Options

Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, I've been following this thread since the new year. Just entered the race, what will be my first full marathon if I can get around. I started the race in 2016 but had an accident at mile 8 involving a traffic cone, the road and my face. Ran Anglesey Half in 2.09 last Sunday, longest run this year was 15 miles the previous week. Just looking to get around the course in one piece this time around (5 hrs ish). Looking to get my LSR to 18 over the next 2/3 weeks. Nervous as hell due to my experience in 2016 but i'll give it my best shot.
  • Options
    Welcome Colin - Shame about 2016 but glad to hear you are back at it. Best of luck for the remaining training and for the race itself. 

I needed to get some speed work done so went for a 10 miler this afternoon with the plan being to stick 8 miles in the middle at some kind of pace that felt hard (for me). Scores on the doors were 8 miles @ 6:47/mile. Have to confess I fudged it up a bit by setting off too fast - rallied and finished strong so not too annoyed.

Plan to add another couple of miles on next week building up for Wilmslow on Sunday week. If I run that at 3 hour pace then I should be able to get 15 mile tempo in during one of my last 20's which could bring me close come race day. 

• Options
    Good luck this time round Colin! And more good training stjason.  

I'm slightly annoyed with myself.  It's extremely rare for me to turn down a run but I feel a bit knacked...  and I've been completely engrossed in following a footy match on the internet tonight. Vital win...  then I put on my running kit... then took it off again.  Hardly ever done that before... and often go out at this time of night. But not tonight.  I will HAVE to get a double figure run in tomorrow evening, or I really will be annoyed.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yikes Colin - that was the first year I ran and I remember people falling over those cones! I guess at least you escaped baggage-geddon, though!
    NE - that's why I try to go out early morning. Once I settle in for the evening it's almost impossible to get me to go out again.
    I had a rest yesterday too. Wasn't planning on it but I felt tired when I woke up and my legs were still sore. Just did a yoga class.
    Felt good today, though. It was raining but I had to fit the run in before my massage so I didn't allow myself to make any excuses. Rather enjoyed it in the end. I wasn't planning on doing a MP tempo but it turned into one after I got into a race with an elderly Chinese man I passed in the second mile and then kept the pace after we went our separate ways. So, 8 miles with 7 at around MP, and I felt strong which is good.
  • Options
    Cal, seems you recovered well from the half.

Northender, don't beat yourself up for missing a run, best to rest.  hope you feeling better and out today.

SJ well done on the 10, going out too fast but managing to hold on can only be a positive thing surely?  As for half pace, i had no idea what mine was when i did mine this weekend, just picked a number out the blue and gave it a bash (and it worked)

colin, you cant be nervous due to the cones in 2016, well done on the recent half.

rest day yesterday, more forced than choice.  legs were still achy from sundays half, even todays 8 miles felt crap, just need to shake it out the legs with 16 miles on fri and 20/22 miles on sunday.  roll on tuesday for a massage 

• Options
    Welcome Colin. Hope you have a better race this time round.

Jason, thanks for your advice. For my one and only previous road marathon I also overdid a 20 miler in the build up so I know it's a danger and a trap I'm very susceptible to falling into. I am also now of the view that a 20 mile race is only really necessary if you're a complete newcomer to marathon distance, looking to build confidence. In hindsight, I would have been better off racing a hard half marathon 5 weeks out. However, in further hindsight, that half marathon would have been Bath, which obviously didn't happen!

I gave this some thought whilst out doing 11 easy miles yesterday and I like your suggestion of breaking into 5 mile chunks, rather than 2 x 10, but I don't think I want to start as slow as MP + 90s so I think I'll start off with 5 at MP+1 and then knock off 20 secs for each 5 so I finish with 5 at MP. All of this is with the caveat that my wife has been in bed ill for a few days shivering, with a very sore throat and headache and I am now starting to feel a tiny bit of soreness in my throat. Might be being paranoid but if I get same as she's had, I won't be doing 20 at any pace.

