Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Mick:

Thank you you reminded me I can do doubles and would help me with long run:-)
    I also noticed the same with garmin and treadmills thank goodness i do not need to do them very often.

Dave:

Oh my Goodness me that is so muddy for the runners and supporters!!

2.2 miles on Friday as not feeling too good.
    Saturday 4.56 and all was a lot better and back to normal.

Scheduled is ripped and in binback to what I love to do freestyle:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    well done on your >70% WAVA -your swimming must have improved :)!!

Dave
    as I often say - xcountry is the devil's work!!
    Hope you managed to extract your wellies from the mud 
    Were any of your family running/swimming?

Welshpoppy
    sometimes it's just the knowledge that on certain days that one has to do something (normally something outside one's comfort zone) that makes a schedule so daunting and unappealing.

I felt a bit like that this morning as I set off to try and extend distance a bit which I just managed to do getting to 6.1 miles in 62:10 (10:12m/m) with avHR 133 and max of 145.
    Last mile felt better than the previous 5 in which I generally struggled in a gusty wind
  • Options
    woke up to 3" of snow this morning - lovely thought I, a nice run in clean crisp snow.

By the time I got out is was thawing and simultaneously snowing and everything underfoot was turning to slush and ice - not too pleasant.  of course the road and pavements hadn't been gritted or cleared despite it being forecast so I slipped and plodged 3 miles in 36 mins - a personal worst!

High/low light was stopping to help a woman who had slipped over on a steep hill- just got her onto her feet when I promptly slipped myself and skidded down the hill. Fortunately I didn't bring her down again!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poppy - glad you are feeling "back to normal"  . .

TS - encouraging run, given that the last mile was the "best" . .   

yes, thanks - managed to keep the wellies on (unlike my son's clubmate, who lost both shoes in the morass , and DNF'd) !   my son was 158th ; his highest placing (he was around 170th last year) , he was pleased with his run  (1,710 finished the Senior Men's race).   

schedules - unlike WP, I'm much better when I write one - if I go "freestyle", I end up floundering !   so, I shall now write mine for the week - it will start with a run towards lunchtime today, when the current (yet again) heavy rain is forecast to abate . . .   

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    x-post - a dramatic morning, TS !!!   
  • Options
    Torque:

Well done on your yesterday but also today!! Blimey snow and slipping and a good samaritan....I hope you are okay no damage from fall?

Dave:

Is it not strange how we have different ways to train pre achilles I always ran to a schedule loved it,yet post achilles I have had to learn to listen to my body and go freestyle.
    Well done to son on his placing! I saw pictures of both Sctland and Yorkshire and both looked horrid yet Wales it was just windy:-)

Sunday 5.5 miles and apart from creeky trees all was well.

Today torrential rain and winds so I went out later  just 3.5 miles as path flooded first time this year .No snow just lots of rain.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    It looks like one of those survivor courses, definitely not my thing.

TS,
    6 miles, you're half way, well done!
    The knight in shining armour is supposed to look debonair and suave not rolling down the hill like Mony Python. You need to reread the manual.
    We are getting unbelievably warm weather here, everything is melting. Enjoy the snow.

With the warm weather I decided to extend my scheduled 4k tempo to 5k.

2020-02-24T17:52:29ZS Tempo
    BR 5k tempo, felt too hard but pace was right.
     Weather data South March , Conditions - light rain
      Mean Temp =  10c,  Min Temp =   8c,  Max Temp =  11c  Humidity = 56%
      Mean Wind Speed = 4.6 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 210

Total Non-moving Time = 7.0 secs
    Run Duration = 38:28,  Run Length = 6.40 Kms or 3.98 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:00 per Km or 09:40 per Mile, Age grade =  62.3 %

Moving Run Duration = 38:21 (* Laps include non-moving time)
    Average Run Moving Pace = 05:59 per Km or 09:38 per Mile, Age grade =  62.5 %
    Average Run WHR = 75.8 %,  Max Run WHR = 98.5 %

Average Run Cadence = 86.2, Average stride length = 0.97 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    * 01     06:21     1.0        0.6      06:21      10:13      54.8%     65.2%      85.0       0.93
    #02     05:44     1.0        0.6      05:44      09:14      44.4%     80.0%      87.0       1.00
    #03     06:00     1.0        0.6      06:00      09:39      82.2%     87.4%      87.0       0.96
    #04     06:04     1.0        0.6      06:04      09:46      87.4%     91.9%      86.0       0.96
    #05     06:06     1.0        0.6      06:06      09:49      88.9%     93.3%      86.0       0.95
    #06     05:58     1.0        0.6      05:58      09:36      90.4%     95.6%      86.0       0.97
    #07     02:22     0.4        0.3      05:51      09:26      91.9%     98.5%      87.0       0.98

It turned out a little harder to do than I hoped but I seem to be making progress.

