Options

Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    saintjason, I sympathise. I had a particularly awful sleep on Wednesday night due to the wind - I actually ended up reading for an hour because I couldn't get back to sleep. And then when I finally did, I slept until 8am and missed my yoga class.
    Slept OK last night, thankfully. Still getting used to the new mattress, though - it's very firm compared to the old one (but hey, at least it doesn't sag as though a hippo had been lying on it!)
    Robert, I'm trying to eat clean too. I bought that Racing Weight book, which wasn't quite as enlightening as I'd hoped (it boils down to don't diet, eat clean and don't be afraid of carbs). I think the trick is not to have temptations in the house. I haven't actually dropped any pounds though... I think I need to watch my portions.
    4 miles recovery today, which were slow and arduous.
    Which park run do you do, Robert? My local is Tooting Common but I'm thinking of doing some tourism tomorrow as Tooting is much too busy at the moment. Last week there was a queue out of the funnel.
  • Options
    Wind kept me awake Wednesday night too. I'm fairly used to sleep deprivation though, having pretty much dealt with it since my oldest son was born 6 years ago. It does mean I need to get my runs done in the morning if I can as, by the evening most days I'm shattered.

Out the door 0520 Thurs morning for 11 miles at MP plus 40s which felt fine despite the headwind which, annoying seemed to completely die on the return, thus offering no assistance.

I've found key to keep eating clean is making sure I eat enough carbs (unrefined of course) around the harder training runs (I try to do recovery runs or short GA runs fasted) because even if I do feel OK for most of the day, lack of calories catches up with me in the evening when I'm tired and I'm way more likely to eat rubbish. Doesn't help that we've still got a fair bit of kids chocolate hanging around from Christmas!
  • Options
    Trying to eat healthier but giving in to my chocolate addiction all too easily. Diet generally ok and haven't touched alcohol since NYE. 

Dropped a couple of kg but nothing significant. I'm certainly not dieting but am trying to watch portion sizes. 
  • Options
    17 miles today done and dusted by 10:15am. Was weather watching and managed to dodge the sleet/snow that has fallen since I got in. Reasonably comfortable but pushed the pace a little towards the end as I got colder. 

Having a slightly easier week next week before the 20 milers start at the end of the month. Still fairly ploddy at the moment and wondering if this approach will pay off. In past campaigns I have run my long runs a little closer to predicted marathon pace. Time will tell I guess. 
  • Options
    Well done, jason. Weather forecast down here was for rain and it was spitting at first but when it started to come down properly I realised it was sleet. Yucky yuck! Still, I got 16 miles done (planned for 15 but it was just how the route worked out). A bit slow, but a negative split which is good.
    My hip is quite sore (it was before the run) so I'll have to be careful with it. It didn't bother me during the run itself, but  I'll be keeping close tabs on it and I think I will have to focus on quality over quantity at this point.
  • Options
    well done Jason and Cal some good miles in yukky conditions.  Jason got my plan on a word doc and try to only look a week or two in advance and not seen a 20 miler for the next week yet but I know they are on their way!!!  Cal whats up with the hip? is it a reoccurring problem?  The biggest part of the battle is getting to the line fit and injury free.

Running went to plan, started early Saturday 16.2 miles in total and included 4 laps of my parkrun (4th was at parkrun time and arrived with seconds before the off) each lap got wetter, icier and muddier as the rain came down, completed parkrun in 25.10.  The carried on for another couple of miles home.

Sunday went out in sleet, managed 12 miles passing 27 runners, think i got it wrong as no one else was wearing t shirt and shorts.  Also only got 3 nods/ smiles/ hellos back miserable gits!!!!

As for weight loss... after mon-fri being good it didnt go to quite to plan, back on it again today! 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your hip Cal, I hope its just a wee niggle and it sorts itself out.

Looks like some nice mileage from everyone over the weekend.

My hip seems to off sorted itself out after a week of rest, stretching, foam rolling and massage but I am a bit behind in training now and was hoping to get about 13 miles done on Sunday but the ice was ridiculous and just got a slippy slidey 10 miles done.

I was planning on doing XC on Saturday but skipped that and just did easy 3mile instead. I didn't feel up for it after a week off and felt a bit of a cold coming on.

Hopefully the weather is kind to me this week and my hip behaves itself.
  • Options
    Good running everyone, sounds like things are starting to come together.

Off road half went well for me on Sunday. I woke up feeling well rested, which makes a change and I felt good and ready for the race. By the time I got there however, having driven through mist and sleet and then seeing the sheer amount of water running down the roads and the mud (I had a job getting into the car park), then the cold once I got out of the car, I was in the mindset of "let's just get this done". I think a lot of people felt similar, judging by the looks on faces at the start.

