Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    AWC - yes, 27th Sept. If they cancel it can roll to 6th Dec. Its not giving me the eye of the tiger yet, but im in sub3 shape and would like to tick one off this year if possible. Hopefully it'll attract quite a few sub3 folks in the absence of alternatives.

Hamo - sadly the rumours were true. I feel for you as you need a quality race after all your training. Goodwood is similar set up to the event you mention.......there was talk of a marathon at wrexham for sub 2.40 folks on a closed cct to give fast folks a quality race, but they said its only if vlm was off. So it depends if wrexham see vlm as on or off after ydays announcement. Might be worth some investigation?

6m easy today. Im off to FoD in a mo (ill give SQ a wave, jools is away).
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hopefully see you on the 27th TR
  • Options
    TR...Enjoy the FoD, looks a lovely place. Cheers for that info, I've just had a look at Wrexham and entered, entries opened at Midday so timing was almost meant to be :lol:  Have moved my flights from London to Liverpool free of charge, and the hotels in Wrexham are cheaper, plus free cancellation on everything, so i'm not out anything by giving it a try, so its all worked out class, thanks to you. Be interesting and a bit of pressure running in a sub 2.40 cut off marathon all the same, fingers crossed it goes ahead.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I certainly hope so AWC, as that means it'll be on lik donkey kong.

Great news Hamo, im pleased its still on. I saw Matt Rees referencing it too, hopefully there'll be a quality field for you.
  • Options
    Steph's made the cut for the London race so the Chasers will have someone to cheer on. Just on telly rather than on the course, though. It'll be a good event to watch, regardless.

hamo, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Galway. There's a small company putting on a marathon around Dorney Lake in October - almost tempting, but I don't much like laps. I've the Richmond 10K in four weeks so I'm quite tempted to focus on speed for a bit (once it stops being so bloody hot). Of course, there are my niggles to think about too.
    Decent MLR pace for the weather.

AWC, that's my thought too. I'd fall into the slower runner category and a 16 miler takes me close to three hours at easy pace - I need to be able to run for an hour longer than that to finish a marathon at race pace, so a slow 16 miler is not going to prepare me for time on feet, let alone time on feet at pace.
    By the way, not jealous at all, you lucky bugger.

TR - Good(wood) luck!

Very much not enjoying the weather so far. Yesterday morning when I got up my flat was 24 degrees and built up to 28.4 by bedtime. It only lost a degree overnight with the window wide open so today's starting point is 27.4 so it'll likely be over 30 tonight, and will stay that way for the next week. Misery.

I didn't run yesterday - I did go out for an early walk and it was actually quite fresh, so it would have been nice to run, but my body needed rest.
    Today's conditions were much less satisfactory - nearly 23 degrees at 6am and very humid. I kept to recovery pace and legs actually didn't feel terrible (although the achilles and high hammy are noticeable) so I did some strides in the last mile and they felt OK.
    Tomorrow looks to be the same sort of temperature/humidity so I may not do a long run - I will see how awful I feel after sleeping in 30 degrees.
  • Options
    Fantastic news you have a pace at Wrexham, hamo. They’ll be a real champs+ style smash up. Logistics seem to work nicely as well. 

Cal I saw the Dorney one (in the day London is/was). Must admit I’m tempted. Will wait to see what the route is after it is measured in Monday. Anyone experience of racing with the ‘active training’ organiser that puts it on. 

Have a good time in the FoD, TR. Where you going?

Standard buggy fare here, albeit a significant cutback week. ‘Racing’ tomorrow. Looking forward to it, whilst keeping in mind it will be more of a challenge style run than a TT smash up. Good to represent the club nonetheless. 
  • Options
    I think it'll be eight laps, SQ. (I'm actually sort of thinking about it too).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cal - good for steph. I wonder how 'slow' the elites mens race goes down to.

SQ - hope tomorrow goes well and the thread homework helps. Im by the river severn (Newnham), been on wye way from eagles nest to chepstow and back today, to try to keep in the shade........Dorney can get windy (as can Goodwood though).

Ran 8m this morning.
  • Options
    SQ - ATW are based near here and have been around quite a few years.  I’ve raced quite a few of their events with no issues.  I think they do registrations, timings or even the whole event.  I’ve entered a 10k they are doing in 2 weeks time.

Cal - hope you can grab some respite from the heat.  They have asked runners not to touch the feet of King Leonadis which seems sensible enough.

Hope those on hols have a good break.  Best of luck tomorrow SQ.