My software goes out and gets the weather data for me, it was cloudy but I did not see any light rain. I access data from a weather station about 10 miles away so it could have been raining there.

Mick

• Options
    Dave
    top 10% for your son - very well done.  Must have webbed feet :)

Welshpoppy
    creaky trees can be a bit disconcerting when running under them!  I think every dead branch has been stripped off them over the past weeks by the high winds and they lie pulped and pulverised over all the paths around here
    No damage done to me, thanks, but my leggings needed a good wash!!

Mick
    I slid downhill gracefully :)  15 stone generates a lot of momentum on a steep hill. Just as well there was no one else walking up the hill otherwise it could have been ten pin bowling time!

I can see your daughter's challenge is beginning to prey on your mind :)
    Your cadence seems to have dropped a bit for such a session?  Where was your maxHR as it doesn't show on the splits ?  Just a spike?
    At least you were able to get outside but a 40 degree swing in temperature in such a short time is just crazy!!

All our snow had gone by last evening - replaced by rain :/ - which I am getting heartedly fed up of. 

Not as bad as some folk of course, one advantage of living half way up a big hill, but the gardens are flooded with standing water as there is nowhere for it to drain to and the clay subsoil doesn't let it drain down. if weather is going to continue to get wetter I may have to put in field drains otherwise the gardens will by unusable for much of the year.

Loaded upon pancakes this morning for breakfast so I should be at peak carbo loading for tonight's Hash - hopefully it will stay dry as I plan to run to the venue to get a couple of extra miles in...............
  • Options
    Torque:

We also have clay sub soil  so understandall too well. This Winter has not been cold just very wet! There was great excitement Snow predicted and for ALL of Wales but then I see that one of the few places was here will mean ice more than likely!

I see good carb loading for Hash and extending the miles in prep for your GNR :) hope leggings are nice and clean.

Today a short window so 5.5 miles for me no rain or wind which is a first in a long time.I get home the skies go dark and hailstone and rain.....for once I was lucky to miss it..............
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    good timing on your run!

Well it did clear up so I ran the 2 miles to the venue and then an abridged trail of 3.2 miles as the weather had closed in again and washed it out!!
    It meant rehydration in the pub went on for longer....................

Usual 4 miles this morning on tired legs in 40:02 (9:58m/m) after allowing 20 seconds for stopping and retying a shoelace was ok .
    Bright and frosty morning was a pleasant change. Despite all the rain and wind the bulbs are pushing up and the cherry trees in the front garden are turning pink - so spring is arriving :)
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Signs of spring ! That will not happen here for a while.
    Yes I noticed that the cadence and stride length have some room to grow. Hopefully on a race day that would give me a few minutes off overall.
    My hr profile screwed up a bit but you can see I spent the right amount of time in zone 4 without redlining.

It was a little high for the pace but still encouraging.

I managed a recovery run yesterday but unfortunately I had to cut it short to 5.5k.
    After the big thaw everything froze so there was black ice everywhere. I finished up walking a lot.

Today was a gym session so the usual routine with rubber bands and weights.

We have a storm warning, 40cms of snow is expected over the next 48 hours and it has just started so looks like  will be doing a lots shoveling and definitely running indoors.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick
    I thought you had just got rid of that snow thing!!!
    Black ice - just about the worst surface imaginable to run on particularly when one cant tell the difference between what is just wet and what is frozen
    Your HR profile looks fine on the graph.

Well another dry sunny morning here with just a touch of frost to liven it up and I fairly "galloped " around the 4 miles in 39:46 (9:51m/m) with avHR of 103 which was clearly b*llocks!!

Pleased to clock 9:48 for the final mile uphill which was the quickest for a long time :)
  • Options
    Torque

Well done on your uphill mile :) blimey 103 HR that is crazy low.
    I noticethe tree on the corner had blossom 3 weeks ago start a cherry tree but it has been mild.I am waiting for it to bite us on the bottom!

Mick

Black ice nothing worse  and more snow.Good luck with snow shovelling bet you wish you were backin the sunshine!

