Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.
  • Options

Dr Dan - Hope the legs feel better after the rest day!image Sounds like you have a good run in the 10kimage

Tek - Nice 4, and good luck for the club race. You seem a bit like me in regards to racing, sounds a good idea weeks before but struggle to motivate myself to actually race when the day comes round.

OH - Well done on the cold 8.5image

NP - It's good to get out exploring routes your not run in a while, good 8 miles bankedimage

Ollie - Maybe not 220 cakes, but I fired through a fair amount of chocolate biscuits! Good luck with the parkrun this morningimage

Stewart - Good luck with the 10 mile raceimage

-------------

Gym after work yesterday

Club today, tempo type session I think but it's a bit of a trek, probably going to rack up 13+ miles so my long run might be Monday again.

• Options

Another Park Run win despite wet conditions and slipping along in my worn out trainers. Heavier trainers with more grip will provide better results in my Park Run and Marathon double next weekend.

I will use 6 gels for my Marathon and I will take one with a drink of water once every 4 miles. A cycling vest with deep pockets will carry my gels for my marathon. 

Breakfast will be  oatmeal + a strong coffee 2 hours before my Marathon starts. A light breakfast to provide some energy for 26.2 miles. I will keep my energy levels up with gels along the way.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Dr Dan, a packed week of training and a hard trail 10k I hope the legs are feeling better, enjoy the taper

Ollie, a great combination cakes and running are, image

NP two races within a week is going to hard on the legs, good luck with the new routes on the trails 

OH, loved the report, it was a great event and I think I'll go back and do it again next year, well done with the wet and cold 8 miles, and I'll make sure the laces don't come undone

Tek, well done with the easy 4 and good luck with the club handicap today

SM, a good week's training, I wasn't surprise the legs were feeling it during your interval session, good luck with the club session today sounds like ot will be a hard one.

S17, good luck with the marathon.

---------------

I've been AWOL again apologies, I did nothing on Wednesday the calves were still feeling battered, 4 on Thursday and 2 before body balance last night, so nothing of substance this week and no hills, I'll get out later for a 5 / 6 mile run.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

NP: Nice trail running, enjoy the coast. image
    OH: Nice 8.5 mile run.  Maybe cake kilometres? image
    Teknik: Nice 4 miles, good luck at the club handicap. image
    Dr.Dan: Sounds like you raced hard the other day.  I'll be doing Abingdon, be nice to see some forumites. image
    HM4: Thank you. image
    SM6:
    Enjoy the club session today. image
    Sub17: Nice parkrunning, doesn't sound like the easiest of conditions, hope it's better next week. image
    SC: Enjoy the 5/6 mile run, and best of luck at Nairn tomorrow (was up near there last August in Auldearn), hope it goes well. image

- - - - - - - - - -

1 mile warm up, parkrun (18:42), 1 mile cool down.  5.1 miles total.

A fast first lap trying to keep the first finisher in sight (he finished 17:14), a tough second lap making sure I retained second place.  But was good to have a fast runner to chase and despite struggling in the last lap, I got a similar time to last week. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

S17 - Well done on the parkrun winimage

Ollie - That must be a tough course if 18:40 is getting 2nd!image My local parkrun is similar, but I've no chance of running that time! Good runningimage

Stewart - Well done on the training this week, hope you make it out laterimage

--------

Shorter day than expected, mostly due to the session being short than I thought. I was expected 18-20 minutes out and back, but it was only 13. Which in the end was probably for the best as I struggled.

2.1 miles in the 13 minutes out (that's about 6:12?), 13:04 back, so a bit faster than HM pace when I had hoped closer to 10k pace (6:05?). It wasn't just that it was slower, it was a real effort just to hold that. 11.7 miles when adding in warm up/jog home.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Great parkrunning, everyone!

I wasn't sure I would do parkrun today as I was volunteering to write the run report. I'd planned to run yesterday (after a gym and yoga session on Thursday) but I woke up tired and listless. I ended up just doing yoga and it was a bit of a struggle at times - clearly the hilly, lumpy ground of Streatham Common had knackered out all the little muscles in my lower legs, making the balancing postures particularly challenging.

