Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

JJ - next week's 'hard' session is hills - you know what to do image

plus an easy run 10k, and LSR is 16k.  After that a bit of a taper up to race day.

How are your feet feeling - I see on another thread some advice to exercise the feet - very good idea.  Some options are -

picking things up with your toes (marbles sort of thing?)

walking backwards and forwards on your heels, ditto on your toes

ankle rotations are also good, and 'writing' your name with your toes

- and keep up the tennis / golf ball massage and calf massage.  Calf and underfoot often linked because the tendons attach in the foot.

• Options
    Morning,

Got the sessions and the taper.

Feet are better after massage, the ache is a discomfort but going to work on it, the tennis ball definately helps and exercises will hopefully help. Your advice is sound.

I hope race day is not too hot. I have my pack and coach transfers all booked. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    That 18km hurt, I went out slow due to the heat at around 7 and got to half way and felt good. Decided to go back a little quicker at 6.40 but burnt up at 14k and struggled home.

Legs have no energy, and I am sleepy now. Not helped by both myself and wife both having stomach aches. As long as we are not both pregnant we will be ok lol.

Legs to be rested now for a couple of days until hills on Wednesday.
  • Options

how are the feet getting on JJ?

• Options
    Ok Pete, still ache a little on runs but not as painful, more work needed. Did hills again tonight and was encouraged by my efforts but my legs are pretty much sapped of energy, looking forward to taper now.
  • Options

Tonights hills went well, i was shattered after the first one, but my breathing settled down and i managed all 12 with a slow jog back down rather than walking which was good. Definately not got a lot left in the legs now which from what you seem to be saying is the idea anyway.

10km easy will be interesting to see what speed i can do, i expect the lower end of the time frame but who knows i might have enough to do it at the top end. Most definately though i know i am faster than i was and my stamina is better also so come race day i hope to get a pleasing result but it wont be easy with so many runners.

• Options

All sounds to be moving in the right direction. 

Am I right in thinking the addition of some speed work is fairly new. If so, the aches and pains might be related to that. I certainly suffer when I go back to some proper speed sessions. Then my body adjusts and I feel much better. Currently trying to hang on the back of my step-sons group at Trafford AC. Some of them are 15 min 5k runners.............I'm ruined. Buts it's the only way I'm going to get quicker.

Keep up the good work.

• Options

Cheers Gary,

15mins for 5km??? fooking hell !!!

Speed work is not new, but i have not done as much as what i am doing at the moment. 

Historically, even last June, i was building distance from 10km to Half Marathon for the 2014 GNR and then the Manchester Marathon having only reached 16km ever before the GNR. So pretty much all my work has been building distance until April 2015. After a lul due to recovering from the Marathon, we built up a little speed for the Manchester 10km but that race was poor due to weather.

I had the base stamina from the last 12 months and so the last 8 weeks we have keep the distance work for a half and introduced more speed work.

Definately going in the right direction but not sure if the GNR will see a PB due to weather crowds, but i know i am capable of a PB if the conditions are right. I KNOW i am faster and really happy with the way it is going.

Back the feet though, no i have had this issue before, it is due to having feet like a duck hehehe.

• Options

Good to hear.

Do the feet exercises as suggested. Will definitely help.

Good luck with your race.

• Options

JJ, next week -

interval session is slightly shortened, with 1.5 + 1500m x 4 with 200m walk/jog 1.5 cool off (total of around 10k)

easy 8k

LSR 12k

Don't overcook the paces

• Options

YAY taper time image.

Thanks LG, getting close now. All looking good at this end, even though my legs are tired now, but the freshness will be back after taper. At least i am starting to understand the process now which is good from a mental point of view. I remember last year i was worried i had only run 16km and didnt think i would make the 21km. This year i know i will be in a place come race day.

• Options

A good LSR today, km's 4 and 13 are the stairs as usual so naturally slower as i go round and round and get no distance on the watch.

Felt good and feet were also good and nice times as well without being too fast,

• Options

Repeats done, it felt strange, running was fine, stamina fine, breathing fine, but my legs had no energy in them. I expect that is about right though as the taper is now just starting and the energy over the next 10 days will return.

Almost down to my 12 stone goal, just 2 or 3 pounds to go now. So i need to watch what i eat now as i enter taper (i remember that much image  ).

• Options

All good JJ, going well, no injury (so far...)

• Options

8km done, legs felt tight. bought a roller so will give that a good go tomorrow image

• Options

Nice easy week this week JJ, just two short runs.  One is a tempo - 1.5 warm up, 3 at 6:00 and 1.5 cool off so total 6k.  Then Thursday 5k VERY EASY.  Do NOT test your race pace!  Do not run Friday or Saturday...

Then you should be feeling pretty gooood image

Have you decided on race tactics?