Tuesday afternoon my back was niggling but thought it would settle down no suchluck so no run yesterday.Today I decide to see if a run may help it........3.3 miles it was okay running but still niggling meso more painkillers and heat........Do you think someone is having a laugh at my expense!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Are you going to do any shorter races before the big one, eg a Park Run?

WP,
    Whenever I have had a back issue I have always found that a gentle run helps free it up with, of course, all my usual post race stretching and exercises.

Stuck indoors today, apart from going out every few hours to shoveling. The snow is wet and heavy so it is a serious workout. The city snow plow has still not been so I still have the mountain of ice that they dump at the end of the drive to clear.
    As I am somewhat bored I ran some software I had written to analyse my 80 megs of run data accumulated since 2004. It looked at the race AGs I had got and plotted them.

As you can see a big drop after I injured my left knee. I am coming back slowly. I think it is reasonable to assume that you should be able to maintain your AG over the years assuming no major health issues.
    So the goal is to get back over 70%.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick:

Thanks I am finding my back is fine on a run as you say I am stretching it as well post run.It is getting there,painkillers, heat patch and gel.

Today 4.5 miles in torrential bouncing off the floor rain the pool of water was up past ,my knee's but i am short so only ran as far as it and turned around :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    Sounds like you need to wear a life jacket. Different problem here I am having trouble seeing over the top of the snow banks along the residential roads. 

Indoors on the treadmill again, too much snow and too cold.
    I managed a 2 x 1k repeat at an 8:40 per mile pace, according to the treadmill. Garmin got in slightly slower and the recoveries slightly faster.
    Happier with the average cadence and stride length during the repeats, but still have work to do. If I can get outside I will be including strides after my run.

09:58 AM Friday, February 28, 2020
    Treadmill, 2 x 1k repeats, felt strong.
    Total Non-moving Time = 12.0 secs
    Run Duration = 32:15,  Run Length = 5.34 Kms or 3.32 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:02 per Km or 09:43 per Mile, Age grade =  61.1 %
    Moving Run Duration = 32:03 (* Laps include non-moving time)
    Average Run Moving Pace = 06:00 per Km or 09:39 per Mile, Age grade =  61.4 %
    Average Run WHR = 76.6 %,  Max Run WHR = 91.1 %
    Average Run Cadence = 86.2, Average stride length = 0.96 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    * 01     06:16     1.0        0.6      06:16      10:05      57.8%     65.9%      86.0       0.93
    #02     03:22     0.5        0.3      06:11      09:57      66.7%     69.6%      86.0       0.94
    #03     05:29     1.0        0.6      05:29      08:49      81.5%     85.2%      89.0       1.02
    #04     00:15     0.0        0.0      06:31      10:29      84.4%     85.2%      88.0       0.87
    #05     06:25     1.0        0.6      06:25      10:20      77.0%     85.2%      83.0       0.94
    #06     00:20     0.0        0.0      07:07      11:27      77.8%     78.5%      84.0       0.84
    #07     05:33     1.0        0.6      05:33      08:56      88.9%     91.1%      89.0       1.01
    #08     00:09     0.0        0.0      08:38      13:54      90.4%     91.1%      90.0       0.64
    #09     04:26     0.7        0.4      06:23      10:17      85.2%     91.1%      83.0       0.94

Mick

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't get one of the large fans so I thought my hr would be off the charts but it was ok.

Cadence shows a nice response when I step up the pace.

Still show a slight decline over the whole run. It seems I warm up and can maintain pace by lengthening my stride. Garmin doesn't pick that up it just assumes I slowed which I didn't. 
    Running outside makes it more obvious.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done in the deluge, Poppy 

Mick - admire your indoor running  . . .    

TS - good work finishing strongly uphill - and overcoming the hardship of longer rehydration session . . . .    

quietish week here - a couple of 4 - 5 milers, but 9.5 today - hilly run ;  3+ "down then up" to parkrun venue- debuting at this one - wanted to go, as my daughter was making her 100th parkrun - she jogged it socially with pals (still too quick for me ) :)  course was 3 laps (hilly) , then cake afterwards, allowing my legs to really seize up before the 3+ "down then up" back home .  Good morning out, though, run & seeing daughter anfd friends :)  

Dave
  • Options
    Mick:

I always admire your dedication to the spreadsheet data and indoor running! and seeing where you could improve.

