Options

2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    6 miles easy today. Didn't feel like it at all after another very poor sleep but the sun was shining so I got myself out there.
    Well done on the 21, Stuart.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Stuart well done on the long run - thats a great way to do it  :) The pictures from the XC certainly looked messy. Definitely not for me!!
    Nice long run Teknik and good total for the week.  :)
    OH sounds like the recovery is going well. Nice that you can still swim.  :)
    Cal that's a great result - well done!  :) good too that you managed a recovery run. I hope that the back is behaving.
    Stewart good that all is well after the canal run and well done on all the cross training that you are doing  :)
    NP great result at parkrun :)  I think we are all ready for spring and some drier weather although I'm just happy that there hasn't been too much snow. Having said that I was driving through the stuff to get to my run yesterday! 
    Tricia I hope the lurgy is clearing up.  :)
    Another great park run Sub17.  :)
    I ended up on the treadmill on Saturday as it was tipping rain. Should have done the park run but no point in me sliding around a muddy field for a substandard time and my ankle in worse shape that when I started. Did 8 miles with 2 lots of 5k faster. Sunday was long run day so for a change drove towards Cairngorm and did an out an back run - didn't bargain on a hideous headwind on the way out (which died down before I came back - typical!) total 18 miles offroad. Total miles for the week - 52.5. 
    Yesterday was a 5.5 mile recovery run and some mile reps this morning  :)
    F
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Stuart well done for slogging out the 21 miler
    Cal nice easy 6m
    Fiona good treadie session Saturday; well done on the offroad long run, good total for the week.  Nice double session today, too!
    ---
    Commute run into London today of 11m.  Very nice in the sun but when it clouded over I really felt the cold ! :)
  • Options
    Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My training week so far:
    Monday: 2 treadmill runs for a total of 6 miles + 7km on rowing machine.
    Wednesday: 4 treadmill runs for a total of 8 miles + 10km on rowing machine.
    The next 2 days will be rest days ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SC keep plugging away mate.
    OH enjoy the swimming no need to rush the longer runs.
    SM6 well done on the long run and bagging 21 miles.
    Cal nice to see a bit of the yellow ball in the sky and good to get out in it.
    Fiona think you did the right thing with getting on the treadmill on Saturday the long run on Sunday was a good strong effort followed up with a good recovery run.
    Teknik sounds like its a lot warmer down south and bagging 11miles in the sun.
    Sub 17 enjoy the two rest days before Parkrun still not sure why you don't run outside more.

Monday was 70x25m Front crawl and a 6 mile easy run in the forest. Yesterday was a 6 mile easy run on the trails in the snow and 7 miles with the club including 10x intervals of 40/50 seconds. Today 70 x 25 m front crawl and will get out later for 10 miles.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Sub17 well done on the treadie runs and on the rower, good luck for Saturday morning
    NP nice swimming, and well done on the easy runs and nice club session.
    ---
    9.5m in the rain tonight, steady-ish run with the Serpies :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tek, it sounds as though you are getting your mojo back!
    NP - forests and snow...sounds like you live in Narnia! Nice running and swimming.
    Sub17 - must admit I've wondered why you do so much tready running as well. Is it very hot where you are? I really can't stand running on the dreadmill - aside from anything, I find it hard to go above 10kph without losing my balance.
    Fiona - what is it about wind that you always seem to be running into it? I had that today, too. Nice miles and probably a sensible decision regarding the parkrun.

----
    I had an enormously frustrating day yesterday as I was taking a rest day to wait in for the Sky engineer (Doris knocked over my dish last week) only to have some idiot accidentally cancel the appointment when I phoned up to check what time the engineer was arriving, and then be unable to reinstate it due to some lame health and safety rules. What a load of utter crap. So I now have to wait until Monday for him. I get a grand total of £10 compensation for that, by the way. Horseflop.

So I was pretty keen to get out for a run today. I'd planned a medium run - 10 miles minimum, with some MP miles in the middle. What I actually did was 12.2 miles with 10 miles faster than MP. I've set my MP as 10:15 as that's the pace I need to go-sub 4:30, and totally failed to stick to that.
    After two warm-up miles (11:06/10:53) I went through mile 3 in 10:02 and then seemed to get faster - 9:55, 9:54, 9:57, 9:51 - and then 9:44, 9:42, 9:42, 9:37 (!) and 9:41. The funny thing is, I was running into wind for a lot of those later miles and it felt as though I was going really slowly.
    I guess it was a failure in terms of being a MP run but, eh, a good failure maybe? So long as I don't do that in the race... :D
  • Options
    Today at the gym: I ran 11 miles over 3 treadmill runs + 2 x 2km on rowing machine. That takes my weekly running mileage up to 25 miles and 21km on the rowing machine.

