Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I can't remember when my knees and/or legs last didn't hurt.
    As you say though plenty of time. By my reckoning the standard RW 15-week training schedule should start on 12th July.
  • Options
    LFVLFV ✭✭✭
    Speedy G, you don't email ActivEurope, they never answer. You enter online with them and just wait for your number to come through.
  • Options
    ...or pick it up, as is the case for this one.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    They are usually pretty late in sending the details and it's only a card stating your race no. etc. One year we didn't get them until 3 days before the race. The closing date is not until 8th Oct so they may not send them before that.

any problems email Carol the orgainiser at Dublin she is a gem.
  • Options
    La Fee Verte - I tried entering on line but they want a credit card and I only have a switch card which they don't accept. E-mailed them to ask why they didn't accept switch but as you say they never answered. I picked up an entry form at the FLM but have misplaced it but even on that they wanted a credit card or a eurocheque. So any one with an answer to how I actually enter this PLEASE let me know.
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this would work but doyou have a friend/colleague with a credit card that can be used to enter you with in your name and you pay them back?
  • Options
    Hi Cinders Yep think I will have to go down this road. Why do they make things so difficult. Not every one has a credit card.
  • Options
    you want me to enter ya speedy
  • Options
    Hi Benz
    Thanks for the offer. If I have no joy getting entered I will e-mail you, You're a wee gem.
  • Options
    Here's the list of who is running Dublin. Add your name on if it's not already here.

Andre
    crosscountry Pat
    Dave Roberts 2
    galloper
    Glo
    Hippo
    Mackem
    Nellie 64
    Nellie 64s sister
    Sarcy
    Shades
    Speedy G
    Steady
    Suffolk Punch
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    I have decided to make this my first marathon!!! I have done a couple of halfs, when should I start the serious training? I have ordered the marathon running for mortals book from amazon (on special at (£6.99 at the moment!) Has anyone read it?

Andre
    crosscountry Pat
    Dave Roberts 2
    galloper
    Glo
    Hippo
    Mackem
    Nellie 64
    Nellie 64s sister
    parrotmad
    Sarcy
    Shades
    Speedy G
    Steady
    Suffolk Punch
  • Options
    I started my training schedule last week. I won't get serious though til I get on the plane to Dublin.... ;o)...and maybe not even then...
  • Options
    btw...do you actually have a parrot?...what kind?
  • Options
    Im doing it, its my first one, and im v excited but v nervous. My knees hurt too!!!

Andre
    crosscountry Pat
    Dave Roberts 2
    galloper
    Glo
    Hippo
    Mackem
    Nellie 64
    Nellie 64s sister
    parrotmad
    Sarcy
    Shades
    Speedy G
    Steady
    Suffolk Punch
    TillyP
  • Options
    There was a fuller list of people a couple of pages back - I've added the parrotmad.
    Starting Dublin specific training on 9th August - until then doing a schedule of about 40 mpw with 1 speed session, 1 tempo and a 15 mile long 'un per week. Then it's onto the RW 15-week ultimate schedule. My knees are bearing up at the moment but they'll be ready for the taper by October.

Andre
    Barkles
    Cinders
    crosscountry Pat
    Dave Roberts 2
    galloper
    Glo
    Hippo
    Jen M
    Mackem
    Muzza 2:59:59
    Nellie 64
    Nellie 64s sister
    parrotmad
    Sarcy
    Shades
    Snails Pace
    Speedy G (probably)
    Steady
    Suffolk Punch
    Tilly P
    Toucan
    Turkey Breath
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    I have a cockatiel named Alex, he's in my picture! I am currently only doing about 15 miles of running a week, but cycling/gym/spinning classes too - should I up my mileage (gradually!) to about 40 miles a week or something like that? Some weeks I only do 1 run, anything from 1.5 - 2 hours.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Would recommend running about 3 times a week. One session as your 'long' run and 2 shorter runs. Try and not to run on consecutive days, and yes increase mileage gradually. the most important run is the long run, I would increase that by 2 miles every other week, but once you get to 12 miles keep that one roughly the same.

so long runs will be e.g. 10/12/12/14/12/16/12/18/12

would also advise doing a couple of races too, 10k and certainly a half marathon.
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    I am entered in the great north run, I may try and do a couple of 10k's before. I am doing 12-14 miles on my long runs at the moment, I think I will keep those as they are for a few weeks and just run at least twice more throughout the week then...then once I am used to that increase the longer run...hopefully that should work!

What sort of time are people hoping to complete in? I did 1:54 for the Hastings half in bad conditions this year so is aiming for around 4 hours realistic?
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    For me its going to be a see how I do. Waiting for an operation to take a plate out of my leg so will all depend on when I have that done and how soon back on my feet! Was Hastings the same day as Silverstone Flora Half, if so can sympathise with the weather!!!!
  • Options
    I promise to go to the Social this time....last year I was too ill.
  • Options
    Social? What social? Who's organizing a social?
  • Options
    hi, ive signed up for this one, thanks to running partners!

Andre
    Barkles
    Cinders
    crosscountry Pat
    Dave Roberts 2
    galloper
    Glo
    Hippo
    Jen M
    Mackem
    Muzza 2:59:59
    Nellie 64
    Nellie 64s sister
    parrotmad
    Sarcy
    Scarlett1
    Shades
    Snails Pace
    Speedy G (probably)
    Steady
    Suffolk Punch
    Tilly P
    Toucan
    Turkey Breath

looking forward to the weekend away!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Glo -
    forumites + race + alcohol += social
  • Options
    ;o) .... does this mean you're in charge of the social organizing? :-D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Not me,I couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery.

..come to think of it, that's exactly what this social will be!

I'll leave it to those forumites that have been in Dublin the last few years for the marathon (Richk etc), I've run Dublin the last few years too, but just gone over for the day so am familiar with the bus station and the ferryport - neither of which I would recommend as suitable venues.

I'll be there for 4 nights, how about you Glo?
  • Options
    We arrive Sunday morning and leave Tuesday morning.

Rich claims he's too busy to come to Dublin this year...as if. Guess we need a new social director for Dublin....hhhmm... Any volunteers?
  • Options
    Now my pains from the FLM have subsided I'm thinking about signing up for this....
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Let's choose someone who lives there, they will know all the best places to go.
  • Options
    MJT?

Mick...well, in the same country... :o)

Who else?
  • Options
    I second MJT!!