Options

Boston Marathon 2016

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Commiserations to you to Aleik but it sounds like you made a sensible decision. Good to read that the knee seems to be getting better.

I think I'd like to go back and do it again. Bit of a feeling of "unfinished business" and want to finish feeling that I've ran a good race. I also think Boston has something very special about it. However, I know what you mean about things

being out of your control. The time difference didn't bother me at all but pre race food.

Anyway, all the best for your summer racing. Stay sound.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Aleik but definitely sounds like a wise decision, no sense sacrificing your long term running health! Glad to hear you're on the mend already image

Like Theodor, I'd like to think I'll be back to Boston. Really enjoyed it, despite everything. And would love to conquer it one day!

For me I think everything that went wrong (illness,weather, etc) just proves how tenuous everything is. We train so hard and so long for a marathon and there are just so many chances for things to go wrong somewhere along the way. I guess that's why it means so much when everything works perfectly, because it's so difficult, despite our every effort!

Came back from Boston and then had to pick myself off the floor again when I discovered that my 15 min marathon PB at Manchester last year has just been completely wiped as they have found out their course was short by 380m. My only race where everything did come together so well and my only sub 4 as well! So now my PB is back to scratch at my very first marathon!

Gutted at first especially as Boston didn't go to plan, but now feeling more philosophical and just realising you can't take anything for granted (not even your existing times apparently!) Easing back in slowly but am needing to focus soon on Berlin in September. And so the circle starts again image

Really pleased for those of you who did so well in Boston, especially MSimpson!
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Perhaps I also missed an iconic part of it, the finishing straight and the line. The strongest feeling I had once I stopped was of relief at not having to make decisions that were doomed either way any more. Bit of a hellish couple of months ending just like that cleared the way for a simple, singular recovery path and nothing else.

Same as you Nicole with the Manchester fiasco. Ran the race of my dreams and now it gets wiped. Weird to have my PB shunted back about 22 minutes. I even emailed them after the race, asking if they were sure it was the full distance, as entry to Boston depended on it. Glad all this didn't come out in a post flight booking / pre race sweet spot.

LT, maybe it'd be an idea next time to introduce energy food that travels well in any temperature. I had these home made cake pieces, same GI as potatoes, so good for the night before and even the morning if you're stuck. Whatever you're used to obviously, but really easily digested. http://www.oneingredientchef.com/tarahumara-pinole-energy-bars/
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Aleik. Obviously, getting carbs in Boston wasn't a problem itself but this was the first time I'd had to travel for a marathon and missed not being able to cook exactly what I wanted and having that control.

I can imagine the relief you felt after stopping and then feeling that you could move on. However, these decisions aren't always easy to take with all the physical and emotional energy we invest in these things, not to mention the cost involved.

Nicole - I think the third paragraph of your post sums it all really well. The news about Manchester would have been difficult to swallow at the best of times but probably couldn't have come at a worse moment straight after Boston. Best of luck for Berlin. Hopefully, you can get your BQ back and start planning for Boston 2018. I guess the next training cycle will be starting soon. Will you be doing a P&D 18 week plan?
  • Options
    Aleik - oh no, sorry this has affected you too! There must be people out there who ran all 3 affected years and have now officially never run a marathon - really unbelievable.

Thanks Theodor! Yes, I think I'll base my training on 18 week P&D as I did last time (I did the up to 55 miles programme but cut slightly so as to only run x 4 a week which is as much as I can do right now without injury!). However looking back at the Boston training, although it was giving great results, I think I may have overcooked things a bit. The last few weeks I felt completely shattered, and think I may have predisposed myself to getting ill during taper (normally have an iron cast immune system). If I feel like that this time will back off a bit, better to be a bit cautious judging by what happened this time.

Will be aiming high in Berlin but realistically I am not great running in the heat and the date of Berlin means I'll be doing marathon training in high summer, which I will find tough. But even if I could get my sub 4 back again, that would be great. If I don't get BQ in Berlin hopefully can target a spring marathon (possibly Rotterdam or Brighton - NOT Manchester haha!). Will try VLM ballot too but not holding out much hope image
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/ For info London seems to be taking a great pragmatic approach to Manchester times... Accepting them but adding a couple of mins

• Options
    That's really positive, McHilly (although at 3:52 I was just shy of the GFA image )

Wish UKA would take a similar approach and just adjust the times! Power of 10 site has taken my time off the list of marathons - it is now just displayed as 'short' and my PB is 4.07 (from VLM 2014)