Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

All positive Andrew, thanks.

I would agree with you regarding the runs, at present we have just started speed work for a 10km in July. We will then switch to 1/2m training for GNR and then yes winter is base training for the marathon before pushing the distance out.

The swimming is usually lunch times at work, no showers for running. Cycling for fun and a change.

Two speed runs (tempo and intervals) could be considered instead of an easy+tempo/intervals. Would be nice to have easy, tempo and intervals if i had time.

Thanks Andrew.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

No probs - good luck with it and I'll keep an eye out here to see how your 10k in July goes image

• Options
    One hour of road cycling done. Next run is looking like Monday shall I just pick up with the LSR and run this weeks programme next week?
  • Options

Well this is not good, my toe has not improved at all the last few days. It is not swollen or bruised but hurts like hell when walking with no shoes on.

A definate unscheduled injury this.

I will keep you posted of developments, it might be time to strap my toe to the next one just in case to give it some support.

• Options

JJ, strapping sounds good.  Ice, ibobrufen fgel maybe?  Stick with the gym / bike sessions so long. 

• Options

Feeling a little better today, not good enough to run on yet, but i can feel the improvement finally.

• Options
    Hope to run Wednesday but will keep it short and slow to check out the toe, 3 to 5 km easy jog health check.
  • Options

Went for a little jog-et tonight to see how the toe is. Ran 1.5km and i could feel it but not too much (definate bruise not broken thank god).

Walked for a bit to see if any reaction then jogged home. It feels ok, i can still tell it is bruised, but provided i get no reaction tonight and tomorrow i will be ok to run again perhaps to start with though an easy run on Friday and see how that goes. If good i will attempt a LSR sunday and then we can go again with the plan.

Can you please let me know what plan i should start with or shall i just pick up where we left off as i have only missed a week.

• Options
    JJ, pick up from where you left off
  • Options

8km done, unfortunately too fast, but very consistent. It seemed a natural pace to run at. I need to slow more on these easy runs but i feel comfy at that pace.

6.00 to 6.15 is my target for the next easy run.

The plan i am picking from is as below then:-

1 x 8k easy - Done

20k LSR - Sunday

1 x intervals.  1.5k warm up (that'll be standard).  Then 5 x 1.5 at 5:45 - 6:00 pace with 60 sec jog between.  Walk only if you have to.  1.5 cool off.  Total is about 11+k - Wednesday.

• Options
    Ok JJ - SLOW on the long run, and then work hard on the intervals please
  • Options
    Yup definately, slow at 6,30 to 6.45.

Intervals is probably the most important now with the 10km coming up.

Toe is ok but a little tender but more of a nuisance really than a pain. So won't hinder me.

I was glad to out running, and I felt good. Looking forward to picking it back now.
  • Options
    Slow is 6:45 not 6:30
  • Options
  • Options

20km LSR done, i think you will like the times on it. 18km I was struggling but hung on for the 20 albeit slightly slower for these 2km.

Legs feel quite achy now, even an hour or so afterwards. A good work out. 

Dehydration definately hit me (hence the aching probably). I was not hydrated before the run and took nothing during the run. I tend not to drink on long runs, unless 20km+.

So i have my interval run on Wednesday, but could i please ask you to give me the weeks plan including the friday run and the LSR for next week please.

How is your running going. You have been quiet about it, are you back to normal now, how is the injury, are you able to manage it ok going forward? And when are you racing, i still owe you a sponsorship.

• Options

JJ, yes - good pace. 

Wednesday intervals this week are as you say above - this should be done with max effort.

For the rest of the week - a reasonably challenging tempo; warm up 1.5, then 6k at just on 6:00 per k, then 1.5 cool off.  Push more in the middle if you feel you can.

LSR this week is SLOW 16k.

Sore core work would be good!

• Options

As for me... well I am up to 22k LSR but my legs are pretty tired at the end of that.  I am alternating the LSR with a reasonably challenging (for me) hills session, and for the rest a mix-up of 2 minute sprint sessions and easy, depending where I am and what the surface is - trying to avoid too much hard roads work.  I get to the gym 2/3 times a week and there I do ergo sessions or core / weights, so my cardio is good, it's all about stamina now.