I did a 2 mile warm up to keep the mileage up, intending to do a mile warm down to make the 16 miles I was supposed to do. Already soaked to the bone, I started way too far back so was a bit frustrated for the first half mile as it was too narrow to get past anyone as we started the first big climb. However, after half a mile, it opened up and I started to move through, surprised at how sprightly I felt. I decided to chuck myself down the first descent as I like to do, to see how that felt and it felt great! Flying past loads more people with little effort. From there on, I had a ball. I've never run a race with so much mud and deep water on the course and I doubt I ever will again - it really was crazy conditions but I embraced it (occasionally a little too much as I managed to fall in deep water twice!). By about mile 6 I was on my own with a big gap behind and ahead, although I could occasionally see the runner in front of me and seemed to be gaining on him slowly. I just kept a nice steady pace and was really pleased to find that the fitness and endurance I kept telling myself was there from last year, really was there. I didn't tire and managed to maintain my pace right to the end, overtaking another four runners in the last couple of miles. Really pleased with how it went, particularly feeling so good at the end.

Little bit of soreness was developing by late afternoon yesterday but that seems to have mostly gone now. 5 mile recovery this afternoon and then back to it properly with 10 miles (5 at HMP) tomorrow and 11 miles Thursday. Slight stress about when I'm going to fit my 17 miler in on Sunday as my wife is away so I need to dump the kids for a couple of hours but I'm sure I'll get it done somehow. Next weeks recovery week is going to be very welcome I think!

Weighed in this morning, hoping to see a little progress, to find I'm 1/2 lb heavier. I feel a bit leaner though and have noticed a bit less plumpness around the middle so I'm not too worried. I have found in the past that paying too much attention to individual weigh ins isn't helpful as, even during fairly consistent periods of losing weight, you'll always get the occasional little variation the wrong way for what could be any of a load of reasons. I know I'm doing the right things so I'll keep going.
  • Options
    Robert/Zippy - I was injured most of the Autumn. Nothing wrong with the joint itself but the TFL got overworked and stressed out and became very painful. Ended up having cortisone. I was able to start running again a week after that and have been building up steadily since. I'm just concerned I may have built up a bit too quickly this month (I did 25 miles in the first week of Jan including a 10 mile run, to 37 in the second week, with a 13.1 mile run. This week was 36 miles but that included the 16 on Sunday).
    I will have a cut back week this week. Given that I'm 50 (and menopausal!) I have to respect my body's ability to recover, even though my brain tells me I'm 25.
    Hence just a 4 mile recovery run today (preceeded by a lot of mashing with various balls and my roller).
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the training is starting to be ramped up for this!

I'm on a recovery mission having had a nightmare at Abbingdon in October-went out at PB pace (2:41), blew up at 17 miles and then got terrible cramps which meant that I basically hobbled/walked the last 5 miles to finish in 3:13.

Hope this one goes a bit more to plan! Training has started well and already have a couple of promising 20 milers under my belt.

12 miles at 4:15 am this morning in the wind and rain again!
  • Options
    That's impressive, Tom (not just the pace but your ability to do 12 miles at that time of the morning).

My number for Hampton Court half arrived so I decided to try a bit of a progression run today - 8 miles. The progressions were a bit haphazard - small increments on some miles and huge chunks on others. I've done no speedwork aside from a few parkruns since my injury but it felt good to blow out the cobwebs. I'm in no danger of challenging the HM PB I set a year ago due to my Autumn lay-off (and various persistent niggles) so I'll just use it at a tune-up, I reckon.
  • Options
    I try to get out early Tom, but that's the middle of the night!

When is Hampton Court Half Cal? If it's any time soon, I don't think you'll be alone in not being in HM PB shape. I'm struggling to do current HM pace for a few miles at the moment!

Mixed bag for me since Sunday's fun and games. Soreness kicked in but Tuesday's recovery helped a lot. Terrible, terrible nights sleep Tuesday and then out the door Wednesday morning at 5am for 10 miles, with 5 at HMP. Very windy. Unsurprisingly, it was rubbish. I got to 3 miles of the tempo part OK but then turned into a really strong headwind which I just couldn't fight against. I kept going for 1/2 a mile and then tried to do the last 1.5 further on when I was out of the wind but I just didn't have it in me. Managed another mile at HMP + 20 before moping home. Then, today an 11 miler at MP + 30s which felt great and I really enjoyed. I was of a mind to swap these runs around and I wish I had now as I'd have got a lot more out of the tempo if I'd done it this afternoon.
  • Options

zippy well done in getting out in crap conditions, so easy to turn over and go back to bed or do nothing.  Hope the early signs of a cold have gone!

