Options

Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• Options

JJ, pretty sure you are not overtraining at this stage.  Elevated resting heart rate is an early warning sign.

Now get back to work.

• Options

Did the 60 mins increasing speed run last night and this morning i was up early for a sports massage. Rest day now.

• Options

JJ, this week -

Easy 8 with 6 x 1 min pickups

1500m repeats - 1.5k warm up then 4x1500m at 5:45 with 60 seconds recovery walk in between, + cool off takes you to about 9k

Easy 6k

LSR 16, run at LSR pace but increase speed for the last 3k to proposed half mara race pace

• Options

Thanks LG.

I was full of running today, took one gel at 10km for the return journey. Decided to go a little quicker for the last Km for giggles as I was going well. Time wise similar to the same run last year, well 4 seconds a km slower, but the difference in fitness between the two runs has no comparison. I remember last years run, it was very cold and wet and i was with two faster people pulling me along, so it was not my real pace that run. Really happy with todays run, it felt good. After taper i will be going for a PB at Oulton, so need to get under 2:08. I will be working on a time for 2:05 and see how it goes, if badly i have cushion, if good i can have a crack at sub 2, but that is going to be very very hard, i think sub 2:05 is possibly my aim.

So your marathon, i didnt know you were doing this, warm up for 2 Oceans? I see the route was hard as you say, some inclines there and not the best course by the looks of it. I bet a year ago you never thought you would do another marathon with the injury, so a BIG well done. Take a little rest now image

• Options

Been thinking about my Half Marathon race pace, i am thinking 5.55 per km, that will get just under 2:05, a PB by 3 minutes. If i have anything left at the end i could get that time down. Ambitious I think, but achievable. What do you think?

• Options

Swim done today, all crawl as well, getting stronger. Gym at 5.00pm to come as well.

Training madness lol.

• Options

A good work out tonight with the 8km with 6 pickups. Legs aching now. I will be cutting down on Thursday, instead of swimming and gym i will just do one and then next week none.

• Options

ooops fell asleep in the chair and woke up and really couldnt be bothered running tonight, i am just too tired. Soooooooo I will rest tonight instead of Thursday meaning i have to run Thursday and Friday haha I will regret this tomorrow.

• Options

Your half mara - I think you could PB, but would aim for comfortable first 11k, then pick up pace for 5k, then flat out last 5k.  You are much stronger than you were a year ago.

• Options

It would be nice to PB, that is what i aiming for, but it is a tough course and not my main focus at the moment, but i WILL be trying for one.

I am glad i didnt run last night, i could tell i didnt feel right yet tonight was up for it and did the 1500 repeats, albeit i think a little too fast, i just cant pace 5.45 but i did good all the same. 

I will be doing my 6km easy on Friday and the 16km LSR on Sunday. Then I guess we are well in to the taper leading up to the race a week on Sunday. What will be the plan for the midweek runs? Slightly less strenuous i assume but not a full taper?

• Options

Disaster struck last night, my back went on me and i couldnt move, i was in agony and called 111. Not alot they could do. Anyway managed to get back to sleep and turned over to a crunch in my back. And bingo it was fixed lol. The muscle or something must have got caught and released.

Anyway today a little tender but nothing major. Scare over, but i thought it was going to be a week off. Instead i should be ok to do my LSR on Sunday - phew.

• Options

Careful - watch out for that one in the gym - gentle stretching of back as well as legs recommended.

• Options

OK JJ this week -

Easy with pickups (total 8k)

Easy 6 - really, do this easy, don't push.

25 - 26 Feb REST or swim, don't run.

27 Feb - warm up 1.5, then 4 x strides, 1k cool off.  Total around 3k.

28 Feb - race.

• Options

Thanks Louise,

I will run Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and the race Sunday. 

I will refrain from the gym and swimming this week and rest bearing in mind my back.

• Options

Data hasnt sync'd yet, but not the best run today. I felt sick from the start and needed a Paula Radcliffe after 2km but ran to the end stupidly as the pubs were closed. Also i dont think the numerous ibruprofen will have helped over the last few days. 

So when i got the speed up section i struggled, although i really felt like i could go faster for the whole run, but body wouldnt let me. I didnt manage the 3km at 6.00 pace which is a little upsetting but i am not beating myself up too much as i know i felt good and it was outside influences affecting my running.

The good news is my back was fine.

