Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Dave
    enthosophytes - I have not heard of them in the knee but heel spurs are another example and which are fairly common.

At least you have a diagnosis - the tricky bit will be in getting a treatment plan that works and doesn't just rely upon "rest" as the only option.  Have you ever had a definitive injury to your affected knee?

Anyone who reaches our/your age will have some "mild degenerative change in the knee joints".  I could have written that bit before your x-ray!  I really don't believe it signifies anything untoward

Hope it goes well for you when you do get an orthopedic appointment and  you get some proper advice and treatment

Welshpoppy
    gosh you are having a bad time of it.  You need to get clear of those bugs before winter comes!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - yes, I was actually quite encouraged by the "mild" bit !  And maybe the fluid could explain the discomfort whilst driving, causing pressure whilst the knee in a fixed position?    anyway, I headed out and did 10K around park paths this evening - son was pacing daughter on 8 x 5mins at her "roughly" 10K pace session (I decided against joining in)  :)   but was opportunity to see them simultaneously . . .   

W.Poppy - still just edges my total !   -  hope the lurgy is soon gone  . . . .

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    that will show it - running 10K :)!!!!
    Pity you missed out on the tempo sessions..........................

It may actually be the bony bit that catches a nerve or muscle fibre that causes the pain when driving

Went to very Covid secure dentist this morning after running 3 miles in 29:56 with avHR 128and a max of 140. 
    Not really enough time between taking meds and running but got it done - boy was it chilly out early on with a light grass frost apparent on the lawns.
    Should have had a long sleeved top on................
  • Options
    Afternoon!

Can't comment on the x-ray, Birch! Just hope that this leads to some answers; perhaps a way to reduce the fluid?

You should have had two long sleeved tops on, plus tracksters, gloves etc, TS!

Yesterday was a fairly gentle 48 minutes with my M75 neighbour. I was glad of the company: leg didn't really want to play although they did in the end! If I had been on my own I suspect that I would have cut it short. Yesterday also saw long sleeves, rain jacket, trackster, gloves. Today I ditched the jacket as the plan was something quicker, in spite of the rain. Fortunately the latter blew over part way through my 15 minute warm up. Then 3 x 3 mins with 90 seconds with a jog recovery that ended up as a walk! Worked hard, although didn't cover as much ground as I had hoped: set off too quickly on the first rep, windy, cinders, spent all morning on feet etc etc! All about the effort at this stage!

Hope the meds work, WP!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Dave, hope this is the first step to a full recovery. I guess I’m the last person who could advise you to take it easy.

Just as a footnote to my lunatic cross fit challenge thing, I managed it in 38.44 which I know is meaningless. The second mile was hard after what preceded it.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John, 
    Well done, I think. Out of pure curiosity, what was the motive, objective in doing this?

TS,
    Frost, no I am not ready for that yet, still a good run from you.

Dave,
    10k or the time it takes to do 10k is a challenge for a dodgy knee. Not much wrong with your motivation.

WP,
    Get yourself fixed asap, those Welsh hills are calling.

I have been busy these last few days moving boxes with light fixtures to the new house, at least I don't have to fit them. It is surprising how many light fixtures are in a house and how big the boxes are that they come in. 
    The house is full of trades finishing things off, not too much social distancing being observed.
    Traditionally basements are dedicated as the "Man's Cave" and when I went down there yesterday to see how things were progressing I was interrogated by a group of contractors as to what I was going to do with all the 2100 sq ft. When I pointed out where my full size snooker table was going and the large screen tv for football games, I was immediately interrupted with a question, "SHE's going to let you have a new large screen tv!!!!!

The weather is a bit cooler here today but still a comfortable run in shorts.
    2020-10-03T13:17:53ZS Easy
    Run Summary
     Comments -                         BR, felt strong.
     Weather data South March , Conditions - overcast clouds
      Mean Temp =   8c,  Min Temp =   7c,  Max Temp =  10c  Humidity = 94%
      Mean Wind Speed = 1.26 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 312
      Run Duration = 43:21,   Run Length = 6.82 Kms or 4.24 Miles
     Average  Run Pace = 06:21 per Km or 10:13 per Mile, Age grade =  59.7 %
     Average WHR = 75.5 %,  Max WHR = 86.6 %
     Moving  Run Duration = 42:34 (* Laps include non-moving time)
     Average Moving Pace = 06:14 per Km or 10:02 per Mile, Age grade =  60.8 %

