Options

Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

NE - To taper or not to taper - I take your point onboard. Having never scheduled two maras back to back like that I don't think  I can really say much more. If it was my decision I think I would use Mcr as time on feet with some faster miles at the end - if you can. Runninga26.2 at any speed is still an effort. My target is train well up until the taper then see what I can do on the day. PB is just inside 3hrs and have managed that last three campaigns. However, I'm heavier and older so am taking this as it comes. I think I'll run Wilmslow half so will have a fairer idea on targets after that.

Shuka - as others have said, 3 weeks out flat-out half seems too close. Saying that I think Wilmslow is 4 weeks out so not much better really especially as i will probably do my time on feet run 3 weeks out. Solid training last week.

Cotswold - solid last week also, bagging a PB, good long run and consecutive mileage. Decent. The recovery and freshness usually means things are going well. Keep it up.

Sol - hope the Achilles has settled down. Very wise not to push that one.

Rob - nice progressive miles and finishing strong is always a boost mentally. Good stuff.

Cal - hope the leg settles down. Shame the massage didn't happen but rest days will calm it hopefully. 

Snow is affecting me slightly as we've had a fair coverage in East Manchester. Roads largely unaffected but pavements have frozen up now. Last night's 8 miler was a little tip-toe in places ok but oddly not as cold as the 20 down in the New Forest at the weekend.

Today however is a different story as the wind-chill is pretty bad. As I sit here I'm actually contemplating a zero day or worst still joining the local Gym temporarily to use the dreadmill :(

I might just tip-toe again brrrrrrrr

• Options
    Beast from the east in full force in Scotland now. 

I managed to get 4 1/2 miles done in the snow this afternoon before the red weather warning came into force. 

Running might be be tricky over the next couple of days.
  • Options
    Good luck with that Cal...  and well done Zippy.  I too sneaked a 5 miler in at lunchtime, and am really glad I didn't wait until this evening, because I would not have gone out.  That wind is not just unpleasant, but potentially dangerous!

Thanks for the input saintjason.  I've never done back-to-backs before either.  Another poster says Ron Hill used to like to do a full marathon distance at MP+20% three weeks before a big race - so it must be a good idea  (not that the rest of my training much resembles Ron Hill's!) 

Sub-3 is pretty darned impressive!  I'm aiming sub 3.20 to get GFA. My times for my last three road marathons have been Manchester 2016  3:24...  Manchester 2017  3:28  and Chester 2017  3:37....  so I've got a hell of a long way to go!  But apart from being unable to make much impression on my spare tyre, I feel like I've got the spirit of 2016 running through me.  3:20 might be just beyond me, but I might be able to challenge that 3:24 time.  Too early for accurate predictions though.
  • Options
    shukashuka ✭✭
    How's everyone doing with the snow? I managed to find an ok route to run Tuesday but resigned myself to the treadmill yesterday (though it was a snow day so it wasn't much bother walking to the gym mid morning). Will have to see how it develops today but it's veeeeery cold out with the windchill.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm staying indoors. My shin is quite tender so I'm not risking slipping around in the snow with it. Good excuse to stay inside anyway!
    NE - as you've done Chester, what's it like? I'm signed up for it - first Autumn marathon for me.
  • Options
    I've done a couple of treadmill sessions so far, I've seen a couple of people out on the pavements but I don't want to risk an injury from slipping on the snow having put in this much training.
    Had another appointment with the physio and he's done a great job fixing the sciatica that I was experiencing, I'm still running pain-free.

Hope everyone is coping and not letting the weather get you down.
  • Options
    I was planning on doing 10miles tonight but we have thick snow, gale force winds and a blizzard outside. The local gyms are closed so can’t even get to a treadmill.
  • Options
    First proper dump of snow here today. As I was "working from home" I got out for 9 trail miles mid morning before major snow was due to arrive. Wind was bitterly cold but hat, buff and windjacket did the job. I am someone for whom overheating is usually a bigger issue than getting cold so colder conditions suit me. Glad I'm not running tomorrow though as I think conditions will be much worse. Saturday will be interesting for the16 miler I have planned. Hope everyone else's training isn't too badly affected.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Got out for 10 tonight as the pavements had cleared a little. The wind was bitter though and half of my loop is easterly so Emma forced me to almost grind to a stop. 

