Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    hamo, do you do 300m fast then 300 jog?

TR that's annoying that conditions look good when you can't go. Good news at least that you are feeling OK - that's the main thing.
    My digestion moves at a glacial pace and I have a tendency to reflux - I've thrown up in my mouth a little bit during races a couple of times, and that was just gels and water.

Millsy - as lovely as 25% sounds, I am trying not to spend on shoes if I can help it. After all, I do still have two pairs of Epic Reacts, on pair of Zoom Fly flyknits, a pair of 4% and of course the Alphas, all still in their boxes.
    Enjoy the shoes - I have a very old pair of Terra Kigers (I bought two pairs in 2015 and only just chucked the first pair out in January after trashing them at Squerryes parkrun). Nice and light but absolutely useless in mud.

Another runch today. Actually had a better night - woke at 3 but managed to go back to sleep until 5. I ate something at 6, planning to run at 9, but then it started chucking it down. Got hungry again waiting for the rain to stop so had a second breakfast and then had to wait for midday again. Weather was lovely by then but I really had to bully myself out the door as, the longer I leave it, the harder I find it is to make myself get out there.
    It was a decent run, anyway - covered 11 miles (and picked up an unexpected Local Legend in the process). Legs felt tired but pace was decent, at least until the last mile when I came to a busy road junction and had no option but to stop. Annoying. Traffic seems to be a lot worse at lunchtimes than mid-morning, so I'll try to avoid making a habit of it.

I would normally have rested today (I generally don't do more than three days in a row) but the weather looks bad on Sunday so I'm trying to avoid running then, which means I need to get 5 days in a row instead. Hammy was a bit grumbly so I may have to end up resting tomorrow and sucking up the bad day instead...guess we'll see.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Millsy - ill keep an eye out for nike black friday, hopefully some cheap deals like last yr

Cal - 4 hrs is a long time, id make that less or you'll be getting hungry again ?

I had some more typical minor head cold symptoms overnight, but RHR was still low so another steady 60min turbo.

The good thing with not running is that my running niggles dont hurt. Im probably going to keep a turbo or 2 a week going fwd and use them to do my quality work.
  • Options
    It's a balancing act, TR...don't like getting hunger pangs, but don't like throwing up inside my mouth either.
    Glad you are still feeling OK.

I was not feeling great when I woke up - I guess running four days in a row on some rather patchy sleep has left me feeling pretty rubbish. I woke up in the middle of the night again and my legs were aching like I'd run a marathon. I did get back to sleep (after a cup of tea, a biscuit and half an hour of reading) so I actually got 7 hours or so total, but I just felt groggy and horrible. Opted to go for a walk (4 miles or so) to try and clear my head before breakfast, then I went out again around 3pm for another 4 miles. Felt a lot better after the second walk - back was aching on the first one. I feel mostly normal now.

Suffice to say I am not going to attempt that Centurion thing - I know my body wouldn't cope with it in its current shape. (No point me going for the 50, either, since I regularly bang out 50s during marathon training).

Anyway, I should run tomorrow but the weather looks awful and I'm not sure how I'll feel. I might tough it out, or I might say screw it. We'll see when I wake up, I suppose.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - as with all things you can train yourself to digest on the go.

Another 60min here, had to actually work at keeping the HR down today as i wanted to keep it under 130,  but mid 120s seems familiar for easy stuff and i defo had the desire to give it some welly today - but never. Today was av 125, yday 112 fri 117.
  • Options
    Good work, TR.

Rest day yesterday (if you call walking 8 miles a rest day - I did a second walk in the afternoon) did me some good. Even with another split night (more reading and tea in the small hours) I felt fine when I woke up. I did, however, wait until 9 to go out as it was raining heavily before then. Once I did venture out it was mostly dry with a touch of light rain/drizzle at times, and some gusty winds. The main problem was the absolutely enormous puddles. I avoided them for the mostpart, until I tried to cut through Wandle Park and saw the path I usually take was completely submerged. I set out on the other path but then saw that was also submerged a bit further along so I hastily backtracked and went around via the roads.
    I did 10 miles total - I wasn't sure how far I'd run today as I'd figured somewhere between 8 and 13. I ended up opting for 10 as that would give me a 10% bump on last week's mileage and would leave me fresh enough to run tomorrow should I so wish. Typically, the sun came out once I'd finished my run. Oh well.
  • Options
    Was the HR increase your body fighting COVID-19 TR? Sensible to keep it easy whatever.
    Very wet roads & trails here too Cal.
    Cautious optimism regarding my injury. I dug out the old orthotic insoles I had made for me 4 years ago when I had really bad PF. I’ve done 4M, 4M, 6M, 6M the last 4 days. Yesterday’s 6 included our local hilly trail parkrun course. I put a bit of effort into it but nothing too brutal as I was wary of placing too much strain on the foot tendons so 22:50 was a decent result given the pain was still only on a 2/10 by the end. I did 25M on the bike today then repeated yesterday’s run but continuous & all easy. Good news is I’m still only on a 2/10 pain wise. Onwards & upwards.
  • Options
    That's promising, Jools - hope that means you're on the mend.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice cone cal,

Jools - thats encouraging, i wondered how you were doing. From memory (of previous turbo days in the past) todays HR was more like i remember. We'll find out, if i can keep it going as intended.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Jools, sounds promising that you are on the mend.