Run Gait Analysis
     Average  Run Cadence = 84.4, Average stride length = 0.93 m
     Avg Vert Osc = 6.4 cms, Avg Vert Ratio =  6.6%, Avg GCT = 293 ms
     Avg GCT % = 41.6%, Avg GCT Balance = L51.2% / R48.8%
     GCT Balance in good range as a % of the total trackpoints = 28.1%

Hill Climb Summary using corrected elevation
     Number of hills found longer than 50m and > 2.0 % gradient =  8
     Total  Run Climb Elevation = 68.4 m, Max Elevation Difference = 13.8 m
     Longest Climb Gradient = 2.7 %, Climb Length = 396.7 m, Distance From Start = 4.6 kms
     Steepest Climb Gradient = 5.5 %, Climb Length = 58.4 m, Distance From Start = 6.4 kms

Lap Detail
      Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    * 01     06:53     1.0        0.6      06:53      11:04      61.9%     72.4%      84.0       0.86
    #02     06:04     1.0        0.6      06:04      09:46      71.6%     75.4%      85.0       0.97
    #03     06:19     1.0        0.6      06:19      10:11      74.6%     79.9%      85.0       0.93
    #04     06:14     1.0        0.6      06:14      10:02      78.4%     81.3%      84.0       0.96
    #05     06:22     1.0        0.6      06:22      10:15      79.1%     82.8%      84.0       0.93
    #06     06:31     1.0        0.6      06:31      10:30      82.1%     85.8%      84.0       0.91
    #07     04:57     0.8        0.5      06:00      09:40      82.1%     86.6%      85.0       0.98

Mick
  • Options
    All sounds good, Mick, both with the house and training. 

Ran to the GP's this morning to get my flu jab: got wet. 
    Short run this pm: got wetter.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Just checking in, so over this Covid stuff! Can't wait till Parkrun starts again! Rotorua marathon went ahead without Aucklanders, we are on a different level to the rest of the country. May change tomorrow - got my fingers crossed.
    I have mainly been walking with the odd run here and there. Very hard to step up to running from walking but I'm still trying. Managed 14 km this morning - very slow - I remember when I could run 14 miles in the same time! Never mind - I am moving.

Good to see all the same people still ticking along - well done everyone.
  • Options
    Mick: Thank you the Welsh hills are calling I am going to try a run in between the heavy rain. It was to be my marathon today needless to say I am not doing it.But I am watching the womens raceat the mo...

NZC Lovely to hear from you and that the Roturua marathon went ahead.At least you are out doing your best.It is so difficult this year.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done, and hello, NZC . . .

same here, WP - watching "elite only" coverage - excellent analysis (not least re the "shoe debate" ), from Mara Yamauchi  . . .  

later I'm doing the final 10K of a friend's virtual VLM

Dave
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Mick, ego! I’m shallow but honest.
  • Options
    Mick
    good to see you have got your priorities firmly established in the new house :)

alehouse
    be interested to hear whether you have any reaction in your arm to the flu jab.  Have heard of several fok who have ended up with a stiff muscle for some days afterwards.

NZC
    Hi stranger :)  you appear to have Covid measures better organised down there!
    From mainly walking to 14K is a big jump - not surprised the time was a bit off :)  I can relate to those time differences though :/

Dave
    I saw several folk out doing their virtual marathon this morning - one group had even rigged up their own finishing line complete with flags and balloons  on one of the paths I use.  I gave each one a thumbs up and a few words of encouragement as I passed them ( they were going in the opposite direction in case you were wondering!!)

Welshpoppy
    easy now................

John
    of course......................

Despite rain almost everywhere I went out into watery sunshine and a pleasant enough morning. 

Took  a turn for the worse when I met up with an old running friend (old as in time - he is about 20 years younger than me) in the first mile so of course I had to up my pace to keep up for the 3 miles we ran together :/
    Left me a bit knackered but I managed to get home in one piece having done 5.15 miles in 50:54 (9:53m/m) with avHR 132 and a max of 146 so it probably did me some good having to stretch myself a bit

• Options
    Dave: Hope the virtual marathon went well for friend and your run was good.

Torque:Sound like a great run getting everything flowing out of comfort zone.

I managed a slow 4 miles in the storm glad I was not running further.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Good to see you, NZC! Hope Auckland re-starts parkrun soon. 

Glad you got out, WP. Weather not too bad here, despite the forecast. 

Hope the last few miles of the marathon go well, with your support, Birch!

