2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie nice easy 5 yesterday and well done at today's parkrun

HM thanks

Stuart nice 8 this morning

NN well done on the 10.5m at MP - your training is really working out well 

Yellow good effort with the intervals, tempo run and easy run - hope the 15k goes well today

Stewart ouch ! Hope that clears up quickly...

----

6.7m with the club this morning, including 5m steady @ a touch over 8mm, then this afternoon an easy 4.5m to make 11.2m for the day.image

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done Ollie!

Osterley Park 10K did not go well for me today. It's a very nice race, so I don't regret doing it, but in terms of performance it was a bit of a disaster.

Osterley Park itself is lovely - a large house and beautiful grounds curated by the National Trust. A lot of the course is trail, and rather uneven (even muddy in places, so Christ knows what the winter 10K is like!) so it's a pleasant change from the usual.

However, it was warm and very muggy. I opted to start just in front of the 55 minute pacer (given my recent PB was 54:27) and I got through the first mile in 8:37, but after the second mile (a disappointing 9:04) I realised I just had nothing to give. When the 55 pacer came past me, I couldn't even stay with him. I felt as though I was at mile 16 of a marathon. I managed a 9:01 but then it dropped below even HM pace - 9:39, 9:41 and 9:29. Finishing time was 57:31 - my slowest 10K time for two years (even my January 15 comeback race - my first race after the calf tear - was 5 seconds faster than that!).

I slept OK last night. I ate well enough yesterday and only did yoga to give myself enough chance to rest. But I have been tired all week and the humidity didn't help.

It's a shame the last race of my 48th year wasn't a good one, but I hope I can redeem myself at Harry Hawkes in two weeks' time.  That will be my first as a 49 year old (and actually my first 10 miler, ever). Hell, I'll even settle for a good parkrun next weekend.

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Ollie - well done on 2nd place, and bonus 6 mile "commute" to parkrun

Cal - I found in my recent 5k that the terrain made more of a difference than I expected, well done for grinding it out in the heat nonetheless.

SC - sorry to hear about injury, but sensible approach to take it easy, hope you're back to health soon

SM - nice 8 wth Parkrun

Tek - nice double

I decided to save the MLR until tomorrow and hit the gym this morning - general conditioning and stretching. Plan is for recovery on Monday and then 3x2 miles at 10k pace on Tuesday as per the McMillan "ultimate 10k workout" ahead of 10k race in 2 weeks. Then the remainder of the 2 weeks will be easy runs / short intervals to sharpen the pace. And then marathon training starts again for Abingdon image
  • Options
    SM good work on the park run and extra miles today, sure you will continue your good form in the next 10 k

NN thats form looks very encouraging for your marathon training, have you got your VLM enrty confirmed ?

Ollie nice fast parkrun earlier.

Stewart sorry to hear about your injury ????

Yellow nice combination of training

Tek nice double day ????

Cal hope you bounce back in the race in two weeks.

All quiet on the western front for me this week, 43 miles to date including a good 400 m rep session and 17 m today.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Cal, Sorry to hear your race didn't go to plan, I have had a few races this year that have gone south from the start, good luck with the 10 mile race, I am sure you will enjoy it

SM, nice 8 with parkrun in the middle, 

Tek, a good double day today

Ollie, a rapid parkrun and well done getting a second place

Yellow, good to hear the leg is on the mend

NN, a cracking MP run, sub 3:30 shape surelyimage

-------------

I might get out on the bike for an easy cycle, 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure if I should run this morning but then I thought, what the hell, get out for a recovery run. So I did four miles. Weather was a bit cooler but still a little humid. Took it very easy (10:32 average pace) and just enjoyed being out there.

• Options

A mixed bag of results for me in my Park Run and Marathon double. 

I ran my Park Run in 17:42. Today I staggered through a 3:32 marathon with 1h28min and 2h04min splits. 20+ mile training run complete.

7 gels was not enough to avoid the Marathon wall.

I have 2 Half Marathons planned in August in the build up towards my next Marathon in mid-October.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Lots of reading back and some great training taking place even double day trainingimage

Hope the races went well yesterday and Dr Dan today in the Triathlon at Leeds.

Just one comment Sub 17 thats a massive positive  split if you went out slower in the first half you would stay strong to the end and finish with a faster time.

Lots of child minding the grandchildren here but still ran, 17:18 Parkrun yesterday and a nice 16 miles today image VLM FGFA Confirmed and paid for image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening.

Sub17: Nice going on the marathon, good training run done and dusted, well done on the parkrun as well.
    Hope Dr.Dan had a good triathlon.

Well done to everybody on their training, great stuff. image

- - - - - - - - - -

A one-off for me today, a tourist run from Stockport to Buxton via Whaley Bridge. 32.2 miles (plus a small jog in Buxton but no more than a kilometre).  Had a nice pub lunch and an enjoyable day exploring Buxton, not been there properly since I was a child, so a good day out.