I'm hoping to do the Marlow Half - 1 November - and will probably look for a 10k / other half before that as well.  Nothing booked yet.

• Options

Sounds good,

I wish i had time for the gym but i just don't / don't enjoy it either (had previous back issues with pulled muscles). I do some weights at home maybe twice a week but that is only free weights on my arms, not to the level you will be working at.

Core work I do a little as well, but again not to your level. Although I don't seem to suffer on long runs, my back doesn't ache and I don't tend to get problems, just the glute niggle a few months back.

Swim or bike tomorrow for me, I do like the swimming but at £3.60 a go it builds up, but not a major issue (just had a rather substantial pay rise as well hehehe).

Let me know when you book an event. And if you want to meet up again if your bored in Manchester let me know.

• Options

Not quite sure how to comment on the repeat run.

First off I did the Dads 100m race at my youngests sports day yesterday and strained my knee and groin. Was going to not run tonight to give it time to ease off as not pulled just strained. Anyway decided to run as I have missed a few due to my toe and felt you might think i was making excuses !!! Ran 200m and nearly went home. Decided to run at LSR pace for 8km but it eased so went for it (at the moment no issues so fingers crossed for tomorrow).

So of i went and by the looks of it the first repeat was ok and so was the second. As for the third and fourth, it appears as though i thought i was Usain Bolt.

I jogged the first break and jog/walked the second and walked the third and fourth.

But i finished the repeats.

So difficult to pace it, i really struggled with it. 5.17 for a km is not even close to 5.45, but it wasnt that i simply ran too fast, i just couldnt pace it correctly.

As for the Toe, well OUCH, that is not improving but it is ok running on. Probably is broken to be honest, if bruised it should be ok now. More of a nuisance than an actual pain so i will just carry on and no doubt it will mend in time lol.

• Options

JJ, yes, you ran a bit too hard for the 3rd and 4th; no worries, it comes with practice.

Hope the various injuries ease off

• Options
    Massage booked for tomorrow to easy my legs.
  • Options

Massage done, so not running tonight to let the muscles ease. It HURT with a capital H.

• Options

9km Tempo done, with some increased speed in the middle. Did quite well considering it was very warm and humid out there.

• Options

That has to be the worst run of my life.

I was supposed to do 16km LSR and I made 11km before i started to struggle.

My feet hurt, my legs hurt, my mouth and throat were dry, i just could not run.

I tried a walk to then run again but i just couldnt do it. Ended up walking home from about 2 km out at a very slow pace. i even thought of getting into a taxi.

Sat down now and my legs are on fire.

PATHETIC.

Looking forward what is the plan for the week please, bearing in mind the above and my 10km race on the 12th July.

• Options

Hi JJ - yes that does look pretty rough!

I presume you are taking today as a rest day image

Next session is hill repeats - 2k warm up, then 8 x up the hill hard and down gently, followed by 1 - 2k cool off.  Total should be 9-10k.

8k easy

12k LSR

Then next week is quite gentle, taking you up to race day with just two sessions, which I'll give details of later this week.

• Options

6am - bloody hell !!!

Yeah rough doesn't even start to describe it.

So the hill is to be about 400m long by my calculations. The steep hill (375m) or the more shallow hill (415m)? I am thinking the steeper hill unless you say otherwise.

Thanks.

• Options

Well i managed the repeats. 

Due to the weather i chose the more shallower hill this time around to make sure i was going to be able to complete the exercise.

Managed to do it without stopping, apart from maybe 10 - 15 seconds walk when i came to a stop and turn around to run down the hill.

Worked out at 8.5km, but the cool down i cut short by 500m as i was almost home, it was hot and wanted to walk the final bit.

Much better than my last failed run lol.

• Options

By the way, i was looking at some mararthon videos tonight and found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazQXTqug1M

you can see me at 4 mins 20 seconds, blue top with a gel belt and my tat on the right arm. DAMN I STILL LOOK FAT. Imagine me 2 years ago !!!

This was at 9 miles, i wasnt struggling, but it looks like i was, my running style looks shocking at that speed I think.

• Options

8km done, chaffing between the legs - ouchy lol.

Not wearing the HRM at the moment, due to it being too hot and it rubbing.

All good, on my new shoes that I didnt wear at the marathon as the others have gone now.