TR, I`m thinking of adding in some more cycling to my training for 2021 to take some of the impact off the  legs when there are more races in the calendar.

Cal, traffic seems as heavy now as it was when we were out of lockdown, especially in the middle of the day. Hope your hamstring is ok.

I just concentrated on getting some more miles in again. 14 on Saturday in torrential rain and then 21 off road yesterday (76 for the week). Legs felt much better in the latter stages of yesterdays run compared to last week. Feeling a bit more confident about the 100 mile week now but not sure it`s something I would like to do on a regular basis.
  • Options
    TR - No 100 mile week here I don't think!! Hope you are allowed out soon.
    SQ - Good to see you back.

Tuesday I did 6*800m and 4*200m with reps of 3:02/6/2/3/5/1 for the 800s and 38/42/38/39 for the 200s.  3 miles at MP on Thursday (6:57/46/44) and a 14 miler on Saturday for 44 miles for the week.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: 10lb on a run - now that is impressive. Even in my 100s I onlhy ever manage to lose about 4-5lbs
    TR: glad to hear the wife is improving. Great sign that her appetite is returning. Bet you are counting the days down to Thursday now.
    Millsy: that is certainly a record for me!
    Macca: I'm in for C2C as well and just looking at a Running Miles 6hr in December to keep me honest into the year end
    SQ: glad to see you are back at it
    Not sure I'm going to attempt the C100 this time - feels like too soon to get my motivation levels up after the disappointment of the SDW100.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Millsy - top weekend. The 100m week is defo off the menu here now.

Good mix of training there Steve

AWC - understood re the disappointment. Defo counting down to Thursday, ive booked a couple of days leave as i have so much to catch up on, and can keep an eye on the spo.

The spo is improving, but her breathing is like she is at altitude.

60min steady turbo done, my ribs ache from all the leaning on the bars i will endeavour tp change position more. Not sure when I'll run again, maybe at the weekend. I need to continue being careful for a while yet.
  • Options

Sorry things are so rough, TR. Hope you are all ok soon. 

Possibly some P&L style uphill sprints then flat strides could help with turnover, Macca?

You know you’re shifting when rep paces start with a 4, Hamo. Nice one. Out of interest, have you done a mile race ever?

I like the looks of the Wildhorse, Millsy

Cal, I quite like the feeling of running whilst hungry. Makes me feel a bit lighter on my feet and I soon find any hunger pangs are gone. That said, I frequently run on a relatively full stomach through necessity. Not ideal, but better than no run. Not a fan of running in the rain? Hope you get a good weather slot soon.

That sounds very promising, Jools. Talking of your cycling, and Millsy mentioning it, I think that when I am ready to start a plan (possible to 30 - 40M 5k P&L), I will keep one or two turbos in there with the 4 - 5 days running. 

Nigh on 6 minute miling is always decent, Steve.

Have now done three lots of two days on, one day off running. Still capping things at 30 minutes, and have been varying the intensity depending on how fatigued I am from WattBike action. Slow paces have been about 9:20 and a hard effort in Sunday’s wind was a pleasing 7:25 pace, albeit for (back in the day) marathon pace HR 😂

Did wonder if I had some soreness where the stressy was on Thursday last week, but I think it was just fatigue. Completely unnoticeable since. 

Considering trying a few gentle strides, perhaps on an incline. I have already been doing a few relatively heavier weights again - all in an effort to increase bone density. I will try adding some plyometric box jump style things in a week or two. 

Oh, and managed an 80% weekly mileage increase to top out at 18. Strangely, this actually feels like quite an impressive feat. 

• Options
    SQ - Sounds like things are moving in the right direction.
    TR - Hope you get out for a run soon. Hope the Mrs is OK.

Today was tough, 5*1k off 90s rest then 4*200m off 60s rest. Reps of 3:47/57/51/57/55 then 38/42/38/37, 1k reps were meant to be 10k pace, but was closer to HM pace on most of them, but I guess that is where I am now, so will work with that. Happy to have hit sub 5 min/mile pace for the last 200m rep though!! Just over 10 miles for the day.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - youre controlling that comeback well. Good that its mending well and you are quite relaxed about any aches.

