Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

13.1 today to see if my legs would run at slower pace? They certainly would and it was hard work! image
    I use (pool) swimming for rehab too NN

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP great 10k race, well done on the M50 winimageimage

HM thanksimage

Olliepop 92 mile week and a 22m LSR pre-marathon training ! Lolimage

Stuart that's an excellent PB, well doneimageimageimage.  I thought it was about time you smashed 90', but sub 84' is a huge step up.  What was your trainer's goal for you this year?image

Stewart sorry it didn't go to planimage

OH PB !!imageimage You're really running well at the momentimage

NN shame about the race; good luck for next weekendimage

OH nice 13 milerimage

---

I wasn't feeling great on Sunday and the 6.5m uphill backpack run home was a real toil.  Just a 3m jog today.image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, Congratulations on your PB and well done with the 13 mile MLR, I am not surprised it was hard going

NN, I hope the ankle is feeling ok after your swim and trial run

Ollie, the recovery miles will help.

Tek, hope you're feeling ok today, you have had more than your fair share of illness this winter/spring

---------------

a very easy recovery run down along the canal to Dochgarroch and back, 7 miles in total, followed it up with a good stretch session at body balance.

Sports massage today, my calves are really tight and a bit achy so a good mashing is in order.  

• Options

Stewart - Shame the race didn't go to plan on Sunday, must have been tough in the heat. I said that to my mate, as much as the 8am start for me on Sunday wasn't ideal it meant we ended up in perfect conditions!image Good recovery run yesterday tooimage

Tek - Well done on the 6.5 & 3 milesimage

OH - Fantastic work on the PBimage All this racing must work for you!image I'm impressed you managed to knock out 13 miles yesterday too!

NN - Hope the ankle is better today.

Ollie - Hopefully you stick to the cutback week plan, I planned an easy week too but if the weather is like this all week I might end up with a lot of miles!image

---------

Just a slow 4 yesterday and then a quick gym session. Going out in about half an hour for an undetermined distance.

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Ollie - nice Parkrun time, and run home! Oh, and I see you managed a HM the next day. And you haven't started marathon training yet! image

Cal - Parkrun PB!image Well done again

NP - congrats on the age group winimage

SC & OH - well done at the Castle of Mey 10k and on the recovery runs since then. Congrats on the PB OH image

SM - sub 84mins, really well done, congrats on the PBimage

Tek - hope you got your mojo back after the 3m recovery image

NN - hope the ankle is better soon, try some running in the pool - it may or may not help, but will make you look like a pro-athlete in recovery mode. image

----------

The holiday in France is not going quite to plan.

Plan:

A week of sun in France. No work. Plenty of time for running each day, plus a bit of cycling and swimming, and maybe even canoeing on the river. All topped off with lazy dinners on the patio under the setting sun, as evening fades into night in a wine-drenched haze.

Reality:

So far, 3 days of torrential rain. Running is out of the question as I don't trust my leg - ironic, because running is one activity where I actually prefer the rain. I braved cycling 30km in the rain yesterday just to get outside,  beside that at least the rain makes no difference to swimming, so I've been swimming up to a mile each day. Looking on the bright side, my awful front crawl is getting better. (Comedy aside - I tried a drill which involved holding a float out ahead and kicking hard with the legs. I went backwards.image)

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 Great racing and great report, Think the fact that you tried to chase down your club mate kept you focused and it's great to see you hitting a massive PB. Thankfully like you said you didn't fall flat on your face at the endimageimageimageimage Think you just have to stay positive and go for it in the marathon just don't go out too fastimage Nice slow run and gym session yesterday.

Ollie  92.1 mile is big milage, doing four weeks of 90+ miles broke me, take care. Enjoy the cut back week.image

NN glad that the  little 'crick ' in you ankle is sortedimage Move up in August.