I lost about 10lbs in yesterday’s mid day 15m.  I was going to post before and after feet on scales photos on Strava but noticed the scales were quite reflective which revealed a rather unpleasant silhouette .
  • Options
    Macca - :D But seriously, 10lbs is a lot! I might lose a pound or two on a long run. I get a nice salty face after, though.

A guy from my club is currently battling through NDW 100 - don't envy him that. I bet the runners are glad the sun's going down (not that it's going to cool down much tonight, but still).
  • Options
    SQ. - I doubt I’ll catch you tomorrow as plan a long run that probably won’t coincide with your run. But just in case, what running top will you be wearing?

• Options
    NE - a horrifically garish purple and bright yellow Almost Athlete top With Josh emblazoned on the front 🤦‍♂️. Have a good run and I’ll keep my eyes peeled for you. About to watch your video again!
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hamo - pleased that you have a competitive marathon to look forward to. Should lead to a performance that rewards your training. 

TR - sounds like a good backup plan. Enjoy the change of scenery, am sure there’s some great runs there. 

SQ - good luck, must be exciting to be back racing. 

Macca -  :D but not an image I needed to be thinking about!

Steve - keen to hear how you get on with Hanson’s. Although the LRs are shorter aren’t they done at MP? Or maybe one of the other runs in the week is at MP so you get plenty of miles at that pace compared to P&D

Cal - good to read your run descriptions again. 

NE - good to see you dip back in. Where’s the Robin Hood ultra? I grew up in Robin Hood country and remember visiting Sherwood Forest frequently. 

AWC - great MP running. 

First normal week of training for a while, with 6 days of mostly easy outdoor runs, one with strides and a TM workout of 10x2 mins. Enjoyed today’s 20 mile LR, first in a long time and legs definitely feeling it. Ran up along the coast and past many of the northern beaches. Stunning cold morning and luckily had my phone to take an early morning on the run photo of a 3 mile stretch of sand. Fantastic view on a new route. Starting to feel fit again, best I’ve felt in a couple of months. 

• Options
    John that looks idyllic!

Glad to say Sam, the guy from mine and Joe's club, came third in the NDW100. That must have been absolutely brutal. The long time leader dropped out not too far from the end - I guess it must have been an injury or heat stroke as you wouldn't relinquish a lead for something minor, I'd have though.
    Joe also managed to find a race - he and Katie did the Runthrough Tatton Park 10K in Manchester. Joe came 15th in 35:51and Katie was 2nd lady in 39:22.
    As the results coordinator for the club, it'll be nice to have some actual race results to relay this week rather than just the Virtual parkrun League I set up.

As for me, I managed 16 miles today. Didn't feel too hot when I went out at 5:30am - muggy though.

I decided to do a bit of the Wandle Trail again, though I skipped the bottom bit and started at Collier's Wood. It almost ended in disaster when I rolled my ankle just before Morden Hall Park (mile 3) - I had to stop for a few seconds and walk a little. The actual ankle roll wasn't too bad (that's the ankle I've sprained multiple times - the ligaments are loose enough now it's pretty hard to do any real damage) but I also managed to tweak my bad groin a bit at the same time. Once I got running again the ankle was OK - a little sore on top of the foot but that passed. The groin twinge settled after about another mile but I'll be keeping my eye on both for the rest of the day.

Today I decided to explore as far as Hackbridge - the park there is actually really nice. Then I popped into Wilderness Island (a little nature reserve off the Wandle which only has one entrance so there's no way through, just in and around and back the way you came) on the way back as I was curious. It's mostly trees and narrow trails and I had to slow right down as I didn't want to roll my damn ankle again on the tree roots. 

Came back via Mitcham Common. That common is so confusing due to the fact it's in sections due to the roads that go through it, and one section looks much like another. Went the wrong way again but at least I knew where I was from the last time I went the wrong way (twat). Had to take it easy through the common, too, as it's bloody lumpy and quite hard to run on in places. Pace picked up once I got back on pavements again but the last few miles felt pretty laboured. It was getting warmer so I was thankful there was actually a breeze as I was going up Streatham Hill.

Anyway, that brings me to 52 miles for the week, which is my first 50+ since the groin injury in June.

Tomorrow will be a rest - I've booked the gym for 9:30 and will probably do a walk at some point, but no more than three miles.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Macca - you could have blamed the photo on the fluid loss,  10 lbs is over 4l, thats a lot. I felt pretty grim last sunday after doing my mp run on a humid day saturday.

John - cracking view that, good news on the fitness lift.

Cal - good run and week that.

I saw folks with numbers on running through the high street at Tintern this morning (Rogue Run ?), was that your race SQ?

Did 10m early.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

John that looks amazing. Beats a treadmill, surely 😉 

That is a lot to lose, Macca. I equate it to around eight pints of beer? 