I won't be doing this sort of run too often, and certainly not when my marathon schedule starts (some time in the coming weeks).  But a different run and very scenic.  Plus trying out the pubs and cakes ain't all bad for a day trip.

92.6 miles for this week.
    Will be following the P&D 70-85 miles per week plan, would like to move up to 85+ miles per week in the future but I think there's plenty of time for that later, will see how I recover from this 90+ mile week and if I cope well, will consider upping it in future but my last campaign peaked at 72 miles so I think starting from high 60s and capping at mid 80s for Abingdon will prove a useful springboard for future campaigns.  Am also willing to drop down if I can't handle 70-85 miles, will see how it goes.

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Loved the triathlon!image. In fact the whole 50th birthday weekend was good fun ... ending with (very) local boys, the Brownlee brothers, taking home the top 2 elite places. My race went well ... run was tough but even so you can see from the results that I'm more of a runner. Just under 2000 completed the Olympic distance (I came 1076th) and 100th /200 M50s. 2:46:05

Split      Time       Place
    Swim     00:33:08 1303
    Bike       01:16:10 1272
    Run       00:46:25    521

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Cal bad luck at Osterley Park - it is difficult in the heat and humidity

yellow well done on the gym work, and good luck with the tempo intervals tomorrow

MG nice 17 miler and well done on the week's total

Stewart hope the bike ride was ok

Sub17 ouch that training marathon must have hurt!

NP well done on the parkrun time and nice 16m too

HM thanks

Ollie 32.2m tourist run!! Wow, big mileage for the week again

Dr Dan happy birthday and well done at the Tri

---

Just a 3m jog in the rain yesterday, bringing me to 47m for the weekimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Ollie well done on the long run and big miles before you even start P&Dimage

Dr Dan managed to watch the Leeds Triathlon live on TV and fantastic results both for Yorkshire and the Brownlee Brothers. Well done yourself on the swim and bike and a nice run to finishimage Not been in the water for near on two weeks as I hurt my shoulder on a run when I fell down a hole putting my arm out to stop myself. But hope to change that later this week when I'm away for a week to the sun.image

Teknik nice jog in the rain and a nice 47 miles for the week.image

HM4 Any running?

Nice easy 6 miles run in the morning mist hereimage

• Options

Quick dip in  (at CPD course)

Lochalsh Dirty 30 completed in 7h29. Interesting splits but 1h faster than 2013. Els did well completing in 6h 33 also 1h faster than 2013. Fastest runner completed in 4h32

The dark side is obviously tempting you Ollieimage

• Options

5km to a Marathon what a huge leap in distance.

I let the adrenaline get to me and I went for it from the start and it was a huge mistake. 5km done in 18 mins. 10km completed in 38 mins but I dropped more and more time and passed through half in 88 mins were the main highlights of a tough training marathon.

Taking more energy gels was not the magic bullet to make up for going out too hard from the start. 

I now look to bounce back and run an easier training Marathon at a realistic pace from the start and not let the adrenaline rush push me to go too hard from the start. 

I will fit in a few 15 to 18 mile long runs at an easier pace over the next 10 weeks in lead up to my second training marathon in August.

Then it will leave me 6 weeks until my mid-October marathon. Slightly improving upon my Marathon PB by a minute to get 3:03 will be a lot easier than trying to knock off a faster time that I can not possibly obtain.

3 weeks before my second Training Marathon I will be running a  HM race in August. My aim is to run sub 1:22 HM and set a new HM PB. I might run a second HM race in  the place of my second training Marathon.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

NP,

Yes, I went out 3 times last week and can comfortably run 2 miles each time.  This really gentle approach to get me back into the swing seems to be working.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice misty morning 6

OH well done at the Dirty 30, congrats to you and Els on knocking off an hour from last time!

Sub17 first 5k in 18mins!!! No wonder the second half was painful !!!

HM well done on the 3 runs last week

---

3.75m recovery jog, in the pouring rain againimage

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening all. image

Dr.Dan: Nice job on the triathlon, very good.  Well done!
    Teknik: Good going on the weekly mileage and the 3-ish mile runs.
    NP: Nice 6 miles, hope the shoulder is soon fit for swimming.  Though heading to the Sun isn't the best place for a swim... Allegedly.
    OH: Aha, it was enjoyable but will stick on the light side for now...
    Sub17: Hope the marathon experience has taught you how to improve.  18 minute 5k sounds like it'd hurt during such a long distance.
    HM4: Cheers, nice three days running last week.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just 2.2 easy miles for me today.
    Arms hurt, legs weren't exactly brimming with bounciness but seemed fine.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Sub17, well done on the marathon. But yeah, that first 5K... Nutter.

Happy 50th Dr Dan, and glad you had a good triathlon (and with the Brownlees, no less!). 50 is the new 40. (I'm telling myself that because I'm 49 on Friday and it's only a year before I enter the V50s myself).

Ollie, sounds like you should be running ultras! (If that's what OH means by the dark side, then he has a point).