I woke up feeling OK today (despite being rudely awakened at 2.30am by someone pressing my door buzzer instead of the one they should have pressed - grr) so I decided I'd run. Wore a long sleeved top and then regretted it because it was a lot warmer than it appeared to be through the window.

Ended up chatting to a Chaser I'd chatted to on Facebook but hadn't met, so that was nice. Then zipped off pretty fast once the run started in order to get out of the crush at the start. First mile went down in 8:25, which was very fast for me. Too fast, this time around. I managed to hold it together enough for the second mile (8:30s) so I knew something in the 8:40s should be good enough for the final lap. Somehow, though, I crashed and burned. I didn't feel that I was running that much slower, and my lungs certainly didn't, but that last mile was closer to 9 minutes. Net result was a 26:45 finish - well outside my PB. On the plus side, it's still under 27 minutes, which is good. And on the very plus side, I was first in my age category for the first time. So yay.

I guess the combination of the hill run on Wednesday and the interrupted sleep may have been a factor, but I still need to figure out this pacing thing. Once I go under 9mm, it all feels fast.

Ah well, no parkrun next week (Osterly Park 10K instead). The week after is the day after my birthday, so that looks as good a time to go for the next PB as any. image

• Options

Another 6.1 sneaked in while on on-call

no cakes but nice bowl of mint choc chip ice cream on returnimageimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sub17 another win in wet conditions, well done; good luck for next weekend

Stewart hope the run goes well and that your calves are better

Ollie another speedy parkrun, well done

HM thanks

Stuart good effort with the club, and well done for the extra miles

Cal well done on the age win !

OH nice sneaky 6.1m - mmm ice-cream

----

Club handicap 7k was a disaster - first lap was slightly slower than last time, the second lap I just died.  I wasn't feeling 100%, and I was automatically given an extra 2 minute handicap compared to my first race (rules is rules) - meaning I set off with a younger and skinnier crew who were running at 6mm.  As they drifted off in front of me, I ended up running on my own for almost the entire race - basically I just gave up.  Still, 4.33m at "tempo" is a good workout!

I was also too tired to put in the extra 6m jog back to the station. Meh. image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, Nice run and tasty ice cream yum yum image

Cal, well done at parkrun this morning 

SM, a good session with the club good pace too

Ollie, a good run at parkrun this morning, it is good to have some to chase down

-------------------

5 easy miles earlier, nothing tasty on my run, in fact I felt like Mother Hubbard eating flies!

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH well done on the cold wet miles and on call run.image

Dr Dan well done on the cycle and enjoy the rest day and swimimage

SM6 nice training at pace and gym workimage

Sub 17 is this going to be your first marathon? 

SC Well done for getting out hope the calf are feeling better.image

Teknik 4.33m at "tempo" is a good workout.image

Park run this morning 17:38 plus a warm up and cool down, just going to run easy next week with possibly only one session.

• Options
    OH good running and treats ????

DD have a good rest and a bit of a swim.

SM well done on the club running.

Sub 17 interesting to see how your marathon goes , have you ran any others before? Will it be an easy park run the day before your race?

Stewart now in into bug eating season.

Ollie a decent park run time!

Tek well done on the tempo effort.

NP quality park running ????

800 m x 6 rep session on Thursday at 5:52 , rest yesterday with 15 m @ 7:17 this morning, trying not too loose to much endurance. IT band still a bit pesky!!
  • Options

I have previously ran 6 marathons. 4 of my last 5 marathons I have ran sub 3 hour and 20 mins. My  Marathon PB is 3 hours and 4 mins.

I will be racing my Park Run and pushing for another first place finish as a confidence boost to run my Marathon the next day.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

SM6: Nice running yesterday. image  My local parkrun is Woodbank parkrun, not too difficult until you enter the neighbouring Vernon Park, then there's a nice steep downhill followed by a fairly long uphill.  Speaking of hills, Ron Hill was running it yesterday too. image
    Cal: Nice parkrunning, good that you managed a sub 27. image
    OH: Good 6.1 miles/ice cream eating. image
    Teknik: Sorry the handicap race didn't go too great, good going on sticking through with it though. image
    SC: Nice 5 miles, think I'll stick with the cakes rather than the flies though.
    NP: Great parkrunning as per usual, good stuff. image
    MG1: Nice going on the reps and the 15 miles over the past few days. image
    Sub17: Nice marathon times. image

- - - - - - - - - -

10 miles from me to round off easy week, next week I'll be reintroducing the dreaded quality sessions including some intervals and hills, as well as pacing my long run properly.  Looking forward to it. image

Managed 34.1 miles this week, all easy runs aside from parkrun. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Hi all- I've been a bit lazy, thread- wise, as I was in holiday for a week, then totoally awful 1st week back- I think all I did last week was sleep, and work.