It will be hot and humid on the weekend. 39C for both Saturday and Sunday. I will need to start at a fast pace in my Park Run and hopefully run a good time.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    SM, a cracking LR, probably best way to do them giving you no option to bail early.
    OH, how is the recovery coming along
    Fiona, another good run, I need to find some flattish trails to run on, any thoughts?
    Tek well done with the 11 and 9 mile runs, you are building quite nicely.
    S17, nice treadie running and rowing, hope the conditions are favourable at the weekend
    NP, continued great training, you are certainly look good for London.
    Cal, another good MLR, is that not around you HM pace?

--------------
    Another 2 miles along the canal before the game last night, best it has felt in a while, I may do another this evening before my gym session.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stewart - it's about a minute per mile slower than (my new) HM pace. I averaged 8:54 for the last one but there were a few 8:40s and a couple of 9s in there. The 9s were on the hilly bits mind you. ;)

Glad you are starting to feel better.

Sub17 - Yeah I can understand you wanting to run indoors if it's that hot. I do Bikram yoga in a 40 degree room and it's stifling. I definitely wouldn't want to be running in that.
  • Options
    Cal - Good MLR with a faster 10, I don't see why you aren't looking at sub 10s for MP though :)

Stewart - Good to hear things are feeling a bit better :)

S17 - Good training in there :)

Tek - Well done on the 9 and 11 :)

NP - Good running and swimming!  :) We seem to be missing the snow here!

Fiona - A good week of training last week, topped off with a very nice LR! :)

-----------

2 x 2.6 miles on Tuesday with a gym session in the middle. Legs not too bad after Mondays 21.
    14 @ 9s last night, legs really felt that one. Couple of recovery runs today and tomorrow and might have an attempt at parkrun on Saturday, if only to get me into the mentality of racing.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stuart, I daresay I will be at some point, but this is only my second marathon and the horrors I encountered in the first one still haunt me! :D
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Hello all. :)

Again, it's a generic 'well done all' on your training, hope it's all going well.

- - - - - - - - -  - -
    4 miles today, and a month until the Manchester Marathon, oh goody.
    Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Cal yes, I think you're right, mojo returning...how annoying are Sky !  Well done on the fast MLR.
    Sub17 nice going in the gym
    Stewart well done on the canal run, glad to hear things are easier
    Stuart nice gym sandwich Tuesday, and well done on the 14 miler
    Ollie nice 4 miles - only 4 weeks !
    ---
    Only 4m for me too, a quick run around Regent's Park :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ollie - when you put it like that, oh crap! :scream:
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Cal I agree that your MP will be a lot faster than what you think. There is a  34s per mile difference in pace between my half and marathon PBs. If you start at 10:15 you could have a nice negative split  :) That is a total pain about Sky  :/
    Teknik it sounds like you have had a good week of training  :)
    Ollie not long now  :)
    Not surprised that your legs felt the 14 Stuart, that's a lot of miles in the last week!  :)
    Stewart great news on the rehab run!  :) Flattish trails up here are few and far between aren't they! I always end up doing the usual run to Dochgarroch and then the sealocks. The run from Boat of Garten to Loch An Eilein wasn't bad but its a good 40 minutes either way in the car. The woods up Culloden/Balloch way are ok - if you park at the Scottish School of Forestry you can run to Tornagrain and back. It's only around 6 miles but you could add on bits such as the Culloden Moor trail or the loop in the woods behind Sunnyside which is totally flat.
    Sub17 good training and I think we need some of that heat here!  :)
    NP well done on the trail running and intervals  :)
    Club turbo night was Tuesday night - not many of them left now. A nice easy 5.5 miles yesterday and today was 90 minutes with 3 minutes threshold/3 minutes steady x 10. Blowing a gale (as usual Cal!! :) ) so just did 4 out into the wind and 6 back....it's got to be good training!!  :)
    F
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm sure wind training is good, Fiona. If nothing else, it helps if we ever have a windy race!
    Not so much wind today - just a bit of drizzle. I did 4 which were meant to be easy but when I checked my watch afterwards, it seems I did the last two at below MP. Oh well!