Not sure about the weekends training yet but I think mileage will be compromised. 

I have one of those gyms near me that you can join for £12.99 a month and cancel anytime, absolute last resort. 
  • Options
    Cal...  Chester is a really nice race. I did it as my second marathon, in 2013, and went back again this year. More relaxed than Manchester - obviously some more quieter stretches - but I'm very happy with that.  Very well organised. Undulates a bit and that will deffo cost a few minutes.  I reckon a 3hr runner would lose 2-3 minutes...  a runner  >4hr would lose 6-10 minutes compared to Manchester based on the terrain.   I've no statistical evidence for that... it's just my impression.  Would definitely recommend to most...  my only (small) personal gripe was that they also run a "metric marathon" (26.2km) on the same day, and the courses merge at about 16 or 18 miles in.  Without going into detail, there were aspects of that that I didn't really like, but I know others saw positives.  I only mention it for completeness.
  • Options

well done for those that can battle against the snow out there is possible, waiting now dreading the next batch that will come down anytime now!

7 miles today in park/ river path/ gravel and was fine underfoot, the roads seemed clear 25 miles for the week so far which feels pretty heavy with a possible half on Sunday.

The Big half and Cambridge half seem to be the only road races that are still on?!?  Will prob wait till Saturday night, possibly even Sunday morning before deciding if to run.  Its a battle heart vs head.  Head is saying slow 20 will be good for your, heart is saying I want to race.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw Bath was cancelled. I think my club's Thames Riverside 20 is going ahead - it's on towpath. Really glad I'm not marshalling this year, that'd be cold.
    I've not run since Monday. Leg needed a rest anyway, but in London at least the pavements are slippy as hell. My local parkrun's cancelled as are many that include paths.
    Tomorrow will end up a balmy 5 degrees so hopefully that's the end of the blasted snow. I hope!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I got the Big Half done in just under 2 hours, which is my first sub-2 for a year (and as a 50 year old). I accidentally paused my watch at one point and the big tunnel and Canary Wharf screwed with it anyway, so I recorded a faster time than I actually ran, but since my goal was sub-2 I'm happy.
    It was a good race - I even saw Mo briefly as he zoomed past in the opposite direction. I didn't much like all the cobbles around the wharf areas though (I guess the London marathoners have to run on these too, since the Big Half covers the first half of the course but in the reverse direction).
    Organisation was faultless (but they could have done with more food in the goody bag - there was one Kind bar and some drinks and I was starving!)
    No problems from the lower legs, just the usual grumpy hamstring, and my new shoes are quite hard on the balls of my feet.
    Only real bummer is I've come home to no water due to a burst main down the road, so no bath and I had to rush out again to buy water to drink. Gah!
  • Options
    well done cal, to get back under the 2hr is a great achievement.  How was the race? recommend it if they run it again?

Great run for me at Cambridge Half, didnt know where my fitness was but my bulked up training paid dividends! Was hoping for 1.38.54 (which was my 2nd fastest time) Kept a steady pace slowest mile 7.32 fastest mile 7.20, took me a while to feel comfortable in the race.  After 3 miles I thought how am I going to do another 10 miles at this pace, the miles ticked off nicely and a few secs under target of 7.30 miles.... Felt strong at the finish which I can only take positives with just 5 weeks till manchester!

Hope everyone else managed to get some kinda training in around the snow! 2-3 weeks then taper time!!! 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Robert, that's a cracking time.
    I definitely recommend The Big Half - great atmosphere and well organised. I'm sure they will run it again, I'd say it was a big success.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi guys, great to read some race results. I've not raced in a looooooong time. 

Robert - interesting info re Chester. I was due to run it a couple of years ago but DNS because of injury. It is on my radar this autumn if the marathon bug continues post Manchester. Excellent running at Cambridge - sounds like a nicely controlled effort. 

Cal - The rest last week paid dividends then with an excellent performance at the Big Half. To go under 2 hours again after a while must give you so much confidence. Not sure I remember the cobbles the one and only time I ran London - I think they might put some kind of mat over them?  

