Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

JJ, can you do a 20k LSR over the weekend, and I'll give you the new plan for next week pitched at your 10k target.

• Options

JJ - are we sticking with 3 x run plus 1 or more 'other' such as swimming, or do you want to go back to 4 runs a week?  They will not go back up over 20k for a couple of months but intensity will ramp up.

• Options

This week's runs - (ie do this weekend's LSR then rest / swim, then kick off as follows)

1 x easy 8k (pace is 6 - 6:15 per k)

1 x intervals.  10 x600m

Warm up 1.5k ending with strides

Run 600m at 5:15 pace; that means do each 600m in 3:10 or better, followed by 200m walk / jog. 

1.5m cool off

That takes you to a total distance of just over 11k

1 x LSR 16k (pace 6:15 - 6:45)

If you decide to go to 4 runs the following week the structure will be slightly different.  Enjoy image

• Options
    Thanks LG. I think 3 runs is really what suites me time wise especially now that one of kids swiims on Thursday and the other does karate on Wednesday.

I might consider changing my run days as well to Tuesday, Friday Sunday to fit in with kids and swim Wednesday or Thursday but we will see.

I like the paces will be tough though but good fun.
  • Options

OK,, so 3 runs a week, but that means that each of them will be quite intense image

• Options

yeah that is the downside. I would love to do 4 runs but i just dont have the time really.

• Options

20km LSR done, i tried to introduce the new pacing into it and did quite well, although pacing appears to be a little sporadic.

Kms 4 and 17 were up and down the steps again so that always add 15-20 seconds as they go around so on garmin i dont go anywhere but time ticks on. Final km was i was struggling with my knees and was tire, but lasted until 18km at that pace quite ok without any food or water and it was quite warm.

If the easy runs are 8-10km i can do that on wednesday when my daughter is at karate, park up, drop her off, run, pick her up and drive home image

• Options

8km easy done, a little too fast but not much, it felt great.

• Options

Repeats done.

Stomach is now tender, muscles that perhaps dont work as much normally (feels good to have that).

You can see that i jogged the first split but decided to walk the others to ensure i completed the 10 repeats. You can also see from the heart rate the runs in to the wind and those wind assisted. Quite interesting really to see the effect.

Sundays run may be Monday as my wifes birthday on Sunday, but it will be done one day or the other. Next weekend will definately be my LSR on the Monday as i am drinking Saturday.

• Options

JJ, looks good - need to know how tired you felt at the end - did you feel that you could have carried on for 2 - 3 more reps or just about done?

• Options
    I do believe I could have struggled through another 2 reps.
  • Options

OK, need to push just a tiny bit harder then on the next one.

Next week -

1 x 8k easy

1 x intervals.  1.5k warm up (that'll be standard).  Then 5 x 1.5 at 5:45 - 6:00 pace with 60 sec jog between.  Walk only if you have to.  1.5 cool off.  Total is about 11+k

20k LSR.

• Options
    Gotcha, thanks as always image
  • Options
    Picked up a slight hamstring pull on right leg, will definitely be running Monday now not sundY.
  • Options

Keep up the good work John. I'm still watching your progress. Follow your plan, run regular and you will reach your targets. 

I've got a trail marathon (http://www.trailmarathonwales.com/) in 2 weeks around Coed Y Brenin. Really looking forward to it. After that it's back to some Ironman events. 

Have you and Louise considered some Parkrun's as 'test' runs? We have loads around Manchester. I use Platt Fields (South Manchester Parkrun) as a test run to see where I'm at. Wythenshawe would be a good option for yourself. Jog there, hard Parkrun, jog back. Quality Saturday morning workout.

• Options
    Hi Gary, thanks for popping in.

I can certainly feel myself getting stronger now as you say keep it consistent and I will improve all the time.

Trail marathon hey, sound pretty good that and the scenery will be good. I will never be in that league but there again I said I would struggle to do 5km. You certainly keep the interest going with your events.

Park runs, I have done wythenshawe park before, it is quite good but on grass is tough going. Still enjoyable though and is Maybe 3km from home.
  • Options

You don't know what your capable of until you've trained consistently for a while. Just enjoy being significantly fitter than you were, get the weight down to something sensible and be consistent!

I've seen 75 year old's cross the finish line of an Ironman. Don't limit yourself!

It's about being the best you can be, within your time available, fitting stuff in around family and kids and around work.

"If you say you can, you're probably right! If you say you can't, you're probably right!" 

• Options

New paces tonight for the LSR.