I've found it quite interesting that my new Garmin calculates cadence and stride length. My cadence is on the money (usually high170s for training runs and 180s for races) but my stride is less than a metre (around 0.9, though it got a bit longer for the last two halves). I guess that's where I'm losing speed.
  • Options
    Cal - I can understand that :) The reason my mara PB is so poor is probably me chasing times i want to run, instead of dialling back and just getting a time!

Ollie - Well done on the 4. Whats the plan for Manchester?

Fiona - You always seem to fit in so many sessions! Where does all this time come from! :) Good stuff though!

-----------
    Went to club last night, instead of recovery. So 9 miles with 4 sets of (3 minutes out, 60s rest, 2 minutes back, 60s, 1 minute back), 2 minutes between. Comically I could run 5:40s for the 3 minutes (which was into the wind too) but couldn't move any faster on the way back with the wind behind me...
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Fiona nice training again - well done in the gale !
    Cal well done on the quick 4 miler
    Stuart good club session - nice pace too...
    ---
    5.7m for me this afternoon :)
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Teknik well done with the 9 in the rain, 4 in Regents Park and the 5.7 today, sounds like you're getting in great shape.
    Cal some nice running and running stats, sorry to hear about the skyman. Wish it was as warm as where Sub17 is, we just get rain this time of year thats why its so bloody green......
    Sub 17 good luck for tomorrow.
    Ollie do you have a time in mind for Manchester?
    Fiona more great training.
    SM6 Great splits into the wind.

Well the 10 in the forest turned into 6 and a asthma attack.... so felt crap after that and made the bold decision to take an extra days rest. I had felt rubbish during last weeks cut back and don't think I had recovered enough from the 73 mile week which had three big lots of speed work in with plenty of hills. On top of the asthma I had a couple of niggles with the left hip/hamstring. The extra days rest seems to have done the trick and I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow to run.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    NP, yikes, sorry to hear about that. I think high mileage like that will do a number on anyone's immune system so the extra rest should do you good.
    Stuart - well done on the intervals. Wind is a bit weird like that, eh? When I did my 12 yesterday, it felt as though I was running slowly into the wind but those turned out to be my fastest miles. Go figure.
    Well done on the 5.7, Teknik. Had that been me, I would have run around the block to get it up to 6. :lol:
  • Options
    I ran 17:32 in my Park Run today and only second place.  28 miles for the week.
    Next week I will run 20 miles for the week and take my annual mileage over 250 miles.

• Options
    Tek - Well done on the (almost) 6 miles  :p

NP - Hope your feeling a bit better now, sounds a good idea with the extra rest day. That big week really would have taken it out of you!

S17 - Not too shabby a parkrun!  :)

--------

A boy from club had arranged a core strength class for last night, so went to that. Deary me it was tough! You could tell who the triathlete in the group was as she wasn't dying quite as much as the rest of us! :D

8 miles today, including another DNF (this time at parkrun) not sure what is going on in my head... Got the D33 to DNF next Saturday  :|
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    LOL, Stuart. I went to the intermediate yoga class yesterday (I'd taken a week off from yoga to let my back settle) and the teacher started it with a lot of lunge-type movements, so I had a really sore arse this morning! That wasn't smart given that I had a 20 to get through today.

I think parkrun is the only thing I've DNF'd. It was quite a humid day, my splits were sucking and I wasn't enjoying it so I quit after the second lap. I hope you get your mojo back, though.

Back to that 20. I'm marshalling for Chasers at the Thames Riverside 20 tomorrow so I had to get my second 20 of this campaign done with. Set out at 6.30am (would have been just after 6 if I hadn't spent 15 minutes trying and failing to fish the drawstring out of the waistband of my 2XUs...ended up wearing my relatively untested Asics tights instead). Long route to Brockwell Park, then managed 4 and a bit laps before leaving the park just in time to avoid the parkrunner stampede. Home via the same route as I go there, just in time to see the slower Tooting parkrunners on the back stretch of the common.

The whole thing was faster than last time - 3:26:08 at an average pace of 10:18. First two miles were the slowest (10:43/10:44 - I like to term my warm-up miles "slug miles"), after which it was mile 5 (10:37) which had 25m of gain.
    Fastest mile was 10 (9:47) but was downhill, with mile 19 (9:57) as second fastest. I think seeing the parkrunners gave me a little boost.