Anyway, spin class yesterday. Since the good instructor has now left, I wasn't sure what I'd get. Turns out a very dull and repetitive class with a lot of standing sprints. My knee didn't like this much so after three sets, I sat down. Haven't booked next week.

Went out and did 5.86 miles today with three tempo. Much cooler, although still T-shirt weather. Two miles to warm up (10:34, 9:51) then three that were supposed to be around HM pace and turned out like Goldilocks (8:55 - a bit too fast but downhill; 9:37 - a bit too slow but uphill; 9:12 - just right). The jogged the remainder home.

Knee's not very happy but it will have to lump it until Harry Hawkes is out of the way.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

Cal: Nice Goldilocks running, hope the knee gets better soon.  I think the ultras is what OH means by the dark side.  Think I'll focus on marathons for the time being, but maybe in a few years time...

- - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday is normally quality session day so went for a 3 mile Fartlek run, nothing too difficult but enough to make me work.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

10 wet miles out and back along the Fife coastal trail from St Andrews. Not very summery weather here image

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

In London it alternated between sunny and torrential rain yesterday, OH. It was fine when I ran but the heavens opened when I was lugging my shopping back from the supermarket. It started spitting a couple of hundred yards from my house and then turned into the kind of rain that makes you wonder if it's time to start building an Ark. By the time I'd got to my door I was soaked through.

Fortunately, the weather is beautiful this morning. I woke up early and was out running just after six. I realised I have not managed to run double digits since my marathon, and with a 10 miler in a week and a half, I kind of needed to do that.

I set out at an easyish pace (actually more or less MP) thinking I would stick with that, but then, as I felt pretty good, I thought I'd push it a bit and do the last two miles a bit quicker because I'm generally a bit crap at pacing during races.

Miles went 10:19, 10:27, 10:07, 10:41, 10:09, 10:24. 10:03, 10:07, 9:32, 9:16.

It was quite tough towards the end but, hey, negative split achieved, and, more to the point, after some tempo miles yesterday, that's pretty satisfying.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

NP - hope the shoulder improves... sure some sun will help!

sub 17 ... crikey, that was a speedy start to a marathon. Good way to learn though. image

AOH - well done on the hour improvement! And the 10 wet ones.

Cal - I used to live very near Osterley Park ... remember the devastation to the trees there when the "hurricane" hit in 1990. Well done on the running.

Olli - good fartleking.

Just bike commuting for me so far ... legs are still mashed from Sunday but I refuse to get the bus! image.

MEANWHILE ... I have a training plan for the Abingdon campaignimage... given the nature of this thread, it's about time I considered marathon training! I'm going to follow Hanson's advanced plan but it may need some adaptation as I do need to bike commute too, which may mean dropping some easy "filler" runs and compensating on the bike and in the pool (as in FIRST). I also need to keep Saturdays as my rest day (Dad's taxi, shopping, housework, etc) ... so I think I will ratchet everything along a few days, and attempt my two long runs on Tues & Wed (instead of Sat & Sun) by leaving the bike at work, run commuting home Tues night and then back again Wed morning (ticking the Hanson's accumulated fatigue box). This leaves Sunday as the tempo day and Friday as the speed day. We shall see!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie well done on the recovery jog and last night's fartlek

Cal nice training - spin class, tempo and a solid progressive 10 miler

Dr Dan sounds like a plan!

OH well done for getting the 10 wet miles in

HM thanks

---

Another recovery joglet 3m yesterday, and then 8.6m with 7m @ MP with the club tonight. Humid here againimage

• Options

Trying to emulate Chariots of Fire this evening along the West Sands in St Andrews. Weather still wet cold and windy image

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

OH: Nice running, did you have Vangelis following on keyboards?
    Cal: Nice 10 miler, good confidence booster getting a negative split in training.
    Dr.Dan: Good commuting, nice to see you stick to your training principles and refuse the bus. image  All the best for your Abingdon campaign.
    HM4: Thanks.
    Teknik: Nice joglet yesterday, good run today image

- - - - - - - - - - 

A wet 'n' wild 8 miles run at a not so wild pace.

But s'all good. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Just Mr Bean in obstenato mode!image Ollie

home later today, picking up youngest daughter on route

• Options

On Wednesday I cycled for 3 hours.

Today I completed a 5km treadmill run, 30 mins weights and finished with a 2 mile treadmill run.

5km @ 6m30sec mile pace. 2 miles @ 6 minute mile pace.

Tomorrow will be a rest day ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

I expect to break 18 mins in my Park Run again, less than a week after running a marathon.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

OH: Aha, fair enough. image
    Sub 17: Nice running today, especially post-marathon.  Good look getting sub-18 this weekend.

- - - - - - - - - - 

5.4 miles from me today.

1.2 mile warm up, then decided to repeat the 5 x 1k with 0.5k recovery.

Splits: 3:30, 3:34, 3:38, 3:36, 3:41.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image