And well "raced" TS!

I'm glad it was London marathon day today: if it hadn't have been I probably wouldn't have hit 50k this week: if x can run 42k I should be able to manage a quarter of that...
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - excellent ! - any reaction today?   

alehouse - you keep churning out the solid weeks (I think there's a phrase for this)  :)  

WP - good effort braving the storm . . . .   

Mick - your "cave" appeals  . .  no room for a snooker table here, but I do have a reasonably sized TV, which came in handy - Elite Women yesterday morn, recording of Elite Men yesterday eve'g,  then this morn recording of MOTD2 (scores not known, so an astonishing couple of games there).    The "virtual VLM" went well - there were 4 laps of  with a "mini-lap" to finish - the main lap came out shorter than expected, so I ended up doing best part of 8 miles to complete the distance. Well organised, no more than 6 runners in total on each lap - must say, a nice feeling being applauded whilst trotting along at 11:30 pace :)    
    legs felt pretty stiff as I reclined watching EK's "bad day", but surprisingly "ok" this morn.
    No run today, but a 6 mile round walk to son's house and back planned.

Dave
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    storm??  The sun always shines in Yorkshire :)
    In fact I had just popped down to make a cup of hot choccie and there was Simon Calder on the TV extolling the weather on his sunny visit to Harrogate B)

Alehouse
    50K looks so much more impressive than its imperial equivalent but still a very good total on a regular basis.

Dave
    8 miles - you deserved a round of applause after your recent tribulations.

Very strange footie results all round - remarkable really the turnaround in some teams.  I hadn't seen the results either and watched with some incredulity as scores mounted.
    Has to be said Lamela (?) should be banned for life for that dive and Shaw should have been a straight red.
    What slipped under the radar a bit was Leicester ( sorry alehouse!) getting beat at home by West Ham who had looked so terrible only a couple of weeks ago

It must be awful having an off day and running a 2:08 marathon!

The reaction to yesterday's run was pretty much as expected - although the legs felt fine there was no energy in them after a couple of miles - so ended up doing 4 miles in 41:40 (10:23m/m) with avHR 125 and a max of 136

aaaahh well something to build on maybe...
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    It is good to hear that you are surviving down there in the colonies.

TS,
    It is always good to run with a friend but they do seem to make the run harder. I have a run with the boys tomorrow so I may rest today to be prepared as we are running hills again.

Dave,
    A 12 mile walk, it could be a tough recovery.

WP,
    I am not sure who gets more rain you or Alehouse. It is raining here today so no sunshine for me. 

I ran a comfortable 7k yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt. The cold weather is said to be on its way. The trees seem to know and the leaves are all brilliant reds and golds and carpeting the trails.
    MrsMIck6 is off in Toronto for the week helping out the toddler so I am doing the bachelor thing.

Mick
  • Options
    I was thinking to have a bad day and still run 2:08:-) Most Elites would have  DNF it just shows his attitude and commitment but i do like EK.

Dave: 8 miles with your knee is progress :-) Hope knee behaves today but i see you are walking to son's and not driving.

Torque:Yorkshire must be the Sunshine capital:-) Well done on run and low HR

I got up and ran same route 4 miles again but RHR is high I am just hoping it drops.Av HR 149 which is lower than yesterday by 1 beat!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick: You snuck in as I was typing I bet you enjoy your alone time with Mrs Mick away :)
    I think Dave was walking 6 miles in total not 12! ;)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    correct, WP - 3 there, 3 back  :)  
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    4.2 mile chatty trot with friend this morning. Long sleeves & gloves . . . .   
  • Options
    That sounds good Dave :)

4.2 miles for me as well av HR is dropping 146 today.It was my PA injection and flu jab one in each arm.I can say that your arm aches with flu jab.....
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick
    not too much colour on the trees here other than the horse chestnuts which all appear to have suffered from the summer drought and have wilted a lot!!
    Nice run for you

Welshpoppy
    that HR remains stubbornly high - you are still hosting something but 2 x 4 miles is good going

Dave
     a chatty trot - can't be bad.  Long sleeves and gloves?!!

Another Hash trail this morning so good to run over strange ground.

However I had back to back teleconference calls so it was an early start and it was still dark out there at 0715 so rather difficult to read the map!!

4 miles done with avHR 119 and a max of 140 on a big hill in 42:36 (10:43m/m) which was okay as I was trying and not succeeding to read the map early on!

