Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I did 8.2 which I run with a biggish effort, today I've followed up by gardening all day. No one else home, so undisturbed, plugged into test match special (radio with an ear piece, low tech but effective) a perfect day. Result on tonight's run wasn't great, found it hard work. Did 7.4 in lovely conditions and enjoyed it, but the legs were a bit heavy. 

Ytd: 532.2
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Gardening's hard work, Donnie!

5K race at the Olympic Park (entered for the Jubilee-themed medal, honestly). Very warm and it was clear I was still tired from Wednesday's race so ran a rather underwhelming 27:42. At least I don't feel too sore.

YTD: 603
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal...Another race. Must say that a celebratory 5km sounds more sensible than a 70' week!

Feeling refreshed at the start of today's 14'. Not so fresh at the end! O'all pace down to 10:23/mile.

YTD: 843' .
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Nice sounding race Cal, 5k is a tough distance...I don't like being in the red for 3 miles.MrM2, impressive mileage.
    5 and a bit miles with our Friday group tonight, before the thunder arrived.
    700 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Upton Court parkrun today, for two reasons: it has a view of Windsor Castle (so, somewhat appropriate) and I also need a letter U for my parkrun alphabet.
    Got the tube to Paddington, then the train to Slough, and then ran 2 miles there (it's actually a bit less than that but I went a bit around the park first), did the parkrun, then a more direct way back that was just over a mile. My parkrun time (27:39) was actually a little better than the race yesterday, even though it was mostly on grass. Although it was a fair bit cooler.

YTD: 609
  • Options
    Congratulations on the 700 Hobie.
    Training a group of newbies has really helped me clear out some Covid cobwebs and having only incrementally increasing my pace to keep the niggles at bay gave me my fastest parkrun time since it restarted.

03/06 - 7.25
    04/06 - 8.25 
    (15.50)

YTD = 825.66 miles

Will be introducing the newbies to hills next week.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh I missed the 700. Well done Hobie!
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... well done on another parkrun. I thought, for a moment, that you had made the trip down to Dorset; there is a parkrun in Upton Park, near Poole.

Harmander...Glad that you are managing to up-the-pace without upsetting your niggly bits!

Again, feeling surprisingly refreshed for my next run, and was feeling confident about another 14, rather than splitting it 7/7. Soon found out that the pace had suffered another drop, but quite happy with how it turned out, overall. So, 14' at 10:42/mile pace. (First day's average was 10 min/mile, so quite a drop-off.)
    Quite breezy today, and a hint of rain. But, job done; 70 miles in honour of Queen Elizabeth II  .

A rest day is planned for tomorrow.

YTD: 857' .
  • Options
    Well done on the 70 mile week MrM2 - only remember doing that mileage when I used to be an athlete (about half a century ago) lol
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Well done on 70 mile week MrM2, great running.
    I seem to have gained a cold (not Covid) a week before my favourite race of the year...hopefully will get it cleared up by Saturday. 
    Got out today to do a bit of hill work...6.5 miles with over 1000 ft of climb.
    706 miles YTD 
    64,786ft of elevation 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed, Hobie.
    MrM2, you are going from strength to strength.
    The same cannot be said of me. Felt rubbish today - I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I've had two races and a parkrun in four days and my sleep's been broken every night. Only did 4 miles and have been slumped around since.

YTD: 613
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: 70 miles in a week is hard work. Congratulations. Last week, I seemed to have more time and run a little further, not much more just a few extra miles and that left me feeling like I'd worked hard. To run 70 is a big effort. 

Hobie: hope you're fit and well ahead of the coming weekend and that the race goes well. 

Cal: well done on the recent events. It's always a good feeling to be on a start line. 

I did my usual Saturday park run and then Sunday, Monday and Tuesday have been the same 5 mile loop in roughly the same time (40 mins). I always enjoy the after work run. 

Ytd: 550.3
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... Nearest I got to being an 'athlete' was probably about 1959 when I gained my Athletics badge at secondary school! (Seem to remember being one of the best at 'throwing the cricket ball'!!!)

Donnie... Thanks. Really enjoyed the 70 mile challenge, but also enjoyed the rest day!

Cal... Thanks. Yes. Some things seem to be going 'right' at the moment. Would welcome an event of some sort in the near future. Not sure if I'm quite ready for marathon distance but would like to get there soon.

Enjoyed 8 mile runs on Mon. and Tues. (Runs were quite different but both averaged 10:11/mile pace.)
    Hoping to do a short run later today.  (Still doing lots of stretching)

YTD: 873' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did an easy 6 yesterday, then 3 recovery this morning and the Parkland Relays (approx 3 miles) this evening. This is a club relay in Richmond Park - usually terrifically good fun but for some reason, my club couldn't manage to field many runners this time. We only had one female team and two male teams, and me being on the female team meant it was rather slow.  :D Anyway, hopefully we'll get more peeps next time.

YTD: 625
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Lovely 5 mile club social (cake) run last night, trails, bit of road & some lovely views out over the estuary. Taking it easy...hopefully good & ready for the weekends fun.
    711 miles YTD
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... 5 mile club social, with cake! sounds far too civilised!!

Cal... Another event (Parkland Relays) to keep you on your toes! (I've never got involved in relays; they always seem to be for the fastest runners!)