Have to say i felt all the crap food i have been eating these last 2 days. I was puffing and panting all the way round, but i kept the pace up and completed it. Another nice run ticked off.

Felt like a tempo run to be honest, i was having to push to keep the pace up, but that i feel is due to drink and poor food over the weekend. Happy i did this run the improvements are showing through, but a long way to go to get my PBs. Next run Wednesday image

Gary i felt 75 whilst running tonight lol.

• Options

JJ, just looked at your splits - you could have run it slightly slower - pace range is up to 6:45 and you averaged 6:31 so after two days of eating badly go for the slower end of the range...ah too late...image

I was a bit like that yesterday myself.

• Options

Yeah i am aiming to push myself to run the LSRs at 6.30 if possible, i remember when i was struggling to do 16km LSR at 7.30 and was dying at 12km hehehe.

• Options

Hamstring sore again this morning but with a smaller run on Wednesday i will be fine, just keeping you posted.

Still feel a little off colour this morning, must be fighting some bug off or something. Hope it isn't man flu, i would be ill for months !!!

• Options
    Well not good, I walked into a desk at home in the office and stubbed my little toe. Not sure if bruised or broken. No running at present at least for a few days, I can't even walk properly. I will keep you posted over the next couple of days.
  • Options

Bruised i think.

• Options
    Still bad today I hope it isn't broke but no way I can run on it. Will keep you posted. It is a little itchy today so hope it is bruised.
  • Options
    Ok - a few days rest not the end if the world. Do core and strength work instead.
  • Options
    Yup will do and it is good weather so all being well I will get out on the bike tonight.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Can I ask a genuine question? I notice that your long run each week appears to make up 50% of your total weekly mileage. All training guides that I have ever read suggest your long run shouldn't make up more than about 25-30% of your weekly mileage. I notice you say that you can't fit in more than 3 runs per week, so I suppose that partly explains it, but I do wonder if you would see more progress from a more balanced weekly program? Are you too tired after the weekly long run to do your faster session full justice?

Hope the toe feels better soon!

• Options

Hi Andrew, first of all thanks for your interest and reading the thread.

Having just completed my first marathon, i find the long slow run quite easy, although we have now increased the paces and it is a little tougher and the last 16km one i did was just about right for me on the new paces. I don't feel burnt out as i seem to recover quickly from my runs and usually run LSR on Sunday and then my midweek run Wednesday, giving me rest. What i do however is report any niggles so that we can keep check of things just case i get more niggles that i should have, then if so we step back.

The mid week shorter runs were getting quite easy a couple of weeks back and so again paces have increased to counter this. Reporting back to LG will allow her to adjust as we go, something which this week had been done, until damaged my toe.

I wish i could do 4 runs a week, something I know that LG is keen for me to do, but family life would suffer too much for me and this still does remain a hobby not my life.

However i do try to go swimming once a week, when i am not running that day, but now it is warmer the bike may take over again - as it is free.

Overall I like to do varied events, 10km, half marathon and full marathon, and so the training is to improve overall rather than for one type of event.

That may give you more of an insight into what we are doing. Since this program started I can tell i have massively improved, particularly since getting back in to training following the marathon (something i never thought i would ever be able to achieve).

However we will always look at options and any recommendations will be considered, perhaps you have something in mind Andrew? This is essentially what the forum is for, bringing people and ideas together.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi John,

I suppose it is all about maximising the time you have available and marrying that  with your aspirations in terms of races. Personally I wouldn't aim to be trying to cover almost all bases (10k up to marathon) in one standard training plan. I would look at periodising my training eg. base training during winter, introducing HM specific stuff in spring, maybe then cutting back mileage but increasing speed work over the summer to target shorter races, then more HM or marathon specific stuff in autumn). Hence if I wasn't planning on racing longer than 10k for a few months I would cut my long run back to maybe 7 or 8 miles but introduce two weekly speed sessions, supported by a couple of other medium length easy paced runs.

As for weekly balance, if I was doing a long run of 12+ miles I would want a weekly mileage of 40-50 miles to support this, spread over maybe 5 runs.

Likewise, if I could only get out for 3 runs a week I would probably aim to do one 7 mile run, one 5 mile run incorporating tempo paced running and one 4 or 5 mile run incorporating intervals. I think the FIRST training plan seems to stack up a bit like this.

I would personally ditch the swimming/cycling too in favour of another easy run, but that is just me - a lot of people advocate the benefits of cross-training.

Anyway, I am by no means an expert and you and LG seem to be putting together a plan which suits you and your available time etc, so please feel free to take what I have said with a pinch of salt! image