Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options
    Managed 11km today didn't get time for more but at least it is something.
  • Options
    Managed a hill run today, unfortunately the hill was not that long but it was steep. Did 1.5km warm up and then 12 hill repeats with no stopping, plus a 1km cool down approx.

Not the best hills session but at least it was a session. I should be able to get 10km in on Friday and my LSR at home on Sunday.
  • Options

Data uploaded from the hols. Nothing to write home about to be honest. It was pretty poor in fact. Nothing really structured, and i kept stopping looking at the sea. Also i have not drank proper liquids for a week now (only cider and red wine). So today is hydrate for tomorrows long run. I just hope I can complete it ok, but should be ok with plenty of water today.

The positive is that at least I got some runs in and kept going rather than doing nothing. The downside i have put 6lbs on in weight. The diet is in full flow.

• Options

Enjoyed my 18km today, it was a good confidence booster, as i felt as though i had lost all momentum during the holiday.

Felt very good today, could have pushed on but obviously didnt and at the end i was getting a little tired.

If i can build up my LSR at that pace i will be a good place for the marathon in April 2016.

It is amazing how 2 days of water and good food make such a difference and maybe running on familiar ground also helps.

Ready for this weeks runs now.

I feel a PB for the GNR is possible as 6.03 is the pace i need to beat to get it, to get sub 2:09:38. I reckon i can get 2 mins off this time this time around, which will be some 30 mins faster than last year !!!

• Options

Hi JJ, having trained and completed the marathon will put you in a good place for a GNR PB.  noticed that you have done a hill session a few of those and you will breeze your half PB.

keep up the good work. image

• Options

Thanks Pete, i will be doing the Marathon again next year, what about you?

Definately feel the benefit of marathon training.

• Options

Hi JJ, I am planning to book the Hamburg marathon next weekend when I get paid.  (which is the 17th April)

I am only three weeks back running after Manchester which I ran (jogged) injured and in truth never though I would run again as my knees were horrendously swollen after finishing. the year before when I did Manchester I had stomach problems on the day so I guess Manchester is 'not meant to be' for me!!

I did Dublin last year too and enjoyed the travelling abroad and am looking forward to doing the same with Hamburg. 

I will be popping into the Manchester 2016 thread to keep up to date with the regulars tho.  image

• Options
    Shame about the legs that sounds bad and only back for 3 weeks ouch. At least your back now though and good luck with Hamburg.

Looking forward to the thread again, but not the long runs hehe. This time though I will have more confidence.

Speak soon and thanks for popping in to say hello.
  • Options

Wasnt quite sure what to do this week, so looked back at last weeks schedule and decided on a 10km easy.

Managed this to be honest quite easy with extremely consistent timing.

If you are able to post the plan for the remainder of this week please do, if you are not available I will run last weeks interval plan, followed by a LSR of 18km.

• Options

JJ, sorry, was swamped this week at work.

Yes do last week's interval session and 18k LSR.

Then next week you have 10k easy, Hills (12x up hard down easy, total should be around 11-12k), then 16k LSR

• Options
    Thanks LG, glad you haven't deserted me.

No worries, hope work has eased off a little for you now.

Feeling good at the moment, but tough one tonigh so will be interesting. Have a good weekend.
  • Options

An enjoyable run tonight in nice weather.

Not sure that my brain was working correctly as i lost all perception of distance, i could not add up 1.3km and then 200m lol. So i think i couple of runs were a little short but not by much.

Surprising myself at the moment at what i can achieve.

• Options

Probably the hottest ever conditions for running in.

I decided to run at a speed i felt comfortable with rather than try to get my target time. I had no liquid with me and at 10km i dived in to a pub for a pint of water. Luckily i knew the barmade so i didnt get kicked out. 

At 14km i was struggling with the heat and by 16km i was shot. I therefore did a run walk to complete the distance.

My god it was hot. I am so sun burnt. Crazy heat.

• Options

Hi JJ, school boy error that, I ran in  the heat yesterday before going to united. very hot but was fine. you need to get yourself  one of these:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ulp19/ultimate-performance-ribble-bottle-belt/

sits around the waist very comfortably.  decathlon (just off the motorway at stockport) do there own, cheaper than the above about 6 quid if I remember rightly.

• Options

Yeah i need something, it was just so hot today, says on my watch 19 degrees but i am burnt to a frazzle lol

• Options

Hill repeats done, did 11 repeats purely because i lost count of how many i did.

It was good, I worked hard and jogged some downhills and walked some as well. 

The training is working well, it is just at the right level for me at present pushing me nicely.

• Options

Caught up with your progress eventually.

Been busy with University studies, done another marathon, and got round my latest Ironman Triathlon, so not had much time.