This weekend's been better- time to recover and time for a good run- I did 18 miles yesterday witha group who are all trainig for the same ultra ( clyde stride ). So a nice long slow recce run on undulating trail- although the group were basically all faster than me, so according to fetch, 15% of the run was at faster than my marathon pace (if you call that 9mm), and it was probably a bit faster than ideal, given that I've a marathon in 3 weeks.

Not much other running done in the last 2 weeks- the holiday was in New York area- in the hills north -west of the city. It was good surroundings for running- hills/ countryside, but very hot- a 30 deg heatwave ( or higher) so I just did a couple of short runs. I am trying to also incorporate  few faster intervals to get my ultra- slow legs moving, but not conducive to that in that heat!

I have entered yet another race.....................Glen Ogle 33 miler on 5th nov . I did n't intend to do it, partly becuase entering it is always a real hit- or- miss rush to get logged on  to the race website as soon as the entry opens- so I didn't even try. Howeever, so many folk tried to enter that the website crashed, lots of people seem to have failed to get an entry in, and by this morning, when the chaos settled, there were still 40 places left.......so I nabbed one. I've done the race 4 times, and it's one of my favourites.

So my schedule for this year, having already done 2 ultras, is now:

Arran marathn 25/6

Clyde stride 40 miles 16/7

Glasgow marathon 28/8

Wee eck ultra 30 miles 8/10

Glen Ogle 33 miles 5/11

- this seems like a stupid plan, 1 marathon or longer race per month, except in september- not sure how best to go about trainig for this lot. other than to keep going as long as my body holds out!- Obviously I'll need to learn to race without tapering, or I'll be either recovering or tapering all summer. Won't be doing much speed work though! I must try to remember to avoid entering anything in september!

I have read back the thread, but it's all gone out of my mind- well done on PB's/ fast HM times, cape wrath weeks, etc.

• Options

C U there, Tricia

• Options

Glad I didn't notice GO33 entries had opened. I know a couple of club mates had done Frankfurt/Glen Ogle before, and I'd likely have been tempted to try it. Ultimately it would have been a dumb idea, so thankfully I didn't have the chance of that!

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 Nice 800m session and long runimage

Sub 17 why race the Parkrun the day before? Good luck with it anyway.image

Ollie well done on the 10 miles enjoy the intervals and hillsimage

HM4 any training this week?

Tricialitt well done on the running in the heat, thats some races plannedimage

Just over 10 easy miles this morning marking out the next forest race image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, another good run at parkrun yesterday, followed up with 10 easy miles, 

MG, well done with the 800 repeatsand your 15 mile run yesterday, I hope the IT band isn't causing you to much bother

Ollie, good totals for the week and well done with the easy 10, I'm sure you will enjoy those quality session once there done image

Tricia, well done getting some running done in the heat, and good luck with all those races, a busy Summer by the looks of it

SM, a wise decision, Frankfurt is the goal race, I take it you'll be gunning for a sub 3:15

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Nairn 10 Mile Road Race

Another week another race, I think I have probably raced more this spring than I did for the whole of 2015.  It was another glorious day in the Highlands, the sun was out and not a cloud in the sky and a lovely cooling breeze.  A 2pm start, which seems to be the norm up here, which meant I would be running at the hottest point of the day, I decided to wear a cap for the first time to see if this would help keep the sun off and the sweat out of the eyes.  Arriving just after 1pm I got registered and went for a short warm up before, just about 2 miles, which is just about right for me.  The plan if there was one was to go out at a comfortable pace and not worry about others passing, it was a very small event I think there was only around 80 for the 10 mile race, a lot more for the family 5k which went off after we did.