Nice and easy for me now until Sunday. Rest day today, recovery with a few strides tomorrow and recovery Saturday.
  • Options
    Well it seems that I have overdone things recently and I've got a sore throat, headache and shivers, it sounds similar to Mrs Cotswold although I have not taken to my bed (yet).

At the same time my previously rock-solid left leg has developed some sort of hip/groin issue which leaves me having trouble walking when I get up in the morning so it's back to the physio at the earliest opportunity.

This is all getting me down a bit but at least I've got some time to recover before race day even if my preparations are not going to plan.

I hope everyone else is doing better than me.
  • Options
    Is that winter flu making a bit of a comeback... a few people are talking about it again.  Good luck.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I hope those on the sick bench manage to recover quickly! I have to say I get far fewer illnesses now I'm not teaching (I taught primary PE for 5 years). Children have a way of spreading germs everywhere.
    Rest day yesterday due to the boilerman coming (though I did Hot Inferno Pilates in the afternoon, which featured a lot of core work as well as burpees and mountain climbers). But I did 6 miles today. It was meant to be an easy run but I was concentrating on my form and it turned out to be rather quicker than intended. Cadence stayed the same but my stride was a bit longer.
  • Options
    Well, I wasn't just being paranoid, I am now ill. Pretty sure it's pharyngitis. Actually don't feel as bad now as I did last night but I doubt very much I'll be doing this 20 unless I wake up tomorrow morning as fresh as a daisy. So frustrating to miss training at this crucial stage but it is what it is. I won't be rushing back.

Cal, I know exactly what you mean. With one boy at school and one at nursery, our house is a germ breeding ground.
  • Options
    Sorry to read some have illness woes to contend with. I hope you feel better soon and are back out there. 

18 here today instead of the planned 20. Hamstring tightened towards the end of the session and had slowed down significantly due to running with some friends possibly too quickly oops! 

Ankle has now stiffened too so will check how both issues settle over night.

Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    Hope those suffering from the change in weather aren’t under the weather for too long, those nursing niggles take it easy!

a brilliant run Friday 16 miles with 4x 2 miles at sub marathon pace (8.20) average pace overall 8.30! 

Was on the piss up in the evening and stayed over, couldn’t resist a little jog round the city, hungover and tired legs but got a slow 4 miles in.

Long run planned tomorrow somewhere between 18-22 miles depends how the legs are feeling, bit of stiffness in the calf’s but got massage booked for Tuesday.

4 weeks to go, taper is in sight  
  • Options
    Closer to taper, 20 dull boring miles, evenly paced average 8.52.... hope all your long runs are going to plan now have to cook dinner for Mum and sister (who is a new mummy) 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, saintjason - sounds like the beginnings of a taper tantrum! I hope it's nothing more than that.
    Robert, well done on the 20, and congratulations on becoming an uncle!

As for me, I touristed Finsbury Park parkrun yesterday and wore the wrong shoes as I didn't realise it was hilly. (I have yet to figure out how to run downhill in the Zoom Flys as they kind of throw you forward, which is not what you want on a downhill if you're dyspraxic. Safe to say these will not be the shoes I wear for Liverpool). I had to check my speed on the downhills as a result, so I only managed 27:20 and age group 4th. It was a good workout though.

I was wondering if I should do the hilly Brockwell route for my 20 today after a hilly parkrun, but I did it anyway (in my Frees) and it went pretty well. Averaged 10:37 with a neg split. Slowest mile was mile 5 (11:00 dead) which is an unrelenting slog up a big hill on the way to the park, and fastest was 16, (10:15) where I was coming down the same hill on the way home. Mile 20 was only 2 seconds slower than that, and probably would have been quicker if I hadn't dropped my water bottle, but never mind.

The good thing was that, while I had a few aches and grumbles and I definitely felt tired towards the end, I wasn't at my limit. I remember the 20 I did before Manchester 2016 where I hated every moment of it and swore and cursed my way through the last couple of miles. This was nothing like that.

