. It is fine now.

Manchester 10km - 10th May 2015 (eek)

Great North Run - 13th September 2015

Manchester Marathon - April 2016

I can include more events as needed, such as some halfs and 10kms but i will only do the one Marathon, otherwise i will be out of the house too much.

My legs are ok, the main issue is the front of the right shin, which is tender. It cramped up during the marathon but i ran through it. It cramped up last night. Needs stretching I think. I have had this issue before you may recall.

• Options

JJ, massage the underside of your feet by rolling on a tennis ball or a golf ball; that loosens the tendon connections.  Also ice the shin up to about a hand's width under the knee and toward the outside of the leg for the other tendon.

Swims and 5-8 k easy (x2?) this week only, see how the shin feels.  Some time in the gym on core strengthening always a good use of spare time image.

• Options

So back to swimming. I better get a membership then it seems.

Got you on the runs. Back to Sunday, Wed, Fri runs.

Will do some core at home and free weights.

• Options

Felt fine today doing 8km, and at 4.5km i was going well and then i felt my groin hurt again. So I stoppped and hobbled home. It has eased off a little now, but i need to keep a check on it. I know it will repair soon enough though, it is not worrying me.

• Options

Definately nursing my groin strain. Felt it at 4km tonight, so slowed and stopped just short of 5km so not to cause more issues. I stopped quicker this time than the last run so definately less damage done tonight.

Weill try again for 8km on Friday, perhaps i will just try it a LSR pace to get the distance in. 

A week on Sunday for Manchester might be tough if the problem persists, but I will run through it for a race.

• Options

JJ, stick with 3-5k if the groin is bothering you, or take a couple more days off.  No harm done having a rest and beats dragging out the injury.

• Options

I went out to do 5km slowly, but it all felt fine, so i pushed it a little in terms of speed as i got through the run and also went to do 8km.

I got to 7.5km and felt the slightest of twitches so immediately stopped.

Feel good for that now, as no problems and i could go a little quicker as well. 

Will go for 8km again on Sunday, but probably Monday this week.

• Options

JJ, that's fine, pace was pretty encouraging.  Keep it very slow for your next run.  If all is ok on Monday you can do a short tempo Wednesday- 1k warm up, 3k at 6:00 - 6:05 and 1k cool off.  But only if no twinges. 

• Options
    Gotcha. I want to get 52.30 but think that may be tough this time around, but I will be trying for 5.15 per km.
  • Options

JJ, it might just happen, but not if you run too hard before you recover from the marathon, which was only two weeks ago, remember....

• Options

But we are confident of getting there this year, I should say.

• Options

Yeah, i am not expecting it this run, but this year i know i will get it. Maybe even sub 50 but that will be a very tough call.

I will be delighted for sub 55 this race particularly as the course if full of 40,000 runners.

• Options

John - stop limiting yourself and just run.

Run max, run fast, run moderate and run slow at the correct times.

Follow your plan and with the right diet and consistency you've no idea where you will end up.

'if you say can.......you're probably right!'

'if you say you can't..........you're probably right!'

• Options

Again felt my groin a little, so stopped, but what a daft run today. I have no idea what i was trying to do. It was not a tempo, not an easy, not a repeat it was just plain silly. 

One to forget about for sure.

This groin is annoying me, I will make 10km I know but not sure how i will feel after it. 

• Options

JJ, yes I saw your splits.  Might be best just not to run again this week, do the 10k at a comfortable pace and then start again.  I must say I find groin strain can take quite a while to recover from.

• Options

Yes this is a frustrating niggle, it is absolutely fine but reoccurs around 4.5km.

Maybe some stretching all week, with some complete rest might do it and forget about a decent time in the 10km. 

Quite frustrating as it is not even a full injury just a damn niggle.

Rather than stop completely i could do some 3km slow runs to keep the legs moving and not stress myself to much.

Not so sure i can go comfortable pace in the race when i have 3 mates who are all on the cuss of sub 50 mins. I was going to try to keep just behind them and then push the last few km to get sub 55. 

I will see how it goes this week and keep reporting back.

• Options

JJ, better to rest than keep testing it all the time.  Swim maybe?  If that doesn't aggravate it.

• Options

ok, i will rest all week and run the race. image

I might give swimming a go yes.

• Options

Not liking this rest, got cabin fever already.

• Options

You'll be really quick in the 10k then image

• Options

If my groin holds up, yes, but not done much since the marathon and hope i have not lost too much stamina and form. 

I really want to give it everything i have this Sunday, just hope i can do myself justice for the full 10km and not have to slow due to injury. Still resting will give me the best opportunity for that.

• Options

Well lets see what tomorrow brings. I will either fly round or fall over lol.

• Options

...or both...

Best of luck JJ, but I'd say just enjoy the day.