Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Kenno - so pleased for you :D . You did a cracking job of supporting at Race to the Stones last summer, you deserved a good one.

Katey - don't despair, you've still got a month to go and if you can get to 16 miles now you'll get round. But agree that you should consider new shoes, and if you are diabetic, have a word with your doc.

Thoughts on hot weather (although the forecast looks OK at the moment). 
    Don't just swig extra water because you think you should. Drink to thirst, and use electrolytes (salt tablets are easy to take, just knock them back with water - easier than trying to dissolve things like High 5, although that works if you're carrying your own water). 

Wear a hat and a buff/scarf and soak them at every water stop (cover any potential chafing points with tape though - there's a reason the race instructions used to mention 'Two small bandages for your tits'). 

And if it's very hot, you will be slower, so adjust your targets. Last year I ran two half marathons two weeks apart. Similar flat courses, similar fitness levels. The only difference was the second one was 10 degrees cooler. I was 6 minutes faster, and the perceived effort was much less.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Kenno (and Orbutt)! Truly inspiring to see everyone finish last year. And encouraging that there's lots of slower runners too.
    Trained last week but skipped my long run this weekend as it didn't fit in with life. Back on track now, 'ready' for another 20-miler this Friday - last long run before taper. I'm excited and determined, but nervous...
  • Options
    Great video, love the opening music.
    Thanks for updating the lists Nells and Kenno and well done on the marathon.
    £20 lighter here courtesy of the dr.  Hopefully I'll get plenty of use out it  ;)

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I just watched the video again too. I'm feeling inspired. 

Come on everyone. 4 weeks today and we'll all telling our stories of what went well, what didn't and planning out next marathons. We're nearly there!
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Although not quite in the league of kenno's sub 4 marathoning on Saturday, I suppose I should get in that I ended up not being sensible on Sunday and went for it at the North London Half. Felt better than the previous week, and although it rained it was more of a drizzle than the deluge I had in Wales so somehow made it despite it being nearly as hilly as the week before in 1:58:41, which has given me a big boost with a month to go to Paris. 

I've got 21 miles on the plan for my last long tun next weekend, but there's no chance I'll be able to do it on Sunday due to non running life getting in the way, so trying to work out when to fit it in now without annoying all my nearest and dearest  :/ 
  • Options
    Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Med cert signed... cost me £12.50. Probably blame the price increase on Brexit... as last year it was free
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody for the encouragement and motivational push. I was ready to throw it all in yesterday.

Didn't run today as still feeling sore and was meant to be a day off anyway but I still did my 10,000 steps walking so not totally sedentary.

Shoe wise they are only about three months old and not my only pair. I pronate and had my gait analysed and a pair recommended to me. When they started to look battered I got exactly the same pair having my gait analysis done again. Then a month later I won the Sweatshop parkrun runner of the month prize so got another pair to put aside. I started to break those in at the start of the year alternating with my older ones. I've suffered with bad blisters in the past so would be very worried about going for a new pair now but will try some cushioned insoles. I'll take them into my local running shop and see if they will take a look and check my gait again. 

I just want to finish, even if it's a crawl, before they pack up the medals. I just don't know how I could do another 10 on top of Sunday's awful run.

Great finishers video thank you for sharing, nice to see a whole range of runners from the super speedy to the slower (but still faster than me) runners. I noticed the clock on the arch was different times to the times on the screen if that makes sense. Is that due to the staggered start? 

Reading up I'm concerned about <span>plantar fasciitis as this describes exactly what I seem to have but I will see what happens next run. </span>
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I am seeing my diabetic consultant in a few weeks so will ask his advice too.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Not sensible is my middle name Nells. S*it or bust. Welcome to the club! Great run. 
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Katey - yes, the time on the arch is gun time, but it can take more than an hour for the runners at the back to cross the start, so their chip time will be different.

For anyone who suspects they have plantar fasciitis, this is well worth a read. It's often caused by tight calves - if the calves are knotted, it can be the weakest point in the lower limb that gives way, which may be the sole of the foot. The massage trick of using your opposite knee to massage your calf is well worth learning - you may be surprised at the knots you find in there.

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=55&Itemid=161
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Thanks kenno! I've been hoping to get there this year, so glad to have ticked it off the list :-) 

Katey - I struggled a bit last year and the year before with PF. Rolling my foot over one of those spiky massage balls seemed to help a bit, as well as the frozen bottle of water trick, but strangely what seemed to help most was wearing wedges. Unless in trainers, I tend to be either barefoot or in flats (I work from home!), but I found an old pair of wedge sandals that were much more comfortable to walk around in, even if it was a bit of a strange look with pyjamas... Touch wood I've not had any pain in my foot this year, but I still keep the wedges and spiky ball handy just in case.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Just an idea Katey - if you are worried about finishing in time, why don't you move up pens? I think you can move up as far as the yellow pen without any proof of how fast you will go. You can do this at the expo or possibly on your ASO account (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). 

If if it takes over an hour for all runners to start, then that's extra time you get and might make you feel better. Just a thought. And if any of us see you we'll give you a massive shout out!
  • Options
    1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dom, Emmy and RR - hat and electrolytes ordered, and ready to re-set expectations for warmer weather 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Nells, I missed your <span>1:58:41 half time, that's fantastic!