Steve - you're back on the pace nicely. SPO is improving, she'll be a bit under powered for a while. I can see how this flattens the oldies or less fit folks.

Usual 60min done. This is a bit like prison with all the confinement and backside bashing !
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: you seem to be controlling things really well. I guess any little feeling at all around the stress fracture area your brain will detect as something serious.
    TR; your bum will be well acustomed to the saddle by the end of this!
    Steve: that sounds like a beast of a session
    S&C session done this morning - feeling a bit achey after yesterdays so will have a couple of days off before the next one. Heading out for 6-7 miles at lunch. Still doing easy stuff but might throw in some hills and LTs in the next week or so.
    I've entered a 6hr race in December - similar to the Wendover Woods one last month but this thime its pancake flat - will be good training for the C2C race in January as the 2nd half of that race is 20mi along Grand Union Canal
  • Options
    TR, glad she's improving. It does seem to take a lot out of some people for a long time.
    SQ, good progress. I feel like I should do some plyo to help with my pitiful stride length, but until the gym opens again I've nothing to jump on (the park benches are a bit too high for me - I am really, really awful at jumping).
    AWC, fingers crossed for that race.

Sleep is still poor but the rest day yesterday meant I had energy for a faster run today. I did 8 miles, with the first five easy/steady and then the last three fartlek-style. I was very happy to beat my PB on the road behind my house at the end of the run (I must admit I really enjoy the segments aspect of Strava).
  • Options
    Millsy...Nice bit of saving on the Nike shoes. That is a big week, and a good training stimulus of a MLR followed by a LR. You should have no issues with the 100 mile week.

Cal...Yea, i do 300m effort, 300m jog back. Nice work on the runching and the local legend and starva segment nabbing. Sensible decision re the centurion virtual, it's good that you know yourself and not to push it. Hopefully your sleep pattern can get a bit better, but that is a good run this morning all the same.

TR...Every cloud and all that, with the running niggles not hurting you at the minute, hopefully the "break" can give them a chance to recover so when you start again they are more manageable. Fair play to you holding back on the turbo and not "giving it some welly" like you wanted too, very sensible. Glad to hear your wife is improving, however slowly, how is your son Faring? I chuckled at your "seems like prison" statement :lol: 

Jools...Glad to see the injury is improving, wouldn't be like you not to give the (not) parkrun a go, even if it was in 3rd gear :lol: 

Steve...Standard week from you, banging out class reps and MP miles, excellent work. Nice 1k reps, they are a tough enough session, and gives you a good base to work from as you say. 

SQ...I have done one 1 mile race (4.54 but it is on a brutal hill, 1st half up, 2nd half down), and a 1 mile TT (4.34)...it is a truly awful awful distance, takes about a week for your lungs to go back into your chest afterwards :lol: Exciting news that you feel ready to start a 5k plan, delighted to hear it. That is an encouraging, more than decent and most importantly sensible weeks running.

AWC...Happy days, nice that you have a 6 hour race to enter. Good to see you starting to think of LT work etc again already.

10 mile Saturday and a 20 miler on Sunday brought me to 74 miles for the week last week. I think i'll hover around that mark (maybe go up to 80 miles) for the next wee while until i start into anther specific block. But as Belfast Marathon have just postponed their May Day date next year who knows when that will be. 

Started this week off with a 7 mile recovery run yesterday, and a 10 miler this morning.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - ive been doing a bit of S and C too, recently bought my lad a weights rack and bench for Christmas, so we have set that up. Just need a few extra plates now. Is that a real or virtual race ?

Nice one cal

Hamo - that would be a very good tick over level for you, plenty of miles with a nice long run, but backed off from your usual max so keeping you a bit fresher.

Ive noted that Gloucester mara has beem moved back to end of Feb, and is now covid secure at castle coombe motor cct (15 laps), might enter that, i do like a fixture to get me out the door. 7 ish weeks into the new year, so it'll be something to build back up towards in December, depending upon how i go over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    That's a good sessions, Steve.

6 hours on the flat sounds more daunting than with a few hills, AWC. Although you will know better than me here!

Don't need a step, Cal. Some jumping lunges, single leg hops etc would do the trick. 

You've got a sub 4:30 in you at least, hamo

I'm sure it would be fine at Castle Coombe, TR, but a word of warning about the organisers - extremely hit and miss company. 

4M recovery today at 9 min/miling. I really do enjoy just cruising along  :)
  • Options
    SQ, I don't think the downstairs neighbours would enjoy that. :D
    I have to say some of my favourite running is when I'm just out cruising, as you put it, not trying to hit any particular speed. I do enjoy sprints/strides, too...but definitely not LT etc. Ugh.