OH great PB sir and also well done on the 13.2 milesimageimageimageimage

SC sorry your race didn't go to planimage

Teknik well done with the trainingimage

Sunday was the last of the club handicap races and I wasn't looking forward to this having race the 10k the day before. 5 miles on some of the road that where in the 10k race. Starting second to last I managed to work my way up to 3rd place and was no where near the winner. Legs felt very heavy after the race so decided to make the most of the wonderful weather we are having here and work in the garden so no running on Monday or today and have a 5 mile race tomorrow night.image legs feeling betterimage.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Yellow lol sorry at the drill with the floatimage Having the best weather here for the past three yearsimage

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Afternoon. image

NN: Sorry about your race kerfuffle but nice going on the swim.  Work as a labourer (gutters/roofs/windows etc.), can fit my runs around work most of the time. image
    OH: Good running from you at the moment, nice 13.1 miles yesterday. image
    Teknik: Good work on the 6.5 miles uphill, hope the 3 mile jog went well. image
    SC: Nice 7 miles yesterday, hope your legs feel the benefit of the massage. image
    SM6: Nice run and gym session yesterday.  Hope you enjoy the run of undetermined distance (rundertimined distance..?), have fun. image
    Yellow: Sorry to hear about the weather not being great in France, at least you can get a float, head to the channel and back paddle to the UK for some sun.  Nice swimming and hope the weather cheers up down there soon. image
    NP: Was a nice venture up to high mileage but happy to cut back now, sounds like some good days resting, best of luck in your 5 mile race tomorrow and well done for the club handicap race on Sunday too. image

- - - - - - - - - -

Hope I didn't sound arrogant or anything claiming I've not yet started marathon training properly.  To clarify, I meant I haven't tailored any runs for any specific purpose, it's all been slow runs of x amount of miles for the past few weeks. image

Today was a nice 3 mile run which brings my end of month mileage to 246 miles including 3 parkruns, a 5 mile race and a 10k race.  Oh, and around 246 cakes as well, one per mile, yum yum. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    NN shame about missing the race but sure you will more than make up for it at the next one.

OH well done on the 13 plus a very nice PB

Tek well done on the training miles.

Stewart hope the.egs are recovering

Yellow nightmare with the weather , hope the sun comes out tomorrow.

NP great racing, make the most of the heatwave !

Ollie nice month of training and mileage.

Not too much to report here, 13 m on saturday including a steady 20 min park run then a good 11 m yesterday including 7 with the club . IT band feeling a bit sore so a good stretch with PT tonight. Jersey Marathon entered for October and Cotswold 24 hr race in July to look forward to and train for.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, enjoy a few easy days after your epic racing at the weekend, you have earned them image

Yellow enjoy the holiday and don't worry about missing a session or two

NP, nice bit of racing, and fair play getting third after a hard 10k, the weather has been excellent, I just wish I was better running in it

Ollie, a huge month of training 

MG, I hope the stretching has helped the IT band

------------------

5 miles at lunch today, it did feel a little weird running on a work day, another hot one here, my calves are feeling a little tender after the sports massage, I'll be back in a fortnight to see if they have loosened up 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Epic running, SM! That's a huge PB!

Well done on your PB too, OH. (Sorry about the shoelace, SC).

yellow - I guess the silver lining to those heavy rainclouds is that your swimming is improving. Hope the weather improves for you too, but if it's anything like here, we won't see sunshine until next week. For the record, my front crawl is diabolical. I have rather shite shoulder mobility from years of combining heavy bench pressing with computer gaming, so yeah, I don't think that's going to change much.

NP - well done on the handicap.

NN - hope the ankle feels better soon. MG, same for your ITB.

Ollie - the cake makes it sound worth it. image

------------------------------------------------

Well, after three days of running in a row (the outdoor circuit wasn't a run as such but since it included over three miles of running in it, I guess it counts) I was a bit optimistic to think I could run on Monday. Not having done that workout in a while, I was also sore in places I'd forgotten about. I did do some yoga, but that was it.

Then yesterday, I woke up to a gale blowing outside and torrential rain. Now I don't mind running in the rain, but when it's accompanied by strong winds, that's a big nope from me. Hell, I even cancelled my yoga class because I didn't want to walk five minutes down the road in that weather.

Needed to make up for that today, then, so it was up to Streatham Common for three laps of torture. When I say a lap, I don't just mean the main part of the common, which is all hill, but also manageable, but also a nasty bit down the side which is part of the Herne Hill Harriers cross country race and includes a steep incline up a muddy, rooty path through the trees.

The Streatham parts were laughably slow. I had to slow to an almost walk on one slippery muddy patch, and was also harrassed by two yapping terriers on the first lap. There was even 13 minute mile in there somewhere. Still, I got around without any problems and had enough juice left to run the final mile in 9:31.