I'm pretty happy with that. Yeah I was hurting a bit towards the end but I was certainly in much better shape than when I reached that distance in Manchester last year.
    I seem to have lost some weight this week - I'm guessing some of it was hormonal bloat - as I was about 10'10 this morning. 10'7 after the run, though, so I guess I need to hydrate a lot.

I seem to spend the afternoon after long runs and races drinking and peeing. That's when I'm not napping. I think a nap is inevitable today.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Cal well done on the long run - very impressed with the early start! :)  I think our run style must be the same; my cadence is usually 180-200 but my stride length is around 1m unless doing intervals.
    Stuart not so bad DNFing a parkrun. I always think this is our hobby - life is hard enough as it is - so no point forcing yourself to do something you're not happy with. 8 mies is still a decent run. :)  Eek the D33....just as well it wasn't this weekend as it was pouring rain all day.
    Sub17 well done the 2nd place.  :)
    NP I hope that you're feeling better after the asthma attack? That must have been scary  :o  That was a high mileage week last week, take care with the niggles! 
    Teknik well done on the 5.7 miles  :)
    Enjoyed my rest day yesterday - good timing as throat sore and a cough started. Got out this morning for some hill work but absolutely tipping rain and miserable and feeling a bit rubbish. Forecast looks better for the long run tomorrow  :)
    F
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Fiona, thanks for the trail advice it is appreciated, hope the throat is ok and the long run today has gone well.
    Cal, I think your MP is in the 9's if you can run 20 @ 10:18s. re cadence I am around 175 - 180+ for all running and my stride length is in the 90s.  
    SM, I am sure you be motivated for D33, well done with the strength/core workout and quick reps with the club, 5mm I could only dream to be that fast, :)
    S17, well done with the 2nd place at pr :)
    NP, I hope you have fully recovered from your asthma attack, and the hip is ok after your rest day.
    Tek, well done with the 4 and 5 mile runs
    Ollie, 4 weeks until Manchester, glad I have deferred. 

--------------

A 3 mile run down the canal on Friday before body balance and 5 miles in Balloch woods this morning, I had to stop a few times to get my bearings but eventually found my way around, a good test for the new trail shoes, nice not to be slipping around in my roadies. 
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Cal well done on the 12 mile run and well done on the Yoga I tried it once and couldn't even cross my legs lol. Another nice 20 miles for you in the bank and like me I drink and nap a lot after a long run, it's surprising how much fluid you loose even when you drink on the run.

Fiona Hope the sore throat is better and you managed to get out for your long run in better weather.

Sub 17  well done on 2nd place.

SM6 Don't sweat the DNF and well done on the 8 miles.

SC  Good to be breaking in the new shoes and well done on both of your runs.

The two days rest did my the world of good and felt both physically and mentally better for it, so only one days training lost. Yesterday I went out and did just over 6 miles at 6:31 pace and todays was 21.2 miles at 7:37 pace with the second ten miles up hill. Thats the 4th 20 in the bag and the plan is 2 more before London.

• Options
    2017 Marathon training thread! I need some help from your collective experience. I am running the Paris marathon on the 9th of April this year for charity, and due to a knee injury I'm desperately behind on my training. Yesterday I ran my first half marathon in a time of 2 hours, this is also the longest distance I've ran to date. With less than 5 weeks left to do the big day, is there any special routine of training that can help me get the form needed to finish a marathon, or should I start preparing for a world of pain?
  • Options
    SuperMoose - I think it's going to be painful either way from where you are in training terms. I suggest you look for a run-walk strategy (I'll be doing similar over 33 miles on Saturday) it won't be fast, but it's probably your best hope of getting round in one piece. Good luck!  :)

NP - Nice pace for the 21! :) Good 6 miles yesterday too!

Stewart - Well done on the 2 runs, any reaction from the achilles?

Fiona - Did you manage the LR today?

Cal - Another very impressive long run! Well done :)

-------------

6 steady miles today, averaged 7:40 odd. Felt ok aerobically, legs didn't like it though.

64.4 miles for the year, highest in almost exactly a year. 78 planned next week... :|:|
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stuart - I guess you meant for the week? :D Even I managed 46 this week (that's my highest total thus far).
    NP - good stuff. I've got two 20s in the bank thus far and hope to do another next weekend. I only managed one last year (but that was due to the month out with a groin strain). I've done five runs of more than 18 miles, though, so I think I'll be OK. Those last 6 are going to hurt either way.
    I wonder, though, for you folks who have been doing this marathon thing a bit longer, does it ever get to the point where you can run more than 20 miles comfortably?