Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    15 miles...few aches and pains and very slow, but the stamina's there. Nice weather...sunny but a cool breeze. 

YTD: 754
  • Options
    Been given the go ahead for swimming and pool walking. No running for another 2 months at least and no to Dubai marathon in December.
  • Options
    Massive congrats Harmander ! 

MrM2, I feel you pain I've tried such myself and failed ! What I do like about Strava is matched runs and have a few routes that I regally run to see progress. I've gone back and purposely done hard sessions again to see if it's easier. Generally not 'easier' but speed improves

Not a great week of training for me as expected but back at the 1.2 training now for October.

YTD 708.2
  • Options
    Thank you all for the good wishes for little Veer Singh and the 1000 miles.
    Good to at least hear from Dubai - patience is really hard.
    Congrats on any landmarks achieved in the last week.
    I have felt it necessary to start a controlled training programme to get me into pacing mode.  As a build up, I aim to run at least as fast as the fastest pacing slot I am committed to - (just waiting to hear from TCS Toronto Waterfront Marathon on 16 October where they were offering 4:55, which is a 7min/km - I used to be the regular 5:10 pacer there so may decline and just run to enjoy a more leisurely pace instead for once).
    So for Parkrun, I have to beat 35 mins - the fastest I did while pacing recently was 35:24.

02/07 - 10.25
    03/07 - 13.77
    (24.02)

YTD = 1024.03 miles.

Two quick messages, our club still has about 10 entries to the Vitality Big Half on 4 September - they cost £10 each for our club members but we are offering them at that price if you were to donate another £10 towards our Clubhouse appeal.  This is still less than half price as the normal cost is £46.

We are also offering a guaranteed place at the TCS London Marathon on 2 October allocated to our club to raise funds for the Fauja Singh Clubhouse appeal - this will go to the highest bidder - please DM me if interested by the end of this week.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dubai...shame about that but at least you know where you stand, so to speak. Good luck with the rehab.
    You are a pacing legend, Harmander!

6 miles today (5 easy with some strides). Nice day for it. After I finished and was walking back to my house, I stopped to pet a pup and got my legs licked. Guess I was salty.  :D

YTD: 760
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Finally got my arse out again yesterday...needed to get some mojo back, been struggling to enjoy it since Man v Horse weirdly...nice wee lunchtime run in work helped.
    799 miles YTD
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Sunday evening was awful. I'd been gardening all day Saturday, not even my own garden, my mother in laws. Sunday, went for a big eat out breakfast, drove 180 miles home from mother in laws, drunk next to nothing all day and then, to restore normality, went running more or less the moment I got home. Did 5.1.

Due to working late yesterday, went out before work which is rare and something I don't really like. Not to bad and enjoyed 7.3 in almost exactly an hour. 

Ytd: 647.7
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Preemptive congrats on the 800, Hobie.
    Donnie, hope you're not dehydrating yourself doing that.

Today: 3 mile recovery run in the morning...low HR... then 8 mile trail race in the evening. Last one of the Wimbledon series, and the longest. Took it sensibly but was hampered by intestinal cramps towards the end. Very unpleasant. Not the first time I've had that in a race - wondering if I've developed IBS in my old age.

YTD: 771
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Club run last night, I took them on a practice of our parkrun route, so couple of miles warm up & cool down parkrun sandwich...lost a few of the runners who couldn't find the finish....oops.
    807 miles YTD
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Easy 6 this morning. Next couple of weeks are going to be hell...30 degree temps and no end in sight. I hate summer. 

YTD: 777
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Dubai... Glad that you can now exercise in the pool but sorry that the Dubai Marathon is 'off'.

Cal... You are certainly mixing it up; 8' trail and a 15'. You asked about boredom with the 'triangles' and loops. I'm probably too simple to get bored! But more seriously, it helps to know the distance in advance, so that I can give my wife a fairly accurate time for returning. Also I like to compare 'like-with-like' and get an idea of where I am in terms of fitness/strength, etc... It sort of keeps me honest. Provided you have it clear in your mind just what you want to achieve you can stay in control of the impact. (similarly with treadmill or track sessions...)

Dangeroushamster... Have to agree that there is not a lot that is 'getting easier'!

Harmander... A 'controlled training programme'! I'm very impressed!

Hobie... Hope all your runners have now found the finish! Congrats. on passing 800'.

Donnie... Out before work...Well done.

Needed to take three days out at the beginning of the week due to severe neck pain. Steady improvements allowed me to get out on Wed. and Thurs. for a couple of 13 mile runs. Happy.

YTD: 1053' .
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    No summer here, as yet, Cal: just touched 20 yesterday and was 16 for my run just now. 

Today's hour brought up 681.28 miles.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Cal I'd swap you!! Currently 43 degrees! 
  • Options
    Congrats on the 800 Hobie.

MrM2, It's a back to basics monitored approach. Briefly:

If I was to train for a 7min/km marathon (5 hour pacing), I would go out for a training run (say 9.3km as it is measured route), I would try and keep to the required pace but if unable  and only manage 8min/km, then record the session as:

420/480 = 0.875 (87.5%) - target/actual pace.

9.30/42.25 = 0.219 (22.0%) - actual/target distance.