So, 9.06 hilly miles done in 1:42.07.

I've got a 10 miler (my first) at the end of June which I'm aiming to do in under 1:35. That'll be flat, though, so I think that time is easily achievable.

• Options

On Monday I cycled 25 miles.

Today at the gym I did a Spin class + 4 mile on treadmill + 20 mins weights.

Tomorrow I will do a 40 mile easy cycle. I do more free wheeling on my easy cycles than I pedal.

Friday will be another rest day ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

Spin classes: mixing sprint intervals up with medium to high resistance on a spin bike never gets easy. 

Sunday: I will close out the week with another easy 30+ mile cycle.

Then it will be a week count down for my upcoming marathon on Sunday June 12. I will register, 2 or 3 days before my marathon.

• Options

Castle of Mey 10k 2016.

Coming a week after the Cape wrath challenge and having not done that many 10ks previously, I was uncertain what to expect in this one.image

The race is located 3 miles from the Scottish mainland terminal of one of the Orkney ferries. I elected to cycle from the Gills Bay terminal, although timing was a bit tight if ferry was at all delayed. Forecast was for sun and 17°C although we left Orkney in the Haar (sea mist). About 20 runners made the journey from Orkney. The ferry left and arrived on time, so no panic to arrive in time for registration. However the sun was now out and I was sweating before I had even started the race!imageimage
    Met up again with rest of runners. Joined in the warm-up led by a local gymnastics group of young girls (considerably more supple then I) much to the embarrassment of Els who viewed this online.image

Met up with the 50 minute pacer who outlined his run plan (take it easy out, but sprint for the finish). Prompt start with 295 actually running. After an initial downhill section, I settled into a position just ahead of the 50 minute pacer, while hearing his voice just behind me most of the the way.

Steady miles around the 8 minute mile pace.image

Just before the halfway mark, there is a loop back where you get a chance to see and greet the other runners. A welcome shout from StewartC a few hundred metres ahead. I crossed the halfway mark at about 24m43 so pretty much on target for 50 minutes. image
    A shout from one of the marshalls  D (whom I know from Cape Wrath weeks).
    After 7k, I caught up with StewartC.

I then spied the pink Orkney vest of Morag, just ahead; I had never beaten her in a race to date.
    At 8k, I put on a short spurt to pass her thinking she would then speed on ahead ... however somehow I managed to stay in front.
    At just before 9k, the 50m pacer passed me shouting “Sprint now and you’ll do it”.
    I gave it my all down the final kilometre, spurred on too by shouts of “Come on Morag” right behind me. I crossed to finish line at 50m12: over the coveted 50 but a PB of 1m20 and 5s ahead of Morag.image

Cheered in others from Orkney finishers in the sun.image

Said Hello to StewartC and family.

A good medal haul for Orkney: 2nd male and female, 1st and 3rd veteran female.

Teas and prize giving before leisurely cycle back to ferry. 

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Afternoon. image

HM4: Cheers. image
    MG1: Nice running, and some good races to look forward to. image
    SC: Nice 5 miles, hope legs ease up soon. image
    Cal: Can't beat a cake or 10. image  Nice 9.06 miles, best of luck with your 10 mile goal. image
    Sub17: Nice cycling and good gym session today. image
    OH: Great report, nice read and sounds like you had a good day, sub 50 on the cards for next time? image

- - - - - - - - - - -

6 miles today, a nice and breezy run. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart nice canal run and well done on the lunchtime 5m

Stuart well done on the 4m plus gymwork

yellow I hope the weather brightens up soon !

NP nice running at the club handicap; hope the race went well tonight

Ollie nice month's total, and well done on the 6m today

HM thanks

MG nice bunch of runs, hope the ITB is ok now

Cal good running with those hills

Sub17 nice mix of training

OH nice report and well done to the Orkney crew

----

4.5m easy commute yesterday, then 8.6m tonight with 7 at MP, with the Serpies.image

Midweek Races

02/6/16 Assembly League Battersea Park 5k Teknik
    02/6/16 Apperley Bridge Canter 10k Dr Dan
    03/6/16 Black Rock '5' Stuart M

Good luck guysimage

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Well, I caved in to the run-demon and headed out for 6k of slow running along deserted French roads once the rain stopped. Lower leg felt a bit tight at first but seemed OK after a stretch. Plenty of gentle stretching and icing afterwards and so far so good.