• Options
    ...short sleeves here even early on as it was quite a pleasant 9C outside and no wind.

Stiff arm from the flu jab appears to be a common problem
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Rain jacket here, both yesterday and today. Warm enough for no gloves though! Have had a real soaking the last two days and when it wasn't raining I was paddling and plodding. Only 20 minutes easy yesterday and just over 40 today. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't make my 50k this week, not that I will be worried if I don't!

Have decided not to go to the uni fitness suite as it is right in the middle of the student accommodation: the very area that has the highest infection rate in the country; have managed to book some sessions at the private hospital gym though, so off there later. 

Chatty four miles sounds good, Birch

Sounds like a fun run, map-reading in the dark apart, TS!

Most unusually my arm felt fine after Saturday's flu jab, WP. Even wondered if the nurse had actually done it! 

Edit: WP wrote that "Most Elites would have  DNF it just shows his attitude and commitment". The cynic in me thinks that part of his contract and therefore fee required EP to finish! 
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Sorry WP, but I am with alehouse, I suspect he had to finish to get paid. A running friend of mine used to help organise the elites for a large marathon here. His stories made me extremely cynical about their motivations.

TS,
    There's dedication for you, running in the dark trying to read a map. Are you too embarrassed to tell us you did a face plant or ran into a tree?

Dave,
    Social runs are a great way to enjoy your running unless they are like my group whereby half way I am hanging on with no breath to talk only listen.

The flu jabs are not available here yet, another couple of weeks to go.
    The colour of the maple trees here are a major tourist attraction, the reds are breathtaking.
    A tough hill run today 8.7k in shorts and t-shirt, still relatively warm, 14c.
    Tomorrow's run with the boys will at least be on the flat.

With MrsMick6 in the big TO I have too much time on my hands, so I wrote some simple python scripts that accessed my running database going back 16 years. It then accessed the Google Elevation API for corrected elevation which my training log absorbed with the following top ten hill analysis.

This includes runs all around the world but lo and behold the toughest hill run I did was in my home town of Marlow. The run was a 20k through the Chilterns and if any of you know that area you know what those hills are like. The Chelsea mentioned is in the Gatineau HIlls not London.
    Mick
  • Options
    alehouse/Mick
    I suspect your cynicism is well founded but 2:08 for "not trying" is still pretty good going!

Mick
    yup - too much time on your hands :)
    The terrain in the UK often throws up unexpected hills - as I found out in Norfolk recently!!  I suspect its because the geology/geography  changes in relatively short distances compared to a lot of other areas in the world - hence hills!

No face plant or tree trunk embracing I'll have you know - the white stick came in handy!!

Bad day at the office today - really carp run with no energy in the legs at all- 4 miles in 44 min with avHR 116 and with two fairly long walk breaks despite low HR tells its own tale :/
  • Options
    I hope I am right but I like to see the good in people and an eternal optimist :)

Another 4 miler today faster pace so all going in right direction RHR is up and down like a yoyo but 47  still 7 beats up.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Some will remember Tom Byers pace-making Steve Ovett and ending up winning the race rather than dropping out; an agent that I used to know would write into pacemakers' contracts that they had to drop out or finish down the field. In other words all sorts of things are written into contracts that we don't see. 

Hope you continue to go in the right direction, WP...and that you are soon back on track, TS!

Part 1 of step 8 of my 16 step speed plan today, with part 2 already banked! 25 minutes warm up, 7 x 30 seconds uphill with one minute jog back recovery, 10 minutes warm down, curtailing the warm down as it started to rain despite the dry forecast. All off road: lots of puddles and the cinder paths are getting much softer, including today's hill.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    I am of the opinion that most public races with 1000s of participants do not need an elite field. We pay a significant amount to run races, we are what attracts the sponsors and in most races, we do not even see the elites. They are upfront and off getting showered by the time we finish. All the money should be paid out to make it a better event for us.
    Why should thousands of $s be paid out to get elites to come and do a training pace run. If they want to come at their own expense and compete for modest prize money fine. In the major events in Ottawa, large sums are paid out to attract the elites but no recognition is given to the age group winners, no medal no prizes. No world records are going to be set here and I have been told that a certain group of elites agree beforehand on sharing the prize money and they only do enough to make sure one of them wins.
    Sorry WP but it is a pet peeve.

An enjoyable run around a neighbourhood town with the boys. A comfortable 17c, no rain and 6.75k done on a nice flat course.

Mick