Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    Nope. Still resting. Going for a week of nothing but walking. It's weird not having to think about training all the time. I don't quite know what to do with myself.

Not planning on running further than a few miles for a bit but going to really focus on strengthening my quads and core. I want to get stronger and faster and seeing orthotics guy again in a couple of weeks. Hoping orthotics nail some of my injury woes.

Going out for a meal and drinking wine is also odd after weeks of being good!
  • Options

Kieran,

I have done a couple of recovery runs since last Sunday, the total distance covered is just over 31 miles and am loking forward to clearing the cobwebs tomorrow - at least 13 miles I think.

• Options

So a very strange week! The highs of Sunday and Monday followed by a real low on Thursday and Friday and apparently post marathon blues is a real thing!

About to go out for my first fun since last Sunday - hope I can still remember how to! I've booked a 10k at the end of May and given my speed (!) I think I'm now going to focus on getting a bit faster at distances like the 10k and the half which I really started to enjoy.  

I loved my marathon and it was amazingly moving.  I didn't tell you about the fact I couldn't breathe after it but managed to down some very cold beer later... I'm still hanging around this thread though even though I'm not doing one again. 

Hope that's okay. image

• Options

Blithe, I am sure I say on behalf of all others, the more the merrier.

To the newbies my run record from 1 January reads:

YTD = 707.73 miles in 129 hours 21 minutes and 37 seconds in 77 run sessions

Making the averages read 

9,19 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes and 48 seconds at 10 minutes 58 seconds a mile per session

All this includes 17 Parkruns

• Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    ML I haven't ran either really and it's nice. Lots of walking. I am going to set myself a running plan as I don't want to lose my fitness. I have an 18 mile off road run in June that is gruelling so need to keep it up.

Blythe good idea. Those shorter distances will help you get the speeds up. Give you more confidence in your ability. I also felt quite low. All that hard work. All that excitement and sense of achievement then nothing. No focus no plan ! Xx
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Well done on the recovery work/eating everyone !

Blithe, you are hereby required to continue contributing to this thread. Plus, the best way to banish the post-marathon blues must be to get your name in the ballot tomorrow ?!

Harmander, I'm disappointed with your training pacing - it's 2 seconds too fast, please slow down to exactly 11-minutes per mile image

I've had a good couple of weeks - running every other day. I'm following a plan on RunKeeper called "Run 4 Fat Loss". It's a mix of shorter, faster runs and intervals, along with building up the longer runs again towards the local (High Easter) 10k in a few weeks' time. The knee has withstood it so far and I'm up to 6k again (also much faster than I was when marathon training) with no pain. Just disappointed this level of recovery couldn't have happened in time for London image

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks for the link, Kieran. one recovery run so far, 3 miles and a fair bit of discomfort in knees and one toe! Elliptical trainer yesterday and 20 miles on the bike today, MUCH easier!

Anyone else using Jeff Gaudette's recovery plan?

I don't have much of use to offer first-timers, other than to say that

a) it's amazing and 100% worth it, 

b) there's a lot to be said for following a plan - I went with Jeff Galloway and would recommend it to a novice runner,

c) next time I'm going to concentrate on my aerobic capacity: during the marathon my HR was stable at c.155 for the first 13.5 miles, then suddenly spiked to 185 even though my pace stayed the same. I didn't notice anything until 19 miles, when my legs went heavy and I could feel cramp in both thighs. It seems that I ran on vapours for an hour and then the legs gave up. I slowed down and HR stabilised, but still 19-25 was a fairly dark place. The euphoria of the last mile can't be explained in words, 

d) eat something afterwards, even if you don't want to. I ended up fainting in a lift!

Bring on the ballot of truth!

• Options

Kieran, I will try to slow down - or go for pacing at 4:45 pace which will mean speeding up by 33 seconds per mile.

Mattmaximus, so my 45 miles in a week since finishing the marathon does not quite fit the recovery plans you mention?

Oh well, I will just have to run another one next week then - Halstead already booked lol

• Options

Not sure they write plans for you, Harmander - pretty sure they've marked you as a lost cause!