Changed plans yesterday, and didn't run; weather became very unsettled.
    Thought that I might be ready for a decent 13.1 today, but body didn't want to know.
    A warm-up mile and a wind-down mile gave me 15 miles for today. The half marathon averaged 10:30/mile pace, and I had hoped for something much closer to 10mins.. Need to keep my runs to single figures for a while, and work on pace. Did I say that before?!

YTD: 888' .
  • Options
    MrM2, - I was born in 1959 lol. 10:30/mile - I am just dipping under 11 but pleased as I incrementally try to maintain a tempo throughout (for as long as possible).  The GP who I am training to take on the 10km managed 210m first time did a continuous 6.5km this morning - after just three weeks.
    Our club did a 48 hour relay over a weekend a few years ago - 2 hour sessions for each pair of runners (for safety over the night hours). We are going to revive that once our clubhouse is built.
    Cal, will be sending out the Vitality Big Half invite as we received the console today.
    Nice pic Hobie.

05/06 - 7.25
    06/06 - 8.25
    07/06 - 7.25
    09/06 - 10.47
    (33.22)

YTD = 858.88 miles

And now for other news - the long running (pun unintended) saga of our neighbour who had cheekily submitted a full application to finish off his development (the one deemed illegal by the Planning Inspectorate two months ago and had Enforcement Notice to remove in its entirety within six months) had a decision to decline determination under Section 70c of the Town and Country Planning Act - he has lost 70 days of his six months - I suspect that he is not going to be a happy bunny tonight.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    About time I reported in!

Think today was day 325 of my streak. Have been ticking over whilst trying to manage a few niggles; mainly hip flexors and hamstrings and I think brought on by sitting ten to twelve hours a day at the laptop marking exams! Didn't realise the damage it would do! 

YTD: 572.7 miles
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse... 325 days...and niggles ? Hope you can keep it going without upsetting your system.

Another rest day yesterday to try and keep the body 'happy'. Obviously didn't work, as parkrun this morning took me just over 30 mins.!  Thought that I'd left the 30+ behind but it is another experience of running up the 'down' escalator that I'm getting accustomed to in old age.

An easy mile before parkrun, and an easy 3 miles after. (Parkrun time was 30:11)

YTD: 895' .
  • Options
    That is great going Alehouse - keep it up.
    Apparently someone made a complaint against me when I was pacing last week - for going faster than announced.  I unreservedly apologised as I feel there are no circumstances (except for emergencies) why this should happen and promised to regulate my pace better in future - incidentally, the complainant achieved a PB.
    I was so cautious today that I ended up being 10 seconds over - not heard any complaints so far.

10/06 - 5.63
    11/06 - 8.25
    (13.88)

YTD = 872.76 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2...yeah they can be...but relays are a load of fun. If you get the chance, do one.
    alehouse...I'm a gamer. Hip flexors and hamstrings are my biggest issues, so yeah.
    Lovely pic, Hobie.
    Harmander that hardly seems fair!

6 easy yesterday then parkrun (with 1 mile warm-up today). Got offered a lift to Black Park (a country park not far from Slough...one of those places that is a pain if you don't have a car). Lovely park, nice cafe. Didn't cane it as I've a race tomorrow...29:07.

YTD: 635
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Harmander...Feel sorry for those who take their parkrun that seriously!

Out before 7 this morning, to enjoy some sunshine...and quiet roads.
    Today's challenge was to find a route that didn't involve fields or nettles!
    Just a comfortable 6 miles. 
    Not racing, but trying to keep fairly close to 10 min/mile pace, o'all. (Managed 10:19/mile)

YTD: 901' .
  • Options
    Cal and MrM2 (congrats on the 900), it did strike me as odd to me but I felt I ought to apologise as I take any criticism as a gift to improve myself.

Did 12.25 miles today to get over it.

YTD = 884.01 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 900, MrM2...you're raking those miles in. Even ahead of Harmander, and that's saying something.
    Another 10 to add today...Dorking 10. Well organised race but it wasn't my day. Personal worst. Ugh.

YTD: 645
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Well done on 900 MrM2, very impressive.
    Very mature of you Harmander to apologise for your shocking failure at parkrun pacing....really.🤣.
    Great streak Alehouse.
    Man v Horse yesterday was amazing...rain, mud, sun, heat, more rain...and for only the 3rd time in history man beat horse....not me obviously. 
    20.5 miles with nearly 4000ft of climbing. 
    733 miles YTD 
    68,897 ft elevation 
  • Options
    Thank you all for your understanding. I will try not to come 96 seconds under at the Great North Run (and the Vitality Big Half - waiting to get confirmation).

Cal, just sent you an email about the Vitality.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it 22.5, Hobie? Had some clubmates there...not the winner but one was in the top 10 solo runners (18th including horses and relays).
    Thanks Harmander...done and done.  :)
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone. I've read all the posts, great stuff. 

To much to comment on but Im  just about to Google 'man v horse race'.

My running 5.5 (Thurs), 5.0 (Fri) parkrun and 1.7 tonight. 

Ytd:565.6
  • Options
    Great running and racing everyone

Issues continue, was on the way back and then sprained my ankle, went over a hidden hole out walking with my wife

Still swimming every day at least

YTD 672.66 miles

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Today was a 5th day of running (6.4). Hats off to alehouse and Dubai with their ongoing and recent streak. I need a rest already. 

Ytd: 572.0