Cotswold, similar when I do my middle miles at HMP there is a route I use and get a headwind on the way back but its flat along the river so stick with it.  I try and avoid swapping tempo runs for an easier run as I'll probably end up skipping it.

Cal well done for adapting the plan, many wouldn't and then get injured or tire.  I'm also struggling to be half marathon fit and like Cotswold have struggled at HMP.

Tom well done on getting a couple of 20s done already, my 1st one not a few weeks.  You feeling confident of a PB?

After my weekend legs were tired but forced myself on the dreadmill for 16x200m at 5k pace (14kmp/21.30) 200m recovery.  Tired on Wednesday so rested and did house stuff (brownie points) and today plan was 6 miles middle 4 at HMP (7.30miles) but it wasn't going to happen today but pushed for sub 8min miles.

10 steady slow miles tomorrow, parkrun or a short run Saturday and have 13 miles at faster than mp on Sunday, may switch that for a longer slow run instead.

Have a 10k on 4th Feb with Elle but she's not been running recently and will probably end up swapping (if I can) to an event in July.  There is a local 10k race on the 11th which I may do instead.

Anyone want to connect on strava feel free to follow! https://www.strava.com/athletes/11134992

also twitter @robohara83

• Options
    Ah well, Robert, I'm not actually following a plan as such. I have an idea of how long my long runs should be and then the rest I do depending on how I feel. That way, if something isn't feeling right or I have a crap night's sleep or whatnot, I can adapt.

Cotswold - three weeks! But I also have The Big Half two weeks after that. (I'm not worried about doing two halves close together - I've done halves on consecutive weekends on three occassions and set PBs in the second race twice now).
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Robert-Not feeling confident at all after my Abingdon disaster so will not be putting any pressure on myself to even attempt a PB. I'm hoping a more relaxed approach might pay off this time.

Great training going on from Cal, Cotswold and Robert (amongst others no doubt). Most important thing is to get the miles done at this stage especially in the recent conditions we have had!

Slight signs of improvements in the weather this morning-long may it continue! Tempo session-10 miles mixing LT and MP paces-6:06 avg m/m felt reasonable. I've got two HM's (Wokingham and Bath) coming up so looking to get the longer tempo runs in preparation for them in the bank.

Have a good weekend. Hope the long runs go well for everybody!
  • Options
    I've had a rash show up on one side of my waist, which I thought might be shingles (I've had that before, though not for years) so I took a full rest on Friday but felt well enough to attend a running workshop yesterday (my form is terrible, by the way - I am a shuffler and barely lift my legs, but eh, I knew that).
    As the rash hasn't got any worse I was out for 17 miles today. For some reason it felt a lot harder than the 16 I did last weekend, though my overall pace was a little quicker. I pretty much died during the last three miles. I'm wondering if I got more dehydrated due to it being warmer (I'd finished all my water by 15 miles, whereas I still had water left at the end of my run last weekend).
    Never mind, it's 17 in the bank.
  • Options
    Nice 17 in the bank Cal. I don't take water but might start now that the next few long runs are 20 miles. 

Only 15 here as it was an easier week having built up to 17 last week. Tough going today as I felt tired despite it being an easier week. 

Tom - Some speedy paces in your tempo - no target in mind then? I would love to run 2:57 to get close to my PB but I'm not sure its on at all having had another longish layoff myself, carrying too much excess weight currently and also feeling pretty slow in general. 
  • Options
    Well done cal and Jason. Decent distance by both.

I managed 15.5 miles this morning which was comfortable. 

My first ever 40+ mile week planned next week.......
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Glad that rash hasn't got worse Cal. Well done on the 17 excellent miles banked. It did feel quite warm today so maybe a bit dehydrated. I could have done with some water myself today!

I often find 'easier' weeks a bit of a struggle SJ. Funny that. I'm sure you will be ready for 2:57 when the big day comes round! I haven't got a specific target in mind yet. Will leave that to race week.

2 hour 30 long run today. Just over 22 miles. Quite warm and very windy made it hard work at times-particularly the last 4 miles into the wind!!
  • Options
    Cal decent 17 miles getting the long runs in, Hope the rash is going/ gone and doesnt cause any issues!!! I've never had my form looked at however I'm sure it could be improved, both my mum and other half tell me that i'm quite easy to spot when I'm running and I don't think they being complimentary.

SJ weird how some runs you think should be more comfortable are the harder runs. Reckon its a mentality thing?  DO you think you'll be far off PB fitness come race day?

Zippy well done, I remember my 1st 30 and 1st 40 mile week milestones.... they give you a buzz and then it becomes the norm!

Tom great mileage and good pace, was out for similar time myself.

