Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options
    Still not decided on the 10km yet but my time is running out to book, what do you think?

On another note I have today confirmed the oulton half marathon in March 2016 and the Manchester marathon in April. Here we go again. Marathon training here we come, that is now my focus as the next major event.

I have suggested 4:30:00 but maybe I can do better than this who knows, 4.15 ???
  • Options

OK, repeat the 'difficult' session - try slightly slower pace this time.  Better to complete than to bomb out.  Stick with 8k easy and 18k LSR until you let me know final plans.    

• Options

Difficult session repeated and i got to the end. However i was a little off the paces you set. That again was very tough for me.

i have decided to skip the 10km run in the dark race. I will find another race perhaps, but i think this is too close to the mens health to give it full justice. 

I know i can do sub 55 and i would be desperately upset if i didnt manage it due to being tired from the obstacle run.

• Options

i've just read through this whole thread; it's fascinating, 

i know now you are wearing a HRM. I (for one) would be interested if you could maybe mention te occasional stat (average HR on your LSR, max heart rate on intervals, that type of thing.

Best of luck with the marathon!

• Options

Thanks Chris i am glad you enjoyed the thread.

I will try to remember to include some stats for you.

During the last few runs up to only 2 weeks ago i have had the following :-

LSR - ave 133 / max 146

Easy - ave 146 / max 158

Repeats - ave 145 / max 165

Hills - ave 142 / max 170

My resting HR is currently 53-55

I would like to say though that the HRM is not used to indicate my runs, it is purely for a matter of interest really. Over time i have seen my heart rate fall. I recall my resting heart rate when i started running almost 3 years ago now was 74.

• Options

8km easy done, all good.

• Options

JJ, that 18k looked a little fast for an LSR - you need to back off slightly on those and save it for the hard sessions.

Anyway - race on Saturday?  If so, just one more run before that, no later than Wednesday morning; 5k.

• Options
    Yeah I realised I was fast at about 10km but felt reL good, I hear what you say for the harder runs.

Yes race Saturday with obstacles and a team of 5 going st the slowest runners pace, which won't be me. I just need to stay injury free and enjoy swimming canals, running up travelators climbing walls and swinging on monkey bars lol.

Well done today on your run, no mean feat coming back from injury,.
  • Options

18km done today but i was too fast.

I was loving the run and only got a little tired for the last 1km.

At the start i ran what i felt was a comfortable LSR pace but clearly i was 20-30-40 seconds too fast.

I am aiming for my LSR to be at 6.30-6.45 but trying for 6.30 which is close to my probably marathon pace.

Maybe i am thinking too far ahead at this stage.

Do we need to go over my pacing again perhaps with a speed test after I have recovered from this mens health race? Or are the current paces still good and i need to pay more attention to them.

Nothing like being told off, i need it from time to time as you know, but in general i dont do too bad and i try to run exactly as you suggest. 

• Options

I decided to take a trip down memory lane and look at the previous training thread and comments from this time last year.

I also checked my timings on Garmin.

Some interesting things i have found, which i am sure are all on your spreadsheet.

1) I was struggling at 16km and scared but now easily comfortable at 18km.

2) Easy runs for 8km are now approx 5 mins faster.

3) Tempo runs are now my easy runs.

Overall i am in a much stronger position to progress for the marathon training. As you know i am looking at 4hrs 30mins or less, that was aim at the start of this thread. That means 6.24 pace for 42km. I think i will be able to achieve that with a good plan over the next 5-6 months.

I am joining the local gym tomorrow (£35 a month), that will give me access to the pool at lunch or weights and CV work. I intend to do 2 swims a week and one gym session. Hopefully gym on the Monday, and swims on the Tues and Thurs. So I hope to achieve the following:-

Monday - gym

Tuesday - pool

Wednesday - hard run

Thursday - pool

Friday - easier run

Saturday - free

Sunday - LSR

Whether i will achieve that i dont know but that is what i am hoping for.

• Options

I am now a gym member, with access to swimming, the gym and classes.

I have my induction on Monday following which i will book an appointment with someone to get a programme together. I DONT want massive muscles, i only want to tone, work on core and improve my overall running stance. Oh and lose 3/4 stone, as it is very slowly creeping up, although some of this is clearly muscle.

• Options

JJ, I think it is good to work on core general strength, it helps a lot on long-distance work.  I do think that you will need 4 x runs some weeks, not sure you will get the results you want on 3 x only.  We can work up towards it but I suspect best results will be if around 3 months before the event you can accommodate some extra training time for running.

• Options

I agree i will need 4 runs probably as the time approaches. 3 months before i think we should factor it in, So mid January. I will only be able to do this in the evenings and probably best for a Monday night after the LSR on the Sunday.

• Options

Ran 4km tonight, i couldnt run this morning, so cut the run down. Starting a gentle swim tomorrow.

All ready for Saturdays fun run.

• Options

First swim of the campaign done, 32 lengths. Rest now until my fun race, then we are go go go.

• Options

Yes, after that we really are go go go ...

• Options

Good luck JJ - have fun

• Options
    That was fun, really enjoyed it soaking wet muddy and cold but injury free.
  • Options

So will you race on 11th or no?  Planning to do...image

• Options
    No I will miss it now, I could do it but closed for entries now. So next event is oulton park half in March and then the April marathon.
  • Options

Ok, all set then. 

This week -

Easy 8k

Intervals - (total approx. 11k) 1.5 warm up + 1.5 x 5 @ 5:45 - 6:00 with 100m walk/jog each time then 1.5 cool off

LSR 20k

plus your gym / swim

Enjoy image

• Options
    Cheers LG, you still recovering I expect, how is two oceans training going?
  • Options

Been working away so not had time to post.

Monday - i did the induction at the gym, so i can now go and do stuff.

Tuesday - i did 36 lengths swimming at lunch time, 50% crawl / 50% breaststroke.

Wednesday - I did the repeat run and it went very well - see garmin.

Thursday - i am back to the gym to set a programme with the folks there aimed at improving running so looks like kettlebells and squats etc.

Friday - i will be doing the 8km easy.

• Options

Kettlebells and squats sounds perfect, good to hear

• Options

just got back from the gym, go a programme to follow:-

5 mins on the rower (he said no point in running lol).

kettlebells - 4g only to start with until my back loosens off.

General weights for chest and legs, with one where i lean back to work back muscles.

No squats included so i will ask about that next time as i need them.

• Options

Good, keep at it.  I had a good week, and a long run planned for Sunday (30k)

• Options

Yes that is a long run for sure, ouch, good luck, hope the rain keeps away for you. Sounds like you are going very well at the moment. 

Did the 8km (too quick) and watch and ipod ran out of power, but i did do the distance, recharging for Sundays small 20km (in comparison to your run).

Gym was good, bit sore today and hurt my back slightly swinging that kettlebell. So will watch for that.

Now it is time for chinese, and some Mr Robot (a great series to watch if you get chance).

• Options

Well that was horrible!  I'd forgotten that 2x Richmond Park is quite hard, especially with strong wind.  At least it wasn't raining.  I decided that 24k was sufficient under the circumstances!

• Options
    Well I think we have mirrored each other here, it was horrible, I managed 16.5 it was indeed horrible. At least you got 24 in there is time yet so one bad run is not a disaster.

I stopped as I was tAking my jacket off putting it on off on off and in the end it affected my legs and I felt my groin getting sore so listened to my body and stopped before injury.