Strong running, hamo - you seem like a machine (at least to me).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - mmm thats not good, dont want a comprised race.
  • Options
    TR I agree with SQ. Despite training & working in Gloucester I wouldn't touch Gloucester Marathon with a barge pole even if it was at Castle Combe. At least they didn't ought to be able to get the course wrong (as has happened on a number of their other races) on a closed circuit event but they could easily lose track of laps - I bet they've HM & Ultra distances on offer too just to add to the confusion. No chance you'd get your money back if they have to cancel either - they've form on that score too.
    Good to hear from you again SQ & especially as it's because you're happily running regularly again.
    Class sessions Steve.
    Nice Strava segging Cal. You really do need to sort your sleep out - it would make the world of difference to your body's ability to recover & reduce the frequency of those niggles which plague you.
    5M along the canal yesterday & 4.5M at lunch today. Going to risk a 10K run commute back shortly as the foot is just a niggle now. Yet to try running without the orthotic insoles yet though.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - good rehab skills........I'll strike Glos off my list then.
  • Options
    Meant to say Hamo - an indication of how bad my injury was is that I didn't even attempt a jog round a parkrun course 10 days ago!! 70M a week will keep you fighting fit. 
    Cheers TR. Hopefully the turbo is keeping you fit & the virus is getting a battering from your immune system so you'll be back out running shortly. You must've almost completely eaten into your cushion by now? I need 85M weeks from here til Dec 31st to make it so looking pretty unlikely tbh.
    Pleased to report the foot felt solid enough on the way home to risk an extension to 8M including a fartlek session: 3x800m, 200m hill sprint, 3x500m. Foot was up to a 3/10 by the end but a few hours later no perceptible harm done so onwards & upwards :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're nicely on the mend, now jools. Well managed......i needed 50X miles through Nov and December, i wont do it now, and im not going to chase it as im defo not jumping straight back in at my usual ~80mpw.
  • Options
    SQ...Lovely recovery, i enjoy the "cruising along" feeling too.

Cal...Thanks Cal, though i'm not sure about machine, more stubborn and pig headed so make myself run whether i want to or not :lol:

TR...Good that you have got the advice of Jools and SQ about that marathon so you don't end up shafted. Sensible not jumping straight back into the big mileage weeks, build it up slowly.

Jools..Very true, things must be bad when you miss a parkrun, virtual or otherwise, glad you seem to be well on the mend now though with those runs, and especially the fartlek only causing a niggle to the foot. It's always a confidence boost when you run fast with no lasting damage coming back from an injury.

11 miles with some LT work in the middle for me this morning. I progressed last weeks 3x 10 mins, to 12 mins, 12 mins, 10 mins off 3 mins jog, while keeping the average pace of the efforts the same (5.30 m/m ish) if not slightly quicker than last week, so a pleasing morning.

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    TR - promising news for your family and yourself. Good call to take it easy, there will always be races next year. The turbo will have kept your fitness from disappearing. Enjoy that first run back when you have it. 

Jools - also glad to hear you’re almost over your injury and even getting some intensity back in. 

SQ - nice to see you stringing days together and being very sensible about your comeback. Look forward to hearing how you get on with the P&L 5k plan. 

Hamo - some nice running, are you building up for anything or just ticking over?

AWC - good to have a target race to keep the motivation up. 

Like some of you I’m not sure if I’ll do the virtual challenges now. Probably time to wind it back for the rest of the year and just run when I feel like it. Keeping fingers crossed for parkrun though, it’s already returned in Canberra and Queensland should start next month. Did a (not)parkrun last week in 19:08 so aiming to get that back down to 18:30 before it starts up properly whenever that may be. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hammo, you are putting in some great sessions. The split times are all starting with a number most of us can only dream of which should put you in a great place for the next race.

John, an 18:30 parkrun on a solo TT would be a  good effort. Do you have a date for parkrun starting up in your area? 

Another double for me yesterday with 4 miles at MP in the evening, just trying to keep a bit of speed in the legs whilst building the miles. As always MP feels much harder than it should  when you haven`t done much of it for a while.
  • Options
    SQ - My favourite type of run.....just cruising along!
    Jools - Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    Hamo - Nicely ticking over, and superb LT session.
    John - Nice (not) parkrun time.
    Cal - Agreed with the others, not sure who you operate on so little sleep!!

Like SQ, just an easy cruise today, 6m at 9:18 average. My 6 hour event has now opened entries after having a waiting list previously, different location to planned, but still local. I'll enter but not sure if it will go ahead at the start of Feb!