Multiplying both = 0.875 x 0.219 = 19.26% (Achieved worth of run)

This run is worth just 19.26 % of what I am aiming for. So any increase in distance or pace improves the 'Achieved' to a figure closer to 100%

A half marathon pace of 7.5 min/km would therefore be worth 46.44%

Honestly, it is not as complicated as it looks.

05/07 - 7.25
    06/07 - 8.25
    07/07 - 8.25
    (23.75)

YTD = 1047.78 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dubai, I expect you have air con, though? And you have a pool.
  • Options
    Correct Cal, just been aqua walking 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Harmander... Thanks for that. Makes sense. But you could score more than 100%, and that wouldn't actually be better?

Went out for an easy 3 miles last night, in preparation for some stretches.

Decided to join the local parkrun this morning. Quads were still aching from a couple of longer runs in the week, so not surprised that my time of 29:17 was a minute slower than six weeks ago. Finished 72nd out of 110. (Nobody else in my age category.)
    A mile before, and a couple afterwards, makes a total of 9' to add..

YTD: 1062
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    4 miles today - parkrun with a 1 mile warm-up. Went to Horsham - nice park though not the fastest of courses. Did 28:27 - not awesome but hoping that's down to the warm weather/lack of sleep and the mid-week race.

YTD: 781
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    16 mile long run. Everything hurt. Well everything on my right side, anyway. At least it wasn't too hot.

YTD: 797
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... Congrats on another busy week-end; parkrun, and then 16' today. Close to 800'!

Got out before the sun warmed up too much. 8 miles of undulating, country roads. With the traffic being so light I ran on the road rather than the 'foot-path' for much of the distance. (10:30/mile).

YTD: 1070'.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Since last posting,

a morning 7 which I enjoyed but my watch strap broke, watch hit the ground and the screen went blank. 

An evening 5 when the watch strap now held together with an elastic band, snapped again, and the screen went blank again. 

An evening 5.1 in stupidly hot weather. 

Keep cool everyone. 

Ytd: 664.8
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Time for a new watch, Donnie? Or at least a new strap!
    Well done MrM2 - good pace.

And over the hump!
    8 miles this morning, which felt better than Sunday despite the fact it was warm and humid even early doors. 

YTD: 805
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Cheap elastic bands don't work! Try the big ones that the postie drops! Hope the watch didn't have to spend too long in A&E.

Thanks Cal...Strange how one run can differ so much from another. Glad you had a good one. And congrats. on passing 800'.

I had the opposite experience; cut my losses at 8 miles, and I had such a good plan for an intended 10 miles. Guess I'll save that for another day?

YTD: 1078' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I didn't feel good this morning, probably because it was so hot in my room I didn't sleep at all well. Fortunately it was just a 5 mile recovery run so took it nice and slow.

YTD: 810
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on passing 800 Cal.

I'm having all sorts of watch weirdness Donnie, GPS was a bit off for the last couple of runs, then battery went from 35% to 0% in an afternoon & since then it's still going despite saying 0% for the last 2 days. And now I've got 2 Strava runs the same & no idea how to delete one of them so I've taken 9 miles off my running total.

825 miles YTD
  • Options
    Congrats on the 800 Cal, have had those indifferent days too - must be the heat.
    Little grandson is two weeks old today - he is happier with no clothes on (except the nappy).

09/07 - 8.25
    10/07 - 10.25
    13/07 - 8.25
    (26.75)

YTD = 1074.53 miles

New instructions from the TCS Pace Team Coordinator.

Pacers will need to finish no more than one minute under the target time and be within 30 seconds of the half way time.  I think this is going to be tough ask for the faster pacers whereas the slower ones (like me) OUGHT to find it easier. No banking of time and even pace throughout. This electronic monitoring will be interesting.  This will also be true at the Vitality Big Half.
    I feel very privileged and honoured to be picked again as I understand there are only 50% of previous pacers chosen - fresh blood is good as it must have been the case when I was first chosen.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harmander, in this weather we're all happier with no clothes on.
    Well done on being picked again...that does seem quite tough though!
    Hobie, time for a new watch, perhaps?

8 miles this morning. It was fresher out there but my body didn't feel great - aches and pains. I think some of it is down to how I sleep. Not sure what to do about that.

YTD: 818
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Been to Scarborough watching cricket, scarbados to the locals!! Not sure if we have any other cricket fans amongst us, a heart breakingly close defeat for Yorkshire. 

5 miles last night in a warm blustery wind and 6.2 this morning in relatively usual mid July warmth. 

Watch strap holding together with a paper clip. 

Ytd: 676.0
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Donnie, as an adopted Lancastrian I was glad to see the Yorkies slip to a defeat! Hope that the same will happen at finals day! Had hoped to go but the only tickets available were £129 and above. 

Last couple of days have been harder than expected: on Wednesday mid run I ran straight into an overhanging tree branch which I simply didn't see due to the glare from the sun. Badly grazed shoulder from the tree and a bruised hip from the subsequent fall. Could have been worse! A little tender yesterday and today and tomorrow's parkrun is likely to be affected. 

YTD: 706.2
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Alehouse: Yorkshire had tickets on sale at £92 for finals day. Not prepared to pay that plus it would mean being on the road at 6am with home time after midnight. I'm tipping Lancs to win the whole thing. I'm a Yorkshire member but mum and dad are from Warrington and Wigan so I've deep Lancashire connections. They're my second team, if its not us I'd be happy with a red rose victory.