Also got in another 30km of undulating cycling this evening.

Not sure whether I'll risk this week's main workout (2x2miles & 2x1mile @ 10k pace) which was planned for tomorrow. Possibly I'll try another relaxed 4-6 miles and if that causes no grief I'll do the hard workout at the weekend.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Ollie lol I now have a vision of you eating a cake every mile nice way to carb loadimage well done on the miles for the month.

MG1 Great running and upping the miles a bit, take care of the IT band, day 4 of watering the grass seed's started and awaiting the first blade to pop upimage

SC nice running, keep using the foam roller on the legsimage

Cal well done on the run, sounds like you have our weatherimage

OH Great running and well done on another PB and for getting one over on Morag. Great medal haulimageimageimageimage

Teknik nice running with the club at MP image

Yellow nice running and cycling in France, looks like the weather is very poor there at the moment.image

Well 5 mile race last night, after two races on Saturday and Sunday I thought I would take a couple of days off running and work in the garden so 6 tonnes of top soil laid down and grass seed now getting watered image Still felt the weekends races in the legs a little, went out at 5:40 pace and was a little too fast for the heat second mile came in at 5:44. The guy I thought would win my age group came on to my shoulder then passed me as I started to slow and drop the pace mile 3 came in at 6:07 and I then started to up the pace a little more mile 4 was 5:54 I managed to maintain the gap between us and held on for second place in the category mile 5, 6:03 and 29:43 finish time. This was nearly 1 minute down on last year but think this is more the effect of the weekend races than anything else.image

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Good luck to Teknik and Dr.Dan at their races today. image

Teknik: Nice run commute the other day and good running yesterday.  Best of luck at the 5k today. image
    Yellow: Nice to see you got out for a run and everything seemed reet, hope it goes well today. image
    NP: Yeah, carry a cake backpack and load up every mile. image  Nice racing yesterday, well done on sub-30 for 5 miles. image

- - - - - - - - -

3 cakes today, which equates to 3 miles. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Phew ... a big read back was required ... and the  STAND OUT performance was Stuart's HM .... 3+ min PB!!!! Mahhoooosive PB! imageimageimage

But enough about you lot ... what about me? imageimage

Wed - 14.3 mile run.

Thurs - 16 mi bike on the Tri route. More of a recce than a session but, given I have not cycled more than 6 miles since last August, it was never going to be!

Fri - day off. Went for a long walk and a pub lunch with Mrs.Dan as we've been married 25 yearsimage. We're off to Florence in September to celebrate it properly.

Sat - parkrun. After consuming too much wine, I realised late the night before that my daughter had no swimming lesson on Sat morning. Emergency parkrun ensued ... couldn't find my Garmin in time, so ran this blind. 20:15... okay but think it would have been quicker with the watch.

Sun - open water swim #2 ... 2000m front crawl non-stop. Loved it but my Garmin filled up with lake waterimage. Dismantled and dried out the watch afterwards and it came back to lifeimage.

Mon - "brick session". 4.7 miles on the bike, including 5 x 750m hill sprints to knacker the bike muscles ... then straight off for a 3.65 mile run at 7:30/m.

Tues - 28.4 mile bike ride with some big hills.

Wednesday - Bike commute and 1 mile swim (4 x 400m front crawl with 1 min rests). Swimming is definitely improving!

Today - Bike commute and a lumpy 10K trail race.

10 days to the triathlon! imageimageimage

• Options

Dr Dan - A nice week of training there! Good luck with the trail race todayimage

Ollie - Well done on the cakesimage Good total for last monthimage

NP - Sub 30 for 5 miles is still good going, and as you say the weekends racing will still be in your legs! Good stuff thoughimage

Yellow - At least you're getting some cycling in! And I did have a bit of a chuckle at the swimming backward comment, LOL!image

Tek - Good running the past few days, hope you have a good race tonightimage

Missed the question in your last post, my coaches goal for me for the year (which I mentioned was totally unrealistic to everyone that would listen) was 1:24. So I somehow beat that...image

Also I've decided against racing tomorrow, was a novelty race anyway, and something else has come up.

