Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

new shoes arrived today.

• Options

JJ, you ran it too fast

• Options

Yeah my watch didnt start from when i ran so my time was behind, i was looking at the watch trying to chase the time not realising this. So it screwed me over.

Tonight was good in my new shoes. My legs felt straight again.

Repeat 8,9 and 10 were tough, especially 8 and 10 against the wind, but i think i did a pretty good job out there. Jogged the first 5 then walk/jog the last 5 to ensure completion.

• Options

JJ, that looks much better.  For the long run this week, the conditions will be nasty - so go easy, the point is to finish not to hurry.  Take a little walk of you need to; this is training not racing.

• Options

Next week -

Hills session (same as previous one)

11k long intervals - 1.5 warm up, then 5 x 1.5 @ 6:00 - 6:10 with 100m walk / jog, then 1.5 cool off

LSR 24, with 100m walk break every 5k

• Options

yup conditions look aweful this weekend. 

How are you doing now? Up to about 26km? Are you on target? How is the injury holding up?

• Options
    Did 30k last Sunday, so quite happy, increased to 4/5 times a week now.
  • Options

Your a machine.

• Options

20km done, the weather was fine actually, in fact almost perfect for running.

Managed to keep the timings regular around 6.50 per km, so real happy with that.

Started to feel it at 18km and the last 1km i was dreaming of my chicken dinner and a drink.

Only too one gel and no water on the run.

• Options

Welcome back sensible JJ image that looks perfect.  My weather wasn't too bad - just caught the edge of the stormy weather, gusty but I stayed dry.  I was trying to run to heart rate hence super-slow.

• Options

Well your heart rate looked pretty static there, so well done.

I didnt wear the monitor today, expecting so much rain i didnt want the chaffing, but in reality i could have worn it.

Not looking forward to 24km, i seem to have lost the will to live on these LSR, why am i finding it so difficult when i have done it all before? It seems strange or is it normal?

• Options

gym session done.

The next weeks will be awkward. This Friday is my mates wedding, and next Friday is mine and believe it or not my daughters birthday on the same day image PLus this Wednesday i am down in London Village and my eldest daughters xmas play on Wednesday night and Thursday night for the youngest.

I am going to try to shuffle the runs about a bit to try to get them all in, but i may miss a couple. Tuesday this week i am hoping to do Wednesdays run to try to get ahead.

• Options

8km hills done, i fell asleep when i got in from work, had to haul myself up to go out in the cold and rain, not easy, but glad i did. Next run probably Thursday and then the long one Sunday. Resting tomorrow.

Tonights run was good though, even though i got very wet. I felt strong enough. Not sure what happened to my heart rate on the last two or three repeats, I certainly didnt feel anything untoward, so i can only assume a blip in the readings.

• Options

JJ, I see you are back in the rhythm,

This week - 8k easy, but with a twist - 5 x 1 minute pickups - so run about 2k, then speed up for a minute, then back off again for about 3 minutes - do this 5 times then finish easy.

Intervals - 1.5k warm up, 8 x 800m + 200m walk / jog, 1.5k cool off, total 11k

LSR 24k again, with 100m walk every 5k.

• Options

Yes it felt good again tonight, although the first few km i felt flat footed.

I am feeling better now, i was suffering for 3 or 4 weeks really, i didn't feel well to be honest, i had a cold lingering but it wasn't really a cold, just felt off with cold like symptoms. Maybe the new shoes as well have helped.

The run tonight was good, and i felt good even at the end.

Not looking forward to 24km on sunday though lol.

8km easy, how fast is the pickup? 5.30 pace?

• Options

The pickup is at a pace you can hold for a minute without having to walk at the end of it - whatever feels right.

• Options

That was cold and wet.

Managed the 24km with legs and breathing being good, but the bottoms of my feet definately hindered me.

I took it slow, maybe too slow, but not massively slow, you may say it was about right though, certainly i felt in control.

The 23km i got stuck at some traffic lights, hence it was very slow.

If only my feet were good, that would have  been quite a nice run. started to feel tired at 22km but managed to keep my shape.

• Options

I am sure you have your spreadsheet, but from my garmin results i am 4km further on than this time last year and with a slighter faster pace as well, despite feeling like i was going slow today.