• Options

Oh and by the way you have run 1000 miles in the last year image

• Options

WHAT 1,000 miles?????  Really? Bloody hell !!!

I would never have thought that. That is an acheivement in itself.

Did the 12km today very slowly, heart rate was low, and i didnt use up that much energy.

Thanks for this weeks plan.

Race tactic I was thinking about whilst running today. What I don't know is what race pace I have been training at. I know I could do probably 6km at 5.10 in one go and possibly more in a race situation (or at least I think i can). I want a PB and if I get under 2 hours i will be over the moon.

Sub 2 hours though I think will be pretty tough if impossible but a PB I think is definately on the cards if I can get a clear run.So my aim is for sub 2:09:38.

How does this sound:-

1-6km - 6:10

7-15km 5.55

16-21lm 5.45 and whatever is left to throw at it (bearing in mind the long up hill section)

That should bring me in around 2.06. But should i be pushing harder than that? Perhaps 6.00, 5.50 and 5.40? 

One thing to bear in mind that during all my training since the mararthon i have never taken any fluids on or used gels (apart from the 10km race when i took water). So that should help me quite alot as i will be using them in the race.

Do you have any projected times?

• Options
    Tempo done all good.
  • Options

Just been watching some 2014 videos of the race, going to be tough for a PB with those crowds running, but I will be giving it a good go.

• Options

Interesting regarding my feet, if feet can ever be interesting.

I seem to have developed a little nodule in the arch of each foot which is where the slight pain is coming from. As ever in these cases you look on the internet to see what the problem is. Luckily this time i am not dying of some rare incurable tropical disease!!!

However it would appear it is plantar fibrosis. The nodules apparently don't go away unless you have surgery. I am certainly not at that stage !!! however it does appear that orthotics is the answer. So sometime in the near future I will contact a podiatrist and get them looked at.

In the meantime bring on Sunday, drinking water with SIS Hydro tabs in. I don't want to be piling the water intake in the last few days but gradually build up my hydration.

Getting excited.

• Options
    JJ I would not worry too much about hydration - just make sure you drink normally. You often go on long runs without falling over!

Pacing - as always I'd start slow And speed up except if terrain is hilly; faster diene and easy up the hills. I am sure you will PB, no reason not to.

Do I have your race number?
  • Options
    There is a new thread on pacing for GNR so you might look at that too?
  • Options

34328 is my race number.

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/simple-training-forumla-would-it-work/254891-35.html 

Last years run hehehe. My god I have come along way in 12 months, with help of course. I really enjoyed reading that back though.

• Options
    Don't drink too much. Quite simply you don't need it. Plus it can make you ill.

Enjoy your race.
  • Options
    John Jenkins 8 wrote (see)

Interesting regarding my feet, if feet can ever be interesting.

I seem to have developed a little nodule in the arch of each foot which is where the slight pain is coming from. As ever in these cases you look on the internet to see what the problem is. Luckily this time i am not dying of some rare incurable tropical disease!!!

However it would appear it is plantar fibrosis. The nodules apparently don't go away unless you have surgery. I am certainly not at that stage !!! however it does appear that orthotics is the answer. So sometime in the near future I will contact a podiatrist and get them looked at.

In the meantime bring on Sunday, drinking water with SIS Hydro tabs in. I don't want to be piling the water intake in the last few days but gradually build up my hydration.

Getting excited.

Hi JJ, if you go to a podiatrist he will make you insoles and they will cost.  However, the outcome may not be successful.

See a sports physio first and get a professional opinion it could save you a lot of money.  Even if your suspicions are correct at least you will know for sure.

there are lots of good ones near us.  Didsbury has a good sports physio but I use worsley physio (aka athletes matter).

just search this forum to see how many hits come up for runners who have found their insoles did not work as expected.

I paid 250 pound for my insoles and wore them for two weeks without success. I now wear the ones I bought off the shelf which I bought as an interim measure.

• Options

Interesting Pete, i will perhaps do that.

• Options

HI JJ, I have self diagnosed a few times JJ only to find out from Alex (my sports physio) the issue is related to something different!

For my arches he has me doing a standing on toes exercise (I do the crouched version, which I linked, as it is harder) and also crunched a towel with my toes, followed by stretching and that works for me.    Your problem may be different if you have tried my exercises to no success - therefore it is worth getting a professional opinion before spending 200 bucks on an item that may not be the answer your feet require.

• Options

I have been trying to do the exercises and trying to locate the pain, it seems to be coming from the base of the foot just before the heel. As though it is slightly pulled. I am keeping up the ball rolling.

Couldnt believe it last night on the 5km easy taper run, my knee tightened up on me, not ideal, hopefully a one off, no pain today. perhaps simply because i was going slow maybe and running differently to what i have been recently.