Great long run, and week, in the heat, Cal. 

TR - yes, organised by Rogue Runs. Felt so good to be racing. I am in Chichester next weekend. I know you usually run on Saturday morning, but would you fancy a 20M at 4pm Saturday or 6am Sunday? No idea I’d this is convenient or logistically possible for you, so no worries if not - route recommendations welcome! 

A race, an actual race! The Wyedean Relay was low key, yet friendly and safe. Each leg was point to point and I was fortunate to be on the longest: 10k with 1400ft climbing (just to further mess with units) and some technical trails. 
    I’d been told recceing was essential, but didn’t manage to. Fortunately, Jools gave me a GPX to follow and, incredibly, NE ran the course (as a local), filmed the key gates, junctions, random trees to turn right at etc, added commentary and stuck it on YouTube. Amazing. Thank you both. 
    After a socially distanced briefing we walked to the start point in approx pace order. Felt a bit like primary school, all keeping in single file. I was third, based on 5k time. Ahead of me was a member of a South Wales fell running club and Matt Rees, of London Marathon notoriety a couple of years ago (helping someone in need to the finish line).
    We were set off with 10s gaps and were straight into a 700ft climb in the first mile (11:40 😆). I was overtaken twice, but got one back before the top. 
    Plenty of stunning views - the Wye Valley near Monmouth really is beautiful. Loads of gates, roots and twists and turns. Felt like quite a Fartlek-type effort. Some sub 6 pace on the downhills before another big climb (500ft) in the second half. 
    The final third was through Cadora Woods. Never been before, but will definitely go again. It felt like the best of forest single track mountain biking. Got into a real battle, albeit friendly, with one of those who overtook me, and took some risks in the final descent. No way I could have gone that fast alone. Although I will take Strava’s pace of the last 0.3M at 3:01 with a pinch of salt. So, just nipped this chap to claim third. Although of course I had forgotten he set of 20 or 30s behind me. Nonetheless, good to be greeted by club mates at the end. Something like 49:30. I imagine this is my slowest ever 10k, but by far the hilliest. 
    As it was a point to point I elected to run back to my car at the start. If I’m going to use up big tokens by being out for five hours, I want to get a few miles out of the warm down. First half I followed the race route in reverse, enjoying the amazing woods again and seeing the other competitors. I then jumped onto a rover path for a flatter yet still scenic final few miles.  
    Now weighing up whether to enter a marathon at Dorney Lake on 4th October. £37 but unsure on refunds if cancelled. Logistics work quite well and would give a focus to a six week block. Wouldn’t expect a PB, but it would be good to log a sub 3 in 2020. Would be good to see you there, Cal. 
  • Options
    That sounds like a lot of fun, SQ - well done. The time is immaterial - hot weather, climbs and trail are all going to make a big difference. When I did my trail half (I say half, it was actually 13.6 miles) last year I thought I might pootle around at MP, which I figured was sensible but turned out to be wishful thinking. I ran that in a bit over two and a half hours (my HM PB at the time was 1:53:45). Wasn't even particularly hilly but the going underfoot was tricky at times and there were so many stiles to climb.
    I am thinking about Dorney - the issues are my injuries/niggles and the fact it's only 8 weeks and I've not been training with a marathon in mind. (Well, not keen on laps either, but I'd rather do a lapped marathon than no marathon. Anyway...)
  • Options
    10lb in 15 miles Macca. You must have looked like Ted Striker when he’s trying to land the plane in Airplane!

John - Robin Hood starts in a village called South Wheatley, and broadly 20m south-west then two 30 mil loops, taking in Retford area, Clumber Park, Major Oak, sort of area then back.  

Good to see some getting the chance to do a marathon - will be a unique feel to be in an elite-only marathon Hamo. 

Nice mileages Cal & TR. 

Nice race report SQ. Good result too even if a podium was taken away! Not an easy course to overtake on in a lot of places. 

After 12m on Saturday, I was out of the house at 6am Sunday. Planned a picturesque undulating 27 miles circuit to follow Offa’s Dyke, Three Castles Walk and Monnow Valley Walk but spent half my time staring at maps and and footpath markers wondering how footpaths can suddenly disappear etc. (why is our footpath system so crap in this country?!). Ended up getting home at 2:05pm with 31 miles on the watch.  Lovely run. Took in White Castle and Skenfrith Castle.  Nice temperatures. But did have to follow a B-road through the countryside for maybe 8 miles at one point, which was ok but would have preferred to be in the fields and woods. Nevertheless- lovely day out and prime objective achieved!  Knacked though!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SQ - glad you enjoyed Sunday, sounded good. Im at cricket with my eldest saturday, then he is staying over for a curry and a few beers, so that means i need to run early saturday, sorry. As far as routes, it drpends where you are starting from, but from the old A27 you can do Emsworth, chidham, pagham, bosham.....theres the centurion way (ld railway line), or the salterns (?) Way which is a mix of paths, roads etc to West Wittering. Google them and see what fits.