What half marathon are you doing and when?

Gary 

• Options

Hi Gary, how is it going? How did the marathon go, As for the Ironman Triathlon you are crazy, was that the one around Pennington Flash a few weeks ago? 

The half marathon is the Great North Run, i am going to give Mo a run for his money this year, by only being 1 hour behind him and not 1 hour 30 mins this year hehehe.

Well last year was my first half marathon and I did it in 2 hours 27 mins, did Oulton as training for the Manchester Marathon in 2 hours 9 mins. Hoping for sub 2 hours, but i think 1 hour 5 mins is more realistic, but the crowds also slow you down so we will have to see.

Certainly i am feeling good at the moment, i just wish i could get the aches out of the arches from my feet, may need a podiatrist perhaps but we will see. Nothing which will stop me running.

I will be doing Manchester again in April and hoping to go sub 4 hours 30 mins, but that is a long way down the road and again we will see where training takes me.

What is your next race?

• Options

The marathon was hard, hardest one I have done. It was the Salomon Trail Wales, trail marathon around Coed Y Brenin. To say it was hilly is an understatement. It took me 4:00 hrs (I did Manchester in 2:56).

The 'ironman' was called Outlaw. Not an ironman branded event, but the same distances for a fraction of the price. Not particularly bike or swim fit this year, but managed to get round with splits of.......2.4 mile swim - 1:09, 112 mile bike - 6:06, 26.2 mile run - 3:52. With transition time included finished in 11:18:21. Nowhere near my best, but the best I could manage on the day.

Next event is Challenge Weymouth (another 'ironman') on 13th Sept. This time with a sea swim. 

Not doing Manchester marathon next time. Going to target London for a change (and not do Manchester the week before) and set a big PB hopefully.......high 2:40s would be realistic.

You seem to be making good progress and Louise is adding in additional sessions that will speed you up. Unfortunately, the only way to get quicker on race day is to run quicker in training.

Keep up the good work. 

• Options

JJ - the under-arch aches - use a tennis ball and roll it around on the floor with your feet to massage the undersoles.  Also, more calf stretching will help.

• Options
    Calf is tight at the moment, I can feel it pulling sometimes when I stretch out whilst sat down. Full leg massage time I have been thinking. With you putting the two together I need this massage soon I think.

Running later before going out for my wedding anniversary meal.

Gary, you are simply mad lol. As for training faster yeah we have increased my speeds and I can feel the difference already. All is going well and pushing on nicely but steadily to avoid silly injuries. That is why I give feedback on my runs so we can monitor how close I am to blowing up hehe. All good at the moment though. I will get my balls out later and rub my feet on them - so to speak lmao
  • Options

Too fast 10km Easy run at 5.46 (my sprint repeats used to be at this speed lol).

However it is our wedding anniversary today and we are going out for a meal so at least i burnt some extra calories.

It felt good though, provided I dont end up upsetting my 16km LSR on Sunday. 

• Options

JJ, you'll be fine. 

This week  -

Intervals - 1.5 warm up, 5x1500m plus 200m walk / jog + 1.5 cool down (11.5 total).  The 1500m should be at 5:15 pace.

10k easy

18k LSR

• Options

yikes that 5 x 1500 at 5.15 looks tough, should be interesting one this one. If i can get through that i will be delighted.

Ready for my 16km tomorrow image

• Options

16km done, how the watch says 17 degrees i will never know, it was boiling out there. Wore my cap and it soaked up that much sweat, it started to drop off the peak every 5 seconds. Disgusting i know, but it happened lol.

I think my running is in a good place at the moment.

The race is a tough call, if hot, i will struggle to get a PB, but if decent weather i can have a real good go at it. Not sure i can hold out for sub 2 hours, but we will see where the race takes me. 4 Weeks to go.

• Options

OK what has happened to my running?

I feel brilliant. Did the intervals tonight and pacing was good and i felt as though if i really had to i could have squeezed another 1500m repeat in, albeit it would have been a little slower.

When I got home though my legs were burning, i definately used up some power. Maybe it was because the weather was perfect with a little rain and so i was cooler.

Anyway, all good and ready for Fridays run already.

The key is not to peak too soon (as i have done that before) and remain focused and injury free for the race.

Massage time I think - ouch more pain lol.

• Options

Had my massage tonight, it should help keep the injuries away.

• Options

10km Easy done, felt like i was pushing it a little, my legs were aching during the run, i expect due to last nights massage. They just felt short of energy, no big deal.

• Options

JJ, that's about the state you should be in right now, if not we are not pushing you.  Have to just monitor, it's a fine line image

• Options

Yup using all the energy, it has been a very good few weeks, i have enjoyed it.