Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

Merry Christmas LG.

• Options
    Same to you JJ. Just enjoy the next few days and run as you feel. Start in earnest January.
  • Options

Disaster, tried to run 20km today in accordance with the weeks programme.

Right shin cramped and i couldnt run. I have put a thread up in the injury forum to see if any one can offer any advice.

Pathetic run, will try again tomorrow i think.

• Options

A better run today, managed the full 20km. Shins tightened a little but not enough to cause a major issue. Feet and ankles though sore again. I am wondering if my new trainers are not sized right.

I am thinking of going to get a new gait analysis done and see what comes from that.

• Options

Gym session done today.

• Options

5 x 1500m repeats done and a great run it was to. Feet and shins were good. The weather on the other hand was horrendous, i came home drenched but you can only get so wet, it was quite funny really as not cold just very very wet, almost a storm hehehe.

A good end to 2015 after some poor runs recently, although i think i was too quick again by about 15 seconds per repeat.

Have a great new year and thank you once again for the commitment to helping me, it has driven me on especially in times when i have found it hard and wanted to quit. So glad i haven't, i have achieved alot this year. A PB for 10km and Half Marathon and completed my first Marathon, amazing really from the fat wasted messy blob that I was 3 years ago.

Thanks.

• Options

JJ, you are very welcome.  Are you having a couple of days rest?

• Options

I am hoping to run Sunday for a LSR, but will be drinking tonight, so that might be a tough one, i will go out and see what happens. Then can start again with the Wednesday, Friday, Sunday runs.

• Options

A cheeky 24km today, i must be mad hehehe.

Was all ok, last KM was tough going, last 3km my ankles were sore otherwise all good, took 2 gels and had one at 12km and the 2nd at 18km.

• Options
    Gym session done yesterday, swimming today, running tomorrow.

What do we have for this weeks runs?

How have you done over Christmas with your running?
  • Options

Hi JJ

I've been travelling so very erratic with training. Lots of eating.

You need to do the time trail, so try to fit that in this week, but not the day after a long run.

For 4 runs a week -

1x hills session

1x 8k easy

1 x intervals -1.5 warm up, 1 x 1k time trail. Rest for 3 minutes after TT then do 5x 1k at 6:00 pace. Cool down 1.5k.

LSR 20k 

• Options

Went swimming at lunch so no time trial tonight, i might give it a go either tomorrow or friday. After the gym last night i am feeling tired now hehehe.

Been travelling UK or SA again? You certainly seem to jet around.

• Options

Did the time trial tonight, I am not overly sure it was that impressive as the distance was over 1km and appears slower than the last time trial over 1km when i actually did 1.5km.

I am shattered at the moment, i know i need a rest, so Thursday is a no exercise day, i also feel i am getting a cold as i struggled to breath when i got home although whilst running i didnt feel anything untoward. I am slowly catching my breath lol.

That was a hard run, a very hard run but i managed it apart from the cool down which i cheated on and only did a shorter distance but then walked. 

The confusing things is, if indeed my TT was slower i know i am stronger than this time last year, but i know with the gym and the swimming my body is burnt out, Friday i am going to do the 8km easy to chill out a little, especially as i have a massage on Thursday to get some tightness out of my legs and hips (I have no injury).

What are your thoughts please.

• Options

Massage today and rest - yum yum.

• Options

8km Easy Done.

• Options

20km done on the back of 8km last night. The last 2km i struggled but all in the bank. It gives Sunday to rest and then Monday to get the 4th run of the week in being hills.

• Options

Hi JJ, that looks fine.Your heart rate drifted up a bit towards the end there, looks like fatigue.   I am back in UK so will try to work the plan this week. 

It will take a little while to get over the extra run plus other exercise, by the end of Feb you should be doing well again.

• Options
    Yes once I get used to it. Today I joined a second gym so I can go with the family at weekends. So today I did a little bit of swimming and pool running as it is a constant depth and good for my height. Did 30 minutes so all extra cross training, but was not a full swim speed just gentle swimming crawl and breast stroke with running mixed in.
  • Options

Just entered the GNR. 

So far this year i have booked :-

Oulton Park - Half

Manchester - Marathon

GNR - Half

• Options

Sore left knee from Saturdays LSR. I thought i would be ok today but it isnt right. Slight strain in it. 

This is no good as I have started to get my mojo for this and have been training in one form or another every day for a week, swim, gym, running etc but mixing it up so nothing continuous to ease the body along.

Unless there are improvements later I expect my next run is likely to be Wednesday. Intended run today, swim tomorrow, run Wednesday, gym Thursday, run Friday, Saturday rest and Sunday LSR. So we will see how it all goes, i will keep you posted.

• Options

OK JJ, no point getting injured now. 

• Options

Exactly, it is actually much better this morning and my ankle seems better as well - double bonus. So should be out to do the 4th run tonight around 8.00pm - YUK.

I will then start the next weeks plan tomorrow image 

• Options

A great hill run tonight, feeling strong, was tempted to go and do another 2 repeats but thought best not push the knee (it felt fine by the way) and i have another 4 runs to do this week including probably a longer LSR. So saved my energy.

• Options

Wasnt sure what to do tonight, bearing in mind i did hills last night...........so...........I chose to do an 8km easy with 2 x pickups. No idea why, but didnt want to do anything too strenuous but also didnt want to miss out on the run to ensure i keep the 4 runs a week.

• Options
    Had a good rest yesterday, ready for a run tonight in the cold brrrr
  • Options

A good run tonight in cold weather, the roads and pavements were really slippy, i actually stopped short 600m when i lost my footing and thought better of carrying on.

Tried to keep the pace up throughout the run after a days rest and i will be resting tomorow ahead of the LSR, which i asssume will be 26 or 28km looking back at last years plan.

Hope you are well.

• Options

Had a gentle gym session today, bit of arm weights and a little swim, nothing too strenuous.

• Options

JJ, yes 26k would be a good distance for LSR

Then next week a bit of a change -

1 x Long intervals - 1k warm up, 3k @ 5:50 - 6:00 then easy 200m x 3, cool off

1 x Easy 8k

1 x Downhills - warm up 1 - 1.5k, find a long slow downhill and run it with a reasonable pace, concentrating on your form, treading lightly.  Easy walk / jog back up, repeat for about 30 minutes, cool off.

LSR 20k

...sorry for the absence, work was a bit of a challenge for the last couple of weeks.

• Options

Phew, i know you have been busy, but i was worried. I knew you wouldn't just leave without saying goodbye, and you said you would post as back from overseas, i was genuinely worried something was wrong hehehe - i am a soft lad at heart lol.

Anyway glad your here.image, i was feeling a little lost with what to do with the runs hehe.

I was out running before you posted, so I looked at last years plan and i was in the middle of 26 and 28 km runs, so today decided to try to get to 28. I struggled at 25 but continued but then stopped at 27, i had had enough and it was freezing, which is only just over the 10% increase, so probably best anyway. Times were ok compared to last year, i took three gels and walked when i took them, obvious from the timings it was 10, 16 and 23km if i recall. 

I am all over that plan this week, with the gym and swimming, it is all coming together slowly after the Xmas stutter and eating too much. The diet has started as well, well i am eating the same but not snacking or eating chocolate as it has all gone.

How is your training going are you on course for 2 Oceans? I remember i did say i would sponsor you, so are you doing it for sponsors?

• Options

Feeling sore today, left knee is tender on the inside but nothing major, legs as a whole are shattered but i will get over that, going to rest today instead of going to the gym.