Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Pistol PM me-I have the last one, so you must be on it.

• Options
    Wendy DIBBLE wrote (see)
    Tired legs lovely to meet you too. Should have perhaps asked if I could tag along! My biggest problem .... Aside from being so slow .... Is the loneliness of all the hours on your own.

Wendy you should have-I ran with RunClaire and EHN until 41KM. I had no more in me then until 200 metres before the finish-but those 2 got me through miles 23-25! Come back next year and run with us!

• Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

Tired Legs - saying you don't accept private messages! I'm pdickenson@gmail.com

• Options
    LoubellaLoubella ✭✭✭
    Have just signed up for the Yorkshire marathon in October in an attempt to recover something from all this training image

Any chance anyone could pm me the last photo from the race morning as well, it was such a great day that I'd like to keep the memories (I'm laughing at how quickly I've forgotton how terrible it all was!!)
  • Options
    Pistol101 wrote (see)

Tired Legs - saying you don't accept private messages! I'm pdickenson@gmail.com

Not sure why it says that but have emailed it to you. image

• Options

Instead of PM'ing the race morning photos just get them posted up on here for all to see please. Nobody on here is that shy are they?

I have yet to see any of the morning meet up photos at the Arc yet too, but I am sure that it will only be a matter of time.  Hoping too that some who I didn't get to speak to personally, or that others who I did briefly speak to will introduce themselves too. There was just so much to take in on Sunday for a newbie to Paris that I think that my brain just went in to meltdown at times! image 

• Options

Tired legs - I'd love to do it again, but don't think I'll be back next year. Bit of a logistical challenge fitting around family. Even if it's not cooler next year, you'll definitely achieve your sub-5 objective - you know what those last 6 miles are like now and have time before next year to work out what nutrition (other than gels) you can stomach while running.

I have to say it'll be a few weeks before I eat another banana.

EHN - we were at the Eiffel Tower at 9.30 and I did walk up to the 2nd floor. I got the lift down though image

Time to rest the legs before the next outing on Saturday.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Hello Tired Legs, could you please send to s18adw@me.com I was on many iterations of the arc photos image

Smudger, good to see you at the Beer Station ... I really liked the buzz in there and the Heinekin was delicious
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

2017 registration is open - whose signed up?!

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

I Have! took about half an hour stuck on payment page, but got there in end at the cheapest tariff image

• Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭

Yup did take a while but i'm in again!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm back in for 2017! image

• Options

Tariff now showing 99 euros. Was it 80 earlier?

• Options

I'm in! Will be great to see you again Eggy and and Nells and others 

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Tired legs - the price goes up as they hit certain numbers of registrations. I missed out on the cheapest rate last year but managed to get the 80 euro tariff by going straight in at 7am this morning! It will go up again from 99 euros, not sure if that will be in this round or September.

• Options

Any ways-I'm back in...

• Options

Thanks Nells-should have got out of bed! Looking forward to it already!

• Options
    I can't do next year as my husband has a 6 week sabbatical from work through February and March so we are going traveling. Maybe the year after?

Is anyone else tired but not sleeping? Bizarre !
  • Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

I am very tired Wendy..already counting down to my weekeknd lie -in (and then the yang side of me is busy trying to find the impossible a midweek half as the cricket season scuppers any weekend races for me)

RunClaire wrote (see)

Tired legs - I'd love to do it again, but don't think I'll be back next year. Bit of a logistical challenge fitting around family. I have to say it'll be a few weeks before I eat another banana.

That's a shame RunClaire as I'd even pack some cake  for us to have half way image Hope your weekend event goes well

• Options

Born2run4 - with 41000 runners it was always going to be busy, there's no way around that I'm afraid, water stations are always a nightmare. I didn't find them to be badly organised, they had lots of people giving out water and each table had hundreds of bottles set out, not sure what else can be done. London is much ridiculously well supported and always has been, the fact that Paris isn't so full-on is one of the reasons why so many people like it!

• Options
    I'm in for 2017!
  • Options

I never sleep well after long runs Wendy. It seems to take me days to get sorted again. I was awake most of Sunday night.

RunClaire I'll miss you. EHN-still pack the cakes, I've got to find something else apart from horrid gels to get me round! 