Dave:

That sounds a great week and sonice to run the same parkrun as daughter a special occasion with her 100th park run.I like cake as well before running back home :)

Back has eased off which is great news but felt queasy again this morning and not myself....no idea who but she could not run for toffee turned around after a mile to come home where I rain into a hailstone shower for 5 minutes,it felt like golf balls but baby sized :)

In other news race number arrived for Sunday next week............I shall not be running it.What a waste of money!!

Coronovirus has hit Wales 5 miles from us chap back from Italy........I shall be bunkering down and washing hands often!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    It sounds like a great day out despite the hills. Just the sort of outing I would enjoy. How did you resist the temptation to chase your daughter even if you couldn't catch her.

WP,
    I liked your typo "where I rain into a hailstone shower". Not the sort of weather for running outside, no wonder you felt off.
    I feel that the media are totally over reacting to the coronavirus. Far more people are affected by the seasonal flu every year, why the big reaction to this.
    I don't use spreadsheets, too much work. I wrote a desktop app for tracking my training and have constantly added features as I enjoy programming. It is now a huge program that can present my data every way I could think of with the click of the mouse.

-15c with a windchill of -25c so you can guess what I did today. 
    I wanted a steady easy longer run after two speed sessions this week.
    I ran 8k at 10:30 per mile.
    It felt too easy but I was delighted with my HR profile.

Virtually no drift, didn't over heat and could have easily gone further without any issues. Clearly making progress.
    I have entered a second race in April so the pressure is on.
    This is a 5k that runs pass where I am going to build my new house. The small town puts on an annual race and closes all the streets for it so I felt compelled to enter.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick:
    Ah so a software programme that sounds perfect a click of a mouse and more data than you can shake a stick at!

Great news on your races so two in April:-)

Today I felt back to normal back all healed  so back to hills first time in 10 days and longest distance in 10 days! 6.12 miles and a faster pace 10.40 average pace for 459ft happy with that:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    Brutal hailstones just when you were not feeling great!
    Pleased to hear to were back to normal to day

Mick
    more brutal weather for you as well.  Indoors doesn't sound so bad.
    Excellent session yesterday and that is a long way on a treddie

Dave
    I find exactly the same thing - stop running for a while and can't get going again :(
    Still a very good session from you - pity about the younger generation getting away from you - have they no respect :)?

I got up yesterday intent on doing the local parkrun as it was the last opportunity I was likely to have to run one on the 29 February ( the next one, being in 2049, I think I may pass on!!) only to find it had been called off as the course was flooded. Too late to go to another one ..........

This morning was, to use that word again, brutal
    Strong, near gale force winds which always appeared to be a headwind battered me and I was glad to quit after 5.2 miles in 53:30 told its own tale, the last mile being 90 seconds slower that Friday's as I stumbled uphill into the gale.
    Character forming........................... maybe not as I had started out hoping to do 7 miles!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    TS has largely written what I was going to write re MickBirch and WP! Shame about your parkrun yesterday; doubt I will run the next February 29th one either! And I had the same winds this morning; fortunately it was a recovery run followed by stretches in the fitness suite.

parkrun yesterday on my nearest course. Puddles where I have never seen puddles. Ran my slowest time for the course by a few seconds, but was still pleased with 25:15 as the course includes a few hills in the first half and the back seems to have coped. At last. 

Bad result for Leicester on Friday, great result for Watford and let's hope Villa get a bit of luck in the second half of this match! Why VAR can't cover obvious officiating mistakes I don't know! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    we could always have a bet to see who makes it :) No zimmer frames allowed!!
    Yup - puddles everywhere.  you still did a very respectable time for the parkrun and good news that the back is not reacting - yet!!
    Strange results over the weekend.  I am with you on VAR for those mistakes far more than for an elbow being in an offside position!

Lovely dry, frosty morning here (now snowing!) but my legs were shredded from yesterday and I plodded 4 miles in 41:05 (10:12m/m) and in the words of Paul Simon "wishing I were home" for nearly every step :/  
  • Options
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin - 60 day trial update

Just finished first 60 days.
    results are probably best described as inconclusive.
    The good news is that there has been no further increase in pain or stiffness levels in my hands, hips and knees and my hands are probably back to normal, although they were only mildly affected previously.
    Hips and knees are about the same, some >slight lessening in stiffness in the left knee and hip, my right knee and hip less so.

I have just bought 180 capsules from Boots so the trial is extended!
  • Options
    Torque

But you ran and won the war with the weather  well done:-)

Blimey I will be 85 if I am still around and if still running hope so:-)
    Some runs are like that you just do not feel thelove then other days we are flying.

Ale:

Well done on park run time and back finally  beaten into submission.