So plan was parkrun (which I didn't wake up for) and today a fast 13 miles (Didn't fancy that).  Yesterday for what was a steady 10 miles but found myself running comfortably sub marathon pace. As I have a 10k next week and no long run, I wanted to swap my plan to a 17 mile run, once again pushed the pace a bit too much and was tough towards the end but kept the pace steady average pace of 8.38 (PB pace is 8.30).

Well done everyone, 10 weeks today to race day! 
  • Options
    You know, this was an easier week for me too - just 12 miles (4 on Tuesday and 8 on Thursday) plus whatever drills I did yesterday. So maybe I'm just another easy week victim. :lol:
    Well done everyone and Zippy - good luck with the 40!
  • Options
    Some good long runs going on, well done all.

I got 18 done on Sunday. Felt a little bit harder than I was hoping it would but I maintained MP + 1 min. Finished the week on just over 50 miles. Glad to be in a recovery week now. 37 miles to do with only a 12 mile medium long run on the Sunday.

10 weeks seems like nothing, especially when you take the taper into account. 7-8 weeks to get it all done!
  • Options
    I thought that too! 7 weeks of training doesnt sound much! Need to shift this gut 
  • Options
    Yes, I made the same calculation about the amount of time left for real fitness work and realised that I needed to step up my training and stop missing sessions. This will be my first marathon and I don't know what I can get away with.

I'm going ok but I'm in one of those phases when I can't feel any improvement in my fitness or running so it all feels like hard work.

Keep running and keep smiling
  • Options
    Well, the stiffness in my right calf isn't going away. I thought it was just DOMS but it's grumpy as hell, so I've decided to rest and I'll see my physio tomorrow. Having had a calf tear in 2014, it's not something I want to risk as I could kiss Manchester (and the two halves I've got coming up) goodbye.
    I usually run in Nike Free Motions which have a 4mm drop, so I've just ordered some Zoom Flys which have a 10mm drop and should take the strain off my calves a bit. I'll alternate them with the Frees and see how I get on.
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! Only 7 weeks until taper time!

I see that you lot have been training well, keep it up! No injuries allowed now... 

I've been steadily increasing my mileage and long runs. I'm now up to a 50 mile week, with 17 miles on Sunday. Still trying to get my pre-injury fitness back, but it's agonisingly slow work. Things have been improving, but there's still a long way to go. Don't think I'll make it back to pre-injury fitness by the time we hear the gun. It will be what it will be.

Good luck, everyone! 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

7 weeks.....Blimey!

Hope the physio sorts that calf for you Cal. A few days rest probably best. A 4mm drop is quite aggressive so the 10s may well be very beneficial.

I'm sure you will have shifted it in 7 weeks Robert! Looking good at the moment. Target?

Nice long run at the weekend Cotswold. Hope recovery week is going well.

Looks like your training is going well Sol. You will get there.....keep building!

12 miles yesterday followed by 15 very early this morning (out the door at 4) at MPish pace. I find the back to back midweek MLRs the toughest part of the plan!

• Options
    Well, having stepped out of this thread 2 weeks ago, I'd better step right back in again.  I signed up last night. My nephew is in for his first marathon and I want to be on the start line with him... even if he'll be ahead and out of sight before mile 1.

Not sure I'm going to truly race it - I don't think I've quite enough time to be in with a chance of a PB...  and might go round steadily as a last training run before Newport marathon on 29th.  But then again, let's see what I can do in the next 7 weeks and make a decision on which will be my 'A' race.
  • Options
    Welcome back NE!
    Physio told me to rest for a week. My calf still hurts, but it seems it's just angry. I guess doing the running workshop (which featured a lot of warm-ups including hopping) the day before a hilly 17 miler on pavements just aggravated it, considering it was tight to start with. Gah! He said a lot of the problem is down to imbalance in my back (SI joint is stiff on that side - in fact my whole right side is still which is undoubtedly from all the PC gaming, since that's my mouse side and I tend to slump to the right if I don't watch myself). So I've work to do.

My Zoom Flys arrived (annoying I can't try them out yet!) so I had a walk around my flat in them and they really roll me forward when I take a step. Very different from the Frees. Should take a lot of stress of my calves, I think. Can't wait to take 'em for a spin.
  • Options
    Welcome back Northender and all the best for the calf Cal. Hope the new shoes help.

I'm starting to go a little bit crazy with how monotonous my running has become at the moment. It's all just very samey - same easy pace on the same routes. As somebody who tends to run mostly on trail and in the hills, training for a flat road marathon is definitely proving a mental challenge! Endurance phase is finished this week though so things should start to get more interesting and I should reap the benefits of the last 4-5 weeks somewhere down the line, hopefully!