Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Picked up my entry form at the FLM exhibition. Just need to get a euro cheque and then post it off. Will really need to work at this to get round by October. Made a bet with hubby (VFR) that whatever he did in FLM I would beat in Dublin. Fortunately (or Unfortunately not sure which yet) he did 5.01 so I have now got to do 5hrs in Dublin. Help!!!! Just glad he din't go any faster as he usually does.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    What do you get if you win the bet?

apart from the satisfaction of course!
  • Options
    One miffed hubby. Now of course he is saying I will never do that. He may have a point but I am not going to let him know that. I will just have to try really hard.
  • Options
    cor
    i really fancy going sub 5 myself
  • Options
    Hi Benz, Well done in London. Is that your best time for the marathon. Couldn't remebmer what you did previously. How are you feeling now? Roughly 26 weeks to Dublin you can do it.
  • Options
    no it isnt speedy
    had an awful race actually
    never mind

(feel carp, another 'thon on sunday)
    26 weeks-is that all
    EEK!
  • Options
    Sorry you had an awful race. Hubby felt not bad considering the fact the furthest he ran in training (and this meant 1 or 2 times a week) was 6 miles. The weather was a bit of a drawback. I got soaked several times chasing round the course, spectating at several places. Met Shambler at 18 miles.
    Unless I really nuckle down and do the training and lose some weight I haven't a hope of doing 5hrs but I am not letting hubby know this!!!
  • Options
    bet you could do sub 5 without losing the weight
  • Options
    No chance. I was looking back at my running diaries and I weighed 4 stone less than I do now when I did 4.33 in London. Mind you I could lose the 4 stone but I couldn't lose the 9 years 'cos that was in 1995. It doesn't seem that long ago. Since then my marathon times have crept up and the last marathon I did was 4 years ago in London and I did 5.48 so I suppose anything between these two times would be good.
  • Options
    Im not going on a d**t for anyone
  • Options
    You don't need to.
    Ah well this is my day off as I am working the weekend so I am off to do some hill walking in preperation for the Highland Cross which is in 8 weeks time then I need to get out on my bike and do some of that too. Sounds good but as it is raining I wonder just how much I will do.
    Catch you later.
  • Options
    bye bye speedy

i should haul my carcass out for a plod anyway
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Speedy G - with a good summer of marathon training I reckon you could do sub 5, and you'd maybe lose a bit of weight along the way (without dieting).

it's such an incentive when you have a challenge like that. When I entered my first road ultra, one of my running club colleagues commented that I would need a torch to finish. I have done that same event 3 times and twice I have beaten him, and both times within 2 miles of the finish. I have seen him on the horizon, put my head down and ran my bloody socks off and sailed past him. He then commented that hilly courses didn't suit him and traveled to Scotland to do a road ultra there. One mile from the finish I flew past him, he no longer makes comments like that. But I have to thank him really as it's made me run better during the latter stages of a race.
  • Options
    good one

Torch to finish
    i did at draycote though!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    yeh, but my race was mid-summer not mid winter like Draycote!
  • Options
    Loosing weight sounds like a good idea!! I gotta shift 2 stone before Cardiff marathon, october 3rd. Then I will have plenty of room for Guiness on October 26th, 27th and 28th!! Roll on Dublin here we come!!
  • Options
    Shades - it would be my dream to pass him but he is so competetive that there is no way he would let me beat him. I can dream though.
    Hopefully with the training I will lose some weight. Did a 4 mile run yesterday morning followed by a 4 mile forest walk in the afternoon. I bought one of these GPS running watches at the FLM and found that it is a real motivator.
    Must go as off to work now. Bye
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Speedy, is it a Garmin or a Timex and is it good as I'm looking at getting one. Ta.
  • Options
    soon as ive got Potteries mara out of the way, i can start a Dublin training thread
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    just one after another now!
  • Options
    I dont have one in may
    and now Im worried cos i dont have a half til september
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cinders - the one I bought is a Reebok but it is made by Timex. I have also been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 201 and wish I had bought that instead. Hubby is looking at it on the website and he may buy that one and sell the other. It really was good though. I enjoyed my run and my walk with it. I would never have walked for 4 miles through the forest but it kept you motivated. It was the same in the morning with my run. I would usually have stopped at a certain point but when the watched showed 1.75 where I would normally have turned it made me carry on till it read 2 miles and then turn back making a 4 mile run. It also made me realise just how slow I had been running. 13.21 min miles and on the downhill part I got to 8.2 min miles. That was quite a surprise with the difference.
    I would say it is worth buying one.
  • Options
    Cinders - Hubby has just told me the Garmin one has a virtual runner on it. You can set it to what ever pace you want and then you have to try and beat it. It also has a map system. The Timex is only a speed and distance GPS. Oh and the Garmin one counts how many calories you have used up!!!!!
  • Options
    Boing for Splodge
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Oh it is Bodge...Sorry;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Boing for Bodge
  • Options
    Been away, what's been happening. I will read.
  • Options
    Cheers Speedy missed this one first time round.. Will read and see what is happening

• Options
    Speedy G. & Cinders,

I've got a Garmin Forerunner 201 - and it's a good piece of kit. I don't tend to use the virtual training partner - I just tend to use for it's pace readouts, but you can program it for intervals too. You can hook it up to a P.C. to download your runs but the P.C. software is a bit basic (I think they are planning new versions). Only complaints are that it takes a couple of minutes to acquire the GPS satelites and if you're running through trees on a cloudy day then it can lose signal. I don't know how this compares to other GPS's.
    I picked up in the US for the equivalent of 70 quid, which is a bargain (but you need a transformer).

The biggest problem is after this weekend's runs I've got a nice big rectangular white patch on my wrist.