Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Good to see you, NZC! Get on that bike! Or in the water!

Sorry to hear of your friend, Birch, and that you are under the weather. Great result from your clubmate...and Horwich isn't the fastest of courses! I would be more than happy with that time!

Just back from parkrun. Ran one of the slower courses: a fair amount of long grass and one that I always seem to injure myself on! Hopefully survived this time! The aim was a gentle run as have had a decent week's training; in the event ran a little harder than intended: a fellow M65 and two M70 friends were to blame. Can't have them ahead of me! Probably 23:4x.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Great to see you NZC :) well done on AG I think the highest I have ever got is 68%.

Dave: Sorry to hear you have been laid up with nasty virus ,I hope you are fit for Monday :) Sorry to hear about your friend.
    Well done to clubmate a great result.

Alehouse: Well done on park run and beating your friends :)

8 miles for me this morning and pace was good for me 10.20 average with 100m of elevation.But boy it was warm at 7am! heaven help the half marathon runner's tomorrow.
    I finish the week on 47 miles which is surprising all things considered this week.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Birch - hope you feel better soon. Great running by your W65 club mate!

alehouse - yes I should do as I am told, but just don't seem to be able to do it.

Welshpoppy - great mileage!

Just walked about 4km off road yesterday - knee a bit sore on the down hill. Most of the tracks we used to go on are now closed because of Kauri die back - very sad.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    NZC: I had to google Kauri die back that is sad:-( well done on walk I hope knee is okay?

5 mile recovery run yesterday for me legs were tired and slow but a run is a run and I will take all i can get.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    NZChristine, nice to hear from you. What a great AG for someone who does the occasional parkrun and walks the dog! Heaven knows what you'd do if you could train properly. 

Dave, sorry to hear about your friend. I too lost a friend recently who I'd known since the second year of primary school. It's hard. 

alehouse, so your competitive instinct kicked in at the parkrun. I know the feeling!

Welshpoppy, very good mileage last week. Your legs are entitled to be tired.

So I ran the same parkrun as last week and in exactly the same time.  I enjoyed the run and there were a couple of positives to take from it. The foot lasted longer before tightening, until the last 300 yards in fact. And looking at the mile splits, the second mile which is the toughest, was 14 seconds quicker this week. Just need to start quicker.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Graham:That really sounds positive for your parkrun especially with your foot.I am sure you will be knocking some time of the next time you run the course as your confidence in your foot grows.

I ran 6.5 miles yesterday and felt okay similar pace to day before so room for improvement.In other news my race number has arrived yesterday for my 10k!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - nicely done edging out your friends at parkrun ( long grass wouldn't help quicker running) . . .    

WP - good consistent miles - 47 last week well earned :)   

NZC - yes, I also tend to be circumspect with downhills these days  . . .      

Graham - excellent parkrun, and encouraging re your foot.   What next for the Toon, post-Rafa ?   

annoyingly, no running here yet - still below par.  I'll try jogging for a mile or two maybe, whilst spectating this evening - its the local county (South Yorks) relay Champs, and son & daughter both in action.   

Dave
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    NZC-Nice to hear from you.Always nice to get outdoors and do something.

Welshpoopy-your mileage is the most on the thread.

Alehouse-another good Parkrun your friends will be looking for revenge.

Dave-so sorry to hear the loss of your friend,hope you feel better soon.

Graham-excellent Parkrun.Hoping the foot progresses further.
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Dave, who knows what's next for Newcastle? Unless a sale goes through soon, the future is unlikely to be good though.

I ran 6 miles this morning, the furthest since February.
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham,good going to do six miles.Hope it doesn’t turn out as bad as what most toon fans are expecting.

Low key 5x600m last night for me.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Aw Thank guys:-) I better taper  really as race a week Sunday.

Oh Blimey is Newcastle in trouble again?

Graham Well done on 6 miles:-)

Dave: How did the youngsters get on? are you running yet?

Ray: well done 600m reps how was it?

Tuesday 6.7 miles and today 7 miles so going to aim for 8 miles for rest of week.Mind you it will be early due to this horrid humidity 5am this morning I still came back bathed in sweat :#
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    You look like you are going from strength to strength Welshpoppy - good luck with your race.

Graham - what is happening in Newcastle? Glad your feet are improving. It's awful when we rely on our legs and feet to do what we want them to do and just don't have the confidence that they won't let us down.

I had so many years of pain free running - I have to just suck it up and enjoy what I am able to do.