Oh and, luxury, I was able to have a nice Epsom Salts bath after, as my water is back to normal. Yay!
  • Options
    Managed 16 flat ones yesterday, 16 was minimum target but settled at that as I was slowing down in the last couple of miles. Aimed to keep the mile average below 11.00 and run came in at 10.53 average pace. Felt like spring had arrived and I felt overdressed in tights and jacket but it looks like it's getting colder later in the week. Will try and push closer to 18 this Sunday. Disappointed that the organisers have move from SIS gels to some unknown brand, don't fancy trying them on the day so will have to carry a few SIS gels with me. Thank the heavens for Ron Hill trail shorts.
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Looks like everyone's training continues more or less according to plan and gearing up well for the big day.

Not so for me, unfortunately. Last you heard, I had an achilles issue which surfaced at the end of a long run.  I've been missing from this forum for the last 2 weeks now, first resting for a week (but with no time to see a physio) and then I was struck down with the worst case of flu in my adult life!

Well, I went out on Saturday for an easy 6 miles, which went fine. Yesterday, traditionally long run day, I only planned for 10, which I duly  went ahead with.  In the final mile I did notice some tightening of the right calf, maybe some discomfort in the achilles area. I stopped, walked for a few minutes before continuing and completing uneventfully. Might have been something or might not. When you're trying to listen so intensely to your body, any little ache will become a 'OMG, injury!'  At any rate, after 2 weeks off, that 10 mile easy run felt like 20! Both during and after, muscular fatigue was extraordinarily high.

Physio appointment this evening. Not sure to what extent I believe their abilities to heal injuries, (I cannot directly ascribe successful return to full functional health from any previous injury to any physio or any specific program of stretching, strengthening, orthotics, etc.)  I do, however, trust them to diagnose the problem and point out the right direction. We shall see... 

Time's fast running out! The final training week! Keep at it, all! 
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Cal, I remember booking Elle onto a womens running race at finsbury park, on their page they had described it as flat.  By the 2nd lap Elle didn't look impressed!  Well done on the 20, always good to have a bit left in the tank after the 20miles.

Colin, clothing mistakes isn't a bad thing as long as you learn come race day, loads of hints and tips the one I believe is best is start in the clothes you want to finish. You don't want to be running after 5 miles too warm and not wanting to throw your jacket away and boiling in it instead!  As for the gels, it's an odd one, I cant find anywhere you can buy these gels online, defeats any guide of not trying something new on race day.  Always best to carry your own if you can

Sol sorry to hear your troubles, done the right thing resting, hope the physio can see what the problem is and advise on what you can do.  Wouldn't read into yesterdays run as could be down to illness as it may not have fully left the body. Sol also something to consider if you are able to run, the fact you haven't trained much over the last couple of weeks means you may not need the 3 weeks to taper as your legs may not be as tired as they would have been if you had a full bank of training giving you another week to train.

Easy few days just a bit of core gym work today, massage tomorrow and a light jog on Wednesday, legs need a few days to recover, couple of sessions thurs/ fri before final 20 miles on Sunday.

• Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    shukashuka ✭✭
    Quick question re: training programmes. I've been following Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program) pretty closely (some of the 5 mile runs I've been doing 6-7, but otherwise pretty much stuck with it), but anyway, did week 15 this week which means I'm a week ahead of schedule. If I treat this week as the extra week, am I alright doing a long run in around the 16-17 mile range then starting to taper as the plan suggests from the following week?
  • Options

Shuka, sounds like a logical explanation to me, have all the benefits of the long run without the physical strain of the last few miles.  I have felt I have peaked before 4 weeks out and cut the last long run down to 18 rather than the 20 planned.

• Options
    shukashuka ✭✭
    Thanks Robert, that's what I was thinking, the second 20 miler definitely felt much tougher than the first and I ran them at pretty much an identical pace, so might be an indicator that I need to cut the miles back a bit, but happy to be feeling mostly niggle free at this point and now just really looking forward to the day.
  • Options
    I'd agree too, shuka.  Personally, I'd do 18 but I see that as personal choice. 