My feet worry me though, but hopefully the increased mileage will help them and i will get used to it.

• Options
    JJ, stop trying to go faster!
  • Options

I wasn't, i dont think, i thought the pace was right, i just thought might think i was slow, but it felt right for me.

• Options
    My legs feel very tired this morning, I can only assume they have benefit well from yesterday. I was going to go to the gym today but that may have to be put on hold lol
  • Options

JJ, the pace was spot on for the long run, I meant you need to stop worrying about whether you are running training runs faster and faster, that's not important at the moment.  The key is not being injured and gradually building up, and that is going just fine right now.

Go to the gym!  - Do core work.

• Options
    I brought my swimming stuff with me, so it is going to be a 40 min swim session.

Whilst my legs are tired I am certainly injury free at present.

My birthday Friday (46) so I will celebrate with a day off work and an afternoon run woohoo
  • Options

Shocking run really.

Shins cramped up (so had to stop twice to try to stretch them out) and got stuck by traffic in rush hour twice.

Breathing was fine.

I am wondering if the new shoes are not quite as well fitting as they should be perhaps as again i was running flat footed. Not sure if running this was a shins were sore, if my shins got sore because of running flat footed.

On to Fridays run and my BIRTHDAY !!!

• Options

Put my old inserts into my new shoes, i have always worn them so that could be a reason why i dont feel i am running right. Hopefully sort out the flat duck feet lol.

• Options

A little shin cramp again today but not as bad.

Overall a great run, i managed the full run but with walking, no way could i jog the 200m, however my 800m repeats were pretty good i think and i managed all of them being shattered at the last one. Shattered as in my legs wouldn't move quick enough to keep me going at the repeat pace, but my breathing was right where i think needed to be. A very tough run overall but a good one.

A question really now as we approach Christmas. How am i doing with the plan you have set, and what are we aiming for at present as in targets perhaps in the short, medium and long term up the marathon?

• Options

Happy birthday JJ.

I'll come back to you on the plan tomorrow, tied up with work today

• Options

JJ, next week -

Hills (total approx. 8k)

Intervals 1.5 + 1.5 x 5 @ 6:00 - 6:10 with 100m walk/jog 1.5 cool off (11k total)

LSR 20k

You are doing fine at the moment, I presume a bit of disruption over Christmas / New Year, and I'd suggest a time trial mid January to set paces for the next cycle.  Keep going to the gym for the strength work though, the running alone is not going to be enough to make much impact on your marathon time.  I think from mid January on it needs to be 4x per week for about 8 weeks, if you can organise things that way?

My 20k this morning was rubbish by the way.  I too need new shoes, my feet were really sore.

• Options

Luckily i have not been disrupted these last 2 weeks where i thought i would have been. Christmas yes may well be some disruption but we will see. Friday night i had a impromptu training session dancing to trance music none stop for 3 hours in a hot venue.

Todays run was quite good, felt quite good until 22.5km, then i felt it. My feet were the problem not my legs or breathing.But they are ok again now a few hours later. Seems like we are both having the same problem with our feet. I put my inner soles back in on top of the normal ones and it gave me more cushioning with the stability and stopped the flat footedness (is that a new word?). Ankles are a little sore but they have not settled down from my old shoes yet.

Nice to have 20km over Christmas image

Yes seems like 4 runs a week is needed am i assuming a recovery run on a Monday? If so i can factor this in for 8 weeks.

Marathon time I would love 4:29:59 but i do feel this will be very tough for me, but has to be my goal, but happy with 4.44:59 if i have to.

Time trial in January could be interesting with the repeats i have been doing. I feel much stronger on these now.

Please don't leave your shoes until too late like i did. It has hurt my ankles a lot but they will calm down slowly. You need to be injury free for March is it? And you have a LONG way to run, hell i could never do that. You are certainly putting in the gym work i have seen that is for sure.

My focus after Aprils Marathon is going to be to leave marathons alone I think, first attempt at getting round in 2015, second attempt at trying to beat my time in 2016. Then I will focus on 10km and halfs to keep myself fit and see where i can get to, i think by focusing it will give me a better chance to achieve my goals. I have my personal targets of Sub 52.30 for 10km (sub 50 if i ever get quick enough) and sub 2 hours for a half. That will take some doing I know, but I am up for the personal challenge.