I'm looking at Milton Keynes half on May Bank holiday. Also, has anyone done Florence full in November? Only 40 euros at the mo.

• Options
    Thanks to Radar Sal and her excellent a supporters pack my family had a fabulous time and have asked me to do it again. ????
  • Options

i love that loads of peeps are signing up. It's hard to run your first Paris and not go back the following year. It is a FANTASTIC marathon. I'm sitting it out though. I will do my best to come over with Running Rodent and minionise .... might drag my eldest daughter along as well. Next Spring I plan only one marathon. 3 is 2 too many.

is anyone doing a bib list?

• Options
    How's everyone's aches and pains? I seem to have got away with only one badly blistered toe. Good job really with London in my sights. Do they have bananas at London? I bet they don't have those juicy orange slices.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Tired legs - I'm doing the full marathon in MK on bank holiday Monday. Maybe see you there?
  • Options

Hello all!  Apologies, I've been rather quiet on here recently, life has been a bit mad (and this forum is so tricky to comment on from a phone!)

However, I have been lurking, and it was great to put faces to usernames on Sunday!  Big shout out to all the coffee people, it was great to see you all (and have a nice loo stop) before the race - sorry you couldn't be there Nells, but I think we did you proud!  I'm really bad with names, but I know we had Thebigone, Sharky, andrewr123, MoominRun...and many more!

So, to the race itself.  I started well, kept my pace slow, and all was going swimmingly.  At 3km, my watch starts going crazy and tells me I am at 102% of my max HR (so now I have a new max HR!!) - I was only bimbling along, and doing my customary 5:1 run walk, so it threw me a bit.  In retrospect, I believe I have a virus - very sore throat now, and lots of sneezing.  The heat and adrenaline can't have helped either.  I did some manual HR checks to make sure my watch wasn't playing silly buggers, and it wasn't.  So I slowed right down, stripped off everything I could without being arrested, and walked.  It took until 10km for my HR to be back in my comfortable bracket - late 70%-mid 80%.  I knew by that point that the goal time I'd been training for was out, but I was more concerned about just getting round by then.  After my HR settled, I was fine, it didn't rise again (my garmin readout is interesting!).

I remained pretty comfortable throughout the race - for those of you who were around last year, you'll know I've been worried about my knee, as I had to have surgery on it after Paris last year, as apparently I ran the whole race with a spiral fracture down the centre of my tibia, and torn medial meniscus.  Luckily my knee has held up absolutely fine, and so have all other joints!  I was aware toward the end that my toenails seemed to be taking a bashing - I'm putting this down to the heat and my feet swelling, as I've never had that in these shoes before.  Toenails seem to be hanging in there so far though!

Some things I saw out on course that really brought it home to me what we put ourselves through:

- A lady a bit in front on me wibbled, stumbled, and dashed off to the side clutching her stomach, to vomit clear liquids, while diarrohea poured out of the leg of her shorts.  Luckily she was with running buddies, and some medics were already running to her.

- A man lying at the side of the road being worked on by the medics with a defib machine.  I hope he was ok,

We do tend to forget that we put our bodies through a huge amount when we do these runs, and that we should really listen to our bodies over our watches etc.

I met up with RunSam0 and LeggyMountbatten out on course, it was lovely to see you both!  Thanks for keeping me company while I was worrying about my HR!

Minion support was, as ever, fantastic (though I am a bit biased).  Seeing the flags was such a pick-me-up.  I know you guys cover a fair distance, and I really appreciate all that you do for us mad runners!

Karen Bowman2 - I hope your feet are ok!  I'm very glad that my "pack two of everything" strategy worked out, and that we wear pretty much the same sized gear!  Also many thanks to the amazing RunningRodent for coordinating.

Overall, I was really pleased with my time - ten minutes off last year!  Not an overall PB, but it was a course PB, and a this-decade PB!  One day, I will beat my 20-year-old self....

Many thanks to all who plotted and schemed to surprise me at the pub in the evening (KeyserSuze, RadarSal and BM, I'm looking mainly at you!) - turns out running a marathon on your birthday isn't too bad, providing you are doing it with all of you