I've got a spikey ball and think it helped but will try and use it more. My calf muscles are very tight at present so I do think that could be related.

Kenno, that might just be a genius idea! I presume the 6 hour cut off starts from the last runner over the start line? My only concern is getting in the way and spoiling other people's races. Plus the temptation to start faster than I should. That could potentially give me seven hours though ... I'm very tempted to try although it's not really in the spirit of the starting pens! </span>
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Katey I'm sure there are many people who start in the wrong pen. As long as you know what pace you need to do and don't get carried away then what's to lose? As you've seen in the video there are a lot of people finishing in over 6 hours with over 7 hours gone by from when the race started. 

If you are mindful of faster runners and keep over the the side then I can't see why you'd get in the way. 
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Nells. Solidly under two!
    Katey, if you look at last year's finish times people were finishing in 7 and 8 hours. I think the cut-off is when they reopen the roads.
    http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/the-race/results/results-marathon
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done kenno and Nells. Hope you're both still enjoying the afterglow.
  • Options
    Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic effort Nells, good luck on your 21M run.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, and well done Kenno on a sub 4 practice run - that's awesome!

Great day at the Bath Half on Sunday, perfect weather, not too hot and basically windless (hope that continues at Paris, as with some other's on here, I don't perform well in the heat!)

Came in at 1:30:53, really surprised myself knocking about 5 minutes off last year's time there and a new PB! Bit more confidence for Paris and London now, just need to keep it up and work on the stamina for the longer runs.

On that note - anyone running the Hampton Court Palace half on Sunday - I'm in London at the weekend and I've been offered a place but really need to do about 22 miles that day; thinking of either running to the race and trying to time my arrival for the start to make the race the last 13, or do the race then carry on (maybe just lap most of the route again?

Does anyone have experience of that race and can let me know if that sounds like a good idea or not?

Thanks
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Wow Chris, you are on fire! Paris and London? Are you doing them both? Or next year?

ive done 2 runs this week, felt very sluggish. How long is it acceptable to bask in sub 4 glory? Can I have beer again tonight? ;-)
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Kenno I've done one run and wanted to walk after the first mile and that's without any sub-4 glory to bask in!

It was midday and very hot along Brighton seafront though. My legs just felt knackered although I settled into it by the end and had no foot pain (it was only 5km on my lunch break). 

I think I will try and get into a faster pen to give me more time. I'm going to finish even if it's on my hands and knees.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Katey: just to confirm what others have said; if you can start sooner then it'll help. But please be careful as sometimes they will try to "sweep" you into the vehicle. A friend was caught in this two years ago and she had her finish time as 6.30. 

I'm not sure how true it is but I've heard they're getting stricter on the cut offs to be able to compete with the majors and start to make things more "serious". 

Well done on the run! 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    That's worrying Emmy. There are definitely people listed as well over 6.30 in the results from last year. Was she in one of the last pens? 
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hello peeps. 
    Been lurking, as I'm not doing Paris this year but I thought I would join in the fun as the excitement builds. 

I'll have to get used to this new format. Also, how do I get my avatar back?

Katey. I think if someone has a time of greater tha 6:30 then the likelihood is that they started in an earlier pen and therefore got the time advantage that you are considering. 
    We had a runner, two years ago, who started at the back of the pink pen and finished around 6:30 but didn't get a time as they had taken up the timing mats before she crossed the line. 
    She got her medal, though. 

• Options
    Hiya guys so I just got my doctor to sign a medical certicate I download of the Paris marathon website, Iv attached a photo above ^ he's crossed out the examination bit and put what looks like the word "Reurds" I didn't have an exmination as he's my doctor and I just asked him to sign, but don't no what he means by that word? WIll they accept that? 
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Katey, I've got a friend training for Liverpool, and they're discussing the virtues of dextrose for fuel.
    "As a type 1 diabetic I always carry dextrose with me for emergencies. They are great when blood levels drop. I know a few other diabetics that have 1 per mile on marathons to keep levels up if that helps at all
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    > @kenno said:
    > Wow Chris, you are on fire! Paris and London? Are you doing them both? Or next year?
    >
    > ive done 2 runs this week, felt very sluggish. How long is it acceptable to bask in sub 4 glory? Can I have beer again tonight? ;-)

If you mean me, (not Chris :) ), then yes, both this year - not sure how I'm handling the 2 weeks between yet!

I think an easier week is an acceptable sub-4 celebration - as long as you get back on it at the weekend. Beer is carbs I think - go for it.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    > @Gregory Curtis2 said:
    > Hiya guys so I just got my doctor to sign a medical certicate I download of the Paris marathon website, Iv attached a photo above ^ he's crossed out the examination bit and put what looks like the word "Reurds" I didn't have an exmination as he's my doctor and I just asked him to sign, but don't no what he means by that word? WIll they accept that? 

Looks like "records" to me ?
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Nicko1981 I did Paris and London last year and treated the 'two weeks'  as a taper assuming Paris was the last long run if that makes sense. I suffered badly in Paris with the heat (I was thebigone )  and ran flow but knocked 25 minutes off my time running London about 2weeks later where it was overcast and 14 degrees.
    katey hang in there you are doing really well-check all the things the others have said and take heart, you are motivated and will do it. Just make sure you are taking care of your condition.