Well as I love the hills it does mean a 6am start to beat traffic and kids so out of bed for 4.55 was harsh first time in a long time only 9 hours sleep not the 11+ I like or my body likes.I run slower at that time which is no surprise I just have to deal with it. 4 minutes slower this morning for same distance and route.It was 0 degrees a little nippy but no wind or rain-yay :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Stretches in the fitness suite, very posh. Good result for your parkrun given the conditions.

TS,
    I think I prefer my weather to yours, it sounds awful.
    I don't know anyone our age who doesn't have aches and pains, but then you are a lot older than me.

WP,
    Only 85, try over 100. 
    I am an early morning person so I typically have no problem getting up for a run. While on holiday I will typically get up do my run and bring the coffee in for my wife before she is awake.

Much warmer today only -2c this morning. I wanted to do a 4k tempo but we had snow over night and the footing was risky so back indoors.
    I was really pleased again with my HR profile

I think it may be time to revised my tempo pace.
    Today I ran at a 9:30 pace and as you can see I stayed in the orange zone with no drift.
    Garmin under estimated my pace a bit but the treadmill was very consistent and I increased the pace a little on the last k with no difficulty.
    10:34 AM Monday, March 02, 2020
    Treadmill, 4k tempo 10.2 kph, felt strong all the way Garmin's bit slow.
    Run Duration = 34:05,  Run Length = 5.5 Kms or 3.4 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:09 per Km, 09:54 per Mile, Age grade =  60.1 %
    Average Run WHR = 80.0 %,  Max Run WHR = 88.4 %
    Average Run Cadence = 86.2, Average stride length = 0.94 m
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile   KPH     MPH      AWHR     MWHR   Cadence  Slength(m)
     01     03:26     0.5        0.3      06:19      10:09     09.5     05.9     65.2%     71.0%       86.0        0.92
     02     06:00     1.0        0.6      06:00      09:39     10.0     06.2     75.4%     78.3%       88.0        0.95
     03     06:01     1.0        0.6      06:01      09:41     10.0     06.2     79.7%     82.6%       87.0        0.96
     04     06:01     1.0        0.6      06:01      09:41     10.0     06.2     84.1%     86.2%       87.0        0.96
     05     06:05     1.0        0.6      06:05      09:47     09.9     06.1     86.2%     88.4%       86.0        0.96
     06     06:32     1.0        0.6      06:32      10:31     09.2     05.7     82.6%     88.4%       83.0        0.92

I had my annual blood tests today and my shingles vaccine. The health system here is not as generous as in the UK. I had to pay for them. 

Mick 

• Options
    Mick:

Ah I am usually always back home to make Mr P breakfast as he is a late riser :)

Yesterday 6 miles at 6am again I am slower but I know why.I also did the same again today and was out at 5.50 this morning.Doing this all week then build up the distance next week.I may have a lie in at the weekend:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick
    good progress on the tempo runs
    i have paid for the NHS for 50 years - its time I got something out of it!!

Welshpoppy
    you beat me out of bed even though I only have around 6 hours a night  - I go to bed late!
    Good back to back runs
    Only 85?? Whippersnapper  :)

Tough 5 miles last night including a mile jog to pub. No food so had to make do with beer.

Missed a run this morning as I was waiting for a plumber to call as the boiler had gone off. Of course he didn't come and I ended up fixing it myself - the top up valve top has stripped and although it turned it didn't turn the valve stem. It was difficult to reach so I mangled the head a bit so he will still have to come and change the valve but at lest we now have heat as it was a frosty night and day!

Off to Newcastle for 3 days - no home match (un)fortunately but an entertaining game last night. Thought we might have had a tie against Sheffield Wednesday but as we have one over on Man City they will do :/!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    11 hours sleep !?  wow - Rip Van Poppy :)   nice early running, btw  :)  

Mick - excellent and encouraging tempo running there  . . . .    

alehouse/TS -  it was a relief to escape with a 1-0  (and had we had VAR, Aguero's goal would have been ruled out on the "big toe" basis (but I'm not moaning about that, having been irked all season by goals being chalked off on that basis)  
    btw, Wednesday makes the Magpies look like the epitome of a well run club   . . . . .   

12 this afternoon - middle 6 with a buddy. legs feeling very stiff now - have to say I'm suffering at the moment with stiff knees a constant companion. I've started the strengthening etc, so will have to persevere - it seems worse after days off - maybe I'm condemned to run daily forever  . . .    :)   

Dave