NE - sounds like great day Sunday, excellent rime on feet.

8m early for me today.
  • Options
    NE/Macca - my clubmate who came third in the NDW said he got through 25 litres of water. They only allow 12 per day in MdS!

NE, that's a bloody long run, good job.

TR, well done on getting 8 done.

Over 30 degrees in my room last night and it'll be the same today if not worse since it's only down to 28 now. I'm somehow managing to sleep a bit but I've had to be strict with myself about not taking an afternoon nap so I'm tired at bedtime.
    Got out for 6 this morning and the humidity was so bad I wasn't sure if I was doing a run or a swim. Groin gave me a good twinge during the first mile but I jabbed it with my finger and it stopped. Not sure if that actually released something or if it was psychological. Achilles wasn't great either - I don't think the ankle roll on Sunday helped much. But hey ho, the rest of the run was OK considering the conditions.
    Gym again later.
  • Options
    NE - superb long run.
    Macca - That's a lot of water loss in 15 miles!!
    SQ - Top racing and placing.
    Cal - Nice long run.
    John - Superb views. Yes, Hansons have a midweek MP run of upto 10 miles, but with no marathon on the horizon, I've cut those down to 6 miles max. Nice long run.

8 miles on Friday (instead of a rest day), 15 miles on Saturday then rest on Sunday for a 48 mile week. 10 miles today with 4*1.2km reps with 400m recoveries. Reps were 4:30/37/36/26, was 18c at 4:30am!! Super hot and humid, but got it done.
  • Options
    John - stunning photo and great long run.

NE - as said above great time on feet, I’ll have to dig that film out for a laugh, I can recall that scene.

SQ - great to read about a race, it must have been even better to partake (that said I’ve really enjoyed my virtual ones).  Sounds like a great route to run and a strong run especially with the back to car warm down.

Steve - nice reps in the heat/humidity.  It’ll be interesting to see how you get on with the mmmm bop plan, even if no marathon planned.

TR - well done on logging the miles, I think an easier week will do wonders, not that there was any sign you needed it.

Cal - I think that lad is running Spartathlon too.  With that level of water intake it’s a fine line between being hydrated and making yourself sick.  I noticed my HR was about 15bpm higher than expected during the heat.  Well done on the run/swim.

Logged some decent  miles here in the midday heat these last few days.  The local trails are surprisingly empty at midday in 30c + .  

• Options
    Cal...Class, it'll be awesome having a team mate to cheer on in London. Oh no, hope the groin and ankle are ok. Nice long run and exploring, the nature reserve sounds lovely. Big week too.

TR...I seen someone (can't mind his name at all) on twitter asking London Marathon to consider his time of 2.18 for entry, so the "slowest" mens time has to be faster than that. Nice running as usual, I'm sure the legs are feeling better for a few easier days? Hope you are having a nice break?

Macca...That would have been a Strava Faux pas alright :lol: Serious amount of lbs lost though, I love the measuring of it in beers :smiley: "mmm bop plan" properly made me lol there :lol: I'm not surprised the trails are empty in 30+ heat, fair play to you getting out there and roasting yourself.

John...Class photo, looks beautiful and as SQ says, bound to beat the treadmill. Good news that your feeling fitter again.

Joe...Excellent work by you, and more even better by Katie, congrats. Cheers for keeping us up to date Cal.

NE...Lovely long tun. 31 miles is a long way, no wonder you where knackered by the end of it. The fact that the 100 miler is 2 loops (give or take) will help with logistics of feed/aid carrying etc for you i'd imagine?

SQ...Mighty running, well done, bound to have been nice to get back to racing? That is a brutal introduction of a 1st mile, sounds like a lovely setting for a race though all the same. If it helps your decision with Dorney, my mindset is/would be, race when you can at the minute (and give it full beans every time, no tactical s**t :lol:) because you just don't know for certain when the next race will be with local lockdowns etc.. (you too Cal, get her booked :smile:)

Steve...Lovely reps, quick esp in that heat and humidity.

Saturday was a 10 mile GA in glorious weather, one of those runs when you just enjoy yourself. Sunday was my planned "long run" of 16 miles as it was a cut back week, but as a fella from the club came down to run with me again, we ended up running near 18 miles all at MP +10 pace give or take, with an average of 6.13 min miles over the distance (faster than i'd planned but was nice to spin the wheels with company), which finished my week on 88 miles.