Ray - low key 5 x 600 - that sure doesn't look low key to me!

Walked 6km flat yesterday with friends then mowed son's lawns and did some gardening - good cross training - was very tired last night.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    NZC: You did a lot yesterday well done on cross training :) no wonder you were tired!

8 miles this morning at 4.45 a lot cooler and 3 sec per mile slower that PB for course  legs and energy felt the best they have been in ages.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    NZC,a good nights sleep required after that lot.

Welshpoppy,a very early run from you and a good distance.

Also done 8miles this morning at 10:30am in bright sunshine along the towpath.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Local 5k report, starting with the excuses:
    1. It was still 24 degrees at 7:30 which came as a shock in this northerly part of the UK!
    2. I was watching the cricket on TV this afternoon when I noticed a bulge in the wall paper: a couple of hours later after lifting lots of floor boards upstairs I found the leak. 
    3. It took me 14 seconds to cross the line and then was walking for the first 50/60 metres before breaking into a jog. Very busy: finished 280th of 514! 3rd in age group, out of 9. 

22:23 chip time: if I am honest a little disappointed that I wasn't closer to 22. Never really flowed this evening; usually spend most of a race passing people. Was pretty well in the same position from 2k to the end, passing only a handful. Had to give myself a talking to just after 3k and imagined that I was running another course!

Not that it is an excuse but my Garmin was all over the place: it didn't like the lap of the track at the start nor some wooded areas. Age grading just under 75%. Quickest time for over 2 years!

The 5k was the first of the series, with a race fortnightly. Will probably train through the next couple and try to hit the final one harder.

It doesn't get any easier does it!

My post race refreshment at the alehouse didn't happen: emergency plumber had not arrived on my return from the race and didn't arrive until after 10. Did fix things though (I hope). Tomorrow will be spent drying things out, replacing floor boards, filling in insurance claim. And then a visit to the alehouse to make up for a lost opportunity! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ray Great work on your 8 miles , it must have been the morning for it :)

Alehouse:A good race in my books with everything external going on you will get closer to 22 next time I am sure :)Nope it does not get any easier at all.It is always good to be a little disappointed it spurs us on to try to better next time!

Rest  day for me hayfever is bad along with heat and I felt tired so made the right choice.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    nice reps, Ray - good training combo with the 8 miler . . 

alehouse  -  sounds a stressful afternoon, exacerbated by no reward . . .   surely you'd have made 22 ish without the delay to cross the line & the congestion ?   

WP - more good miles. Fortunately for me, I don't suffer with hayfever. Still have the other lurgy though - its receding, but still not right.  The "youngsters" had a fruitful evening on Tues, thank you - they each were members of the 3rd placed teams, so bagged county medals and running shop vouchers.  90 odd teams in both male and female races, so a big event. My son bagged 8th quickest leg.  Women's teams are 3 legs, Men's 4 legs, of a 3.51 mile course around here
    Image result for dam flask pics

fingers x'd I'll return to running tomorrow - I'm not a patient patient :) 

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    went out last evening, after the prev post - tried a jog in local park, but 10 mins of start/stop was enough - no energy at all, so looks like more rest in order :/
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Dave: That is Brilliant work on the youngster's and well done on Son being 8th! That was a big event!! well done on decent prizes as well.The photo looks stunning,where are you based?

Sorry to hear you are still hit by the lurgy but you tried maybe a few more days,Sadly us runner's are not patient patients at all.

I was out by 4.40am and it was 20 degrees , air quality awful and it felt slow planned 8 miles down graded to 6 and thought slow but SB for course and 5 secs a mile off course record.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - Sheffield - the relays location is Dam Flask, at Bradfield, on the outskirts of the city.  
    excellent early run - and feeling slow, but being quick bodes well for your 10K  :) 

Dave
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Alehouse,a good time with all that happened,agree with Dave there’s more to come.

Dave,sorry you are out of sorts hope you recover pronto.Excellent running by your children.

Welshpoppy,another good early run by you.

Well I actually made it to a Parkrun today.The course was a mixture of grass,gravel,and concrete path but quite flat.Never quite sure where to start at these things so placed myself about six rows back.Didn’t feel like I started to quick but i was finding it harder than it should have been.My thoughts of just dipping under 23mins were not going to happen.Just thought i would push as hard as I could and hopefully make It another day.

Time was 23:21
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    NZChristine, the Newcastle football team have had a very unpopular owner for the last 12 years or so, who doesn't spend enough on players. Hence two relegations while he's been here. On the other hand the manager for the last three years has been very popular but has just left the club after falling out with the owner. We fans are thoroughly fed up!

Ray, that's a very good parkrun time considering you didn't feel on your best form. Always difficult to know how near the front to start. It's frustrating to hang back as a slower runner only to find once the run starts that runners even slower were close to the front.

Welshpoppy, you're getting some decent runs in even with the heat.

Dave, sorry to hear you're still under the weather. Congratulations to your offspring for their relays.

alehouse, I'm sure you would have got nearer or even under 22 minutes if it hadn't been for the congestion.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Go well Mick! Looking forward to the report!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Ray:Good Park run especially when slower runners can be a pain starting too close to the front well done!

Dave:Sheffield looks stunning:-)

7 miles for me yesterday so that is longest I will run all week...eek

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy 
    Seven miles also for me yesterday as no one in the group could be bothered to do anymore.

Graham
    I assume Newcastle is still up for sale.

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Ray 
    What a shame the group did not want to do more but a nice distance :smile:

6 miles for this morning and was lovely and cool at 4.35 am :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - do you sleep ?  ;)    

had a "fitness test" yesterday, but maybe overdid things, as today the low energy and vague nauseous feeling lingers on  . .  my daughter was doing a session around a 3 mile loop, so I did 3 loops plodding, whilst she did her thing ( she did some of her warmup/cooldown with me).  Nice to record 9 miles in the diary after 2 weeks off . . 

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back at it, Birch: I agree though that you may have overdone it and I would be cutting back to easier and shorter runs for now. 

Well  done at parkrun, Ray! Decent! Which one? 

A gentle 63 minutes this morning, mainly with my M74 neighbour: just over 10k, so only 6 minute 10ks which I am more than happy with on longer runs (yes, I know 6 miles is not that far!). Only 13 degrees (29 on Saturday!) so well wrapped up! This is summer!

TS?
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    It looks like you are all battling the heat and not letting it stop you. Weather extremes are the norm here and you do get use to it.
    I wish I could maintain that kind of mileage but too many aches and pains if I try.

Dave,
    Any idea what the issue is?

Ray,
    Well done, your times are very consistent.

Canada Day here today so I am back from my race.
    It was hot but not humid which is the real problem.
    It is a big race with over 1300 runners in a couple of events. Lots of maple leafs flying and the singing of the national anthem. On a day like today I feel more Canadian than Brit despite my English accent.
    It was a crowded start but I decided that time was not so important and I would be conservative and try and maintain a constant pace, so not a problem.

Unusually I was surrounded by old guys but they pushed off hard so I decided not to try and stay in touch.
    After the first k I felt good and was enjoying the race and started to pick it up a bit so the next k was quicker but not by much so I settled into a comfortable pace which I maintained. I only had a 12s spread apart from the last 100m.

I usually red line for more than half the race but not today, I only had 1 k where I was over 90%. 

My time was very slow even for me, 29:15, but I enjoyed myself and recovered very quickly, feeling good the whole way.
    I only managed a 4th place out of 14 in the over 70 AG but not surprised.

08:10 AM Monday, July 01, 2019
    Canada Day 5k, felt good all the way, could have worked harder

Total Non-moving Time = 0.0 secs
    Run Duration = 29:15,  Run Length = 5.08 Kms or 3.16 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 05:45 per Km or 09:16 per Mile, Age grade =  61.8 %
    Average Run WHR = 81.5 %,  Max Run WHR = 94.1 %

Average Run Cadence = 84.8, Average stride length = 1.02 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     05:42     1.0        0.6      05:42      09:10      67.4%     74.8%      87.0       1.01
    #02     05:35     1.0        0.6      05:35      08:59      75.6%     78.5%      86.0       1.04
    #03     05:47     1.0        0.6      05:47      09:18      85.9%     94.1%      85.0       1.02
    #04     05:40     1.0        0.6      05:40      09:07      87.4%     91.9%      83.0       1.06
    #05     05:41     1.0        0.6      05:41      09:09      90.4%     93.3%      83.0       1.06
    #06     00:20     0.1        0.1      03:58      06:23      93.3%     94.1%      86.0       1.46

As you can see my cadence dropped despite maintaining pace. I even tried to pick it up a few times.

A great race lots of atmosphere and happy people, enjoyed myself and will do it again assuming I still have all my important bits this time next year.

Mick 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Mick! You are right, the important thing is enjoyment! And no reason not to do it again!  :)