• Options
    Back to my normal self for the 8km with 6 pickups. All good. Thinking about the race now and assessing my plan. I am thinking 6.10 to 6.20 start pace and building up as I go as you suggested.
  • Options

6km easy done.

• Options

3km done with some little strides. Bag packed and ready to go tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Options

Well i wasnt sure how this race was going to go to be honest. I have felt really strong in training but had a couple of bad runs, not least the recent 16km taper run.

I started to make sure i was hydrated mid week and had some good carb intake the last few days and i felt really bright. I dont think i have been hydrating properly recently.

I intended to run at 6.10-6.20 early on but the first few km were seeing me around 6.00 to 6.05, so i decided to steady myself out and keep the pace going. I was running comfortably especially after the first couple of kms once i got into my stride. The hill that killed me last year was still tough but everytime i hit i pushed hard to keep my pace up remembering my hill runs. 

At 2 laps i took my first gel with caffeine, and it felt great as i usually dont run with them very often or only take a limited amount. i was on top of my energy. 

Half way came and went and i was feeling really good and the time was coming down to a stead 6.00 to 6.03 and i was aiming for 6.04 with the last few laps pushing it to beat my previous best.

4 laps in and another gel, i was good but starting to feel like i was running hard, i had no problems keeping the pace up but i had to remind myself i was racing and not training and so kept pushing to keep my time up. 5.58 to 6.00 and i knew a PB was coming.

Last lap i pushed it harder, so from 17.5 km in and it felt good still although i was not going quicker i was holding the pace nicely and could see the time start to drop to 5.56, The last stint and i pushed myself without blowing up and the time started to fall to an average of 5.53 by the finish. i came down the finishing straight pretty tied but my legs were good and strong, they certainly felt like they could carry on, although my breathing didnt, which is how i want it.

I ran what i consider to be my best race, i was in control the whole race, my pacing was perfect, my energy was perfect and i was very happy. 

A new PB by some huge amount i think, and the signs are good for the Marathon, but still 6 weeks to go and some long runs which i need to stay injury free on.

Gym is out at the moment, my back is not strong enough for that, but with some careful planning these next few weeks i think 4hours 30 to 4 hours 45 is definately possibly, i am thinking 4hours 44 is about where i will come in, but with these last few weeks i might go with the 4:30 pacer rather than the 4.45 pacer, we will see what happens.

Thanks again for your dedicated help and support, the training plan has been great, i felt a stutter at xmas in my ability, but it has clearly seen me through to a great result. I swear only possible with your help otherwise i would be nowhere to be honest.

• Options

Great result JJ, you did all the work - and got the reward.  Enjoy a day off image then a 30 minute easy.  I'll post the rest of the week soon.  Just one question - do you want to do 1 more 20 miler before the marathon, or longer?  Up to you but I need to know soon as it will affect the next couple of days. 

• Options

I dont want to run ever again to be honest LMAO.

In all seriousness i need to run longer yet i feel, only did the 28km and feel that two more longer runs are needed for both stamina building and confidence. I was thinking a 30km and 32km as we have 6 weeks to go today.

On a plus point i have recovered well today, i feel quite good considering, but eating like a horse lol.

• Options
  • Options

30 mins run done tonight, it was tough on the legs, it felt like i had no suspension lol, but it will get them moving nicely ready for the next proper run.

1st Km the watch didnt record correctly.

• Options

JJ, next run should be 8k easy, then one of those graduated with 3k at LSR pace, then 3k 30 sec faster and last 3k at LSR - 60 sec.

If you want to push the 2 long runs I suggest this weekend go for 28k with walk breaks 2 mins every 20 mins - I don't really think you should go further this week. That'll be close to 3 hours.  Next weekend we'll do a big increase to 35k (also with some breaks - that'll be close to 44 hours potentially), as a one-off, then you'll start to taper.  I know you want to do the long distance, but the benefit is much more psychological than physical at this stage.

• Options

Sounds good, i agree it is more psycological with me for the long run. I know i am strong and that half at the weekend really gave me confidence.

Agree that distance wise it will be better to keep at 28km this week, dont want to risk injury at this stage. 

I have a photo of me at the finishing line that was put up today and by god i looked fresh, whereas previously i have been dead on my feet. So all is good. That 35km will be a good test with walks in it and then i will be ready.

I will report back on my runs this week and keep you posted. We are at the business end now image

• Options

JJ, I had a relook this morning - actually we have an ok build up - 28 this week, then 32, then 35, before taper image

• Options