OH - Great race report, and well done again on a brilliant PBimageimage

Cal - Sounds like a good lumpy 9 milesimage

Stewart - How are the legs feeling after the massage?

MG - Nice could of ML effortsimage, is the 24hr race a relay effort or are you going solo??

---------------

So, 10 Tuesday, 8 yesterday (both lumpy), and going to club tonight which will hopefully be flat. It'll be taken easier than usual whatever it is!

220 odd miles for May, which is about 40 more than expected. Another few weeks of grinding along then marathon training starts at the end of the month/beginning of Julyimage

• Options

9 miles with 1k, 2k, 2k reps with club tonight. Not a lot in the legs tonight, could just about hit 5k pace on the 1k rep but that was it.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

yellow nice easy 6k, sounds like some easy running and cycling is the right thing for a few daysimage

NP that's a great sub30 after the weekend races...good set of piccies on FB tooimage

Ollie nice running and cakingimage

Dr Dan I hope the 10k trail race went wellimage

Stuart sorry I forgot about Alloa in March - still a huge lump and it sounds like your coach knows his stuff.  Well done on the hilly 10 and 8, and good rep session tonightimage

---

I didn't feel like racing tonight - a shame because that Battersea Park route is pancake flat - just did an easy 6m at 8:20 ish, and settled in for a somewhat underwhelming England match on the telly...image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Stuart - great training! Autumn Marathon season looking good for you!

Tek - shame about the race but well done on getting in the 6.

The "lumpy 10K trail race" was hard work ... tough course and my legs are totally shot now! Came in at 44:31 and really did work hard for that (HR only 2 bp below max by the end) as I was in a couple of scraps with team-mates in the last 2K. 91st and 11th V45 (would have been 5th V50 had it been next week!image). Also did 17 miles bike today, which naturally took its toll on the 10K, but it's all about the triathlon at the moment.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Dr.Dan: Nice week of swimming, cycling and running.  Well done on yesterday's 10k. image
    SM6: Nice monthly mileage, that's 220 cakes worth. image  Good going on the club session. image
    Teknik: Nice going on the 6 miles. image  Didn't know if I was watching football or karate at one point...  Other than that, fairly dull match. image

- - - - - - - - - -

2 miles from me, shall be nice and fresh for tomorrow's parkrun. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

DR Dan nice mix of Tri training, I must get back into the pool next week and start to get the bike out now most of the garden is finished offimage Might even get a open water swim in today. Nice 10k trail race and you will soon be a grumpy old man image

SM6 nice few days of training and good 1&2k repsimage

Teknik nice easy running, Ive got to fit some of that in image

Ollie enjoy the cakes and have a good Park run.

Just over 8 miles on the trails yesterday went off to find some new routes that can only be run in the summerimage 99.9% of the garden done now waiting on grass to grow (day 5 now of watering) Heading up the coast for the day and hope to get a sea swim in (OH I will have my Tri suit on as its too cold)image

• Options

Sea temp almost in double figures now NP!image

8.5 wet cold miles yesterday eveningimage

cake miles is a concept I could get used toimage, although maybe not one per mileimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Dr Dan well done on that trail raceimage

Ollie good luck on the parkrun tomorrowimage

NP nice 8 miler, good work in the garden and enjoy the sea swim!image

OH well done in the wet and cold last nightimage

---

Just an easy 4m today, club handicap tomorrow

---

Weekend races

05/6/16 Nairn 10m Stewart C

Good luck Stewart!image

• Options

Hope Nairn goes well Stewart (and make sure your laces are properly tied!)

Not bad for a lumpy trail race DrD image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

NP ... nice 8 and good luck with the sea swim! Now I have a wet suit, I will indulge myself when we go on holiday.

Well done AOH on the wet 8.5.

Good luck with the club handicap Tek.

Good luck for Sunday Stewart!

Is anyone on the thread doing Abingdon this year? Can't locate the page with the list. I have a chance of a place if I can sort the logistics ... did it in 2013 and would prefer it to Nottingham as I'll need that extra month of training!

Meanwhile my legs are in bits after yesterday's race ... just got to cycle home, then rest day tomorrow and open water swim Sunday. I suppose next week is taper weekimage.