At 2pm sharp we were sent on our way, the first mile went by fairly easily, it was very warm for me but I felt a lot more in control this week, 8:12.  Running along a farm road with a few twisty bits a few locals out on their sun loungers drinking pims in the sun, a little slower in the second mile I put that down to walking through the first water station 8:27.  Mile three was a bit more rolling but I did enjoy this section and caught and overtook a few, 7:59.  The breeze was now at coming in from the side and it felt nice and cooling but I knew I was due to turn into it for the first time 8:13.  Mile 4 was into the breeze it felt okay and I could see the fun runners ahead turning down the same lane we done earlier, half way now 8:10.  Turning right and a gentle descent and then some flat over the next half mile or so I took on a gel, more for the placebo effect and turning right again just before the 6 mile marker 8:18.  It was starting to feel tough now the breathing was a little laboured but I just tried to keep the tiring legs turning over, another right turn and another rolling section of road 8:13.  Another half mile and it was back onto the same road we came down through miles 5, turning right again and up a short hill, the legs were struggling now but I got to the top and maintained the effort, two miles to go 8:34.  Mile 9 was the slowest, it was hard on the legs more than anything up the final incline before getting back into the town 8:43.  The final mile, I got a bit of second wind coming back in but could reel anyone back in, I was running by myself from around half way, the run back onto the High Street was good there were still a good few 5k fun runners out and the crowds were very supportive, final mile in 7:43, it measured 0.95, so around 8:05 pace. Finish time of 1:22:32 on the watch and a small PB, around 30 seconds.

Another good event and I hope one day to actually like racing in the sun.

• Options

A warm day here too Stewart. Good report and a new PB imageimage

Have you considered the option of looking for a long race in September Tricia?
    Great Langdale Marathon might fit the bill! image

Good 10 mile flag bearing NP

Still on-call here and just 3.1 miles to report. Last real run tomorrow before taper to Lochalsh Dirty 30 on Saturday

• Options

OH - Well done on the on call miles, didn't expect you to actually taper into a raceimage

Stewart - Nice race report and well done on the PBimageimage Definitely not racing weather so, that makes it all the sweeter!image

I think I might keep the time I put as my predicted time when I signed up for Frankfurt to myself for nowimage But aye, it is sub 3:15...

NP - Good 10 this morningimage

Tricia - That's a fair amount of long races! Good luckimage

Ollie - Well done on the 10 and good luck building up from next weekimage

MG - Nice pace for the reps on Thursday and very nice long run yesterdayimage

-----------

Just gym this morning and 3 miles this afternoon. Felt a bit rough from yesterdays beer but not terrible.

2 hours or so long run tomorrow.

• Options

Sitting around on a quiet weekend is bad for the wallet. That's both of us now entered for Fort William Marathon as well as GO33 later in yearimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC well done on the new 10 mile PBimageimageimage and in the sunimage nice ace report

OH well done on the on call miles enjoy the taperimage.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 nice gym work and enjoy your run laterimage

8 miles in the morning sun, really enjoy the heat and trails, stopped to let Buddy have a cool down swim and nearly jumped in myselfimage

• Options

NP - Well done on the warm 8 this morningimage

-----------

15 @ 8:30s this afternoon, again slower than last time but it's best to keep sensible in this heat. Around 57 miles for the last week.

Training group has 4 races organised this week. I'll hopefully do Wednesdays uphill TT, and Thursdays 10k (as a tempo)

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart nice easy 5 and well done on the 10m race - PB on a hot dayimageimage

NP good park run, nice 10m yesterday and well done on the sunny 8 this morningimage

MG take care with that ITB - good intervals session and nice pace on that long run on Saturdayimage

Ollie well done on the 10m and nice total for an easy weekimage

HM thanksimage

Tricia that's an impressive list of long races!image

OH well done for getting that run doneimage

Stuart well done on the 15 in the sun today - and well done on the 57m for last weekimage

---

24C here - 10.8m commute run this morning, at an easy 9mm, but still very hot and sweaty.  Last week petered out with 32m as I decided to have a rest day Sunday. Back on it this week.image

• Options

14.3 over hills then 3.1 loop this evening, hot by Orkney standards at 18C.

Taper begins now.

Last real run before Dirty 30 ...