One factor to take into consideration, I don't think you should be surprised or worried that the second twenty miler was tougher.  Until you taper, you're accumulating fatigue, and it was your second long run in 14 days (new to that distance too, I think??).  So I agree you should step back from that... maybe 17... which should be a good balance between keeping up a good long run, but not doing too many twenty - milers too close together.

Sounds like you've done great.

• Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Shuka, I'd agree too, with the assessments of Robert and Northender. Go for a distance between 15-18 miles. The important thing is to listen carefully to your body.  If you get to 13 miles and you're exhausted and hobbling along, just stop there. If you are feeling strong and fresh, just keep going.  Let your body decide the distance.

I should have mentioned that although during the run on Sunday I only felt minor twinges towards the end, it was afterwards whilst stretching and the following day that I felt it more strongly. Hence the worry. 

The physio confirmed that this is a light achilles tendinitis, but where the achilles attaches to the calf muscle (soleus).  Which is a good location to have tendinitis (if you're looking for a silver lining), as muscles receive much higher blood flow than tendons. The cause? Looking back over my training, he can't point to anything wrong. He puts it down to a previous injury to this soleus muscle 2 years ago!

He massaged the area, spent several minutes with the ultrasound machine and left me with the expected eccentric heel drops and calf stretches. 

He strongly feels that I should run, which will assist recovery more than anything else. However, until next week's appointment, I should only run easy, avoid hills and only run upto the point of pain. Which means relatively short distances, up to about 8 or 9 miles. 

He does agree with you Robert, that I can get away with a 2 week taper (perhaps even less), giving me two more weeks to try and claw back some fitness. 

Has anyone trained for a marathon on 8 miles a day with no long run!?? 
  • Options
    Good luck Sol.  I've done that in the past...  missed a bit of training quite late in the programme (which allows the body to do a mini taper...  then trained a bit more before a reduced "official" taper.  Worked ok for me.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's positive news, Sol. Yeah, sometimes tendons are just whiny little bitches.
    Speaking of which, I've had to take two rest days rather than one as my right calf got tight and my hip wasn't right. Actually still isn't. I've found a sore spot that is more in the groin (actually realised it was more groin than hip when it ouched during yoga yesterday).
    I did 4 miles today and concentrated a lot on form. It was neither great nor awful. My calf got a bit tight during the fourth mile so I decided against trying to extend it beyond.
    I was rather cursing the timing of the Prague/Vienna trip my friend booked me on to (I'm flying tomorrow) but actually I think the break is pretty opportune given my body's general grumpiness.
    It's worth noting that last year I did my 20 four weeks out, then buggered off to Dubai for five days to ride rollercoasters. (But it was my second 20...I'd managed not to get injured that cycle).
  • Options
    shukashuka ✭✭
    Thanks guys, yeah I'll play it by ear. I feel like my legs will be able to handle it on the day so don't want to risk overdoing it at this point! Definitely looking forward to being able to start my taper next week!
  • Options
    Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    So much for the 'positive news.' I went out for a run last night executed as intended, short (7 miles) and easy. 4 miles in, I felt a tightening of the calf; within half a mile, it had worsened, albeit still runable, but I decided not to risk anything and stopped. During the long (1.8mi) walk home in the 2°c cold, I could feel it more acutely still.

I have yet to discuss this development with the physio, but I'm beginning to feel that my marathon aspirations for this year are unattainable and  unsalvageable. I might just have to bow out of this race. Looking forward to 2019!

Best of luck to all the rest of you! 
  • Options
    Hi Sol, sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you at the moment.

Some positive news from my side, I'm recovering from the cold I picked up last week and my hip "injury" wasn't anything too serious according to the physio. I'm planning a short run tonight to see how things feel with a view to getting back up to full speed by the weekend, I'll keep you all posted.
  • Options
    Has anyone had their number through yet from the organisers, I have checked and I definitely entered but received nothing other than a couple of emails. Are we all in the same boat?
  • Options
    RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing, no I haven’t had my number through as of yet, should be coming very soon.