Today's 20 was on my scenic hilly route out to Saddleworth. Still lots of pesky white stuff up there as the ploughs had cleared the roads by shoving it all onto the paths so run mostly on roads dodging cars. Felt pretty tired by the end and had to have a lie down under the duvet as body would not warm up. Feel much better now. 

46 snow affected miles this week which I have to be happy with. 4x20 milers in the bag now with another couple to go. Wilmslow will now be used to set my target for Manchester I think. 

Eaten everything in sight today.... Jaffa cakes were demolished. Nom nom nom. 
  • Options
    Do like a Jaffa cake or 12 
  • Options
    Cal likewise I'd recommend cambridge! better weather may have helped with the crowds but where awesome in the city!

Both have nice bling too.
  • Options
    Nice halves Cal - sounds like a really good even - and Robert, looking on good form!... and that's a lot of twenties stjason.

Managed to get 10K in on Friday night through deep snow (and snow in the face)... then 16 this morning through some deepish snow and some slush - enough to just get past the 40 mile mark for the week, so keeping up some (for me) good consistency.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Robert, if my godparents are still alive next year I could do that - they don't live too far away. However they are getting on and are not in the best of health.
    Managed a 4 mile recovery this morning. Quite enjoyed being out. I still have no water, though!
  • Options
    Well done Rob and Cal on your races. Glad there were some events that went ahead! Everything around here (Bath Half, all Parkruns, Cross Country) got called off. I'd imagine, in the end, that most Sunday events could actually have gone ahead without too much worry but I can see why the calls were made as they were, to give people notice. Friday was so bad where I live that I thought we were going to be buried under snow for the foreseeable future but by Saturday luchtime, nearly all roads were pretty much clear.

Bit of a 'meh' week for me running wise. Was a recovery week but didn't feel overly easy. Tuesday and Thursday I stayed on the trails to avoid the ice. Always much safer off road when there's any ice around I think. I enjoyed both of these runs but think I may not have taken them quite easy enough. I know I definitely didn't on Tuesday as I was out with the fast group from my club and my headtorch died early on so I had no option but to try and keep up so I could see where I was going. Saturday's recovery on the road I did a bit too fast as well and then Sunday's 16 felt like a chore. Still, got everything done. This week doesn't look too taxing although mileage is back up again. It's a bit tougher first part of the week then eases off before my 20 mile race on Sunday.

I am unsure of how to approach the race actually so wonder if any more experienced road marathoners here might be able to help. I plan to do a very easy 2 mile warm up, just to increase the overall mileage and then I want to do the last 10 miles at marathon pace. It's the 10 miles in between I am unsure of. Should I do them at normal long run pace, which is MP + about 30-40 secs, or would I be better taking it easier than that and aiming for overall pace for the whole 20 to average out at normal long run pace, i.e. first 10 at MP + about 1 min? Or somewhere in between? Any thoughts most welcome.
  • Options
    RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Wow seems like everyone's training is going really well and Manchester will soon be upon us, due to rubbish weather I lost a week of running but went out for a 13 miler yesterday and felt really good, even though it was raining the entire time! Loving the good weather again and going to gets lots of training in this week, have got the Colchester half few weeks before Manchester and reading the previous comments on here I'm just going to take it easy (if this is possible!) as I don't want to run the risk of injury.

As this will be my first marathon can I ask suggestions for tapering down (??) Am I right in thinking that it's best not to train two weeks before a marathon? Or is this just long runs?
  • Options
    RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Also can I ask if anyone will be wearing a running belt of some sort, or even a light weight mini rucksack? On my long runs I have a light weight rucksack, which is no problem at all, but I'm curious to see what the majority of people run with. I just don't want to turn up and the be the odd one out!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I wear a belt for my gels, Rob.
    Tapering is just a matter of reducing mileage, not putting your feet up. (Although I did have a 5 day trip to Dubai with no running during my taper last year!). So obviously you don't want to be doing a 20 miler the week before your marathon, but you also don't want to be relaxing so much that you get sluggish and stiff.
  • Options

Cal well done on the recovery effort, how was the grumbling hamstrings and the legs overall? still got your massage planned? FYI Cambridge goes on sale in October for non CB residents (you may be able to use your god parents address if still going strong?. 