For me, I'm confident that if I'd done much more then I could have done myself some harm. 4 or 5 miles tomorrow, that'll be plenty!

• Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    After following the Hal higdon novice 2 training programme I have just seen he does a recovery programme also. For 1 week post marathon then 4 weeks thereafter. It will suit me well I think. Although going away for some sun Thursday but on the whole it looks gentle and good. So many I know have gone straight out running as normal. Glad I haven't as you have to give your body that rest. Nothing to gain by getting out there !
  • Options

Lol, 

You are right, one must listen to one's body.- I just tell mine to keep quiet and get on with it

• Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    We have a saying in our club "shut up legs" so when they hurt we tell them to just shut up
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Entry submitted! I've been taking it easy too since the HM and will be back to my "normal" schedule this week. Two runs home from work of between 3-5 miles depending on the route I take, parkrun on Saturday and a long run on Sunday.

Off to buy some new trainers shortly.????
  • Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    VLM 2017 entered BOOM!!

Good luck all!!
  • Options

3rd time lucky maybe? *fingers crossed*

• Options

Ooh the new way of doing the Ballot is less stressful!

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    'er indoors just threw her name into the hat. Could be fun if She gets in image
  • Options

I have entered 'er indoors too, will tell her in April next year lol

• Options

I'm in the Ballot! Hi guys, finger crossed all round. I guess I'd better get some running going again, not run for 18 months and gained a couple of stone in the meantime... starting again with C25K this week... better get booked in for a 10K for the Summer I think...

• Options

Ballot entered! Now we wait..... Good luck everyone image

Thinking British 10k in July may be a good shout!

• Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

My recovery has consisted of eating my own weight in chocolate, moving very little and wondering if the hair on my legs will grow back in time for Summer (due to numerous kinesiology tapings).

Plus, i definitely didn't just enter the ballot.

Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    Is that a definitely didn't but secretly did, DB7X or a most definitely didn't?

Good luck to those of you who have entered.

I know what you mean about eating a lot too. Lots of cake this week. Yummy.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Hello all image

Did my first run on Sat since stairs episode (3 weeks ago?), only a park run and was rather slow, foot held up OK but there is still some pain and swelling there, which I'm a bit surprised about.  Got a few minor races in the next few weeks which hopefully I'll be OK for although one is a inter-club cross country event so may have to forego that as the uneven terrain may be too difficult at the moment.

I need to get myself back into some proper training and pick up the speed I had appeared to lose prior to my injury anyway, I have sprint tri entered on 16th so need to get back in the pool too!  It's all goimage

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Looks like there's going to be plenty of company here!

Trying out the new trainers on my run home tonight - really hope that they are an improvement on the last ones that made me sound like a herd of elephants when I ran. Gait analysis this time indicated that a neutral shoe would be fine and I've opted for a men's trainer so that I can get the width that I need. Wish that sports manufacturers wouldn't tweak their designs - caused me no end of trouble image

Lovely morning out there for a run but here I am stuck behind my desk. Oh well, have to pay for those race entries some how!

Have a great day
  • Options

I have entered the ballot also, think its fourth or fifth year in a row now, surely its my turn!!

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Join the queue Mr PotatoHead - I've been rejected every year since 2012 - have you ever been lucky in the ballot?
  • Options
    CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭

4th entry to the ballot this year. No success yet, and the odds got worse last year so not holding out much hope. At least the email was faster than waiting for the rejection mag.

• Options
    Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭

1 mile on the gym treadmill yesterday! The road from shin splints injury and to VMLM 2017 has now begun!

Started the treadmill very slowly but couldn't resist increasing the speed and ended up running 3/4 of the mile at 7.30 min / mile pace. To run without pain for the first time in weeks was actually quite an emotional moment - I am now a runner again.

I'm still going to take it easy though and don't plan on running outside until June. Just the occasional run on the treadmill 1-2 times a week while I'm at the gym using the cycling and cross trainer machines. I'm also doing all the stretching and strengthening exercises recommended to me by my physio.

• Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    You're about right Midlands Lass.

Might do my first ever parkrun on Sat as my first run back. Or i might sit on my butt and eat biscuits.