Double 6's as recoveries yesterday started off my biggest week of the plan. Top tip though, running, even a recovery run, in the evening after spending all day stuffing your face with popcorn, birthday cake, 3 course dinners (cheers BoJo :lol: ) is not a nice experience :flushed::lol:

10 mile with 10x100 strides in the last mile this morning, 94% humidity apparently and felt it, like Cal i think i swam home :lol:
  • Options
    Steph's said she's not going to run the London race alas. Will still be a good race to watch, though.
    hamo - I'm missing my popcorn - I pop my own on the stove but the weather's made it too hot to cook (as it raises the temp in my flat even more). Can't play games on my PC either as that makes it very hot and the last thing I need is a bloody heater in my room. Boredom is a real issue until it cools down.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Wow some fantastic running going on. Not had a chance to read back properly yet

Final LT session this morning - 6:45/mi avg for the 7 miles which is around HM PB pace so the training block has worked well. Big week of mileage finishing with 22mi on Sunday and then taper a bit for the half next week
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cal - id sleep when i was tired if i were you, or drink more beer. Dorney sounds a good idea. Im tempted in case Goodwood is off.

Macca - you are probably one of the few keen to get out midday, great hot weather prep rhough. Given the choice i would rather run in the heat than in the cold, good prep for cooler autumn uk maras.

Hamo - getting plenty of walking in the contryside in so my legs are groaning (lots of time on feet and hills  though). Your club sounds good sending you a long run mate again. Interesting re vlm, i guess they have an allocated amount of places and then go lower down the rankings until they are full. Depends how many overseas they invite i guess.

Good work AWC, what sort of time do you think youll be aiming for at Goodwood ? Any more news on wether they think its a go-er?

8m early.
  • Options
    I don't like beer, to be honest...I very rarely drink as I don't like the taste of most booze (the exceptions being mulled wine and sweet fruity cocktails like pina coladas).

Anyway, I've thrown my hat into the Dorney ring. God help me.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: I’ll see how the HM goes but hopefully I can get close to a PB at Goodwood which would be 3:07 - was good to see their 10km race that Joe did went well so good sign for us I think. Feedback was all positive from what I can see. 

Macca: this weather is great training for Spartathlon. Make the most of it!

I must day I’m enjoying the holiday weather of a bit of sun and high teens temps compared to my mates back home on the south coast sweltering in 30+ degrees. Sounds hideous!
  • Options
    Another very hot night (30.9 on the theromostat at bedtime) so I woke a few times and then got up before 4. Problem now is it's getting light much later - I'll soon be starting my runs in the dark. But I got out at 5:20ish and it was light enough to see where I was going.

My rough plan for today was an MLR with a neg split (hopefully getting up to MP so I opted for the Tooting/Wandle/St George's Park route I used for my Vet Runners virtual races last week. I was going to do the Wandle/park loop twice, but as I got to the end of the park for the first time I realised I wasn't going to want to go around again - it was pretty humid. I'd been slowly gaining speed so I figured I'd just do a progression run with a cool-down mile or two instead.
    I did repeat the Wandle section, which was my fastest mile at 8:52 (faster than MP) but I was ready to stop then. I began a cool-down mile and I didn't feel great - very tired and almost a bit spaced out. I was quite ready to quit after that mile but when it came in, it was still quite fast (9:53 which is what I'd term steady pace rather than easy) so I decided to slow down further and give it another mile, especially as I was still a good way from home. Unfortunately, that last mile was mostly uphill so I was far from recovered when I stopped and I walked a further mile to cool-down properly.
    I know I don't use a proper HR monitor, but my watch does seem to be quite consistent and it was hitting high 170s for the last four miles (including the two cool-down miles) with a peak of 185. No wonder I didn't feel great at the end! Just as well I walked another mile to allow it come down again. Heat, dehydration and lack of sleep will have all had an effect here so I'm not worried, but it is quite interesting that my HR goes a lot higher than almost every formula thinks it should.
  • Options
    Cal...Not good, sounds horrendous that heat. Brilliant news, best of luck with Dorney.

AWC...Excellent LT session, the 7 mile block is a tough tough run, mentally and physically, and you smashed it. Training block certainly has worked well, i reckon you can trouble that pb alright. Many about the track?

TR...Walking in the countryside, bliss. Well done on still getting the runs in beside it too, cause as you say hiking can really drain the legs.

15 for me this morning all roughly +20 pace with the last mile (ish) kicked down to MP (ish) :lol: