Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    I'm still running a bit and the foot is improving again. I did the hilly park run the Saturday before last in a little under 29 minutes but I honestly wasn't bothered about the time and just enjoyed it. If only I could keep that attitude!

This evening I'm marshalling for my first-claim club for a 10k. Likely to be very wet. Then next Wednesday it's the relay race which I help organise for my original club.

I do read every post on here and generally folk seem to be going well.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you , Graham - "keep enjoying" - a lesson for us all, but not always adhered to . . . .    

Mick - can't help re cadence  . . .  

WP/Mick - treadmill partly down to heavy (verging on torrential) rain, but also find 5K on the moving belt and "sprung" surface quite therapeutic on my legs after 22 miles in the prev 2 days  . .   

another 6 yesterday morn ; not been out yet today (still raining), but mainly due to feeling slightly "seedy", after meeting old friends yesterday for what turned into a long lunch (inc 2 pints of ale & 3 glasses of wine)  :s  

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    . . .   finally out at 4pm for 6 soggy miles 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Graham: As long as we are enjoying our running,that is what gets us out to run :)

Dave: oh dear that long liquid lunch hampered training but you did get out well done.All runs are soggy at the moment!

4.5 miles yesterday as still tired and they were wet miles, but feeling more  perky today :)

New shoes has arrived but did not like ultraboost too wide in toe box and heel tab too far up achilles(going back) good job I ordered my regular shoes as well :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Graham-hope your foot improves so you can run what we know you are capable of.Hope the Marshalling went well and didn’t get drenched.

Dave-well done for getting out after a drink or two,not sure I could man up these days.

Welshpoppy-you definitely don’t want shoes that could hamper your Achilles.
    Good you are getting the runs in still in this rainy weather.

Went to the gym yesterday just to do a light workout,probably done a bit to much,hope I don’t regret it tonight running the 10k.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Dave, we'll done for getting out eventually. Never as easy when the weather's like it is now.

Welshpoppy, wet miles for you too. We'll all appreciate finally running under blue skies again.

Ray, good luck for your 10k tonight.

It was a very soggy race I marshalled for yesterday evening but at least the rain wasn't too heavy. That came overnight. One nice touch was that the club gave us volunteers the same t-shirts the runners got.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ray:Yikes hope you do well tonight at the 10k and it stays dry for you.You are good to do gym session's but maybe ease back before a race :)
    Looking forward to your race report :)
    I do not mind the rain too much I hate the blazing hot red ball in the sky.

Graham: Well done on your marshaling duties and that was nice to get  same top as racers wear it with pride:-)

7 miles for me in my new Tempo's and all went well and shoe felt as good as my Boston's it was wet again but I am used to it :)I had put all my long sleeved tops away but had to bring them back out again. 

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    The weather tonight was a bit chilly and damp but the rain abated so not to bad really for the 10k.Having run this course a few times i knew what to expect.The course is totally on country lanes with a few undulations the worst being from 7k through to almost 9k but just long not severely steep.Quite pleased with my pacing overall,just wish I could lessen the fade on the last mile but I was all in by then.The course measured slightly long,but that’s nit picking really.So i finished with a time of  47:10 so quite happy

Miles were 7:22/7:33/7:30/7:24/7:26/8:09/0.24 1:43
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Ray! Another high age-graded performance!

Not a lot to report here apart from too many niggles, probably from over-enthusiastic gym work. Have had an easier week as a consequence, not that it has been! parkrun tomorrow is also likely to be going through the motions. Has barely stopped raining this week and it is due to be wet again in the morning for my Saturday 9 a.m. paddle.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Ray:That is a great time well done,It shows you gave it all you had to  slow a little in last mile :)

Ale:Bring your rubber ring for tomorrow's parkrun?

I was tired so back to bed for a few hours and out and ran later than usual(it gets busy with traffic and people) 5.40 miles(I had to limbo under a fallen tree I had planned 8 miles but I live to run another day.Totally wet again and shoes are not drying out as quickly as I would like!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Ray, that's  a very good time. I make it nearly 78% AG. Well done. 

Alehouse, easy to overdo things in the gym and so pick up minor injuries. Good luck with your park run tomorrow.

Welshpoppy, I reckon you showed great determination in getting out on a wet day when you were feeling tired.

I plan to do the hilly Gibside park run tomorrow. Shouldn't be too hard to shave a bit off my time from two weeks ago.

Just heard that a couple of new park runs are starting near me in a few weeks. I've put my name down as a core team volunteer for one of them as a club mate has been the driving force behind it.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Good luck with park run today Graham-I bet you managed to shave a bit of time from a few weeks ago. :)

I have had a rest day I am fatigued I think on next visit to GP get my iron levels checked as no reason for it.35 days since last rest day which was from being ill so this is first one this year where I had a choice :)

I was told about the Speedway 10k last night they hold 2 a year and the aim is to get the faster runner's faster and I checked the times the slowest lady runner was 55 minutes my PB is around 52.34 which goes back to 2015/2016,so I would be at the back but I like the sound of it, a good way to improve your times on a flat course.

https://sites.google.com/view/speedway10k/home/concept
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Like the look of the Speedway races, WP!

Hope Gibside went well, GL!

parkrun here and having had an easier week due to various niggles was probably a little fresher than usual. Started off more quickly and went through 1k in 4:32. Basically then maintained the pace although had to concentrate and give myself a bit of a kick up the backside at a couple of points. 22:26 for 74.74%, the best since the equivalent date, and venue, in 2017. I would hope there is more to come in racing gear on a dry sunny evening! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - great work there - you (and Ray) are raising the bar  . . .   

speaking of which . . . now have a vision of WP (in the guise of her avatar) limbo-ing under the fallen tree :)   seriously, WP - hope you are feeling more perky today, after your wise rest day.

Ray - splendid 10K - well done

Graham - how did parkrun go?    

well, yet again, I let the possibility of a decent week's mileage slip away -  blanks on Thur, Fri -  but 11 yesterday was better. I would have liked to match, or increase slightly, on last week's 16, but, for the best of reasons (my son & daughter took me for early Father's Day brunch), I was time-pressured.  This was a day early due to each of them having long runs due today :)    so, on 26 for the week, so I'll get out today to at least secure a total for the week starting with "3" 

Dave
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse-excellent time and pacing a nice confidence booster.

Dave-a very good total of miles for the week i think.Hope you enjoyed the meal,must be nice to have two talented runners in the family.

Ran the same as Dave today 11miles done.

Thanks to all for nice comments on my 10k run much appreciated.

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Alehouse-Smashing 5k time and lots more to come I am sure :)

Dave-That did make me laugh and the tree is still there as not cut down by the council as yet, which is unusual as they are quick of the mark normally.

That sounds a lovely way to spend time with your family and both runner's take after Dad :)
    Good luck with today's run,nice mileage:-)

Ray: Great work on your 11 miles it must be the weekend for 11 miles :)

7 miles for me this morning today is the start of my week and guess what the weather was doing yep it was raining again.
    Due to rest day yesterday I only made 38 miles for the week but these things happen better than no miles at all :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy-your mileage totals are pretty impressive in my book,i only seem to do around twenty five a week.Think we have had enough rain now.

TS-hope you are okay.
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy, hope you're feeling a bit less fatigued now. I like to have one or two rest days a week but guess I'm just lazy!

Alehouse, it certainly came good for your parkrun as I know you weren't expecting to pull up any trees. Very encouraging!

Dave, you're certainly a running family. A 30 mile plus week sounds pretty good to me. It's a long time since I managed that.

Ray, good 11 miler. Any races coming up?

My parkrun went well on Saturday and I managed to go nearly two minutes quicker than two weeks ago. 27 minutes and 5 seconds, which isn't too shabby on a very demanding course. I enjoyed it again. This Saturday I may do a much flatter course though, just for a change.

A big day coming up on Wednesday as my original club is hosting a relay race. I'm on the race committee, which takes up quite a lot of time but it's nice to know our club is doing its bit for the local racing scene.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well done on parkrun PB Graham  especially as not flat course, it bodes well for the flatter route:-)
    Good luck for club event on Wednesday hope everything goes swimmingly for you and the weather is kind.

TS : Come in, I hope all is well :(

6 miles this morning and guess what it was raining but hilly route, I am hoping fatigue is easing will know more tomorrow.

Ray: I have to agree I think we have had our fair share of rain.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham-glad the parkrun went okay.Hope the relays go well,i have a 10k this Thursday.

Welshpoppy-well done on a hilly 6miles when fatigued.

Easy 3miles for me today as my calf seems on the cusp of tearing.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Graham,
    Well done on your parkrun, you are obviously coming back.

WP,
    Oh, you are just a girl but your times are still very respectable.
    Both yours and Rays cadence numbers are fairly flat so I do have some work to do to correct mine. When I do manage to hold my pace my stride length increases to compensate but my cadence still drops.

Alehouse,
    Good AG result. In my early and mid 60s I would typically be in the mid 70s but I am struggling now to get back to 70. Last year all I managed was 69.
    I am not sure whether maintaining your AG as you age is achievable. I should be able to get back to 70 but 76 no way.

The weather here has finally turned warmer. It seems to take me longer to adapt these days. I ran a parkrun a week ago and I really put in a hard effort, redlining for over half of the run. My time was 1 sec slower than the previous run 2 weeks before where I took it relatively easy. The only difference was the temperature, 8c warmer around 20c.

I have entered the Canada Day 5k. A larger race on July first. I have won the 70-74 AG for the last couple of years but not too optimistic this year. The 70 year old newbies will be a problem.

Mick
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Ray: I hope the calf is okay? and stands up to the 10k tomorrow-Best of Luck :)

Mick Oh I love that thank you I feel old some days :) I noticed my stride length increases as well.I wonder why your cadence drops?
    Good luck with your 5k and let's hope the newbies are not as fast as you :)
    But I know what you mean there are some super fast 70+ runners,also 50,60 as well!

Yesterday 7 miles building up slowly not to deplete energy reserve's it was tiny bit faster but still around 30 secs a mile slower but as long as I can run I am happy.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Mick-good the weather has got better at last.All the best for your 5k in July.

Tonights 10k was pretty hard with one very long steep hill and a few smaller ones as well.Must admit i didn’t feel up for it tonight for some reason but got it done nevertheless.Most of the run was on forest trails and one section of road where you climb this steep hill.The weather was absolutely perfect thankfully and nice food afterwards which is nice.So just two more races left to do in the series.My time was 47:53 .
  • Options
    Hi All

yup - still alive thanks, if not kicking :)
    I got called in to two new projects with suspect cladding and they have required a huge amount of time 

More later
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, TS!

Well done again Ray: that run sounds even faster when one takes into account the terrain!

Good progress, GL!

And all seems to be progressing with you, also, Mick!

When do you next pin a number on, WP?
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Great to see TS and hope to hear more soon from you :)

Ray: Great job on your 10k race and I am sure more to come on a flatter course?How was calf?

Alehouse: I next pin a number on  2 weeks Sunday 7th July a 10k last race as a 54 year old;)
    Jolly glad I had no races before this with fatigue but all coming good again I think, as a lot faster today still 20 sec a mile slower than normal but at least not the  1 minute+ a mile it was.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Welshpoppy, sounds like you're on the mend.

Mick, don't write off your chance of winning your age group in the Canada Day race but that's the trouble with progressing through one - pesky people keep joining it at the younger end...

Ray, you must be pleased with a sub-48 10K on a course like that, plus not feeling at your best.

The relay race on Wednesday I help organize went very well. The sun came out and there weren't any issues we know of with parking. 108 teams took part but we had to turn down quite a few entries as our maximum had been reached. Maybe we can increase the numbers next year to meet demand. I think the course could take it.

I'm doing the hilly Gibside park run tomorrow. I had planned to do a flatter one I like, but the main Newcastle park run is closed for a couple of weeks so other local runs will be congested. The Gibside run is a bit out of the way and rarely has a field of more than a 110 or so.

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham-good news all went well with the relays,hope you parkrun goes okay.

Welshpoppy-thankfully no issues with the calf.
  • Options
    Hi guys - haven't been around because I haven't been doing any running apart from the odd Parkrun.

Just walking the dog but I had to post today as I got 74.35% for my 28.59 Cornwall Park run.

But then I see Alehouse has done 74.74% AG great result!

I keep on thinking I'll do some runs but my knee is still tender so playing it safe.

Supposed to bike or water run but have done neither!

Glad to see the thread still going - well glad to see you guys are still going and Hi to Welsh Poppy - you are storming!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi all - blank week here - some kind of virus (tired all the time, no appetite, random pains in upper body), also another funeral ( a friend from schooldays, whom I still met for drinks every couple of months) - very sad . . .  considered jogging round parkrun as a test today, but still feeling ropey, so I'll probably complete a full week off, and hopefully be back to it on Monday.   

meantime, great result, Ray - you're going very well, and good to see TS & NZC pop back in :)    hope your parkrun went well today, Graham . . .

speaking of results, my 67 year old clubmate won Gold in the FV65 category at the BMAF 5K Road Championship at Horwich last weekend. She ran 22:02, which also put her top of the UK rankings for 2019, and scored 92% Age Grade.   

enjoy your weekend, everyone

Dave