Rob, the snow could be a welcome enforced cutback week for you, sounds like you're doing great and wish I had the bank of training you have had for my 1st marathon.  As for the taper its a magical time, your legs should be heavy at the start of it, in my experience

• last long run 3 weeks out (weekend 17/18th)
    • reduce mileage by 25-35% each week so 2 weeks out long run between 13-16 miles and the week before 8-12 miles.  
    • still put the sessions in during the week but don't overdo it.
    • final week just a few short runs, maybe putting a few intervals of MP in the run.  Do not worry and start panicking if MP sections feel crap, it will do but come race day you'll be fired up!

As for gels, I will carry 2 in a back pocket of shorts and have one or two in hand, will see my mrs at mile 11 to pick up 2 more.  I'd suggest a belt but doing a couple of runs with it esp a long run as you don't want any rubbing!!!.

Cotswold, will have a think of my opinions whilst I'm out for my recovery run in a tic, so you have another outlook for Manchester.

• Options
    After 3 sessions on the treadmill I was glad to get out on the roads yesterday and put in another steady 20 miler. It didn't feel great, no problems as such I just lacked rhythm and never felt like was moving properly.

I won't be wearing a belt or rucksack, I can stuff enough gels into my pockets to keep me going, that's been one of the things I've been testing out on my long runs.

Well done to all those who raced at the weekend.

Nice to see the thread getting busier as the big day approaches, I'm going to turn off the notifications because I've had enough of deleting them, I'll just keep checking in and see how everyone is doing.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Legs were OK, Robert - my hammy only tends to growl when I do too much stretching or when I'm pushing it (which I was yesterday). It was relatively quiet this morning.
    Did some yoga at lunchtime and took a shower there so I'm clean again. And I now have a little trickle of water - not enough for bathing but I can at least rinse plates and fill the loo.
  • Options
    cal glad you can flush the loo! I only trally use my gym membership for a few dreadmill sessions, somewhere to change and shower before/ after work after a run.

4 miles for my this lunchtime, felt okay except quads and calfs a bit tight but nothing compared to it has been in the past.  Probably rest day tomorrow.

Cotswold, what I like about your plan is having the strong finish, after a steady slow 20 miler it will give you a good feeling especially passing people on the final 10k. 
    Another option is to use it as a 20/22 mile training run with 4-6 mile easy run at the end with MP miles.  My logic behind it its another 20 mile training run, and less risk of strain/ injury in the final miles and it needed you can step off completely and walk.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Spoke too soon - water's off again. What the hell.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Cotswold - I'm convinced I have compromised goal race performance in 20 mile races. For example I should have been closer to 2:50 on a couple of occasions but ran 20 mile races too hard quite close to race day and ended up just sub3.

For me it has always been about building confidence. I'm not running a 20 mile race this campaign for this very reason. I would push too hard. So, if I were to run one I would probably run it progressively in 5 mile chunks. Maybe start easy MP+90 secs, next five in MP+60 secs, next five in MP+30 secs and then final five on tired legs at MP. This way you get decent training benefit to the leg muscles by better replicating the pace you want to do the 26.2 in but have not stressed the body too much with an out and out effort. 

RL - 20 milers can feel like that even when it's going well. I put mine off yesterday until about 10:30am. Watched some indoor athletics to get me out the door. Run was ok like yours but on a couple of occasions was asking myself what I was doing.

RF - the half a few weeks before can be used as an indicator of potential for the big race. I didn't have a clue in my first marathon and crashed badly. Having a strategy can avoid this. I run with gels in hand. Good mental stimulus for me as the hands get lighter so does the miles to go.

Good to read the weekend racers have recovered well. I opted for a rest day today but need to bank a big week mileage wise and quality wise also. Need confidence for Wilmslow half in two weeks (haven't been near half marathon pace, whatever that is) for a few weeks. Me thinks a ballsy 10 miler may be in order! Stick or twist time.