Options

VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• Options
    Longest long run today at 11 miles. The last two were so slow I was almost going backwards. It was tough and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself until someone pointed out it's 11 down, 15 to go. Think the enormity of the distance has hit me today BUT we still have 4 whole months to go. Thank goodness!
  • Options

Hi everyone!

I got into the ballot on my second attempt for last years race but got injured during training and had to defer so 2016 will be my first ever marathon! I've been running since around March/April this year but only couple of times a week and will be doing my first 10k this Saturday. 

It would be good to find some other first timers who are looking at around the 5/5.30 mark (or even just to finish!) as there don't seem to be many forums/threads for this that I can see? Or if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great! 

• Options

I am aiming for anything under 6 hours if that helps.

• Options
    Couga/Midlands - you are both definitely in the right place. I'm aiming anywhere between 5 and 6 ideally so we need to help each other!
  • Options

Ok great! I'm only on week 2 of my training plan and so far so good, but will definitely need all the help and support I can get! 

• Options
    Okay so why don't we start documenting our runs and how we feel? Would that be a good start?

Went to the gym

today and yesterday for an hour on the elliptical and did tempo 5 mins x 5 followed by walk/jog equivalent. I did that yesterday and then did an hour today cranking up the resistance every ten minutes for five minutes.

Also did my physio exercises too for the glutes.

Midlands - sounds like we suffered the same thing?

I'm looking at a plan that tells me I ought to be doing two hours easy but the thought of being in the gym on the machines fills me with horror... and boredom..

Amazing to think that it is New Year and this year, we are going to finish a marathon - phew!
  • Options

Had a quiet New Years Eve so today have done a 3 mile easy run (unpleasantly cold and windy which sapped my energy a bit) and an hour long walk in the countryside with husband and dog.  Daily physio exercises later which are literally a pain in the bum. Yep Blythe, my physio says I have 'weak buttocks' which I tried not to feel too insulted at. On the upside it means a perkier behind for my summer holidays.

I have also decided to cut down on booze on the run up to doing the marathon. not sure I can give up completely but going to limit it to Friday evenings as I don't drink much in the week anyway and I want to be fresh for my Sunday long runs.

Exercise, sobriety. Oh lord, what have I become!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Hi ML - Happy New Year!

Well done on the 3 miler especially in the cold - brrr!

I haven't done my exercises today - not sure how I'm going to manage to do them once I'm back at work but I'm really hoping that when I see the physio next week I'll be able to get back on the road again.

Good idea on the alcohol; I may well join you.. Again I don't drink much but my partner is doing Dry January and I could 'pretend' to be supportive.image
  • Options

Hi all

Just joined the forum looking for tips and advice. Running VLM this april for the first time. Have been training for about 2 months now and up to about 20k so far on the odd ocassion. Diagnosed with Melanoma cancer earlier in 2015 and underwent several operations and now as clear as can expect. Decided to try and raise some cash and awareness as a result. No previous running experience at all, apart from school cross country some 25 years ago! 

Good luck to all those on their journeys as well image

Lovey

• Options
    Hi Lovey. Sounds like you are on track if you are up to 20k.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with melanoma and glad to hear you are clear of it. It's very admirable that you are giving something back by raising money.

Have you started fund raising yet? That's almost as stressful as running the thing!
  • Options

Hi everyone,

Blythe - yes documenting runs sounds like a good way to go about things.

This morning I did 6.5 miles which left me pretty much soaked from about half a mile in! Thankfully the rain eased off until around the last mile so am feeling pretty happy that I pushed through and carried on to the end. Next week I'll be adding swimming and some more strength training into my plan which should help even more.

Midlands - I agree about fundraising, I think I'm actually going to send something out today so fingers crossed the money will start coming in! 

Lovey - welcome! and wow, you are amazing, great news about you getting the all clear and taking on this challenge. 

Alcohol wise I too drink very infrequently at the moment (except when I go to Mexico for 2 weeks in Feb!) but agree about trying to stay away from it as much as possible for the next couple of months, although I do my long runs on a saturday with rest on sunday so can always treat myself on sat night if I feel like it! image)

• Options
    Lovey - welcome to the clan and bravo on giving something back. Sounds like you are well on track already - now it's just a question of avoiding injury...

Lass - I think you are right on the fund raising! I started early so have quite a bit from friends and family so far but am going to blitz it in Feb/March as by then I think people I know will have recovered from Christmas and the holidays..

Couga - bravo on the run. Well done and the strength training sounds good too.

Another hour today in the gym on the elliptical (at least I think that's what it's called) I have no idea if it is helping me and am looking forward to the physio next week. I so hope that she says I can start again as I must admit that I am getting anxious about the level of fitness that I am at.

Still, no point, I guess worrying; just important to get on with today...

Have a lovely evening y'all
  • Options

Thanks all, really happy to have a place and to be able to run at all. Going to try another 20k tomorrow morning. Need to start stepping this up soon. Most I have done is 12 miles, and I thought 16 would be enough but reading some comments on here over the last couple of days it seems like 20 miles is the recommended distance a first timer should be aiming for, pre race.

Midlands Lass - thanks for your kind words. Yes fund raising is also almost a full time job it seems. I've got £2.5k already so far and hoping to double it by the time of the race, thats my target. Ill keep you posted!

Thanks again

• Options
    Lovey - good luck with the run!

Careful you aren't doing too much too quickly; after all you still have 4 months to go!

Are you following a particular plan?
  • Options

Hi Midlands Lass! I did London in 2015 using Galloway's strategy. It worked really well and I got a huge PB. I was worried I'd look daft taking a walk so early in the race but it was fine and I overtook many hundred runners ( yes, literally) in the last 5km when I was still fresh and they were really struggling. Even went to a cocktail,party that afternoon! You'll do a great job!

• Options
    Charlie - that's lovely and so encouraging! Thank you
  • Options
    Thanks so much Charlie. That's good to hear.

I am randomly finding my knees ache when I slow to take my walking breaks but are fine when I start running again. Which seems to be the wrong way round.

Do you have any tips for marathon etiquette when taking the walking breaks? I don't want to annoy the runners by slowing down in front of them (although my 'running' speed isn't that much faster than my walking speed!)
  • Options

That's funny , my knees do the same thing! I asked Galloway and he said to practise the acceleration gliders ( on his website or you tube) so that you transition more gently. It's almost like you can't quite pick the moment that you go from run to walk and vice versa. My knees don't do it any more. 

When I do most races I keep to the left when I'm going to walk, raise a hand just before I walk and then walk. In America you have to keep to the right!  However, I found London was more than a little crazy and pretty congested in places. There's also a lot of first time or "one and done" runners who end up taking random walk breaks all over the show so the whole keep left thing becomes totally unnecessary! I did try hard to glance over my shoulder before I walked, just so that I didn't end up with someone in a dinosaur suit falling over me! I was worried about it but I really didn't need to be. 

Make sure you have your name on your shirt. There's nothing like the feeling of London screaming just for you!!

• Options
    Thanks again Charlie. Glad it's not just my knees!

I am finding my knees are getting a bit sore in general as the long runs get longer. Not enough to stop me running or alter my gait and they are fine after an hour or so.

Good to hear that I am not going to be an inconvenience with my walking breaks.

They are definitely the key to success for me. Every two weeks I surprise myself at how far I have gone. The thought of 20 mile plus training runs freaks me out a bit as I am so slow but I have a waterproof jacket and a stash of energy gels so I should be fine. I trust in Jeffs plan!
  • Options

The trust is a big thing. I spend the first half of each race muttering about how I must get off this stupid plan and get back to continuous running. The ego does not cope well with walking 30 seconds after the start..... But then I spend the second half of the race feeling fab, overtaking loads of people and thinking what a wonderful way to run a race! I'm just tapering for my first ultra marathon and will be taking walk breaks ( but also hoping to be speedy !) 

Have you tried ice and compression after a big run for your knees? My calves are rather partial to an ice pack each and a sit in the recliner! 

• Options
    My knees are close friends with a bag of sweetcorn!

I see my physio every couple of weeks for a gym session so I am going to get him to have a look next week. I can cope with a bit of runners knee but if I start to get patella tendon problems, that will be an issue. I think it's runners knee but self diagnosis is always dangerous! Dr Google is not to be trusted
  • Options

sounds like a wise move! Physio may be able to sort it out easily if you get there soon enough instead of waiting until it's really bad. Of course, you could just ignore all the advice and keep going. My GP always asks if I want the best answer to an ache or pain enquiry, or do I want the runners answer! 

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone I've just joined up to this forum. Like a few others in this thread I was lucky enough to get into the VLM through the ballot at the first time of asking this year. I've never really run regularly before, although I play squash about 2x a week on average and am generally fairly fit.

Started doing a little bit of running in October (a couple of weeks before the ballot result) as my wife started doing a "couch to 5k" thing so I went with her, since then I've been slowly increasing and plan this year is to do 2 shorter runs every week (approx 5 miles) and then a long one every weekend which I'll slowly increase. Will look to probably do some 10k or 1/2 marathon races at some point if I can find some that look good and aren't too far away.

• Options
    Hi Nick welcome to the thread and congratulations on your place.

Quite a few people who are doing VLM for the first time follow either the Novice supreme plan by Hal Higdon or the one by Jeff Galloway - might be worth you having a look?
  • Options

Long run done. How do I feel? horrible!!!

13.1 miles. Both knees started aching around mile 5 then eased off and became annoying but didn't stop me. Hips started aching at mile 11. when I finished the knee soreness came back so ice on them as we speak (ahhhhhhh it's lovely). I definitely have bilateral runners knee. Despite the short stride, the glute exercises and the supportive trainers.  Not sure what else I can do and I suspect it's the way I am built. Will discuss with physio at my gym session on Thursday. 

on the bright side it was the furthest I have ever run So I feel pretty smug. I was slower than a slow thing but I made it and the Galloway plan gives me 13 days off until my next long run. Thank goodness. 

And the nutrition worked well. Big granola and fruit brekkie and an energy gel every hour to start to get used to them. SIS lemon and lime flavour. Recommended. 

• Options

Congratulations Midlands Lass! Sending you a virtual half marathon  medal!!

• Options
    Bravo Lass! Well done... Very impressive..

Another gym session for me. 2 hours yesterday and an hour today. I have finally been allowed to start running again but am having to 'learn' how to run properly and only a maximum of 5 minutes per gym session. I'm desperately hoping that I'll still be able to get back on the plan but I have to say I am worried.. Still, onwards and upwards..

Hope everyone had fun running this weekend.
  • Options
    Don't panic Blythe. There's still nearly 4 months to go and you were running up to 10 miles and you've kept your fitness up at the gym.

I am sure you'll soon be back into the running
  • Options
    Lass - thank you for the encouragement. I need it at the moment!

How's it going?